It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100,000+ Salaries for School Teachers?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Macman, I know of very few teachers who only work during the actual school year. Some have other summer jobs, some spend most of the summer preparing for the next year, some do other work in their district. Oh, and 10 hours is a low number, I am regularly putting in 12 hour days between actual teaching, grading and creating lesson plans.

One more item, when it comes to funding, teachers spend so much money out of their own pocket even for things so basic as paper and pencils.

Intelinside452-
1) Once, again the 100k number is intentionally misleading and false. How about you take your salary and add in the value of all benefits and post it for us. How about doing that for all jobs.

2) You cite the grad rate but put all of the blame on the teacher, ignoring other factors, such as the parents and the fact that you are trying to have someone learn something that they have the freewill to choose to not learn. How many jobs out their have success rates higher then that? Now how many of those with higher rates involve forcing something on to other people?

It's pathetic how people will only see what they want to see. Walk a mile in a teachers shoes, like I have done, then get back to me.
edit on 20-2-2011 by backwherewestarted because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by backwherewestarted

You know, the teacher took a salaried position. Those positions are subject to lengthy hours when busy, or little time spent working when slow. The fact that they have to work past the typical 8 hour work day just shows that maybe they don;t do their job well, or their time management is not what it should be.
If they wanted to be paid higher, try another profession.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelinside451

Am I so absolutely wrong here? Is this the way it should be? Should someone who teaches 1st grade make more than the majority of us who perform highly skilled or physically intensive jobs?

Yes, you are absolutely wrong here.

It is the way it should be. Those of "us" who perform highly skilled or physically intensive jobs should earn more. Its not that teachers should earn less.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

You know, the teacher took a salaried position. Those positions are subject to lengthy hours when busy, or little time spent working when slow. The fact that they have to work past the typical 8 hour work day just shows that maybe they don;t do their job well, or their time management is not what it should be.

Let me get this straight, you think that a teacher might not being doing their job well or be bad at time management if they have to bring tests and homework home to grade and prepare lesson plans in the evenings after school? Obviously you are ignorant to what a teacher does all day.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by backwherewestarted
Macman, I know of very few teachers who only work during the actual school year. Some have other summer jobs, some spend most of the summer preparing for the next year, some do other work in their district. Oh, and 10 hours is a low number, I am regularly putting in 12 hour days between actual teaching, grading and creating lesson plans.

Intelinside452-
1) Once, again the 100k number is intentionally misleading and false. How about you take your salary and add in the value of all benefits and post it for us. How about doing that for all jobs.

2) You cite the grad rate but put all of the blame on the teacher, ignoring other factors, such as the parents and the fact that you are trying to have someone learn something that they have the freewill to choose to not learn. How many jobs out their have success rates higher then that? Now how many of those with higher rates involve forcing something on to other people?

It's pathetic how people will only see what they want to see. Walk a mile in a teachers shoes, like I have done, then get back to me.

Great, so they work 9 months out of the year, for a job that has compensation upwards to $100k a year, then they get to work during the summer to make more money.
What a racket. Wish I had a job that allowed me to do that.

For a Govt paid position, they sure do get alot of perks.
Again, they should stop whining and get back to work.
They should also give back the money they would be paid for the time they wasted protesting, instead of working. Any other job in the US, they would have been fired.
Just another example of how the Govt job and Unions are above the fray.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm not argueing pay, but I would be happy as a college grad to take a 35k a year job working 33% less than my peers....
simple math even @ 30k a year, over 9 months time thats over $17 an hour.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Let me get this straight, you think that a teacher might not being doing their job well or be bad at time management if they have to bring tests and homework home to grade and prepare lesson plans in the evenings after school? Obviously you are ignorant to what a teacher does all day.

I do my job, plan and prepare. Deal with a lot more issue, people and things then most teachers. I have special projects assigned to me, prepare training docs and can do this within the scope of my work day.

Again, boo hoo for the teachers. They have to take paperwork home. They took the position, stop complaining. They were not forced to go into teaching.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Macman, was my question too hard for you?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Because there are so many other professions left in this country
Maybe they can go teach in India or China.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

One more item, when it comes to funding, teachers spend so much money out of their own pocket even for things so basic as paper and pencils.

Intelinside452-

They pay for stuff out of pocket. Question for you, what amount towards a teacher, goes to the Union? I am willing to bet that if that amount was removed from the Union, and placed to where it should be going, to fund the school, that issue would be gone.

My compensation is close to $80k a year. I have more training and certs then the average teacher. My job is not Govt funded. My responsibilities are about 10 times greater then most teachers. You will get no sympathy from me.
Teachers are paid via tax payers. They tax payers have spoken. Don't walk outside into a rain storm and be pissed when you get wet.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by macman

Because there are so many other professions left in this country
Maybe they can go teach in India or China.

