It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100,000+ Salaries for School Teachers?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanterZ
Well, my mom is a second grade teacher and I think that all teachers deserve this pay. Teaching is a very tough and time consuming job and unless you've done it, or know someone who has done it, you never really know how much work goes into it. My mother is constantly working on lesson plans, grading papers, writing reports, coping with the stress factor that comes with the job.

I also believe that teaching is one of the most crucial jobs out there. Come on, what would you do without teachers? They deserve that salary.

By the way, teaching is a "highly skilled job".
edit on 20-2-2011 by PlanterZ because: (no reason given)

$100,000 to teach second grade? LOL!

Get real. I know someone whose wife is a teacher and he was completely honest with me about all this. He said that the only year you have a lot of work is the first year when you are setting up your teaching routine and program. After that it is just same old, same old year after year after year.

Whoa! Must be REALLY difficult grading those second grade papers.

The pay of teachers has been going through the roof while the quality of their product (the students) has gone through the floor.

What a great bargain for the taxpayer!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Part of the problem is that small businesses hear the word "business" and assume that what is good for multinational corporations is good for them, and it isnt.

..... The problem with many people is they dont take the time to follow all the threads and see for themselves who is really on their side. Small American businesses have much more in common with American workers, than they do with large companies, and multinationals.

Most small business entrepreneurs that I know are so busy trying to make a living they do no have the time to follow politics. Also if I remember correctly there was a very big flack about a year ago when a small business Assoc sold their members down the river and a lot of entrepreneurs quit.

Small businesses also do not have the resources to lobby the District of Criminals like the big guys do.

You are correct in that the large corporations are very much the enemies of the small business entrepreneurs. Most regulation is about killing off the small business competition and not about what is best for the country. If I had my way I would tear apart and wipe out ALL the multinational corporations. Any company over a few thousand workers should be BANNED.

In my experience small companies pay less but are great to work for. They are more flexible and responsive to the needs of customers and to their workers. A company where the owner comes around and hands out the pay check and talks to each worker doesn't NEED a union because the lines of communication are open. If times are tough everyone knows it and can help with the solutions. Heck in one of the companies I worked for we all agreed to work Saturday and Sunday a couple of weeks before holidays like the 4th of July and then got the whole week off. It was a win-win because we didn't have to shut down the reaction vessels and saved time for the company and in return we got an extra days vacation!

..small businesses provide jobs for many individuals who might otherwise be shut out of the workforce because of disability, discrimination or other factors.... Since the mid 1990s, between 60 and 80 percent of all new jobs were created by small businesses....

small businesses garner 13 times more patents per employee than large firms. Moreover, the patents from small businesses are twice as likely than those from large firms to be among the one percent most cited. Small businesses tend to have fewer layers of bureaucracy, which often allows them to be more responsive to market forces and able to take advantage of innovations in technology. www.ehow.com...

link   
reply to post by intelinside451

I don't know about the rest of the country but here in San Diego, CA teachers work less than half the year. Don't beleive me? Check out thier own calendar. www.sandi.net...
The school year here runs from September to September. Between weekends, Holidays, Summer vacation and half-days they are off more than they work. What is not shown on this calendar is that Wedensday's are half-days. So there are 35 Wednesday's in the school year which is 35x.5= 17.5 additional days of non teaching.

link   

Originally posted by macman

I can do a better job of teaching my own child. I have no Union to deal with. I am in control of what is taught. I have guidelines to follow just like schools. It is not any drain on the tax system. It puts me, the parent back in charge of my child.

Ok, you already have the right to teach your child at home.

So what makes you think you can go from "I can do a better job of teaching my child" to "every parent can do a better job teaching their child, and therefore we should do away with public school?"

Its not good reasoning. The logic is flawed. You cannot accurately generalize that way. Because if you go, and spend some time in a very low income area, you will quickly find that there are many, many parents who are not qualified to home school their children. Even in upper class areas, sometimes mommy is an alcoholic, or prescription drug addict, and even though she is smart, she cant really teach her kids.

Single parent households are homes in which home schooling really isnt feasible.

There are lots of cases where it just is not a good idea. Im glad it works for you and your family. But society decided to go to public schooling for a reason. There is a reason it is still being spread around the globe. It offers children a much better chance to becomes a higher paid wage slave on average than relying on home schooling alone.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
OK im new here this is my first response i am from Wisconsin. As you know we have alot of protesting going on because of horrible governor in the corporations pockets who is out to bust unions. Anyways because of this post, i have noticed how ignorant some people are. I found this on Facebook and and thought it can give you some perspective.

Are you sick of high paid teachers? Teachers’ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It’s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - baby sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That’s right. Let’s give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM

with 45 min. off for lunch and plan — that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children.

Now how many do they teach in day…maybe 30? So that’s $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET’S SEE…. That’s $585 X 180= $105,300 peryear. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master’s degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children

X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute — there’s something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher’s salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student–a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!)

by Eedroj Remier

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by macman

I can do a better job of teaching my own child. I have no Union to deal with. I am in control of what is taught. I have guidelines to follow just like schools. It is not any drain on the tax system. It puts me, the parent back in charge of my child.

