It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100,000+ Salaries for School Teachers?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You people piss me off.

First, I plan on becoming a teacher, so I know a portion of the program plan

Secondly, none of you really understand because you have no passion in teaching. Perhaps a degree in Bitching for you instead. LOL

A few clear ups.

After Bachelor degree in teaching (IN MICHIGAN) wages are around 40,000$ a year.
Masters degree (IN MICHIGAN) is about 90,000$+ a year.

Here is the kicker, I have never made anything higher than 20,000 here in Michigan. Tough place to work at.

Here is some information you do not know about teaching, You are require to take additional classes after about 5 years. You get a teaching certificate and it will expire, eventually. Which will cost you another 20+ credits, around 20,000$ additional for more schooling. Teaching nowadays means that you will be in school for the rest of your life. Tough job.

Thirdly, it is not the teachers fault for educating you kids wrong, its the educational system. We have not had a major "SUPERMAN" to create a new way of teaching. Thus saying, I am going to try to expand the thinking process of children, I want them to question everything. I want it to be a pseudo philosophy way of teaching.

edit on 20-2-2011 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
double post

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
I have 2 realitives that went into teaching about 6 years ago in Michigan. They are both making over $65k a year and whining about having to put in 7 hour days. They would be part time employees in any other business.

They get 3 months off a year, full benefits and then full pension, unfortunately this will not last especially when there is so many in the private sector not making that kind of money.

Just ask yourself this question. How many jobs can you think of or ever worked at pay 50k plus a year and you get 3 months of a year? Now double the salary

If any teacher makes this kind of money they need to work like everyone else, all year round teaching summer school, and get a few weeks off a year, not a few months.

edit on 20-2-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by backwherewestarted
Apacheman- Don't bother with macman, he is not here for intelligent discussion, here is here to attack and insult anyone who does not share his opinions and close his eyes and ears to facts. It also speaks volumes that he did not get what you were doing when you posted your last post about his job.

Oh no, I get it. I'm a lowly phone guy who should not get paid more then a teacher, because I don't teach the youth.
I got it.
The fact that I disagree with you and him does not then place me in default no intelligent discussion.
Teachers should not cry foul. They are paid by the tax payer. The tax payer has spoken and they are pissed.

Fact is, the money is gone. Spent on crap. Time to suck it up and stop crying.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
[
They get 3 months off a year, full benefits and then full pension, unfortunately this will not last especially when there is so many in the private sector not making that kind of money.

Just ask yourself this question. How many jobs can you think of or ever worked at pay 50k plus a year and you get 3 months of a year, now double the salary.

If any teach makes this kind of money they need to work like everyone else, all year round teaching summer school, and get a few weeks off a year, not a few months.

They are required to go to school during the summer nowadays because of the bush plan to go to school in the summer time. Or their teaching certificate expires.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
You people piss me off.

First, I plan on becoming a teacher, so I know a portion of the program plan

Secondly, none of you really understand because you have no passion in teaching. Perhaps a degree in Bitching for you instead. LOL

A few clear ups.

After Bachelor degree in teaching (IN MICHIGAN) wages are around 40,000$ a year.
Masters degree (IN MICHIGAN) is about 90,000$+ a year.

Here is the kicker, I have never made anything higher than 20,000 here in Michigan. Tough place to work at.

Here is some information you do not know about teaching, You are require to take additional classes after about 5 years. You get a teaching certificate and it will expire, eventually. Which will cost you another 20+ credits, around 20,000$ additional for more schooling. Teaching nowadays means that you will be in school for the rest of your life. Tough job.

Thirdly, it is not the teachers fault for educating you kids wrong, its the educational system. We have not had a major "SUPERMAN" to create a new way of teaching. Thus saying, I am going to try to expand the thinking process of children, I want them to question everything. I want it to be a pseudo philosophy way of teaching.

That's great to hear. Passion does not equal pay.
If you have a passion for teaching, then pursue it. Do what you love.
My whole thing is don't complain about the pay. You know what you are getting into.
Michigan is a bad state to be in now. The State Govt has been run into the ground. I am sorry to hear that. It sucks.
Good luck. I wish you well.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

You arent wrong, that kind of value skimming is horrible for the economy. But "businesses" come in many shapes and forms.

Some "businesses" are single mothers who babysit for other people in their homes. Some businesses are family farms. You in essence are a business and your labor is your product. There are sole proprietorships, various forms of partnerships, and then up to the larger forms, like corporations.

The smaller and more numerous the businesses are, the better the economy. "Too big to fail" behemoths are horrible for the economy. The problem seems to be that people seem to mistake the idea that businesses are good for the economy to mean what is good for multinational megacorporations is good for the economy and nothing could be further from the truth.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The pay is great when you have three months off. let us not forget the pay for a master degree. I am not complaining. Much to bitch about (going to school forever). It is what it is.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

They are required to go to school during the summer nowadays because of the bush plan to go to school in the summer time. Or their teaching certificate expires.

