It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason why you're not taken seriously

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I mostly just skim through ATS looking for interesting topics, and I always see alot of people in Aliens and UFO's complaining that more people need to open their eyes etc etc.

Ever wondered why alot of people simply don't want to be open to the concept of things such as abductions, or ET's already visiting Earth? Look at the way so many people act on the forum.

1. Constant stream of ridiculous videos. e.g Kid Catches Alien on Film. SIX pages of replies about a blurry youtube video of an alien supposedly running around some kids house, doing squats in the bushes - posted by someone who has a number of other ridiculous Alien related videos also. SIX pages, thats not even the worst part, the majority of the replies are actually more towards the "Hmm.. Interesting" spectrum of criticism. Are you kidding me, thats all I can say.

2. Alot of people seem to be of the view that, if you don't believe that ET's are already in contact with Earth, or that there isn't a massive government coverup going on, then YOU MUST BE A NARROWMINDED SHEEP. Personally, I think alot goes on that the public doesn't know about, I really have no idea of what might be going on, and other than the usual Dulce-Super-Secret-Alien-Base, supposed "MJ-12" documents and stream of hoaxers claiming to have been employed by secret Government projects then holding out their hand for your money, there really is nothing to go on. The majority of people believe all of this to some extent, but that same majority seem to find it impossible to be openminded to think, maybe thats not true, maybe we aren't being visited at all, and so on. You can't convince people to open their minds to pretty unfounded theories, when you cant even open yourself up to the prospect that it might be wrong.

3. "Nibiru" - Wow, personally I don't buy into the 2012 theory but who knows. Though seriously, do we need all these "NIBIRU IS COMING" "THE 12TH PLANET" threads constantly. Just look now on the forum, the "NIBIRU, 4th march has arrived!" thread. Full of posts such as "there is definately something up and everyone can feel something - gut feelings." or people claiming to of caught pictures of said planet next to the Sun, waving blurry photographs around and claiming thousands of people worldwide have seen it too so how can people question their honesty... Yet, not one person thought to whip out a telescope or get a decent picture. O.K.

4. "Debunkers" - I really dislike this term, especially as everytime I see the word used, it's used in a pretty patronising way. When most people see or hear that word, they probably think of trolls. Yet every time a ridiculous picture of some teenager taking a picture of themselves in the mirror and thinking they can see an alien in the corner of the picture, I'm ashamed of humanity to see that alot of people jump on it. Or when someone takes a dodgy picture out of their window and claim to see a light in the sky, even though it looks fairly obvious to be a smudge/reflection on the window, there'll be countless replies against "debunkers" along the lines of, you're a government misinformationist, or why would he lie or open your eyes they're here.

This thread may've turned into a bit of a rant, whoops. The thing is, I'm openminded to the possibility of ET's, whether they're years away, or whether they've been here for hundreds of years, or that we havent encountered them at all. My point is, the attitude the majority of this forum has really doesn't do ANY favours whatsoever for this "community" or for the general ideology behind ET's and such.

Rant over.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Good points. This forum needs a serious "wake up call" in terms of the people who believe the most ridiculous hoaxes and other junk. The posting of obviously fake videos is doing a major disservice to the people on this forum who are truly interested in this subject.

The whole "DISCLOSURE IS COMING SOON!!!1" nonsense also doesn't any credibility to this subject.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turiddu
Good points. This forum needs a serious "wake up call" in terms of the people who believe the most ridiculous hoaxes and other junk. The posting of obviously fake videos is doing a major disservice to the people on this forum who are truly interested in this subject.

The whole "DISCLOSURE IS COMING SOON!!!1" nonsense also doesn't add any credibility to this subject.

That too. Usually it's concerning a hoaxer giving a speech (at $50 a seat), claiming they have information that will undoubtedly prove Alien life. Then it comes to nothing or the whole speech is filled with "I believe" "In my opinion".

A world leader is pretty much the only one that can begin any kind of disclosure. I've read alot of good posts and threads on this forum, and I keep coming back because of those, but the amount of nonsense I need to sift through is mindnumbing, I'm sure this forum would have alot more contributing members, but no doubt alot of people don't really want to be thrown into the same crowd as people who believe blurry videos of someone popping their head above bushes at night are aliens.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You should add a #5, a complete refusal to acknowledge when a case has been explained, in particular when it comes to hoaxes. Such as the Dome of the Rock video, such as the recent Mexican UFO video.
edit on 5-3-2011 by WingedBull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
S&F

I am going to do a study on my own hoax and post it. I will state that it is my UFO though and go through the process of how I did it. I know that it has been done a million times but I just want to prove to myself that I can do it for cheap and make it look good. I repeat, I will state that it is a study for the "easily convinced". This is the first time I have spoken of my plans. I am curious as to what it looks like.

I know that I will take some flack from the hardcore believers, but most of these videos are like you say(crap).

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
we "BELIEVERS" know teh truth and will not toleraet the lies of your ilk anymore

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Motive
Ever wondered why alot of people simply don't want to be open to the concept of things such as abductions, or ET's already visiting Earth?

No.

It's obvious: fear of the unknown, a natural human trait (and probable survival mechanism).

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I completely agree, I might find something to be interesting enough to watch but I usually find myself agreeing with the logical "debunkers" (I also dislike the term) on many cases. What doesn't make any sense to me is, WHY create all these hoax videos? I guess I just am too busy living my life to waste all this energy just so I can get views/friends on the internet... I am all for CGI and ET/UFO art video creations, but when people try to pass it off as real... *lol* Its pathetic.

