It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100,000+ Salaries for School Teachers?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
You people piss me off.

First, I plan on becoming a teacher, so I know a portion of the program plan

Secondly, none of you really understand because you have no passion in teaching. Perhaps a degree in Bitching for you instead. LOL

A few clear ups.

After Bachelor degree in teaching (IN MICHIGAN) wages are around 40,000$ a year.
Masters degree (IN MICHIGAN) is about 90,000$+ a year.

Here is the kicker, I have never made anything higher than 20,000 here in Michigan. Tough place to work at.

Here is some information you do not know about teaching, You are require to take additional classes after about 5 years. You get a teaching certificate and it will expire, eventually. Which will cost you another 20+ credits, around 20,000$ additional for more schooling. Teaching nowadays means that you will be in school for the rest of your life. Tough job.

Thirdly, it is not the teachers fault for educating you kids wrong, its the educational system. We have not had a major "SUPERMAN" to create a new way of teaching. Thus saying, I am going to try to expand the thinking process of children, I want them to question everything. I want it to be a pseudo philosophy way of teaching.

edit on 20-2-2011 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

You sound like you have the gusto that all teachers should have as a requirement, as opposed to the large percentage that I'm sure sees teaching as just a profession. And you are absolutely right IMHO about it not being the teacher's fault for a kid not learning. We need to think of education as a much bigger picture. There are so many other factors behind kids not being able to perform as well as the average, such as A.D.H.D., A.D.D ( or whatever freakin acronym you want to insert and medicate), financial situations, and lets not forget the whole issue of kids can be and will be mean.

Finger point all you want as to why a kid is "stupid" for lack of a better term. Bitching about who is being the fattest cat and the ensuing propaganda wars is just fkn mad! Divide and conquer. Screw the gawdamn labels and realize the giant kid with the magnifying glass is burning ALL you little ants and putting up posters saying it was the other ant colony.

Dammnit they killed Kenny again.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Oh no, I get it. I'm a lowly phone guy who should not get paid more then a teacher, because I don't teach the youth.
I got it.

No, clearly you did not.

The fact that I disagree with you and him does not then place me in default no intelligent discussion.
Teachers should not cry foul. They are paid by the tax payer. The tax payer has spoken and they are pissed.

Fact is, the money is gone. Spent on crap. Time to suck it up and stop crying.

It's one thing to disagree, it's another when you disagree by fudging things, using personal attacks and insults and ignore anything that doesn't fit your opinion. You aren't disagreeing, you are trying to claim "victory" on the internet.

I am officially done with you in this thread, since you have added nothing, but what I listed above. Good evening and enjoy your ignorance.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
School teachers are revered in the ranks such as lawyers in Japan.

United states got this shotty attitude because majority of the generation before us have never experienced such a technological advancement. In my opinion I do believe we rank around number 30 something in our educational system in the world. That is honestly sad, but it is the government we should be blaming, not the teachers.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by macman

It's still a sit-on-your-ass job no matter how many miles of cable you monitor from your desk.

I spent 7 years in the USAF, been a shrimper, worked for years as a construction electrician, owned and ran two small businesses, headed a fire/burglar alarm installation crew, and been a small farmer....among other things.

I know hard work from sit-on-your-ass jobs. You spend your days in comfortable air-conditioning more often than not. You also get overtime pay, which teachers don't, so the length of your workday is rewarded by extra pay, so it's entirely up to you how long you want to work, and you're well rewarded for extra effort.

Teachers are expected to put in the extra effort on every level, but the only reward they are offered is the warm and fuzzy feeling of doing good work.

Yeah, because you follow me around on a daily basis

Your retort is childish at best.
So instead of standing in front of a chalk board, I sit on my ass. How many schools don' have AC?
As for hourly, yep. If I work extra, I get paid OT. If I voluntarily took a Govt paid job, a salaried job, I would not get paid OT. Nor would I bitch and moan about it either.
OT is not a sure thing.
Teachers are not on call. Teachers do not run cable, climb into man holes. Nor do they examine lines of codes for errors. Nor are they responsible for 911 telecom/IT traffic. Nor do they know translations. Nor do they perform the duties of shipping and receiving. They do not install or maintain equipment. Teachers don;t do half the things I do.
Do you see me protesting anywhere? No.
Again, spare me the boo hoo session for teachers. They were not forced into the job.
Oh yeah, out of my normal day, I spend maybe about 2 hours at my office.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Jordon? Meaning no disrespect. You actually believe in TENURE and a free pass from the real world.

Not blaming you,but you fail to understand only government payed jobs are a paycheck lifeline until death.

We civilians don't have that. And your/that's part of the problem. You really don't get it. You actually believe the "womb to tomb" financial security with zero risk.
Oh..You went to school and didn't flunk...wow ..pretty risky. Your wild!

Oh, you have to anti up and get new certification, to continue automatic pay increases.. BOO HOO.

