It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zoom in on the moon: Astronomers create most detailed lunar landscape images ever seen (You can go u

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

The reason i had thought this picture strange as i am aware of what lavatubes look like is I never knew they would follow a crater lip...
when the crater hit the moon, the crater lips form like a upheaval and the depth increasees, so the crater lip would be thicker ground would it not?
so then that would tell me that in order for the lava tube to be along the same path as the crater lip, it would have to be formed after the crater was formed. So is it then possible for a lavatube to be formed on the lip of a crater taking in the consideration that the ground would be thicker? if the metorite hit the ground there, i would think the lavatube would be collapsed in a more non-uniform patter rather then a arc around the lip.

Also the lava tube collapse isnt that far down because if you follow it down where it curve around the lip of the first crater, it ends dramatically on a smaller more recent crater that isnt as deep as the original.

correct me if i'm wrong .. just seems weird that lavatube would follow (even partially) the lip of an ancient crater.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The same thing I said in another post, if they're extremely sure about life not being in the Moon, why take B&W pictures of it?

BTW, what are those long "stripes" I'd say, although they look more like cuts or something, through the darker areas? I've seen them on the back of the Moon, on older photos, but never on the front.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

ALL FAKES ! (computer made)
like they went to moon ...
yea right...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
so i found apollo 11 guess what it's blur out .... anybody know why???

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by srbouska
reply to post by JAGx1981

The reason i had thought this picture strange as i am aware of what lavatubes look like is I never knew they would follow a crater lip...
when the crater hit the moon, the crater lips form like a upheaval and the depth increasees, so the crater lip would be thicker ground would it not?
so then that would tell me that in order for the lava tube to be along the same path as the crater lip, it would have to be formed after the crater was formed. So is it then possible for a lavatube to be formed on the lip of a crater taking in the consideration that the ground would be thicker? if the metorite hit the ground there, i would think the lavatube would be collapsed in a more non-uniform patter rather then a arc around the lip.

Also the lava tube collapse isnt that far down because if you follow it down where it curve around the lip of the first crater, it ends dramatically on a smaller more recent crater that isnt as deep as the original.

correct me if i'm wrong .. just seems weird that lavatube would follow (even partially) the lip of an ancient crater.

It should be thicker but then again, everything that Nasa and most agencies produce to the public are always filled with contradictions and questions. I simply do not know enough to give a response that I can fully feel is a guaranteed answer. But anything is possible, and for that reason, I will stay open minded on the subject.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The image in the original posting is 150m resolution.

There are other images at 0.5m resolution, like this one -

There's about 220+ images at high resolution over here

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Lunar Anomalies is probably a better word

here ya go
www.keelynet.com...
www.redicecreations.com...

There are lots of Anomalies with the moon but your going to have to do your own research

There are many stories as well about the moon not always being there.
www.halexandria.org...

edit on 24-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by space718

so i found apollo 11 guess what it's blur out .... anybody know why???

Could you please elaborate on what you wrote.

Very confusing.

Where is Apollo 11?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
reply to post by anon72

One thing I never got about the moon was how can there be impact craters on the front when it is facing Earth the whole time? Do the meteor's come in on an angle? Was it there from before the moon was a satellite?

The Earth neither shields the Moon from, nor increases the chance of, meteorite hits. From a strictly probabilistic aspect, the Earth has just as much chance of deflecting a rock towards the Moon as away from it. Even then, a gravitational "bank-shot" off the Earth is unlikely to hit the Moon, because they are pretty far apart in relation to their size. If you wanted to model the distance using a 12" globe of the Earth, the Moon would be the size of a baseball (3") thirty feet away.

Something like this:

O
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

o

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slipdig1
I have a friend who's dad is in charge of doing touch ups to Nasa photos before they are displayed in public or to the public.

Yeah? Well I have a friend whose dad says that you friend's dad is a big, fat liar.

So there!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boreas
I see lots of strange things but then again, it is the moon.
Wish you could zoom in further, though. I mean, come on, we can take snapshots of a bajillion galaxies but this is the best we can get of that big rock in orbit? Still, thanks for sharing!

If you go to this site you ca access ~100,000 LROC Narrow Angle Camera (NAC) images with resolutions of ~50cm/pixel. The interface takes some getting used to.

- Center on an area of interest either by entering lat & long (note that entering 0 lat & 180 long will give you access to the far side), or select "recenter & zoom" for the mouse-action.

- When you've got the area you want, click on "Toggle Layers".

- Select "primary mission" under LROC NACs and click "Update Layers" (You may need to scroll down to do this).

- It may take several (~30) seconds, but a bunch of long, thin, vertical, red rectangles will appear overlaying the main image. Each one of these represents the footprint of a NAC image pair.

- Back at "mouse-action", select "Get Footprint Info".

- On the main image, click on one of the red footprints. Th page will appear to reload.

- Scroll down to the bottom of the page. You will see a thumbnail of the image-pair you selected. If several footprints overlapped, all of the thumbnails will be displayed.

- Click on either the left or right image of a thumbnail-pair. A new window will pop-up with the NAC image in a zoomable interface.

- The new window will have all of the photo information including resolution and lat/long of each corner.

One of the ideosynchracies of the NAC image database is that some of the have south (instead of north) at the top, some are mirror-image flips, and some are both. Compare it with your zoom on the main image to make sure your orientation is understood. I think that the guys at Arizona State University are concentrating more on getting the images out there and will correct the orientions later.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Heres my Favourite find lol

Looks someone waving :0)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e0a1bc81a65d.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 24-2-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Awesome find and nice to see something positive and interesting posted for once instead of the end of the world over and over again S&F for you

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Very pretty, thanks for sharing. Too bad they didn't show the secret alien spacebase
It's nice and clear, and makes me want to howl at it. But i do wonder how much is photoshoped, and how much is real. Not that i'm saying its you. I just think there's something on the moon that the government is hiding.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
reply to post by anon72

One thing I never got about the moon was how can there be impact craters on the front when it is facing Earth the whole time? Do the meteor's come in on an angle? Was it there from before the moon was a satellite?

BTW, that's a stunning photo.

Wow, I was wondering the same thing!! You'd think that there'd be some elongated marks from angular impacts, but apparently there aren't...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

It's funny how there are black stripes over landing sites... Or is that just because it's not loading properly?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

For what it's worth, I included a photo similar to your drawing, which may illustrate your point better back on page 1 in a post Here...
...but your graphic is nice, too

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar

It's funny how there are black stripes over landing sites... Or is that just because it's not loading properly?

You can find some of the Apollo landing site images Here

and Here (same images. but different commentary)

and another link Here. This one compares the orbital image to a surface-level image.
edit on 2/24/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

If you are still labouring under the illusion it is made of cheese, this should set your mind to rest.

So your telling me I've been hoarding all these nacho chips and jallies for nothing??

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
so we see these images aren't hq, wrong color, hq-cgi and absolutly borring...
moon snake: history.nasa.gov...
nazi-ufo: history.nasa.gov...
moon in color: photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join