Ok, you already have the right to teach your child at home.

So what makes you think you can go from "I can do a better job of teaching my child" to "every parent can do a better job teaching their child, and therefore we should do away with public school?"

Its not good reasoning. The logic is flawed. You cannot accurately generalize that way. Because if you go, and spend some time in a very low income area, you will quickly find that there are many, many parents who are not qualified to home school their children. Even in upper class areas, sometimes mommy is an alcoholic, or prescription drug addict, and even though she is smart, she cant really teach her kids.

Single parent households are homes in which home schooling really isnt feasible.

There are lots of cases where it just is not a good idea. Im glad it works for you and your family. But society decided to go to public schooling for a reason. There is a reason it is still being spread around the globe. It offers children a much better chance to becomes a higher paid wage slave on average than relying on home schooling alone.

Because once the responsibility is placed back onto the parent, the rude awakening will put most in gear.
Those that don't will produce failure.
With that said, it is not the responsibility of society to guarantee success or failure. It is on the individual.
Society did not choose public education, it was created by in large via Fed Govt.
Now, if the states and localities were to take back education, we would be even better still.
Having the Fed Govt control it is the main issue.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by backwherewestarted

Two questions:

1) Aren't their bad employees in your career field?

2) How do you think teachers should "rated" (since I can't think of a better term right now).

Aren't their bad employees in your career field?
Yes and they were often those fresh out of school and had no morals or work ethic. I fired them. I am not their mother and I am not their teacher but for some reason they think they can get away with the same crap they pulled at home and in school.

If you are late to work, take long breaks and lunches, back sass and call me unprintable names, break equipment intentionally and worse fake data because you are too lasy to do the work, I WILL FIRE YOU!

How do you think teachers should "rated"

By results.
As a Manager I had nothing but contempt for our school system. If they graduate from a two year program or college and they can not do their job, if they can not even be on time, polite and neat and tidy in appearance, THEN YOU TEACHERS (and the rest of society) FAILED to prepare these poor kids for the real world! I was quite willing to do on the job training but not when I had to deal with a snotty brat who has not grown up.

...the U.S. ranks 21st out of 29 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries in mathematics scores, with nearly one-quarter of students unable to solve the easiest level of questions....In 2000, 28 percent of all freshmen entering a degree-granting institution required remedial coursework
www.edreform.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomyj04
OK im new here this is my first response i am from Wisconsin. As you know we have alot of protesting going on because of horrible governor in the corporations pockets who is out to bust unions. Anyways because of this post, i have noticed how ignorant some people are. I found this on Facebook and and thought it can give you some perspective.

Are you sick of high paid teachers? Teachers’ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It’s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - baby sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That’s right. Let’s give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM

with 45 min. off for lunch and plan — that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children.

Now how many do they teach in day…maybe 30? So that’s $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET’S SEE…. That’s $585 X 180= $105,300 peryear. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master’s degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children

X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute — there’s something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher’s salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student–a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!)

by Eedroj Remier

All the more reason to remove them from the equation.
I am tired of being beholden to teachers, Govt and Unions.

link   

Originally posted by Common Scarecrow

Well, my mom is a second grade teacher and I think that all teachers deserve this pay. Teaching is a very tough and time consuming job and unless you've done it, or know someone who has done it, you never really know how much work goes into it. My mother is constantly working on lesson plans, grading papers, writing reports, coping with the stress factor that comes with the job.

I also believe that teaching is one of the most crucial jobs out there. Come on, what would you do without teachers? They deserve that salary.

Get real. I know someone whose wife is a teacher and he was completely honest with me about all this. He said that the only year you have a lot of work is the first year when you are setting up your teaching routine and program. After that it is just same old, same old year after year after year.

The pay of teachers has been going through the roof while the quality of their product (the students) has gone through the floor.

About the bold part...that would be the definition of a bad teacher. Most teachers are constantly evolving their teaching plans, every year, every grading period, every day.

A question for you: How can you quantify that the teachers are completely responsible for "the quality of their product (the students) has gone through the floor.?"

link   

Where do you think the high salaries should go? Newsreaders who get $500000 for reading a teleprompter? Or maybe some guy who sells cars to people who don't need them? Teaching is a difficult and demanding job. The hours are long (believe it or not) and the work very tiring. They make a huge impact on lives, and this is mde even harder by idiots who don't try to educate their children at home before they start school (reading to them, playing leaning games etc) and just expect the school to do everything for them.

Teachers earn every penny they can get. By the way, what do you consider to be a worthwhile job?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hey Tomyj04,
Thanks for the math lesson. I loved it. This was once brought up at a heated teachers meeting I was attending and it put a lot of things in perspective. Bravo!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Sorry to say, but teachers and education is what helps this country be so successful. Without teachers none of us would learn the skills we need to be successful at our job or in life. You probably feel that professional athletes, and celebrities deserve the millions of dollars they receive, and they really don't provide any structure or benefit to society except for entertainment. You couldn't read, or do your job without your education. It's the basic building block to produce productive citizens in our society.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Throws his hands up in surrender, this i cannot defend as i think it would turn out much brighter students. Just one problem though, some of our modern parents don't know enough to cook their own meals yet alone teach a child. But yeah home schooling would turn out, for the ones who did it much smarter people.