Not go to school, teach school.

If anyone else works, then they take what is called night classes.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by macman

Why should you make more than a teacher?

I never really said I should make more then a teacher.
I am just tired of hearing teachers whine about having to cutback. They should not be exempt, especially being Govt employees and the pockets are empty.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
here's a silly idea that I'm sure I will get BBQ'd for. Trade in a few MOP bunker buster bombs and spread the wealth, I'm sure you can get a few million bucks for those, you aren't going to use em on Iran anyway, or are you?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

No, go to school. I mean enroll in college. They must take college courses before their teaching certificate expires every 5 years or they lose their job.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

You got screwed then.

The district that I work for, the STARTING pay is $35,000, and the district pays for any additional classes you need. They even pre-hire you as a paraprofessional until you pass your certification test (they give you two years to do it).

Summer school is voluntary, but if you do it, you get a stipend ($3,000-$5,000), same as coaching a sport for three months.

Minimum amount of work time is 9 hours a day (including hour lunch), 214 days a year.

And that is because I live and work in one of the poorest places in the United States.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

No, go to school. I mean enroll in college. They must take college courses before their teaching certificate expires every 5 years or they lose their job.

Well, sounds like par for the course.
I gotta take re-cert classes and tests ever 2-3 years.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

It's still a sit-on-your-ass job no matter how many miles of cable you monitor from your desk.

I spent 7 years in the USAF, been a shrimper, worked for years as a construction electrician, owned and ran two small businesses, headed a fire/burglar alarm installation crew, and been a small farmer....among other things.

I know hard work from sit-on-your-ass jobs. You spend your days in comfortable air-conditioning more often than not. You also get overtime pay, which teachers don't, so the length of your workday is rewarded by extra pay, so it's entirely up to you how long you want to work, and you're well rewarded for extra effort.

Teachers are expected to put in the extra effort on every level, but the only reward they are offered is the warm and fuzzy feeling of doing good work.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by Jordan River

You got screwed then.

The district that I work for, the STARTING pay is $35,000, and the district pays for any additional classes you need. They even pre-hire you as a paraprofessional until you pass your certification test (they give you two years to do it).

Summer school is voluntary, but if you do it, you get a stipend ($3,000-$5,000), same as coaching a sport for three months.

Minimum amount of work time is 9 hours a day (including hour lunch), 214 days a year.

And that is because I live and work in one of the poorest places in the United States.

Screwed no, I do not even have my Bachelors as of yet, I will worry about those issues down the line. I do not know everything, only what I need to do now. It is good to hear that my theory that the district pays additional classes panned out, I was hoping on that. thx

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

And 3 months off every year.

And good insurance.

And good retirement.

and . . .

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Nothing to bitch about, if you like learning then go to school. Master D's make the big bucks and even after that why not go for more school? you might as well. Or be a Liberian now there's an easy job.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Its like in the old days when the masters pitted the house slaves, the field slaves and the white trash against one another. Its just a way to keep the people who should be ganging up and fighting on the same side against the people exploiting them fighting one another instead. Its the oldest trick in the book.

Let me try again.

Unions worked fine sixty years ago but the rules of the game have changed. Thanks to the World Trade Organization's "free Market" we as labor are DIRECTLY competing against BETTER TRAINED labor in China and India. Also the cost of doing business due to EPA, OSHA and other regulations is very high. If a union gives a corporation trouble they leave the country. It happened to me fifteen years ago just after the ratification of WTO. The Union would not take the Corporation's ultimatum so the plant was relocated south.

Unions now longer have any leverage period. because the USA no longer has the best trained work force in the world. We rank next to the bottom these days and the corporations know it.

... Surveys ofcorporations consistently find that businesses are focused outside • the U.S. to recruit necessary talent. In a 2002 survey, 16 global corporations complained that American schools did not produce students with global skills. United States companies agreed. The survey found that 30 percent of large U.S. companies “believed they had failed to exploit fully their international business opportunities due to insufficient personnel with international skills.” One respondent to the survey even noted, “If I wanted to recruit people who are both technically skilled and culturally aware, I wouldn’t even waste time looking for them on U.S. college campuses.” www.edreform.com...

"For 10 years, William Schmidt, a statistics professor at Michigan State University, has looked at how U.S. students stack up against students in other countries in math and science. "In fourth-grade, we start out pretty well, near the top of the distribution among countries; by eighth-grade, we're around average, and by 12th-grade, we're at the bottom of the heap, outperforming only two countries, Cyprus and South Africa."
:Source

Is it any wonder Corporations now import workers from other countries or give up and leave the country entirely?

AND YOU want me to REWARD the teachers that turn out this under educated work force????

You are very luckly the general population does not realize how teachers have screw Americans or you would REALLY see some protests.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dl2one

Oh yes we are planning to use those in Iran. What do you think the sudden urgent need for "democracy" in that region is? They wealthy elite are setting up the chess pieces for their next big power grab in the region.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join