Did Ford and General Motors screw up letting unskilled workers get paid $30 dollars an hour to sweep the floors? Yep...
Fords or Unions fault? I DON"T CARE... hehehehe
When teachers and postal workers and Federal and Local govenment employees make more money then the commoner PAYING the taxes...
Theres going to be pissed off people.
I'm not a Republican,Democrat or Tea Bagger... I'm pissed my friends the teachers laff at me because I'm in the private secter reinventing my worth while they LAFF and say.."Should have been a teacher,Our Union protects us. YOU go chase the brass ring... I'm set for life ".

Not cool...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Alright, how bout cut down the US military cheerleading squad budget (marching band) which hovers around 500 million annually. Oh wait, I guess we can have them march around in Wisconsin while the National Guard keeps the peace..

Kenny!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Here is some information you do not know about teaching, You are require to take additional classes after about 5 years. You get a teaching certificate and it will expire, eventually. Which will cost you another 20+ credits, around 20,000$ additional for more schooling. Teaching nowadays means that you will be in school for the rest of your life. Tough job.

SO??? You think the rest of us are not REQUIRED to take additional education???? I had to take a course every semester the entire time I worked to keep my certification and that did not include other course my employer required.

Recertification Journal: Obtain a minimum of 18 recertification units during your three-year certification period. Document them in your recertification journal.

Oh and I never got a pay raise for all the blasted courses I took,more than 150 additional credit hours.

edit on 20-2-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by intelinside451

Divide and Conquer. By dividing us, they control us. By overpaying government employees to the level they are willing to turn on those in the private sector, they are creating a guaranteed voter base, control of the Unions and an army of loyal groupies to shield them from those of us who create the wealth and pay for everything.

It's an old pattern seen throughout history. It requires no organization or grand plan beyond the basics we see now. Just keep shoveling candy in peoples mouths to addict them and then they will side with you, no matter what you do.

It's reached the level where most government and Union workers would willingly turn on everyone else and we are seeing the start of that. They have found the sweet spot, the level of bribery it takes to get people to blindly follow and defend. Alinsky would be so proud, he would be having orgazm's just watching the evening news. Stalin is jumping for joy in whatever part of Hell he resides in.

No matter how many times in history this repeats itself, it always works. The end game is very similar to the former Soviet Union. An Elite at the top who are the only ones with access to wealth and power. Party / Union / Government Workers loyal because they are constantly bribed with money and special priveledges. The People who do all the work and produce all the wealth, but have no access to it.

The later being virtual slaves given just enough to survive and made to feel guilty if they should desire more out of life. Controled by the Party / Union / Government group which fears loosing their special priveledges, while the Elite lavish in their wealth and power.

We will continue to see Unions gain more and more power and control and soon, very soon, we will start to be prepared for a change in our system of government, starting by convincing our children the Constitution is a relic and programing them, as the younger they are, the easier they are to program. Since they control the Teachers they will control everything soon.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by backwherewestarted

Originally posted by macman

Oh no, I get it. I'm a lowly phone guy who should not get paid more then a teacher, because I don't teach the youth.
I got it.

No, clearly you did not.

The fact that I disagree with you and him does not then place me in default no intelligent discussion.
Teachers should not cry foul. They are paid by the tax payer. The tax payer has spoken and they are pissed.

Fact is, the money is gone. Spent on crap. Time to suck it up and stop crying.

It's one thing to disagree, it's another when you disagree by fudging things, using personal attacks and insults and ignore anything that doesn't fit your opinion. You aren't disagreeing, you are trying to claim "victory" on the internet.

I am officially done with you in this thread, since you have added nothing, but what I listed above. Good evening and enjoy your ignorance.

What's being fudged?
Teachers are paid from tax revenue.
When the tax payer/voter speaks, the Govt paid employee is to listen. Not bite back as if they are in control.
Teachers, Govt employees and Politicians are not above the rest of us.
If we all must cut back, then we ALL must. Not everyone but the Govt worker.

edit on 20-2-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

link   
My education system have failed me, I was in a "resource/special ed" room due to my A.D.D, on top of an issue called dysgraphia, I have poor socially accepted writing legibility skills. My parents fought against the school and won in a lawsuit, thus I was able to receive a better education, but an education that would surpass my so called "disability". I have realized that majority of our educational structure is online. Honestly, you could teach a kid through the internet (REAL INFORMATION) Geography, math, science, etc. searching skills plus more. People give up on Kids, most honestly I do believe that medicine is a social construct to form them into what society wants them to be (instead of changing the educational system). I for one only respect the system and as I go further down the rabbit hole I will hopefully see the shame of what it really is and make it better. Although, you will never hear of me. I tend to do this. and this all starts with primary kids. VIVA REVOLUTION

link   
I like how the teachers at my school complained they didn't get paid much. But then you see them roll in one day with a new truck or a fricking Porsche! Though recently, they've been cutting a lot of classes and all the newer teachers that have come have gone, seems like they're only keeping the old ones around. What they should have really cut is all the stupid sports (especially football) they're putting a ridiculous amount of money in, or at least just cut the spending by half. Almost all of our sports teams suck...yeah exercise is good and all for students, but sucking isn't acceptable when most of the school's funding is going towards them.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

While this may seem like alot of cash... and err umm benefits.
These teachers teach, this is instrumental to "our" future.
There are lawyers out there making much more and they do not law.

