It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100,000+ Salaries for School Teachers?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

The issue is that while celebs make huge sums for really little work I can stop watching there movies if I don't like it, but there pay is between them and the studios.

Public sector employees are paid out of my taxes hence why I do have a say.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'm a third year teacher. I make around $36,000 a year. No teachers in my school district make near $100K. The only one who makes that kind of money is our superintendent. However he does have several people working at Central Office who make $80,000 a year and don't have an official job title. Go figure!!! It is required that all teacher's have a Master Degree within 10 years. Most of the programs that will allow you to make over 60K require a Master's and a Rank 1, which is X number of hours past a Master's. A teacher will onlly make over 60K with this degree and 25+ years of experience. So please don't think that all teachers are being overpaid.

A note for all the people who are claiming teachers to be glorified baby sitters with pay, consider this: How much does babysitting pay an hour? How about babysitting and education together?

If a teacher has only 20 students in their classroom, keeps them for 6 hours a day,5 days a week, and only works 185 days a year; then each parent pays $5.00 per hour per child, then that teacher would make $111,000 a year. All my students are at, or above the state benchmark set for test scores. So I would say my parents are getting a bargain at $36,000 a year for my salary from taxpayer and district money.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by intelinside451

After seeing what my fiancée has to endure with children that have no discipline, and have more rights than the teachers I think $100k is cheap. If you are against it start at home teaching your children respect, and not to bring guns, drugs and other contraband to school.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz
reply to post by Evanzsayz

AS POSTED PREVIOUSLY - WHICH I AM YET TO SEE SOMEONE DISPUTE:

This article is biased - they are saying how much the average teacher earns + benefit's but they make no comparisson to other professions and they do not consider how many years the teacher has spent in training, and on the job, or the number of hours they put in to their work - when convincing you they are paid too much.

I looked it up the average starting wage in Wisconsin is 32k per year for teachers. Teachers can start teaching with a 2 year teaching certificate or with a degree (in pretty much anything) as long as they took some teaching course on the side. Other states (and Canadian Provinces) run the gambit of 6 month teachers certificate all the way up to 6+ years of post secondary training. Alberta Canada is one of the toughest to get into with teachers having a 4 year degree before doing a 2 year masters in teaching, the initial degree is usually in english, math or science sometimes health or physical ed, kindergarden teachers may have theres in early childhood development.

Teachers work hard - they not only baby the rotten kid's of the modern age, they have to spend their days teaching lessons and the nights preparing them - they do not get paid for all the prep they often have to do. Teachers also have to stay late and on weekends at times for meetings etc

I dispute this, teachers get paid for the summer vacation in Wis. and post other states/provinces. So while they may work longer hours 50ish hours a week they get about 15 weeks of holidays a year which is way above the private average of 3 weeks a year.

Teachers often stay in their jobs for many years - if you compared it to people staying with companies for the same time I bet they would earn close to the same if they stayed in the one job. This article would make you think teachers start on $100,000

This used to be true the statistics now are that the best and brightest leave education after 10-15 years. If you look at the statistics teachers make more on the benefits side than most people, on average the cost to provide benefits to a worker is estimated for budget purposes as 50% of the annual wage of the employee (this usually includes a 3% matching pension 401 or equivalent plus helath etc.). So the 100% that teachers cost seems really high but with out knowing exactly what is included in that I can't say for sure, I suspect it's there full pension that is pushing it so high.

The article is biased but also does bring up some good points. With a little research you can find that there starting wages are about average for someone with 4 years of post secondary but the extended holiday is paid. Gone are the days when teachers had unpaid sumemrs and took up a sumemr job to make ends meet. The pension is what we in the private sector call gold plated.

But of corse the inner child in everyone hold's a grudge against teachers - you accept that they are overpaid even though this article did not even provide the information required to draw a well researched conclusion - but the fact you can't do that is probably also the teachers fault - right?

