It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100,000+ Salaries for School Teachers?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
Really buddy second grade teachers have a hard time coming up with lesson plans. Lets be real here your mom is a glorified baby sitter at best my aunt makes 90 grand doing the same thing because she learned to work the system. First off its not an 8 hour day second you get the summer off and every holiday known to man. Plus they almost never work weekends! Not only that they have piss poor results to boot. Let me guess your mom got tenure and then got her masters bang 90 grand for life teaching kids how to spell 4 letter words and do basic math. While i will have to work for the next 10 years to get to 80 grand in the information security field and if one person get's a virus or the system goes down its my job. Then if i get my masters i might get up to 110 maybe but its wishful thinking and at anytime i could lose my job. Plus i will have to study all the time just to keep up with the tech coming out. But no your mom and her basic education masters should get 90 grand a year even if she is only teaching 7 year old's how to barely read and write.

While i agree that teachers who look after the young children don't deserve high pay, the teachers looking after older kids do deserve it.

However that isn't the reason i am replying to you. What confuses me is that you lament the fact teachers get high pay, point out how easy the job is and point out you are well educated but don't get as much. Surely the logical thing would be to retrain quickly and start teaching if it's so easy and they get such good pay. So why don't you?

As for the hours worked well i'm sorry but that's a load of rubbish and you have no clue what you are talking about. They don't get summers off because those summers are usually filled with further training, planning the lessons for when the kids come back and a ton of stuff inbetween. I know some teachers and they get really annoyed when people make comments about them having summer off because they're kind of busy.

As someone else pointed out teachers don't work 8 hour days either. They usually get to the school 1-2 hours earlier than the first lesson, when the day is done they have marking to do and the next days lesson to plan. From what i've been told by friends this can easily add up to 12-14 hours some days.

This doesn't include dealing with angry parents and abusive kids.
After about 4 years the lesson plans level out there is no reason to figure out more unless they change something which they only do everyonce in a while. I dont want to be a teacher because i know that the schools fire you before you can get tenure now as a way to keep costs down. My cousin had this happen to her right before she got her masters degree. The job isnt based on how well you teach but how well you can handle politics and larger classrooms. As for your little rant on hours i see you are not from the USA and maybe you are right about that in the uk but not here. Most teachers show up about an hour early which is normal for anybody i do it at my work so im always on time and they can use bubble sheet tests to cut down on grading. Grading english is easy all they do is scan the paper then run spell check. Math they have a cheat sheet with the answers it takes about 30 minutes to get though about 20 papers. So thats about 2 classes a total of 40 minutes grading. For other classes they have grading software all you have to do is scan the paper and it shows you what they missed. If in fact they are spending 4-6 hours grading papers then they are working to hard and not thinking. dont believe me heres the website it cost 48 bucks. Lesson plans dont take that long for the next day as most teachers read straight from the teachers book and the book has lesson plans in it. www.easygradepro.com... It would seem your friends are lying to your face about how much time they truly spend grading papers and the time they spend on lesson plans.Are you really asking me why dont I screw everyone by doing the same thing? Why dont i pretend i got hurt on the job so i can collect disability or try and get fired so i can do nothing and collect welfare for 2 years! Simple answer is thats why our country is in such bad shape because people abuse the system and i dont believe screwing the tax payers is a good thing.
edit on 22-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

After about 4 years the lesson plans level out there is no reason to figure out more unless they change something which they only do everyonce in a while.

That's not what i have heard from teachers, they often update their lesson plans depending upon any number of factors, including new information, whether a class is responding to the way it's being taught, new teaching methods blah blah etc.

I dont want to be a teacher because i know that the schools fire you before you can get tenure now as a way to keep costs down. My cousin had this happen to her right before she got her masters degree. The job isnt based on how well you teach but how well you can handle politics and larger classrooms.

But if it's such a great and well paying job you could just get another one!

As for your little rant on hours i see you are not from the USA and maybe you are right about that in the uk but not here. Most teachers show up about an hour early and they can use bubble sheet tests to cut down on grading. Grading english is easy all they do is scan the paper then run spell check. Math they have a cheat sheet with the answers it takes about 30 minutes to get though about 20 papers. So thats about 2 classes a total of 40 minutes grading. For other classes they have grading software all you have to do is scan the paper and it shows you what they missed. If in fact they are spending 4-6 hours grading papers then they are working to hard and not thinking. dont believe me heres the website it cost 48 bucks www.easygradepro.com...

