It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs temporary extension of Patriot Act

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by kolcath

Why three months?

It just makes me feel like we are waiting for something. Perhaps something that will justify a more permanent adoption of the Patriot Act. So what are they waiting for? Unrest here in the US? Trouble in the mid east to spread to Iran? Aliens to invade?

Edit to add, I knew the little happy dances over the failure to extend the Patriot Act a while back were premature. They are up to something.

Maybe because in three months they won't be needing it! Maybe they have something much better in store for us.

OH THE WAITING!!!!

The world has gone MAD!!!!

edit on 25-2-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

inkyminds wrote:

I'd bet you'de be the first to blame the government if a bomb wen of in your state.

I think you're on the wrong forum, buddy.
edit on 27-2-2011 by DocEmrick because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2011 by DocEmrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by inkyminds
Seeing as I am not a legal scholar, I was wondering if someone could explain to me exactly HOW these specific aspects of the Patriot Act are 'unconstitutional'? It would appear to me that these are necessary tools for dealing with very real threats.

Can anyone explain to shilly ol me why I am wrong, in a helpful, constructive fashion?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
Conversely, since this is a 'conspiracy' site, wouldn't it stand to reason that it's the 'Terrorists" who want us to believe that this is unconstitutional, since it will serve their means?

The Act dramatically reduced restrictions on law enforcement agencies' ability to search telephone, e-mail communications, medical, financial, and other records; eased restrictions on foreign intelligence gathering within the United States; expanded the Secretary of the Treasury’s authority to regulate financial transactions, particularly those involving foreign individuals and entities; and broadened the discretion of law enforcement and immigration authorities in detaining and deporting immigrants suspected of terrorism-related acts. The act also expanded the definition of terrorism to include domestic terrorism, thus enlarging the number of activities to which the USA PATRIOT Act’s expanded law enforcement powers can be applied.

The threats are very real as you described but why in the world does the government spend $50 billion annually and not catch these guys? You have to wonder, is it really about catching terrorists or is it about expanding their army. BTW, they didn't need the Patriot Act before 9/11 and it worked fine. How did they gather intelligence and know that terrorists wanted to hi-jack planes and destroy the twin towers? BTW, there was an intel project that said there was a possible terrorist attack coming soon I forgot the name I will let you know when I find out.

All evidence point to someone on the inside helping the terrorists and the intelligence community knowing something was up prior to the attack.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kolcath

Yep, Obama is obviously not bring much change to this country I agree. For a constitutional lawyer and a new face, I had hoped he would have taken a stand against this law, but this is the second time. Obama did not promise to take down the patriot act, nevertheless, his willingness to sign it in is an indication as to how DC has not changed.

As for other members insisting tea partiers are taking action on this law, what a joke, out of the 60 out tea party candidates voted in back 2010, 8 of them on voted against it (26 republicans in total, 122 Democrats in total) so honestly, I don't see much change. It's great that the likes of Ran Paul took a stand, I don't agree with that man on many things but by the least I could credit him for making a stand against this law. So why are most other tea party representitives not taking his lead? Why the silence? Why are liberals so silent? Yes I am aware of the wisconsin issues and Unions, but if liberals gave half as much care about the patriot act as they do about unions, maybe we'd see some movement.

Yep.. democrats once again blurring themselves in with Republicans. Glad I see em' for what they are.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
My hypothetical question is this... If the birth certificate is found to be a fraud, and the prez is canned, won't his signature on the patriot extension be null and void; and won't the act (which reached expiration) expire for lack of a presidential signature? Also, to renew it, wouldn't they have to start all over? Just wondering...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join