This article also mentions declining grades as if they are the teachers fault - as if lack of disapline at home, kid's eating junk because parents throw money at them for lunch, lack of punishment a teacher can hand out don't have anything to do with it.

This world works on supply and demand - if you do not pay teacher's what they are worth they go somewhere that will, and then your kid's just end up with babysitters. You want them to have a good education you pay for it.
If teaching is so glamorous why are there not more teachers? Lower their pay - see what happens! they will go to countries that pay them what they deserve.

The fact is that teachers for the most part are paid better than private sector workers and the ones who used to do it for the love of teaching and whose students learned are leaving the profession because of the BS (some union some other sources), what we are left with are the ones who just want to collect a pay check and whose students suffer for it. I have no idea how Wisconsin decides corriculim but where I live it's set by a committee of the union members and as such the quality of education is being lowered to the lowest common denominator. No longer are children encouraged to read and grow they are being chained to hold them back. One of my children is in grade 2 and reads at a grade 6 level. The teacher called us in to tell us to limit her reading because she was so advanced that it was hurting the feelings of her classmates who were still reading below grade 2 level. So the advanced kid is held back to help the feelings of the kids who need extra help? Where does that make sense? It's unfortunately the way schools are going and it's directly tied to the unions and there goals.

Sources
www.teachersalaryinfo.com...
www.teachingtips.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

You are an amazing troll! This is just BS!

I guess you are just pissed that corporate America has you under their thumb and cut your wages as their profits rise. I find it amazing is that also buried deep in the bill Walker is selling off state utilities and other power grabbing for corporate America who will raise all your prices.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Let's talk real numbers here. If anyone wants to add to this or try to subtract be my guest.

The Average Teacher contract is 180-190 working days.

Average employees with 2 weeks off and holidays off work roughly 240 days a year. "Let's leave out the bs about extra effort, we know all occupations require extra time put in each week to be successful at your job"

That's roughly 3 months of extra time off for teachers.

Anyone have any pensions numbers? Last I heard they can retire after 30 years of work with around 80% pay and a 3% annual increase for inflation adjustment. *I wish my 401k looked that appealing*

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

You are an amazing troll! This is just BS!

I guess you are just pissed that corporate America has you under their thumb and cut your wages as their profits rise. I find it amazing is that also buried deep in the bill Walker is selling off state utilities and other power grabbing for corporate America who will raise all your prices.

Why don't you ask Indianapolis if privatization worked for them?

video.foxbusiness.com...

Privatizing public operations saves a lot money. Private business creates competition, competition lowers prices, lower prices create more money for people to spend on other businesses thus creating more jobs. Should I keep going?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Your thread title is a LIE.

There is a huge difference between SALARY and COMPENSATION. Were you being deliberately misleading, or are you just anxious to bash teachers?

The video states that the average teachers salary is $56.500, not $100,000 plus.

To go in the sequence of the video:

The average per capita income in 2006-2008, note here that he is comparing data from 3 years ago to present time, in Milwaukee was $19,092. Further note that by placing a per capita (single person, including not just earners but everyone figure first, it sticks more in the viewer's mid when compared to 100K. This is a shift in comparison designed to confuse the issue. To be a proper comparison, you'd need to divide the total of teacher salaries by the number of pepole in teachers families. For instance a married teacher with a spouse and two children would have a per capita income of $14,105, so the teachers are actually making less per capita than the average.

Thank you - I kept reading to see who would point out that teachers in Wisconsin DO NOT MAKE 100,000k a year. How ridiculous! The teachers that are making 50+ a year have been doing the job for a long time, and who does not deserve a raise??

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

But todays 'schooling' does not produce a quality product (man/woman) from good ingredients either. Ask most businesses who they would rather hire a retiree who needs extra money to make it on the niggardly government stipend called social security or the slackers graduating from the warehouses called schools.
Health costs included the elder is the better person to have. while they may not have the 'education' they have wisdom. They can solve problems not just fill in a multiple choice bubble.