There you go. That is thinking outside the box.
Come on, there are a lot of other professions to go into. It's a matter of choice.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but teachers in most states in the south do not make half as much as that Milwaukee bunch. What's interesting to me is that teachers get bad reputations because the country performs low compared to many others. The problem stems back to political correctness. In my school we do not offer many advanced classes, because of fear of hurting the feelings of parents whose kids don't qualify. Heaven forbid we pull special ed kids away from class to help them with one on one while providing kids who do not struggle more detailed instruction that they can use later. Even if I work my rear end off to help a kid who lays out of school twice a week because mom or dad doesn't make the kid go and fail that kid due to lack of effort guess who is forced to change that grade to passing grade so that the child can move on unprepared...I guess my arguement is that each state has its own regulations for schooling and our country is too big for that. The curriculums do not match up at all from state to state.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

They pay for stuff out of pocket. Question for you, what amount towards a teacher, goes to the Union? I am willing to bet that if that amount was removed from the Union, and placed to where it should be going, to fund the school, that issue would be gone.

My compensation is close to $80k a year. I have more training and certs then the average teacher. My job is not Govt funded. My responsibilities are about 10 times greater then most teachers. You will get no sympathy from me.
Teachers are paid via tax payers. They tax payers have spoken. Don't walk outside into a rain storm and be pissed when you get wet.

Interesting how you fail to mention your specific job, fail to add in benefits to tell us how much you "make" like the OP is claiming, fail to tell us your responsibilities, fail to tell us these certifications.

P.S.- Once again you have shown your complete ignorance about the teaching profession.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by puppy12
I'm sorry, but teachers in most states in the south do not make half as much as that Milwaukee bunch. What's interesting to me is that teachers get bad reputations because the country performs low compared to many others. The problem stems back to political correctness. In my school we do not offer many advanced classes, because of fear of hurting the feelings of parents whose kids don't qualify. Heaven forbid we pull special ed kids away from class to help them with one on one while providing kids who do not struggle more detailed instruction that they can use later. Even if I work my rear end off to help a kid who lays out of school twice a week because mom or dad doesn't make the kid go and fail that kid due to lack of effort guess who is forced to change that grade to passing grade so that the child can move on unprepared...I guess my arguement is that each state has its own regulations for schooling and our country is too big for that. The curriculums do not match up at all from state to state.

Another reason to abolish the ridicules "No child left Behind Act", and get rid of the Dept of Education. Let the states control it, and scope it down to the local level.
Also, sounds like you need to move to where the teachers have a cushy life.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Interesting how you fail to mention your specific job, fail to add in benefits to tell us how much you "make" like the OP is claiming, fail to tell us your responsibilities, fail to tell us these certifications.

P.S.- Once again you have shown your complete ignorance about the teaching profession.

Simple SA.
Pay is around $21-23 an hour. I am a Telecom Tech II for an ISP.
Certs range from Nortel/Lucent Switches to Cisco CCNA/CCNP. I am 1 of only 2 techs for all of UT, I stated that , maybe go back and look. I support about 40k customers, 1 switch site, 35 remote sites.
What else do you want?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Have you seen the unemployment rate? Maybe you need to get outside the box.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

God forbid they have a decent salary in order to be able to better help the students learn... I mean... Hey, it's not like they are doing anything important....

If they actually TAUGHT I would have a lot less problem with the salary. But guess what? Not one kid in our neighborhood, including HIGH SCHOOL students can ADD two single digit numbers!!!!!

We have a lot of animals and have a lot of kids visit. My spouse and I were floored to discover the kids could not add or subtract. We ended up tutoring most of the neighborhood. So please do not give me the sob story about teachers teaching. We even had some of the kids visit ten or so years later to thank us for changing their lives.

As a friend said when told to thank the teacher who taught him to read - "I taught myself to read at four!"
edit on 20-2-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

You make your job sound so difficult. You don't think everyone else is putting in 10 hours days, working on the weekends and putting in extra effort to be successful at their jobs? They don't have pensions that match their current salaries from when they retire to the time they die. I mean really, who gets pensions anymore???????? Much less the likes of which the teachers and state workers of this country are use to. Give me a break and stop your sob stories over there.

If you watched the video, the cost per teacher went up from $95,000 to $100,000 in just one year. That's insane!! I can guarantee you, there are people working out there that could only dream of a package like that.

Here's a great example:
A 57-year-old Ohio teacher with 35 years of experience receives an annuity equal to as much as 88 percent of his final year’s salary, along with guaranteed annual cost-of-living raises of 3 percent. It’s why the average retired teacher in Ohio collected $54,784 in 2010, an amount 15 percent higher than the state’s median household income.
www.washingtontimes.com... /day-of-reckoning-for-unionized-teachers-pensions/

Who even gets pensions anymore?????

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I know of very few teachers who only work during the actual school year.

That is funny because we lived next door to two school teachers for eleven years in Massachusetts. Every year they took off for a summer long trip all over the USA. We watched their house for them.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by macman

Have you seen the unemployment rate? Maybe you need to get outside the box.

All the more reason for the teachers to get back to work.
Employment within my career field is not so bad.
It boils down to either the teachers take a cut, or shortly down the road some get laid off.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join