As you say i'm not from the states and it just so happens when american kids move from american schools to English ones they often get a shock as the English kids tend to be further along. However i think you are oversimplyfing things.

But in the end you have shown your hand, you have said teaching is a well paid and easy job, the reasons you give for not being a teacher are rubbish because you could easily get another job before losing tenure. Sorry but if i had access to a job that was as easy as you describe while being well paying then i would be right in there, who wouldn't?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by intelinside451

Methinks, good sir, you have it backwards.

Maybe pro-ball players, politicians, musicians, actors and corporate CEOs are overpaid. The fact that some teachers are compensated well, retire at a reasonable age and are treated well by their employer (the state) should be a reason for us fellow workers to cheer them on and demand better of their our employers. Not for us workers to demean them and hope that they are treated as poorly as most of us are. How about everyone unionize all over the planet and knock the billionaire "gods" off of their thrones.

100k sounds like good, honest pay for a full-time-plus, hard worker in 2011. Imagine we all had jobs where one family member could work and the other stay home to care for the children without being on welfare. Gosh, that would be like 50's capitalism! Terrible.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

After about 4 years the lesson plans level out there is no reason to figure out more unless they change something which they only do everyonce in a while.

That's not what i have heard from teachers, they often update their lesson plans depending upon any number of factors, including new information, whether a class is responding to the way it's being taught, new teaching methods blah blah etc.

I dont want to be a teacher because i know that the schools fire you before you can get tenure now as a way to keep costs down. My cousin had this happen to her right before she got her masters degree. The job isnt based on how well you teach but how well you can handle politics and larger classrooms.

But if it's such a great and well paying job you could just get another one!

As for your little rant on hours i see you are not from the USA and maybe you are right about that in the uk but not here. Most teachers show up about an hour early and they can use bubble sheet tests to cut down on grading. Grading english is easy all they do is scan the paper then run spell check. Math they have a cheat sheet with the answers it takes about 30 minutes to get though about 20 papers. So thats about 2 classes a total of 40 minutes grading. For other classes they have grading software all you have to do is scan the paper and it shows you what they missed. If in fact they are spending 4-6 hours grading papers then they are working to hard and not thinking. dont believe me heres the website it cost 48 bucks www.easygradepro.com...

As you say i'm not from the states and it just so happens when american kids move from american schools to English ones they often get a shock as the English kids tend to be further along. However i think you are oversimplyfing things.

But in the end you have shown your hand, you have said teaching is a well paid and easy job, the reasons you give for not being a teacher are rubbish because you could easily get another job before losing tenure. Sorry but if i had access to a job that was as easy as you describe while being well paying then i would be right in there, who wouldn't?
LOL there are some schools here in america where if your english students came here they would be behind. But yeah public schools your dead on. And thats what we are talking about. 90 grand for a public school teacher buddy who have piss poor results. And you only have a year once you have been denied tenure to find another full time job yet again your from the uk and dont know most teacher here are not handed full time teaching jobs they have to work as subs and hope someone leaves. If you dont have a clue about the American teaching system then why do you act like you do? So in your mind you think its ok if people abuse the system when its coming out of everyones tax money! Please stay in the UK we have enough people here who are screwing the system. Yes i would love to be a 100k baby sitter if our country wasnt going down the toilet ecomnically but people like you dont understand that when our country cant pay we all go in debt because they borrow money so the prices of everything go's up in turn they are screwing every buddy. I get paid by the privet sector which means im not being paid by the government and im paid based on my results. If the teacher here got paid on their results we would see a big drop in how many people want to be teachers.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

LOL there are some schools here in america where if your english students came here they would be behind.

Private schools you mean, well we also have private schools, comparing them you would probably find they're about equal, but we were talking about state schools so lets stick to those

But yeah public schools your dead on. And thats what we are talking about. 90 grand for a public school teacher buddy who have piss poor results. And you only have a year once you have been denied tenure to find another full time job yet again your from the uk and dont know most teacher here are not handed full time teaching jobs they have to work as subs and hope someone leaves. If you dont have a clue about the American teaching system then why do you act like you do?

This is an odd statement, i have been talking about my education system from the beginning and i have stated i know little about the american version, well apart from the official statistics i read. However others in this thread are american and are even involved in teaching and they have themselves given you an overview of the daily work of a teacher. It doesn't sound as easy as you make out.