Life is not multiple choice and if that is all the students are taught you have produced a poor product regardless of what you are being paid. Could you convince the parents of the students you are teaching that the education you are providing to their precious little one is worth 36K per year per child? .

Public employees (teachers included) do not as a general rule have marketable skills out side of the public sector so I would cool the tantrum if I were you. Suppose you taught Art/psychology/social studies/etc any of the fluff classes they push so hard nowadays to water down the curricula. Just suppose that you had to actually get a real job, outside of the public sector? The private sector doesn't want to hire you- You have such an entitlement mindset you are too much of a pain in the ass to bother with and the skills possess are not that much in demand.

So you say you work hard - Compared to what? Try a stint in any private sector job for a wake up call.

You're not that good and the rest of us know it and resent being milked like cows.

So your pension fund tanked because you gambled with it in derivatives and other Madoff like funds. What gives you the right to hold your hand out to the private sector and say I was irresponsible with my future but you still owe me a better retirement and health care than you have, you in the public sector will just have to get by on less because my union promised me.

edit on 21-2-2011 by ..5.. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Thank you for a well informed reply supporting your point of view. Star for that.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
I don't think most people are saying to bring down their level of compensation.
I, for one am just tired of all the whining and crying when they are asked to cut back.

Oh yes, it must be so hard for you. I'm sorry you have to suffer through dealing with such an annoyance.

Honestly, what is with this conspiracy against teachers? You know, they really got you guys bent over backwards when you spend more time worrying about how much a small demographic of teachers earn in Wisconsin, rather than being concerned about plutocrats and sociopaths raping the economy.

This is just stupid. You people need to open your damn eyes.
edit on 22-2-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ClearlyAwake
reply to post by AntiNWO

I'm not worried and I've done just fine in the private sector thank you very much. Private would not be under Government regulated control...that would defeat the purpose you seek, would it not?

You're not getting it at all. No, I do NOT want the schools under the Federal Government's control. It's not the place of the Feds to dictate to the states how their educational systems should be run. I want education to be put back into the hands on the parents, and no one else, with one stipulation - parents need to know where every dollar is going. One town I lived in had public meetings every 6 months to vote to raise taxes "for the schools", but would never tell us what they were spending the money on. They held these "public meetings" on a weekday, around 2:30 PM, when only teachers could attend, so naturally the votes passed every time. It was a well-run scam by the teachers and politicians. After 13 years there my taxes more than TRIPLED and I had to sell my home and move.

But seeing as the Feds are involved and are not going to ever give up that power, then if they really want to create a WORKING system (which is the opposite of what they want), let private industry do the job for them. I used the Post Office as an example of government mismanagement, but you can take any government-run agency at all - DES, DMV, DSS, you name it, and see the same results - an uncaring, expensive, inefficient web of overpaid, unskilled bureaucrats. There is just no denying that, and that's our current education system. Add to that the constant demands placed on the system by selfish, whiny, over-compensated teachers, who protect the worst of the worst, and you have a real disaster that is doomed to collapse under it's own weight.

Yes, they can and do remove students for resons they see fit. They get money for their students like public schools, but still make their kids pay for things. So, no money would be saved by tax payers. In fact, tax payers would be paying for the private education of those who could afford it and any public education left would sink further into inequality.

I already addressed this in my last comment

What is needed is for education to stop being funded by Federal Government and for it to be returned to the control of the communities that want their children educated. Even at state level, you'd get more competition because people who cared even a little would try to live in states with a good education system. No Child Left Behind (Race to the Top) is all junk that doesn't produce anything except uniform failure.

On these points we totally agree, but these changes would be for naught if the unions continue to hold the states hostage for continuation of their outrageous demands.

Standardized tests don't prove who is doing good and who isn't...they only show how good someone is at teaching to those tests or cheating on them to boost test scores.

If standardized testing is so easy to "cheat" on, then why are teachers so terrified of them? Why not just accept them and make yourselves look good? I highly doubt that it's that simple or there wouldn't be such opposition. I also think that inept teachers would find it difficult to teach the standardized tests, and that's why the opposition.