It really does reduce the credibility of this Forum. What I also find reduces the credibility is when people, without basis, will knock down a credible witness or testimony just because they don't necessarily agree. Case in point, I get sick of the Paul Hellyer bashing I see, their is nothing wrong with the man and he isn't jumping on the UFO bandwagon for money or publicity...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Motive

Nothing you mentioned is why the subject isn't taken seriously. For decades credible people have spoken up using their own names on this subject and it hasn't been cracked. Its not as if anonymous posters on a message board are going to be taken any more seriously either.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
reply to post by Motive

Nothing you mentioned is why the subject isn't taken seriously. For decades credible people have spoken up using their own names on this subject and it hasn't been cracked. Its not as if anonymous posters on a message board are going to be taken any more seriously either.

They're all reasons why the subject isn't taken seriously.

When I see the majority of a community jumping on ridiculous youtube videos of aliens and proclaiming that it's truth, then it's much harder for me to be open to opinions from that same community about other ideas or theories.

Not to mention that ALOT of credible theories, such as the ancient alien one, isn't talked about much in the mainstream, or brought up in any kind of educational manner, why? Because who wants to be associated with such a gullible, self-convincing, delusional mass of people that believe something to be true only because they WANT it to be true.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
It's obvious: fear of the unknown, a natural human trait (and probable survival mechanism).

This is part of #2, the arrogance of believers.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WingedBull

I don't really think its a fear of the unknown at all. I think there's a high probability that we're not alone, but it doesn't affect my everyday life. I still go to work, I still shop, spend time with family. So if any alien theories are true, then it's distant from 99.999% of peoples lives anyway. Just like the war in Afghanistan for instance, I know it's going on (not to say I KNOW that alien related things are happening), but it's miles away from me in my comfy home in England, and even though I know theres a possibility it could have a knock on or end up in my own country one day, it doesn't mean I think about it let it affect me, nor does it mean I'm scared of it.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishspeaker
we "BELIEVERS" know teh truth and will not toleraet the lies of your ilk anymore

BELIEF and TRUTH are to different things he who speaks for fish
Once TRUTH is revealed, the BELIEF vanishes

Think about it

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Motive, I don't know if you covered this already but what about people who make threads title "Nazi UFO landing" Undeniable Nazi Agenda" etc etc.... I see this all the time on ATS and the more i come across these types of post the more it deters me away from this whole subject altogether. Is it so hard for people to look at something critically and if they find it a bit odd just dismiss for the next schmo?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BullDogGrowler82
Motive, I don't know if you covered this already but what about people who make threads title "Nazi UFO landing" Undeniable Nazi Agenda" etc etc.... I see this all the time on ATS and the more i come across these types of post the more it deters me away from this whole subject altogether. Is it so hard for people to look at something critically and if they find it a bit odd just dismiss for the next schmo?

Your post is a perfect example of why the threads your talking about don't do anyone any favours.

I'm the same, seeing all the utter drivel which people call threads on this forum, even if there may be some substance to the theory that they're proposing, the attitude and way in which they try to tell people about it makes me want to steer clear.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Motive
Your post is a perfect example of why the threads your talking about don't do anyone any favours.

So then...

explain to me WHY you are not taking part in the latest NASA discovers LIFE threads?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Motive

Motive, I think another reason society as a whole look at conspiracy "theorists" as insane people is because their is no common ground of belief. Every person come's to their own conclusion about EVERYTHING, I still have yet to see a common basis of agreement except things like the NWO, Elites, Aliens exist out there etc... There is no agreement within this community only strife and jumbled opinions about everything.
edit on 5-3-2011 by BullDogGrowler82 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2011 by BullDogGrowler82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WingedBull

"Believer" and "Sceptic" are such arbitary and empty terms when used in a condescending way, and anyone who does should have their opinions heard last, IMO.

For the record, I don't think it's about belief. We don't want another religion on our hands.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Let me get this straight. Now it´s "our" fault that nobody believes us when we present a proof for UFOs or alien lifeforms? You got to be [snip] kidding me. This is ridicilous. But of course the sky is blue and we all live in happy hippo wonderland and nothing is wrong with our society. Mähhhhhhhh. But who [snip] cares just blame us for everything. And now you wonder why i hate the sceptics....

Ps: Not every YT video of UFOs is a hoax,fake or whatever. Some things can´t be explained and that´s a freaking fact. The existence of UFOs and alien life is a proven fact. Just deal with it already.
edit on 5-3-2011 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 6/3/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perfectenemy
Let me get this straight. Now it´s "our" fault that nobody believes us when we present a proof for UFOs or alien lifeforms? You got to be [snip] kidding me. This is ridicilous. But of course the sky is blue and we all live in happy hippo wonderland and nothing is wrong with our society. Mähhhhhhhh. But who [snip] cares just blame us for everything. And now you wonder why i hate the sceptics....

Ps: Not every YT video of UFOs is a hoax,fake or whatever. Some things can´t be explained and that´s a freaking fact. The existence of UFOs and alien life is a proven fact. Just deal with it already.
edit on 5-3-2011 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

"I hate the skeptics" - So you're basically saying, you hate people who disagree with you.
"The existence of UFOs and alien life is a proven fact. Just deal with it already." - You do realise that you just proved all the points I made in my thread correct.

Not really much point replying to the rest, you just made it clear that getting into any debate with you is pointless. Yes, this entire thread is aimed at people like you.

P.S. There's no undeniable proof of alien lifeforms. If there were then this website wouldn't have to be called AboveTopSecret.
edit on 5-3-2011 by Motive because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2011 by Motive because: (no reason given)

Mod note: circumvention of the automatic censor on the quoted post removed.
edit on 6/3/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join