It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Nuclear Meltdown Confirmed

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I am pasting this information in every thread I feel it is relevant. As I am currently unable to create a thread of my own please excuse the repetition. I feel this information is possibly of great importance and so wish to promulgate it rapidly:

Q. Would ingestion of iodized, common table salt be effective in a nuclear accident if KI pills are not available?

A. The daily dose of potassium iodide (KI) for thyroid blocking is 130 mg per day for up to two weeks. This equates to 96 mg of iodine (I). Iodized salt contains about 0.085 mg of KI per gram of salt (according to the Morton Salt Company). To get the I equivalent of a 130 mg KI pill would require the ingestion of 1,529 grams of salt which would most likely be fatal. According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center,

a person can get a blocking dose of iodine by painting 8 ml of either tincture of iodine or providone iodine (betadine) scrub on the forearm daily

. William Kirk, PhD, CHP Pennsylvania Bureau of Radiation Protection

LINK

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR FRIENDS ON THE WEST COAST AND CONTACTS IN JAPAN

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by FredT

Would be interesting to see the early reports on Chernobyl..
Did they play it down or tell the truth all along ?

I was out in the rain that day when it happened. I can assure you there was no information until much later.
I remember this as it was yesterday

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Current - Japanese Scientist Report

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

reply to post by FredT

I was around and kicking. One different aspect was that was back in the old USSR. They reported nothing until radiation sensors started going nuts in Europe.

Japan is not as controlled as the old USSR was. Also geiger counters are pretty cheap and ill bet most fo those press teams have one. They all want to be the first to report it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Japan is not as controlled as the old USSR was.

Japan is a pretty tight country..
I wouldn't be so sure about that..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Not to sound ignorant, but it's good to see countries putting aside their differences and coming to the aid of Japan to work together to avert a catastrophe.. If they could do this in everyday life we could probably be advanced enough to avert disasters like this by now. I read an article on CNN that said 49 countries (including U.S.) have come to Japans aid.. It's sad to see that it takes an earthquake for our nations to help each other

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

reply to post by FredT

Is that "tongue in cheek", sometimes I miss interpret humor? There were no early reports on Chernobyl other than internal reports to the Kremlin. Not only did they not down play it, they said nothing. It was only days later when a nuclear plant in Western Europe (Sweden or Switzerland I believe) detected elevated levels of ambient radiation that triggered an investigation. They determined the plant was not leaking and that the radiation must be coming from another source and were able to "back track" to Chernobyl as the source.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

reply to post by FredT

THIS!!! Did anyone else see how their highrise buildings withstood these earthquakes? Amazing to say the least.

Oh, and their Nuclear power plants have levels of protection that Chernobyl did not, even if they may be partially compromised by the 100s of earthquakes that have taken place since this has begun.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Sek82 because: hi ;-D

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

reply to post by FredT

I was around and kicking. One different aspect was that was back in the old USSR. They reported nothing until radiation sensors started going nuts in Europe.

Japan is not as controlled as the old USSR was. Also geiger counters are pretty cheap and ill bet most fo those press teams have one. They all want to be the first to report it.

There was a bit of lag time until the Soviets came clean, but Armand Hammer, well into his eighties at the time, and long reputed to be the bag man for oil interests in the Soviet Union for the Rockefeller Family had a 747 packed full of emergency equipment on the tarmac of LAX within hours of the first news report and was cleared by both American and Soviet authorities to fly straight to the disaster area.

A wealthy American Industrialist and Philanthropist with a cozy relation beyond cozy dating from the time of Stalin's early days was up, up and away and Johnny on the Spot in no time hardly at all.

Some circles certainly enjoyed a much more friendly relationship with the Soviets than our government clearly did, and our government clearly never seemed to mind or acted as it did.

The point being when it comes to the Powers that Be's toys, and these are all the Powers that Be's toys, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is nothing you or I is ever going to hear, not from the government, not from the media, and not from the twitterer on the net either.

Oddly enough today the nearest city to Chernobyl long a ghost down since that horrible day, and still to this day, actually is a Russian tourist attraction where although radiation levels are still high enough to make it uninhabitible day long bus tours are considered safe in season.

Moral to the story...they always figure out a way to profit off of these disasters.

Sad but true.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by skindoc
Makes me mad that there is information out there about the melt down not being reported accurately. Why and how in good conscience can our main source of (what should be reliable information for the good of the public) be twisted in such a way to not 'cause panic'? What are we kids??

Panic will surely surface eventually, so why not give us sufficient notice to to prepare. The media outlets are real quick to spread tons of individual agendas, but can't seem to spread informative good will
For our own protection huh? To as to prevent pandemonium .....RIGHT!

Nothing can sway my thoughts about the vile card holders that wish to play a wicked game with our lives.

edit on 12-3-2011 by skindoc because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2011 by skindoc because: (no reason given)

The reason they don't want to cause panic is people will want to shut our reactors down. It's a general consciousness of the public issue. We are already hitting the wall with energy problems so taking away nuclear reactors surely doesn't seem like a good idea. Maybe to some idealistic young man, until his playstation goes off that is.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Oh, and their Nuclear power plants have levels of protection to that Chernobyl did not.

That I agree with..

What bothers me is when officials say there may be a meltdown but we're not sure because we can't see inside..

So what are they doing to stop it?
That I haven't heard for a while..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Oddly enough today the nearest city to Chernobyl long a ghost down since that horrible day, and still to this day, actually is a Russian tourist attraction where although radiation levels are still high enough to make it uninhabitible day long bus tours are considered safe in season.

Moral to the story...they always figure out a way to profit off of these disasters.

