It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy bloggers not 'friending' U.S. targets, Centcom says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Spy bloggers not 'friending' U.S. targets, Centcom says

voices.washingtonpost.com

The U.S. Central Command says its new “Persona” social media "infiltration" software is designed to cozy up to extremist bloggers overseas, not law-abiding Americans chatting on Facebook or similar sites.

Earlier this month, the Web buzzed with a report that the software was designed to “manage ‘fake people’ on social media sites and create the illusion of consensus on controversial issues,” implying that the Defense Department was targeting critics of the war in Afghanistan and other conflicts.

Further compounding a sinister view of the software was the discovery of e-mai
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
LOL!

Here comes the predictable SPIN and DAMAGE CONTROL, to convince us all that these "proxy personna" programs are to "keep us safe", and not actually being used AGAINST us.

Anybody actually BUYING that?

My guess is that these types of programs are RIFE, and not solely relegated to military application, but a WHOLE HOST of varying "vested interests". And in no way do I think they merely are infiltrating "networking" sites...

Here, lately, right on this very site, I have seen folks DEFENDING unbelievable things, such as corporate and bankster interests, DHS and TSA nonsense, the war industry and imperialistic grotesqueries, etc., etc....

But I'm sure those are all just innocent coincidences, eh? These are all just regular folks who think all of these things are awesome?

voices.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-3-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Why of course they aren't!

I would have never expected them to say that.

"keep us safe", and not actually being used AGAINST us.

Just like the Patriot Act was to be used against terrorists, not us!

edit on 3-3-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

At least this administration has a good sense of humor.

Not.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Of course theyre going to "friend" citizens.. C(aught) I(n the) A(ct) is already "friending" everyone abroad...
edit on 3-3-2011 by Expat888 because: Gremlins...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Sometimes I can’t help but to feel like the only reason I'm on ATS is to S&F all your threads DD...

I agree 100%! Keep it up!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

WOW

What a relief, I was worried that they might be spying on us......but I know now they will never abuse the power

After all we have NEVER had a single case of the government overstepping its limits in the history of our country.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

LOL!

Here comes the predictable SPIN and DAMAGE CONTROL, to convince us all that these "proxy personna" programs are to "keep us safe", and not actually being used AGAINST us.

Anybody actually BUYING that?

Yes, having worked in Pysops before, I do.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
And they continue to think we are THAT stupid.....

Actually, it's probably more likely that they actually believe they are THAT clever; which makes more sense since they have all their press and MSM talking heads working hard to convince us that they are... they believe their own marketing.....

Pathetic. Truly.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I find little comfort in the claim that while my government may be undermining democracy by creating the illusion of consensus overseas, that they will not use this here, against us.

What you allow to happen to others is likely to end up coming home to roost.

I have seen too much of what I personally consider evidence of manufactured "people" used on comment sections and boards to believe for one moment they will not use that technology against us.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This is pretty interesting since Central Command is pretty much now admitting to what I theorized they were this HB Gary Software for when I published this thread Is the Internet Being Used (right now) to Start World War III?, this past weekend, wondering if it was being used to stir up the protests in the Middle East.

The scary thing is, that this admission is the least damaging one that they could think of, in comparrison to all the other ways this softwar can be used.

It's like our government is full of 8 year old Nazis where they are always how they sell this crap doesn't make them sound like the grown up Nazis they are.

We really need to get control over our runaway government and soon!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Funny how this software shares the abilities with ddos attacks. The use of one ip to open several tcp connections with fake ips for each tcp connection. On ddos attacks its then used to overrun the victim computer with request. On person its used to over run a thread with crazy rants plus they take the time to star each other for such good work.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I'm still waiting to see some smart Facebooking fella run into some of these personas created by this software.

It's not that I don't believe it, it's that with our entire country on Facebook, someone has to have spotted these internet armies in action.

Nice post as usual DimensionalDetective.

top topics

join