Japan Nuclear Meltdown Confirmed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by artistpoet

It has the potential to be 1000 greater than the Chernbyl disaster.

I posted this in the other thread. Potential is the word. But comparing to Chernobyl there are some key differences

The Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant has a capacity of 4,696 MW
The Chernobyl Plant had Installed capacity 4,000 MW

Its not that much bigger. Also the Chernobyl plant was a RBMK-1000 Graphite Moderated Core. Graphite burns.It also lacked a containmment dome as featured in all western plants.

The Fukushima is a boiling water reactor which as we can tell above there is residual heat produced even after its SCRAMED. but has a containment dome.

Given the fact that they have introduced seawater and boric acid (to absorb neutrons) to at least one of the reactors and the the resulting explosion which was caused by hydrogen buildup indicates that a partial meltdown has occured. If the containment dome survived the earthquake AND the subequent expolsion, the excaping radiation will be a fraction of that that occured in Chernobyl. If the containment dome has failed then ALL bets are off.

You mean that dome that is now in outer space thanks to that huge explosion? It would have not exploded the whole building if the containment dome held the pressure.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
You can only order Potassium Iodide online . . . There are no retail outlets that carry it.

A simple Google search will show you where you can order. Other than specialty stores (nukepills.com), CVS is the only major retailer that I know that sells it online . . .

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
i know i can google it but thought id as here while im on here. any clue on how much it costs hope not too much cuse jobless at this sec.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
reply to post by crazydaisy

Ch-ch-check it

The government insisted radiation levels were low following Saturday's explosion, saying the blast had not affected the reactor core container, and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said it had been told by Japan that levels "have been observed to lessen in recent hours".

It seems that the reactor core is cooling down, releasing less radioactive material. Woo!

Ok then what caused the building to blow into a million microns of dust? The only thing that can do that kind of explosion is the REACTOR from to much pressure.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Adults and kids over 60 pounds should take one packet (14 pills - one pill a day) and that is good for a months protection. Iosat tabs run approx. $10 per pack of 14, If you don't get the Iosat, pay close attention to the mgs of the pill . . . most other manufacturers put out 30-75mg pills as opposed to the 135mg pills in the Iosat packs, so you would need to double or triple the dose.

A cursory look on google and amazon shows most suppliers currently sold out . . . I just bought 4 more packs on CVS's site and paid $20 for "express" shipping (1-2 bus days).

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
k thanks for the info going to see what i can do about geting some of those myself

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher

You mean that dome that is now in outer space thanks to that huge explosion? It would have not exploded the whole building if the containment dome held the pressure.

No, they vented the containment dome into the building that surrounded it

The ultimate safety system inside and outside of every BWR are the numerous levels of physical shielding that both protect the reactor from the outside world and protect the outside world from the reactor.

There are five levels of shielding:

1. The fuel rods inside the reactor pressure vessel are coated in thick Zircalloy shielding;
2. The reactor pressure vessel itself is manufactured out of 6-inch-thick (150 mm) steel, with extremely high temperature, vibration, and corrosion resistant surgical stainless steel grade grade 316L plate on both the inside and outside;
3. The primary containment structure is made of steel 1 inch thick;
4. The secondary containment structure is made of steel-reinforced, pre-stressed concrete 1.2–2.4 meters (4–8 ft) thick.
5. The reactor building (the shield wall/missile shield) is also made of steel-reinforced, pre-stressed concrete 0.3 m to 1 m (1–3 feet) thick.en.wikipedia.org...

It is the #5 reactor building that exploded due to hydrogen buildup secondary to flooding the core with water to prevent the fuel from being uncovered.

# Depressurization systems: These systems are designed to maintain reactor pressure within safety limits. Additionally, if reactor water level cannot be maintained with high-pressure coolant systems alone, the depressurization system can reduce reactor pressure to a level at which the low-pressure coolant systems can function.
# Low pressure systems: These systems are designed to function after the depressurization systems function. They have extremely large capacities compared to the high pressure systems and are supplied by multiple, redundant power sources. They will maintain any maintainable water level, and, in the event of a large pipe break of the worst type below the core that leads to temporary fuel rod "uncovery", to rapidly mitigate that state prior to the fuel heating to the point where core damage could occur.en.wikipedia.org...