Sad but true.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear the tours are operated by Big Pharma..
What a sick way to drum up business...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Wouldn't surprise me to hear the tours are operated by Big Pharma..

The Russians turned out to be quite the capitlists once the collar and leash was taken off of them, they don't miss to many opportunities or angles to make a dollar that's for sure.

Yet at that time, in conspiracy circles, Armand Hammer's role in the disaster was almost proof positive that the same group of oligarchs alledged to control the political process and the infrastructure of the USA also controlled the political process and infrastructure of the Soviet Union.

In other words the Cold War was all an orchestrated farce to justify and enable and keep growing the full time military indsustrial complex into the beastly thing it is today.

In conspiracy circles at that point of time, Hammer's immediate departure and the sensitive equipment he took with him, and the very fact that the Soviets would let him and him alone (as an American from America) into a area of Russia that was normally off limits to civilians, and into a disaster zone that was being used politically by the West to highlight yet another danger in the 'wreckless godless commie soviets' was really a very telling thing of the Russians to allow.

It doesn't have much to do with what happened at Chernobyl or now in Japan other than to simply state, the Powers that Be pretty much do control and own everything including the media outlets and they decide more or less what we are to hear as far as how we are to hear it, to shape our opinions to be what they want them to be.

Because of that it might actually be a while before we really know what's going on over there in Japan with their nuclear reactors.

Politically at the time we wanted to embarass the Soviets and took a far different editorial oped stance to Chernobyl than the media did when it came to Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania a few years before.

They tend to downplay what could be embarassing to us or allies, and play up those things that can be embarassing to our enemies.

We see it play out again and again in double standards the media and the government uses on a whole host of issues.

They of course will be doing that here too.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

reply to post by Sek82

Oh, and their Nuclear power plants have levels of protection to that Chernobyl did not.

That I agree with..

What bothers me is when officials say there may be a meltdown but we're not sure because we can't see inside..
I agree that Japan's reactors should have better protection then Chernobyl.
Japan knew it was building in an earthquake zone, the whole country is subject to earthquakes as far as I can tell.

The containment vessel may be doing its job, containing the meltdown.

When the accident occurred at three-mile island, nobody really knew the extent of the accident at the time, within the containment vessel. Of course exterior radiation levels were monitored, but I think it was something like a decade later that the first remote cameras were lowered inside the heart of the reactor to see how far the meltdown had progressed, and it had progressed much further than anyone had thought...and the low radiation levels released were a tribute to the fact that the containment vessel did its job. I found this article asking if the Japanese meltdown could be similar to three mile island:

A Japanese Three Mile Island?

Media coverage of Japan's current nuclear emergency has focused on the danger of a meltdown at the damaged Fukushima Daiichi plant 160 miles northeast of Tokyo. But, largely lost in the early coverage, is the fact that a meltdown does not necessarily equate to a massive radioactive release to the environment unless the containment structure surrounding the core also fails. The big unanswered questions in the Japanese emergency are the degree to which the hazardous nuclear materials remain safely contained within the plant and the control the operators have over the process.

In the case of the Three Mile Island accident, a severe partial meltdown in the plant's unit 2 reactor core, after a loss of coolant, was largely contained within the American nuclear plant near Middletown, Pennsylvania. Only very small off-site releases of radioactivity occurred during the accident, which resulted from mechanical malfunctions and human error. Extensive studies later concluded that the radioactive levels involved were not considered to be of concern to public health or the environment.

However, as is now the case in Japan, the unfolding drama at Three Mile Island over a five-day period more than three decades ago was accompanied by tremendous uncertainty, confusion, and contradictory information about what was actually happening and what might happen. Poor coordination and communication by government and company officials at Three Mile Island turned out to be a case study in how not to handle a nuclear emergency. And the media coverage, and public understanding of the accident, suffered greatly as a result.
I'd have to agree this event in Japan does have some similarities to three mile island, except the latter didn't have an earthquake as the cause, but the effects might be similar: bad stuff going on in the containment vessel, but the containment vessel might still be intact, mitigating the external effects. It may take a while to sort out all the facts.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82

reply to post by FredT

THIS!!! Did anyone else see how their highrise buildings withstood these earthquakes? Amazing to say the least.

Oh, and their Nuclear power plants have levels of protection that Chernobyl did not, even if they may be partially compromised by the 100s of earthquakes that have taken place since this has begun.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Sek82 because: hi ;-D

Japan has the best of the best of the best in Earthquake Building tech.........I live in a house on the San Jacinto Fault line in So. Cal. It was built in 1989 its wall studs are every 4 ft. no corner ties....I built houses in Oregon wall studs every 16 inches, the four corners of the home bolted to the floor with complex hardware.....who is in earthquake country me or them.....If So. Cal. had an 8.9 the homes would be leveled for sure, I cant vouch for Commercial Hi Rise.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Breaking news

Japan asked Russia for aid.

As Russia has a lot of experience from Chernobyl, situation seems - from my point of view - critical.

Japan would never ask for aid if it would not be necessary.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sechmet
Breaking news
As Russia has a lot of experience from Chernobyl, situation seems - from my point of view - critical.

Do you have a link?
Why would they ask Russia ?
Russia doesn't exactly have a great record on nuclear incidents..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sechmet
Breaking news

Do you have a link?
Why would they ask Russia ?
Russia doesn't exactly have a great record on nuclear incidents..

no and yes, but they are, nuclear experts....

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter.be

no and yes, but they are, nuclear experts....

Russia would just move 100000 people and concrete the site..
Then sell tours to the nearby areas..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
They have an experience with Chernobyl disaster.

It was close to the Chinese Syndrome there, but they stopped it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join