It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bicyling Teen: Surveillance Video Shows Police Brutality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

NYPD Internal Affairs is investigating allegations of police brutality related to the arrest of a teenager in a Bronx bodega last Friday night. Surveillance video (below) from the bodega shows the teen, Jorge Cartagena Jr., saying something to an unidentified officer as the cop exits the deli. The cop then whirls around, grabs the teen, and flings him against a shelf of snack food. Moments earlier, outside the bodega, the officer had given Cartagena Jr., 19, a warning about riding his bike on the sidewalk.

The surveillance video shows the officers dragging the teen to the ground and arresting him. Cartagena Jr.—who wants to be a cop when he grows up—tells WABC that as he was handcuffed, one officer "was slamming my head against the floor over and over." He sustained cuts and bruises on his face and body, and now says he's "so hurt because it's the police officers, and they're supposed to be there to help us."

Click here for Video

Way to set the example for the kid who wants to grow up to be like his hero. These guys are nothing more than bullys when they take advantage of their power in such a way. Unfortunately these inccidents are becoming more common all over the world.

This follows on the heels of another incident on Feburary 8th at Rutgers University:

Rutger's inccident
edit on 25-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It amazes me that people are still shocked when things like this happen. This literally happens everyday all over the place, and people still support police out of fear that other people are more dangerous. Police in my experience are much more of a threat to me than any individual or group.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I see new police brutality videos uploaded to Youtube on a daily basis, some are older videos, not always brand new but still... the points are being made I think and no one is listening.

When ONE child hurts another in a school by hitting him with a stick, all sticks are banned from schools hence forth.
When a police officer shoots an innocent civilian because of (insert made up reason), they are praised, get paid leave, and nothing ever happens from the internal investigations.

How many times have we all heard, "the officer acted properly according to procedures"? How many times does the tape tell the real story and yet there are no malicious findings? We're in trouble folks.
WAKE UP!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well least he may wake up faster then some other people on cops abusing authority. But wanting to be a better police is about as dumb as thinkin there are good cops out there. Using force at the hand of a gun (POLICE) does not work, only hired thugs by the gov to collect fines and taxes and keep power where it is so no change can be made. Only make peoples lives worse. I actually was asked by a cop why do you hate us? Oh course all I could do was laugh and try to give him a speech. This of course when he came to my place all trying to be all high and mighty cop, accusing me of being someone he was told was a woman beater. Course his ego was fed with a false tip and he had nothing and just harrassed me freely.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think it's ironic how the boy wants to be a police officer. Maybe he can rise to the occasion, and become a LAW ABIDING police officer, and clean up the mess in his precinct.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Way to set the example for the kid who wants to grow up to be like his hero. These guys are nothing more than bullys when they take advantage of their power in such a way. Unfortunately these inccidents are becoming more common all over the world.

maybe the kid will sign up as an investigator for internal afffairs

so some good may come out of this
one lives in hope

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wonder what he said to the cop at the checkout counter?
The news report said that he had been given a verbal warning about riding his bike on the sidewalk,
so what could he have possibly said to set that pathetic excuse for a LEO off?

I give the kid kudos for wanting to still be a LEO...who knows...he may be the next Serpico...
Sometimes doing what's right can become painful...but it's the intent that truly matters.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
They are not becoming more common, people are paying more attention. Police brutality/abuse has always been common, maybe not on TV or in white neighborhoods/suburbs. Fortunately more people are filming & speaking out against these abuses.

top topics

join