So in your mind you think its ok if people abuse the system when its coming out of everyones tax money!

When did i ever say that?

Please stay in the UK we have enough people here who are screwing the system.

As do we and i dislike anyone who screws the system, please argue with my points instead of making up things and claiming they are things i believe.

Yes i would love to be a 100k baby sitter if our country wasnt going down the toilet ecomnically but people like you dont understand that when our country cant pay we all go in debt because they borrow money so the prices of everything go's up in turn they are screwing every buddy. I get paid by the privet sector which means im not being paid by the government and im paid based on my results. If the teacher here got paid on their results we would see a big drop in how many people want to be teachers.

Sorry but you still haven't given a good reason why you wouldn't want to be paid 100k a year and have lots of nice holidays that you claim teachers get. I somehow doubt it's a moral reason about screwing the system, more about being unable or simply not believing your own rhetoric.

Stop watching fox news

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

when our country cant pay we all go in debt because they borrow money so the prices of everything go's up

Should be a new topic /nods

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Teachers are definitely underpaid.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by intelinside451

Maciver Institute is a puppet organization set up by the Koch brothers....
All lies...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Teachers are by far one of the most under payed/ under appreciated proffesions. After all theyre teaching future doctors, scientists, etc.. I think they deserve higher salaries. Just saying. : )

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
*paid

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
reply to post by backwherewestarted

do i get to pick the day i walk in their shoes? if so i would pick july2nd.

Typical unintelligent response from someone trying to argue about something they have no clue about because they are too lazy to get the facts.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
$100k a year, damn should have moved there. Wife makes $48k in mass and holds 2 masters degrees and is working on her Doctorate.She has to obtain 15 college credits anually to maintaIn her licensure. We paid $30k a year for her education and its going on 8 years, thats out of pocket and we are by no means wealthy people. Honestly I feel the teachers would make a hell of alot more money if the Government wasnt involved but it would then become a private institution and most working/lower class wouldnt be going because they couldnt afford to. Unfortunatly the Government also controls what will be tought in schools (No child left behind)through federal aid to school districts and the state also controls the teachers ciriculum (MCAS). Dont teach to our standards? Then get your own money. Teaching is pretty damn important, yes its not as dangerous as being in a combat situation (Gulf War Vet) but its just as critical in the future of this country. Yes the criculum sucks but its what they have to do to make ends meet. I say be carefull what you wish for because you will be paying 10k a year for your kids to go to grade school,20K a year for police and fire response and the government and its financial backers would love that.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Camperguy because: anually added

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
redirect and distribute money given to the military to elsewhere and no one's complaining

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Those dang-gone teachers. We don't need to schoolin! Books is full of commie lies! Spend our money on WAR! Not on paying people to educate the workforce of tomorrow. Education just makes people think they should question working in a factory 18 hours a day, and we all know that's a communist plot to destroy our economy, which is Freedom!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
First of all, nobody is "overpaid". People make what they make. Just because someone makes more money than you (usually due to hgher education) that does not make them overpaid in any way.

Second, teachers deserve every penny they make. I wouldn't want to put up with your bratty ared kids for anything less than 100k a year unless I had free rein to discipline!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanterZ

i say fire them all and hire the ones who want to work bunch of lazy bastards over payed and not doing their job this goes for your mom also have a nice day

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The good teachers are underpaid, and the bad ones are overpaid. Unfortunately with teachers union rules, you cant just make the differentiation.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Are you sick of highly paid teachers?
Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.
However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
LET'S SEE....
That's $585 X 180= $105,300
per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special
education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an
hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.
Wait a minute -- there's
something wrong here! There sure is!
The average teacher's salary
(nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days
= $277.77/per day/30
students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Bill

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Camperguy

So your theory is that teachers should get paid less because schools are overcrowded, and you dont care if children are educated, as long as they are baby sat while mom and dad drone away at the office?

Edit: my apologies. My sarcasm radar is defective. Damn Microsoft. Hop it didnt screw up my gaydar too.
edit on 25-2-2011 by inkyminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by firepilot
The good teachers are underpaid, and the bad ones are overpaid. Unfortunately with teachers union rules, you cant just make the differentiation.

And, unfortunately for people like Walker, 'teacher's unions' also prevent people like Walker from fring them for any ol reason.

Also, you ARE aware this is about FAR more than just 'teacher's' unions?

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join