It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critical New Quake Could Mean Impending Disaster For Japan

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
reply to post by Starwise

I saw it in a thread yesterday with source but I couldn't find it today so I guess ignore it I posted a similar statement earlier in the thread maybe TA can help with this...

Dr. Daniel McNamara, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, told The Huffington Post that the disaster left a gigantic rupture in the sea floor, 217-miles long and 50 miles wide. It also shifted Japan's coast by eight feet in some parts, though McNamara was quick to explain much of the coast likely didn't move as far.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks I had been looking for this since last night...well there ya go a grand canyon on the sea floor!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Thank You! I actually looked up the grand canyon stats and the sea bed rupture is actually 4-5 times wider than the grand canyon, and not quite as long but close!

www.nps.gov...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
Thank You! I actually looked up the grand canyon stats and the sea bed rupture is actually 4-5 times wider than the grand canyon, and not quite as long but close!

Small ripple compared to the depth of that trench at 9000 meters

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
oops

edit on 14-3-2011 by Gamecock because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
A good three hours with no activity apparently.. The calm before the storm?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmy909

This is the longest period yet of inactivity since the 11th. Coincidentally, small quakes have picked back up in Cali, Nevada, and Alaska. I'm curious as to what will be heading our way tonight/tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I have uploaded an animated GIF of the earthquakes off Honshu from the 9th to the 14th inclusive, by day so you can see the progress of each day in relation to the last. There is a fade in between each day which adds massively to the file size.

The download is 21MB and is a 7zip file. Unpacked it is 96MB

tokohu_09-14.7z

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
There are like 10+ pages to look through, so was there actually another huge quake?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Are you a scientist? What are your credentials?

It sickens me to see people come up with their "predictions" whenever a disaster like this happens. Are you giddily anticipating such a disaster?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Thank you True American for also noticing the area of concern where that last quake was! As I can’t help but stay glued to the USGS site (my husband thinks I’m a nut), I noticed that and thought the news and scientists would have been all over it! But no one seems to be talking about it!

It is all very interesting and scary at the same time…what do you think this will do to the other side of the ring of fire? If you look at the USGS the day before Japan started shaking there was a 5 off the coast of Oregon. In January, the Shinmoedake Volcano woke up after 52 years, (a bit of a warning I think) and has started erupting again yesterday (poor Japan can’t seem to get a break). And Hawaii’s Kiluaea has been quite active over the last few days as well. If the sea floor is spreading one way, it should be spreading the other way as well, right? It just depends on where the plate’s “breaking point” is?

Also if the “breaking point” is reached soon and a big one hits, what are the chances it could make Yellowstone go off?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Speculating with knowledge is something that i personally enjoy...trying to figure out where disaster may strike seems important no ??

I am sure the people of Japan are trying to figure this out wildly, would you accuse them of being "giddy"?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

awesome documents. ill be using those in class tomorrow ; ]

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Now are those just 4.5's and above? It looks like it.

People keep saying the activity has died down. But that's only partially true. The 4.5's and above have died down somewhat, yes. But the area is still very active with smaller quakes you are not seeing unless you are watching GEE, and they are still coming in nearly non stop. There have been very few periods of true "quiet," and those haven't lasted long.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Do you still believe something worse could occur?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
i have ulterior motives...i love sushi and manga...lol even if i didn't i would welcome them as neighbors before practically any other nation

The only problem with your plan, however generously it was meant, is that you've moved an island people whose entire culture is based on being close to the sea (including their invention of the second greatest food on Earth, sushi, first being Maryland steamed crabs), to two landlocked states with almost no water, much less access to the sea.

How 'bout we move 'em to the Gulf Coast and and they can help develop poorer states like Mississippi and Alabama? They are also REALLY good at building things like seawalls to protect against storm surges, something that region really needs.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Despite the fact that the screen shows only 40 minutes it tells me I cannot edit the previous post as 4 hours has passed. One day the programmers will get time on this site correct. That will be a pleasant change!

I wanted to add some thumbnails so you could see what the image sequence in the GIF is like.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3145d7b30033.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
5.0 just happened in Africa

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
Are you a scientist? What are your credentials?

It sickens me to see people come up with their "predictions" whenever a disaster like this happens. Are you giddily anticipating such a disaster?

And it sickens me to keep watching people like you trying to restrict people's thoughts.
The only credentials I need are an ATS membership and a little evidence. I have both. All you have brought is lip service. How about debating the point.

All your "credentialed" people have said that triple juncture was too far away, that it would not activate. So why is that quake there then? Look at it. Right on the line. I am saying that that quake in context to the rest of the activity is potentially very dangerous. Tell me why I am wrong. If asking me about my credentials is the best you got, then

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
TA ... I just discovered something that has me seriously on edge. I know this thread is about Japan and the potential for another disasterous earthquake, but I feel there is a connection here, with my discovery. Adding to that, I really value your research and opinions. So please allow me to share and please provide back any and all feedback, including thoughts, instincts, etc.

Ok... we know that with this Japan megaquake, along with the ridiculous amount of aftershocks, the subducting of tectonics plates is in full force here. Science backs that up as well.

Subduction zones is the key here in what I just researched and discovered.

I've been reading a lot lately about "mud volcanos". I really didn't understand them so I did some research.

Wikipedia Source

The terms mud volcano or mud dome are used to refer to formations created by geo-excreted liquids and gases, although there are several different processes which may cause such activity. Hot water mixes with mud and surface deposits. Mud volcanoes are associated with subduction zones and about 700 have been identified. Temperatures are much cooler in these processes than found at igneous volcanoes. The largest mud volcano structures are 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) in diameter and reach 700 metres (2,300 ft) in height.

About 86% of the gas released from these structures is methane, with much less carbon dioxide and nitrogen emitted. Ejected materials are often a slurry of fine solids suspended in liquids which may include water, which is frequently acidic or salty, and hydrocarbon fluids.

So I continue reading down the page and hit the location areas of the known mud volcanos. This is where my jaw dropped and hit the floor.

An unnamed mud volcano 30 metres (98 ft) high and with a top about 100 metres (328 ft) wide, 24 kilometres (15 mi) off Redondo Beach, California, and 800 metres (2,620 ft) under the surface of the Pacific Ocean.

Remember the "millions of dead fish" last week? Tuesday, March 8, 2011 to be exact? That all happened right there, in Redondo Beach!!!!!!!!

L.A. Times - Millions Of Dead Fish

Obviously, all of these fish died right over the subduction zone. We all know what happened in Japan 3 days later. But now I'm wondering if California is going to be struck next. And if so, how soon???

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join