It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking news - Massive Meteor in Manitoba, Canada - Air Raid Sirens Triggered (yet unconfirmed)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Brandon, Manitoba Canada huge meteor seen last night 3:30 am 8MAR2011
Mar 9 2011, 9:09 AM Tokyo Timestamp
Guest697 (guest) wrote:
Huge, huge meteor seen last night at around 3:30 central time. Over Brandon,
Manitoba Canada. Air Raid sirens were briefly heard right after impact. And
many police roaming through the streets. Enormous meteor,flash of light upon
impact in the form of a ring of light.

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...\
-canada.html

Important! Anyone with more information, photos or video about this event please
email me at [email protected]

Source: METEOROBS/lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com

Before anyone panics, this event is still unconfirmed, and from past experience, reports of impacts have always turned out to be negative. It's certainly possible that a large meteoroid/small asteroid exploded high in the atmosphere, dropping fragments in the process, but rocks big enough to make it down to the ground more or less intact, and still having a significant portion of their cosmic velosity intact are very rare impactors here on Earth:

Meteorite finds range in size from particles weighing only a few grams, up to the largest known specimen: the Hoba meteorite, found in South Africa in 1920, and weighing about 60 tons (54,000 kg). As with the magnitude distribution of meteors, the number of meteorites decreases exponentially with increasing size. Thus, the majority of falls will produce only a few scattered kilograms of material, with large meteorites being quite rare.

Meteorites are known to fall as single, discreet objects; as showers of fragments from a meteor which breaks up during the atmospheric portion of its flight; and (rarely) as multiple individual falls. The initial mass and composition of the meteoroid primarily determine its eventual fate, along with its speed and angle of entry into the atmosphere.

Source: The American Meteor Society Fireball FAQ

Meteoroids of more than about 10 tons (9,000 kg) will retain a portion of their original speed, or cosmic velocity, all the way to the surface. A 10-ton meteroid entering the Earth’s atmosphere perpendicular to the surface will retain about 6% of its cosmic velocity on arrival at the surface. For example, if the meteoroid started at 25 miles per second (40 km/s) it would (if it survived its atmospheric passage intact) arrive at the surface still moving at 1.5 miles per second (2.4 km/s), packing (after considerable mass loss due to ablation) some 13 gigajoules of kinetic energy.

On the very large end of the scale, a meteoroid of 1000 tons (9 x 10^5 kg) would retain about 70% of its cosmic velocity, and bodies of over 100,000 tons or so will cut through the atmosphere as if it were not even there. Luckily, such events are extraordinarily rare.

Source: The American Meteor Society Fireball FAQ

Is this one of those rare events? I don't think it is, although it is possible. There have been other claims of late that meteors have struck the ground, but this is normal with bright meteors from past experience (over 10 years studying the subject and looking for anything meteor related on the internet), but so far no real proof that anything impacted..

In the mean time, we will just have to wait and see what else turns up.

Related links:
DID I ACTUALLY SEE A FIREBALL LAND NEAR ME?
Meteors Smash Into Siberia And The Phillipines
Anybody near Rudyard Lake, Staffordshire, England last night (Possible UFO)?
Green Fireballs Coming! 3/6 - 3/9!
What's Hitting Earth?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Wow, I hope everyone is ok over there. Odd enough, the first two links you posted do not work as they say they are not found. Something fishy might be going on
?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
but right now it''s only midnight central time...???? so 3:30 ????

edit on 9-3-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
but right now it''s only midnight central time...???? so 3:30 ????

It opened a wormhole.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Reports Of Meteor Streaking Across Prairies
Last Updated: Thursday, November 20, 2008 | 11:14 PM CT CBC News
www.cbc.ca...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ac10a89e877.jpg[/atsimg]
Andy Bartlett recorded this footage from a 10th-floor apartment in Edmonton on his digital camera. (Submitted by Andy Bartlett)

Like I said somewhere in a thread not too long ago, we'll be seeing more of this incoming debris as things ramp up towards December 21st 2012. Something big is dragging all this stuff in with it.
edit on 3/9/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: photo

edit on 3/9/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: external quote bb code

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
must be a wormhole....or some body can't read.... cos my monitor has this on it...

Brandon, Manitoba Canada huge meteor seen last night 3:30 am 8MAR2011

that's from the OP it happened on the 8th... its now the 9th... it happened yesterday... not "tonight"

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Saw it, have been monitoring ATS to see if anything came of it. Sitting on the back of my boat in RIchardson Bay just north of the golden gate bridge

- facing north it was clearly a meteor, orange, fast curving, and under the cloud/fog line tonight which is pretty low. I have been monitoring ATS to see if anything has come of it, it was so low and under the cloud line I thought to myself that may have a chance striking ground. Of course I was thinking something more local and not Canada but I definitely saw this, about 2 hours ago.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by KeepUptheMATRIXing

ok I might have just saw something different - what I just described I saw tonight, a little over 2 hours ago now. It's 10:25pm PST.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Interesting indeed. It will be nice to get more information/confirmation from this story. Photos would be awesome!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

my bad...i saw "breaking" then march 9 tokyo....that's what i get for skimming!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by KeepUptheMATRIXing

we'll all be right over to discuss over cocktails.....where was that boat docked again??

[mumbles to self]

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

haha... i know what you mean... I skim too... I try not to... but it happens...

oh btw... what was it you said.... U Fail.... sorry had too

haha.... its all cool

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
for you that need to see the op's link to this here it is lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com... by the blogs blogger

Jesse wrote more in email:

.... "Just to clarify, there was no meteor impact that occured directly in Brandon but surely at a distance. That was just where I was at the time, it seemed as though the meteor was really close due to the apparent visual size of the object. It was massive. Its movement in terms of velocity was certainly peculiar (slow to fall) -whereas a regular shooting star would fly across the sky in perhaps 1 sec, this object took at least 3-4 seconds from the time i spotted it in the sky until impact. My body was facing north, the meteor came in from right (and judging from the peculiar velocity, moving away or towards myself) and then impacted on the left. (Right being east, left being west.
i hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/173f5b55ac54.gif[/atsimg]

Why does Canada get all the good meteorites? There is a conspiracy going on there. How come there are no news videos of legions of metal detector owners out there combing the countryside for their treasure from heaven? Don't those people know that meteors are valuable?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

OMG that was BRILLANT!

Okay seriously, anyone know anything else about this? Very weird and scary that the alarm sirens were blaring!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I WABT MY METEORITE ~~~~~!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
WOW!

thats just wild, (whoever got that pic) you lucky bastard!!

edit on 9-3-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Very suspicious, timeline problems, meteor was seen from the bay area (Home of starfleet), Canada was struck by a meteor (birthplace of William Shatner), i see something forming.
They are trying to use a timeline attack on us!!!

Long live Starfleet!!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I'm not really sure how I feel of all this upcoming pole shift yet, but aren't we 'supposed' to be witnessing some shift on the 15th? Could these have anything to do with that? Connected?

Great thread op, thanks!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I can't remember the last time there was a functional air raid siren system in Canada. Maybe in the late 70's or early 80's. That makes this sound flaky to me. Isn't the above image from the 2008 meteorite?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join