When these private schools only except the best, hard working students they can get their hands on, of course they are going to "do better."

Again, I addressed this already, and I'll add this: They are much more innovative in dealing with students, and therefore would eliminate the boredom that's so rampant in public school classes.

Public school classrooms take all students no matter what the ability level, behavioral problem, or work ethic in general and the teachers do their best to educate them. Sad thing is, what is being taught is being dumbed down as well as red tape and tons of paperwork being heaped on to teachers. Students are not getting the teaching down they use to and that would change a lot if the Federal Government wasn't in education matters.

Once again, private schools would also take them because it would be a requirement. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. And again, they would deal with them much more creatively. Some kids are so troubled that they wouldn't make it in ANY school system, but that's already happening, and nothing will change that.

Feel how you like about it all, but in the end we are all losing the same fight. What you seem to want won't make things better, period.

I disagree.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SDStar643

Sophistry doesn't change the calendar: teachers work 5-day weeks, from September to June. Nice try, but the calendar works the same for everyone I think.

Count with me:

September...1 month
October.......2 months
November....3 months
December....4 months

Still with me? Not going too fast for you?

January.......5 months
February......6 months
March..........7 months
April.............8 months
May.............9 months
June............10 months, but really, (careful now; it gets a little complicated here, but I have confidence you'll get be able to get it eventually , just keep trying) but since it is only two weeks ( a week is part of a month, 4 weeks or so to a month) it works out to 9 and a half months.

There, you see: not too complicated for you is it?

Count with me: 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and a half!

See?

There, I knew you could do it and I'm soooo proud of you.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I knew few teachers in high school that deserved over 100k, and most of them I recall living paycheck to paycheck and losing their homes.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

That is not three months of "extra time off", it is three months of joblessness.

And not every job carries the same level of extra effort required of teachers.

A retail clerk leaves work and doesn't spend the evening doing unpaid inventory, restocking, etc.

A cook doesn't leave the restuarant and spend the evening buying ingredients.

A factory worker leaves the factory at the end of the day and doesn't bring home parts to assemlbe.

So who are you talking about?

amanager who can't get the job done in an eight hour day either is a poor time manager, or has an inferior boss who fails to provide the proper staff. The idea that an employer has the right to demand an employee use their own time to further an employer's business interests without compensation is correct and acceptable is a mark of how selfish, self-centered, and careless of society the corporate and business class have become.

Time is a zero-sum game. You don't get it back once you use it, and once used to further someone else's interests, you cab't use it to raise your children, enjoy your spouse, or improve your life. The business community is like an addict, demanding the use of every last instant of their employee's time from waking to sleeping, and for what? Money? Why? Does an exec making a few million a year really need more? Why? Not a single practical reason I can think of. Nothing but pure ego satisfaction.

And please don't give me the drivel about "creating jobs".

Where are they?

If the corporate class was in the business of creating jobs, we'd all be fine, but it isn't. the goal of the corporate class is to reduce the number of jobs, available, not increase them: efficiency, don'tcha know?

The fact remains, teachers work harder than just about anyone else I know on more levels, certainly: they do physical labor, mental labor, creative work, and spiritual labor. They engage and interact with more personalities on a deeper level than anyone else, that alone is terribly draining. They daily exhibit more patience than any other segment of the society, far more than cops show, far more than doctors, far more than pretty much anyone.

What seems to be the undrlying complaint a lot of people have is this:

"You lazy, greedy teachers didn't raise our kids right!!!"

I lay this at the feet of the corporate/business class who have usurped the coumtry's dialogue and with overweening arrogance demanded that every effort of the country, every resource be bent for their sole benefit, and if others want a little too, they must first join their class: all others are merely employees to be fired at will.