With Dr. Robinson's system, you teach the kid to read and turn him loose to explore and teach himself within certain guidelines. His kids went on to test out of the first two years of college and the eldest has his PhD in Chemistry. (I point a lot of my customers in that direction)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

Two questions:

1) Aren't their bad employees in your career field?

2) How do you think teachers should "rated" (since I can't think of a better term right now).

Aren't their bad employees in your career field?
Yes and they were often those fresh out of school and had no morals or work ethic. I fired them. I am not their mother and I am not their teacher but for some reason they think they can get away with the same crap they pulled at home and in school.

If you are late to work, take long breaks and lunches, back sass and call me unprintable names, break equipment intentionally and worse fake data because you are too lasy to do the work, I WILL FIRE YOU!

How do you think teachers should "rated"

By results.
As a Manager I had nothing but contempt for our school system. If they graduate from a two year program or college and they can not do their job, if they can not even be on time, polite and neat and tidy in appearance, THEN YOU TEACHERS (and the rest of society) FAILED to prepare these poor kids for the real world! I was quite willing to do on the job training but not when I had to deal with a snotty brat who has not grown up.

...the U.S. ranks 21st out of 29 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries in mathematics scores, with nearly one-quarter of students unable to solve the easiest level of questions....In 2000, 28 percent of all freshmen entering a degree-granting institution required remedial coursework
www.edreform.com...

1) Yet you make teachers out to be horrible people who are mostly bad employees.

2) It is the parents job to prepare their children to be punctual, polite and tidy in appearance, not the teachers and the idea that it is the teachers responsibility is asinine at best. That kind of thinking is exactly what the biggest problem in education is today...parents who think teachers should raise their kids. A math teachers job is to give the kids the chance to learn and understand math, a history teachers job is to give the kids the chance to learn and understand history. The parents job is to teach the kids how to act appropriately, how to be punctual, how to be respectful,to have a solid work ethic and to work with their children to supplement their education. You are exactly what is wrong with our educational system and why some people make asinine statements about it in this thread.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by backwherewestarted

About the bold part...that would be the definition of a bad teacher. Most teachers are constantly evolving their teaching plans, every year, every grading period, every day.

A question for you: How can you quantify that the teachers are completely responsible for "the quality of their product (the students) has gone through the floor.?"

They always seem to want to take credit for the good, successful students and better test scores.

They seem to be responsible for the good but want no responsibility for the bad.

You can't have it both ways.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

There is a huge middle ground, and parents are dropping the ball far more than teachers, imho.

I will agree with you there. Reading to your young children and limiting TV is the best thing you can do for kids.

Parents are dropping the ball far more than teachers for a couple of reasons. Both parents are working and they are just plain tired. Second "Political Correctness" has warped how parents view discipline and therefore makes life difficult for the teachers and parents as the kids try to find their "Limits"

Sort of like training a mule, first you have to hit him over the head to get his attention.....

Actually mules are very smart and very sensitive and I MUCH rather train a mule.....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SDStar643

Looks like nine and a half months to me.

Teachers are entitled to weekends off, too, I think, same as you.

Let's not deliberately distort things, shall we?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by backwherewestarted

They always seem to want to take credit for the good, successful students and better test scores.

They seem to be responsible for the good but want no responsibility for the bad.

You can't have it both ways.

How about answering my question instead instead of posting a cliche? Perhaps a comment about my comment as well? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

What puzzles me is you blame unions for this. Not the government who betrayed us, and the wealthy elite who paid them to betray us.

No I do not blame the Unions (except that they supported Clinton) What I am trying to say is the ratification of the World Trade Organization Treaty not only cost America 20 percent of its manufacturing jobs in just 14 years, it also wiped out the power of American Unions.

Unions just plain can not hold a gun to the head of a company and make demands any more because the company laughs and heads towards greener pastures.

Heck look what happen to truck drivers. Opening the border to trucks was a key part of the North American Free Trade Agreement inked in 1994.... Under the trade pact, certified Mexican trucks can carry loads anywhere in the United States but can pick up loads only if they are bound for Mexico.

I have a $40,000 semi I just sold to a Mexican for $5,000 because I was losing my shirt! The difference in fuel costs alone wiped out the trucking in the Southwest. Mexican fleets also want to freeze diesel prices at 5.44 pesos per liter (approximately $1.34 per gallon) 2009

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I DID answer your question. I constantly hear from teachers and their supporters how great a job they do by looking at the successful students. They WANT to take credit for the good but not the bad.

Seems kind of phony to me.

By the way, what comment am I supposed to comment on?
edit on 20-2-2011 by Common Scarecrow because: Added text

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join