It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wife placed on terror list

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I love this story - it just goes to show how the system can be abused by anyone with a grudge.
(I did a search but did not see if anyone else has already posted the article - please remove if so).

A United Kingdom immigration officer became so sick of his wife that he added her name to a terrorist watch list, leaving her stuck in Pakistan for three years.

According to The Mirror, the officer placed her name on a register listing individuals banned from boarding flights coming into the UK. She was visiting family overseas at the time.

I guess she was terrorising him so technically he did not do anything wrong. In fact my ex-mother in law should be placed on one of these lists as well.

Only when the officer applied for a promotion - and his superiors ran a security check - was he caught out. He confessed and was promptly fired.

I wonder if she is still in Pakistan.

Link

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I heard that it's super hard to get of "the list".

Is that true? Will it take months to actually redact a name?
Hmmm.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Imagine the red-tape involved in trying to get herself off that list. Good thing she has family in Pakistan - if she had been stranded in a country where she had no family she could have been in quite a bif of trouble.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I think Tony Blair should be on it.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The only reason it is so easy to get on it is because nobody can really tell if people are or aren't going to carry out some act of violence. It is the same way in Afghanistan and Iraq. If a bunch of villagers bring in a couple of guys and tell us that they are "insurgents or terrorists" we have to respect what they tell us because frankly we do not know if they are or aren't so we have to respect that they are "turning in insurgents/terrorists" and detain and question. The same thing goes for airlines or if someone reports someone else to the government or airport officials they will be put on the no fly list until they can be cleared and questioned.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
What a disgustingly 'civilised' world we live in. While the likes of DEMONS in disguise Tony Blair and Alastair Campbell are free as birds to continue to earn fortunes and laugh at us all, the likes of Robin Cook and David Kelly end up MURDERED for their honesty and compassion. Perfectly HORRID.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

"Detain and Question" is the key phrase here. In other words some sort of investigation takes place.

In the case of no-fly lists, it is obvious that no such investigation takes place - the list is taken as the ultimate authority and no investigation takes place.

There is obviously something very broken with the system when the act of adding someone to a list (and ruining their lives) is done so easily. There are no checks and balances anymore. Isn't one of the strengths of democracy the fact that it is a system of checks and balances?
A simple google search reveals that more and more inncoent people are placed on no-fly lists. It's like being in a state of purgatory.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It makes me sick that only a name is needed without the benefit of a real explanation, huh.
No priors, no claims to intent to do harm, no nothing!

Well I guess it works based on the Snitch App too. Unreal.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

It is all of a plan to make us distrust every one.

Divide and Conquer:

1.A combination of political, military and economic strategies that aim to gain and maintain power by breaking up larger concentrations of power into chunks that individually have less power than the one implementing the strategy

Link

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Well with so many people on the "no-fly" list it would be kind of hard to investigate all of the suspects. (note to self: Don't piss anyone off at airports in the future)

new topics

top topics

join