It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs temporary extension of Patriot Act

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CapnCaveman
Hmmm, my memory might not be the best, but didn't we elect Obama for president (besides for "change") because he promised to end the Patriot Act?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong.

Obama never promised to end the patriot act.

Did you people actually PAY ATTENTION during the elections???? IF you voted for him based on these wildly inaccurate assumptions, you have no one but yourself to blame.
edit on 26-2-2011 by inkyminds because: spelling

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by inkyminds

again you can do a search for this that the Patriot Act used in drug cases.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher

again you can do a search for this that the Patriot Act used in drug cases.

You may need to review how the 'burden of proof' works.

The person MAKING the claim provides the evidence, not the person politely asking for the evidence.

if it's such an easy thing to discover, then I would thin you could take the time to provide said evidence
edit on 26-2-2011 by inkyminds because: last line

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to inkyminds

r u serious?
your gov't is the reason why we're in this mess
they don't use these things to protect us but just a facade to take your freedom's and right's away a little at a time
PROBLEM-REACTION-SOLUTION
been used since the beginning of time
if the gov't is so trustworthy why do they allow the CIA to run drugs and guns and THIS IS A FACT!
They use these excuses to take more control
There is no ALQUEDA or however you spell it
THE TERRORISTS ARE RUN BY THE CIA AND THE VERY GOV'T THAT TAKES YOUR MONEY TO AND TELLS YOU IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD.
KIND OF FUNNY HOW TERRORISM HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE THE BEGINNING OF MAN BUT WAITED TIL NOW TO DO SOMETHING.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Links detailing various abuses of the Patriot Act.

www.aclu.org...

cyber.law.harvard.edu...

Two to start...more links in a bit. Then again I have seen how people like inkyminds "debate." Anything that will challenge your worldview you will dismiss as inaccurate and biased information.

It is called a confirmation bias, and much more applicable here than Godwin's law.
Also, stop posting so many times for each individual reply, try grouping your replies in the same post - makes your Persona Management Software less obvious. -> www.rawstory.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

Originally posted by American-philosopher
Can anyone question this guy Obama? They question bush didn;t they?? maybe my memeory is off. But can someone just question him and ask hey can you tell us why you think the Patriot Act is so good??

Obama doesn't take questions from smart people, especially on camera or in front of an audience. I would, LOVE for him to debate someone like Michael Badnarik on a live broadcast concerning issues like the Fed, Patriot Act. the drug war e.c.t

Yeah, we need a real man back in the white house. Bush was willing to go toe to toe with the likes of a male prostitute, Helen Thomas, and Dr. Phil. Where did that kind of exceptionalism go?
edit on 26-2-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

Ewwwww, did you read my post and concerns correctly? Bush was no "real man" just another one of "them".

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

If the sock puppet thing is as obvious to you as it is to me then you will see through it like most people here will. As I said before the ignoring the ignorance continues while we have a much more productive discussion.Honestly if anyone wants to believe what he is spouting let them it doesn't bother me it will just be a much more noticeable group of people I will be ignoring. I value facts and when someone shows they don't then the arguments they present become null and void in my opinion.

Either way I would bet something is gonna be going down soon and that's why they only wanted a 3 month extension or maybe it won't matter by then cause in recent news we are under a "state of national emergency" over libiya and as history has shown the easiest way to consolidate power is to use the "we need to do it for your own good" approach. The US will be another in a long list of countries that have fallen to the same tricks...just sayin don't be suprised if that's what your grand kids end up learning that in their history class.
edit on 26-2-2011 by RickyD because: typo

edit on 26-2-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
I just wanna say after reading this entire thread that it's pretty obvious inkyminds has no intention of accepting any evidence or argument other than his own...more than likely he will say this is untrue and that no one has produced any evidence to back up their claims. This is a pointless battle more so even a tactic in which to steer the thread into a pointless debate about things that the majority of us accept as true. Why not just continue on and ignore ignorance? just my take on it.

No one HAS provided any evidence Just calling me a nazi and a governemnt agent.

I've asked for insightful evidence several times.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadMagician

Links detailing various abuses of the Patriot Act.

www.aclu.org...

cyber.law.harvard.edu...

You DO knw that neither of those relate to this specific aspect of the Patriot Act that this thread is about, right?

Two to start...more links in a bit. Then again I have seen how people like inkyminds "debate." Anything that will challenge your worldview you will dismiss as inaccurate and biased information.

It is called a confirmation bias, and much more applicable here than Godwin's law.
Also, stop posting so many times for each individual reply, try grouping your replies in the same post - makes your Persona Management Software less obvious. -> www.rawstory.com...

Sigh, just more personal attacks.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The off topic remarks and uncivil insinuations stop here.

Address the topic in a civil manner or don't post. Post bans for repeated offenses otherwise.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Seeing as I am not a legal scholar, I was wondering if someone could explain to me exactly HOW these specific aspects of the Patriot Act are 'unconstitutional'? It would appear to me that these are necessary tools for dealing with very real threats.

Can anyone explain to shilly ol me why I am wrong, in a helpful, constructive fashion?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
Conversely, since this is a 'conspiracy' site, wouldn't it stand to reason that it's the 'Terrorists" who want us to believe that this is unconstitutional, since it will serve their means?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Obama vowed to revise the Patriot act, and specifically stated the three expiring provisions which he has now extended for three months.
Keep in mind, that Obama wanted these three provisions extended until 2013.

Revise the PATRIOT Act.

Barack Obama believes that we must provide law enforcement the tools it needs to investigate, disrupt, and capture terrorists, but he also believes we need real oversight to avoid jeopardizing the rights and ideals of all Americans.
There is no reason we cannot fight terrorism while maintaining our civil liberties. Unfortunately, the current administration has abused the powers given to it by the PATRIOT Act.
A March 2007 Justice Department audit found the FBI improperly and, in some cases, illegally used the PATRIOT Act to secretly obtain personal information about American citizens.

As president, Barack Obama would revisit the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material witness provision.

Eliminate Warrantless Wiretaps.
Barack Obama opposed the Bush Administration’s initial policy on warrantless wiretaps because it crossed the line between protecting our national security and eroding the civil liberties of American citizens.
As president, Obama would update the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to provide greater oversight and accountability to the congressional intelligence committees to prevent future threats to the rule of law.

Obama Campaign Speech in Washington, DC, 08/01/07

Link to Speech
edit on 26-2-2011 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join