It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zoom in on the moon: Astronomers create most detailed lunar landscape images ever seen (You can go u

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Access to the composite of 1,300 smaller photos is free online

The photograph, which has been made freely available on the Internet, is a composite of 1,300 smaller photos taken by the wide-angle camera on the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), which is circling the Earth in a polar orbit.

If you are still labouring under the illusion it is made of cheese, this should set your mind to rest. Astronomers have created the sharpest pictures yet of the moon which allow the armchair amateur to zoom in to incredible levels of detail. The giant photo lets you focus in on craters and cracks on the surface as if they were right in front of you - even though they are 240,000 miles away. Viewers can also move along lunar mares and crevices in a way that only experts or astronauts who visited the planet were able to do before.

In total it is 24,000 x 24,000 pixels in size - by comparison a typical digital camera would capture an image of just 2,000 pixels wide by 1,500 pixels tall. The zoom function means that a range of features on the moon which have been of interest to astronomers for years are clearly visible. They include the Mare Nubium, a large lunar plain on the surface, or the Posidonius crater, which was caused by the impact of an asteroid millennia ago.

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Link to the photo to zoom in on: wms.lroc.asu.edu...

Im telling you. the best and most closest yet-for the noobs at least. Go ahead try it out. Then we can discuss why I put this thread here in the UFO/Alien Forum.

I joined ATS on the premises of discovering the truth about UFO/Aliens etc. I have seen both sides (or more) presented here on ATS with supporting photos and videos etc.

Well, use this map and go look at those places where Alien buildings/crafts/houses/cities etc are suppose to be at. Tell us what you see. We'll wait.

For the rest I will say, don't expect any reply.

Now, I have been looking at this for a bit and haven't found one smudge. Can you find one? Then maybe we can talk cover up of Alien life etc.

MODS. feel free to move to Space Exploration etc if need be. I was just hoping to stir UFO/Alien debate etc.

ENJOY this one,

edit on 2/24/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Wow, that is beautiful.. Thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Awesome image!
I zoomed in on of the craters and saw Elroy Jetson playing in a sandbox with Astro.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
That's what I'm saying.

Let me see the ATS member who claims there are buildings etc up there on the Moon, use this and show me where they see such things.

Lets put this stuff to rest now! :O)

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

One thing I never got about the moon was how can there be impact craters on the front when it is facing Earth the whole time? Do the meteor's come in on an angle? Was it there from before the moon was a satellite?

BTW, that's a stunning photo.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Excellent question. Maybe the thing got turned around a long time ago from so many hits?

Be sure to click on the links and go the page where you can click on the moon and really zoom in!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I see lots of strange things but then again, it is the moon.
Wish you could zoom in further, though. I mean, come on, we can take snapshots of a bajillion galaxies but this is the best we can get of that big rock in orbit? Still, thanks for sharing!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Is it a map of the whole sphere? Do you honestly believe that NASA, with all their advanced technology can't create software to cover things up better than a smudge? That only happens when Ty have to go through hundredsof photos. This is a map zoom project.

Do you really believe if there were( I am neutral here) they wouldn't make sure every square inch was perfect?This s not just a photo. It's meant to be scrutinized and studied.

Thats just logic. I really don't believe one way or the other. I think if there were such things surely intelligent life of any kind knows one step up from a monkey may have telescopes. If there was a reason to be hidden, I imagine it is possible until we can navigate space better.

That being said I really have never seen proof one way or the other.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Gorgeous, thanks for posting that.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I have a friend who's dad is in charge of doing touch ups to Nasa photos before they are displayed in public or to the public.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
That's what I'm saying.

Let me see the ATS member who claims there are buildings etc up there on the Moon, use this and show me where they see such things.

Lets put this stuff to rest now! :O)

We need images like this from the "Dark Side of the Moon" That's where the entrance to the center of the moon is located. Silly Rabbit...

Cheers!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
will be hard to find anything
Resolution 145 m/pixel is the closest you get.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
reply to post by anon72

One thing I never got about the moon was how can there be impact craters on the front when it is facing Earth the whole time? Do the meteor's come in on an angle? Was it there from before the moon was a satellite?

the earths gravity slingshots them in to the moon

i180.photobucket.com...
edit on 24-2-2011 by birdyat101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
What a phenomenal resource.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Is the coordinate system by some of you working? I only get 0.0 and 0.0 all over the place. Kinda hard to zoom on exact places without coordinates. What´s with the dark side of the moon?

btw: NASA always lies. Never trust them. Never!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Found a huge X marks the spot on the left side of the moon. Interresting.

S&F for the find.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Wasn't the truth about the LRO already covered? NASA claims that there needs to be a reflector on the surface of the moon in order to bounce back the LRO laser, but now they can do this without the ground reflectors accurately?

There could be a Disneyland on the surface of the moon built by underwater Martians... do you really believe NASA will tell or show us that? Ever?
They have software that is far ahead of simple smudging at this point.

Waste of time I think. I'll wait for Independent photos of the moon not tied to corporations or governments.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Am I a jerk if I say I wish this thing could zoom in further?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

Not at all but it´s NASA. You know.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
reply to post by anon72

While the far side is more apt to get hit than the near side, Meteors can hit the near side of the Moon without coming in at a sharp angle. If you take consider Earth/Moon system at true scale, you will see that there is plenty of room for asteroids to get past the Earth and still impact on that face of the Moon:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fee707fd0e82.jpg[/atsimg]image source: btc.montana.edu...

However, even considering this, it is true that there is a reason that the far side of the Moon is more cratered than the near side.

Great photo, OP

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join