The containment dome not to be confused with the reactor building, is made up of 4-8 feet of pre-stressed concrete with steel reinforcement that is pretty robust. Remember at Chernobyl did not have this second layer around its core.

here is a series of GE animated vids that show safety features. (No I do not work for GE)

There was serious issues at this plant and Im betting that the designers did not anticipate a 8.9 quake nor a massive tsunami killing off the backup generators. According to wiki the plant was designed around the 1952 Kern County earthquake a Richter 7.3 so this was way above and beyond its design capacity.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
thing that can do that kind of explosion is the REACTOR from to much pressure.

The reactor controll rods are surrounded with zirconium. If exposed and subject to steam and high heat hydrogen is produced. This hydrogen was vented into the secondary building to controll the pressure within the dome and the combination of the hydrogen with atmospheric oxygen and some sort of ignitor caused the explosion that destroyed the secondary building.

When pressure rose in the reactor vessel, it vented the gas into the containment building that surrounds it for just such an emergency. But experts believe that devices designed to ignite the hydrogen before it reached dangerous levels were not working because of power failures. www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
A professor on CNN just said you will get more radiation from
having your foot ex rayed then what is emitting from the area now.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Pretty complete series of whats happened blow by blow at the reactor

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
You can buy Potassium Iodine/Iodide on Ebay, just looked on Ebay (us).
Best be quick, seen on twitter that places are running out fast. Please be careful what you buy though, cos i don't know what quantity you may need or what the dosage should be.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I am sure many of you just watched the CNN expert say that everything is okay.........The 40 year old plant engineering structure is doing what it was designed to do...............

hhhhhmmmmm

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Nuclear Fallout Map

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Throwing this out. Does ANYbody here know someone in the US military based in Japan? The reason I ask is that if there has been radiation, it stands to reason that the military would be able to detect a serious radiation release and raise the MOPP level to IV and issue the NBC gear to the troops. There are pictures of US choppers flying around in the disater zone doing SAR and relief drops and thats near the reactor in question and they are NOT in the MOPP gear.

If the MOPP gear has been broken out that may be a sign.
edit on 3/12/11 by FredT because: (no reason given)

Ok, no reports yet that the 3 Air Force bases are in MOP gear or Rad gear.
MOP is more for Bio threat, not radiation.
Looks like personnel at Misawa Air Base are on alert, not evacuating and but running aid to locals.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Abductee001
Nuclear Fallout Map

Reported a Hoax a while back.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Would be interesting to see the early reports on Chernobyl..
Did they play it down or tell the truth all along ?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Sorry, not seen this pic before! Thought it was just a prediction picture of the way radiation may travel on the jetstream towards the US. We're told they have things under control, but if it where to happen.....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Abductee001
reply to post by macman

Sorry, not seen this pic before! Thought it was just a prediction picture of the way radiation may travel on the jetstream towards the US. We're told they have things under control, but if it where to happen.....

Yeah.
There is another post on this where they have an animation showing the progression of radiation and the gulf stream.
Here you go www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-3-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Makes me mad that there is information out there about the melt down not being reported accurately. Why and how in good conscience can our main source of (what should be reliable information for the good of the public) be twisted in such a way to not 'cause panic'? What are we kids??

Panic will surely surface eventually, so why not give us sufficient notice to to prepare. The media outlets are real quick to spread tons of individual agendas, but can't seem to spread informative good will
For our own protection huh? To as to prevent pandemonium .....RIGHT!

Nothing can sway my thoughts about the vile card holders that wish to play a wicked game with our lives.
edit on 12-3-2011 by skindoc because: (no reason given)
edit on 12-3-2011 by skindoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I have not seen any mention of the "ring cloud" that was above the explosion. It looked similar to the super sonic ring a jet makes. Has anyone else noticed this and does this not confirm a major explosion??

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join