Seriously with what college costs nowadays they may need it.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I do not understand how people believe that my perspective of teaching has created an opposing view to those of other opinion. I am not trying to attack those who have other views nor did I ever tend to create such an affliction

link   
I can't believe how much misinformation and stereotyping is going on in this thread.

1. Most teachers do not make the amount stated in the thread title. My sister, who has been awarded teacher of the year in a very large school district with many problem students, who has brought D and C students up to a B average, does not make nearly that amount. Even with all her benefits she still struggles to make ends meet.

2. There are many good teachers in the school system. The problem is the system itself. You cannot blame teachers for trying to teach when the government all but makes it impossible with programs such as "No Child Left Behind."

3. If you can name at least one teacher that has made a difference in your life then that teacher deserved all he or she ever earned and more.

link   

Originally posted by g146541

While this may seem like alot of cash... and err umm benefits.
These teachers teach, this is instrumental to "our" future.
There are lawyers out there making much more and they do not law.

Seriously with what college costs nowadays they may need it.

Again, no more needed by anyone else.
It was their choice to embark on the teaching career path.
Teachers should not be placed any higher then anyone else.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
They are required to go to school during the summer nowadays because of the bush plan to go to school in the summer time. Or their teaching certificate expires.

Sorry, but I gotta call BS on this one!
My mother-in-law is a teacher, my sister is a teacher, my cousin is a teacher and my best friend's wife is a teacher - each of them in different states and NONE of them have to go to school in the summer time. NONE! 2 of them work at side jobs for extra money, while still drawing their "salary" and the other 2 lounge about for 3 months.

True, teaching certificates expire, but not how you are portraying. In fact Here are Michigan's Exact Requirements for teaching certificate renewal. After 6 years one must complete 9 semester hours of approved coursework - that's 3 classes! By 12 years the teacher has to complete 9 more credit hours OR obtain a Master's Degree - again, 3 more classes! Oh, by the way, these can be completed ONLINE at an approved university.

It ain't that hard folks!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanterZ
Well, my mom is a second grade teacher and I think that all teachers deserve this pay. Teaching is a very tough and time consuming job and unless you've done it, or know someone who has done it, you never really know how much work goes into it. My mother is constantly working on lesson plans, grading papers, writing reports, coping with the stress factor that comes with the job.

I also believe that teaching is one of the most crucial jobs out there. Come on, what would you do without teachers? They deserve that salary.

By the way, teaching is a "highly skilled job".
edit on 20-2-2011 by PlanterZ because: (no reason given)

They deserve good pay for good results, not just for having a certain job.

There are a lot of bad teachers out there, and a lot that just have very little subject knowledge. I wonder how many teachers would pass the test that students must pass to graduate? Often when school districts try to have a teacher competency exam, so many teachers fail it, that they just have to stop giving those tests.

I am for well compensated teachers, but I want good teachers. Not just people warming a seat in the classroom. And I want bad teachers fired.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobra5000
I can't believe how much misinformation and stereotyping is going on in this thread.

1. Most teachers do not make the amount stated in the thread title. My sister, who has been awarded teacher of the year in a very large school district with many problem students, who has brought D and C students up to a B average, does not make nearly that amount. Even with all her benefits she still struggles to make ends meet.

This I believe is a reflection of what teachers make in WI. Yet they riot and protest when told they need to cut back.

Teachers in my area make around $38k a year, starting salary.
That's pretty good for a college grad now days.

link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
Jordon? Meaning no disrespect. You actually believe in TENURE and a free pass from the real world.

Not blaming you,but you fail to understand only government payed jobs are a paycheck lifeline until death.

You really think that I am really that unconscious about the system that is in place? That almost all humans are forced to work? This is a far bigger issue than any job and career. That is the primary issue of humanity thus far. You are mistaken if you believe that I do not see what you are trying to say

link   
reply to post by macman

How much of your day is spent driving?

You get paid a lot to get from here to there, time that a lot of other professions don't get paid for. So why should you be paid for sitting on your butt on the open road, enjoying the scenery, doing nothing productive?

I know a lot of people who could make a case for the pay to start when you arrive, and end when you leave the actual job site. Gee, I've heard of a group of folks who get paid like that...part-time college instructors, who comprise the vast majority of college teachers. They are called "freeway flyers" as they drive from one campus to another. They drive their own vehicles, and get paid only when on-site. Oh, yeah, construction workers get paid the same way.

You've got a fat-cat job that pays big bucks for driving around, mostly, it would seem.

Someone ought to suggest to the company you work for how much they could save if they didn't pay for travel time to the site.
edit on 20-2-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join