Look: try raising your own kids properly and send them to school prepared, fed, clean, clothed, and unstressed, then spend at least an hour a day after school going over their homework with them, and half a dy on the weekends. Then if they still fail to learn anything in school, then you can blame the teachers.

You say your boss won't give you the time? Your job leaves you without enough energy?

Well, then go to yur boss and negotiate for better working conditions and throw him out of your house after work.

What, he'd fire you?

Go to your union then.

What, no union?

Then I guess you're screwed.

But don't blame the teachers for your screwed-up ignorant kids: teachers do the best they can with what you give them.

But I'm pretty sick and tired of the business community demanding every last second and every last dime goe to their interests without them returning crap except poor wages.

It is the corporate class represented by Walker that most fully shows the laziness, arrogance, greed and incompetence they accuse teachers of.

By the way, what's Walker's bennie package? Does he get a lifetime pension and golden medical for serving as governor for a couple of years? What does he contribute to it?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
There are some decent teachers. As in all government jobs though, the system is designed to promote and pay the good drones, not the good teachers.

Remember the teachers who thought it was alright to watch children in their bedrooms on their school lap tops?
They even thought candy was drugs and called the cops,
then defended their RIGHT to do this.
They settled out of court.

As Adam Zimmerman one time head of the biggest company in Canada said when asked if he had any regrets about quitting school at age three:
"I should have quit sooner":

Teachers seem to think they deserve special treatment while the rest of the nation is crumbling.
Oh really.
Its crumbling because the people teachers have taught for the most part, can't comprehend the real world.
Way to go teach.
blame the system
blame the parents
BLAME THE KIDS

Look in the mirror.
You (like all the teachers in my family who have to hire grade 3 to tie their own shoes) don't deserve what they get compared to the real world were the people do actual, even critical, but certainly real, work.

and from:
All the dyslexic folks who have been left to fend for them selves by the teachers who blame them....
to:
The teachers that blame them...
Get a real job.

PS
we had a 300 hundred pound lesbisn teaching girls Phys Ed...not just a teacher:
HEAD of the DEPT!
My god UNIONS SUCK

PS
how come home schoolers test way better then teacher taught children eh teach?

edit on 22-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Wisconsin may not be about salaries. After listening on the news this weekend to their gov, it hit me that what really could be at the center of this controversial power play is the teachers health insurance plan, a lucrative golden egg that insurance companies want to crack open and suck out "their" funds.

Apparently Wis teachers use their own (self-funded?) insurance program. Doing away with collective bargaining would crack open these monies, allowing insurance companies to gain access to the money. I have no doubt that once the insurance companies are allowed access, teachers would see a decline in health benefits, as money is siphoned off for corporate profit.

That's why the gov and his cronies want to end collective bargaining, as a way to allow insurance companies to raid the insurance money like pirates. Think they really want salary reduction? Hell no! Afterall, the insurance companies would rather have the teachers pay in more, so the insurance companies have more to take out. Gotta keep up their bottom line, which ain't about keeping people well.

reply to post by apacheman

Thank you for all your informative posts

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The blueberry story was closer to the truth but was twisted by the teacher. No blueberry starts out as inferior but is made so by poor handling much like a child. The businessman was right to have rejected the inferior blueberries and the workforce is right to reject the end result of what the schools are producing.

A teacher is only as good as their worst student.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
cnsnews.com...

2/3rds of students can't read proficiently! Sounds to me like 2/3rds of teachers should be canned....it also sounds to me like a major portion of ATSers are public school educated....

There is a pithy response in the comments I loved, "99% of teachers give teachers a bad name!" Lmao...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I posted a story not long ago on this subject, not so much teachers, but lost adults and lost children.

Here is a quote and the link. I would appreciate any feedback.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We see threads about children misbehaving in school, parents that don’t give a squat, teachers that have stopped caring, unauthorized military actions, out of control financial institutions, and authoritative figures that are giving up. We have depression at every age level, paranoia, anxiety, rampant crimes, drug and alcohol abuse, and masses of people that are just indifferent to things transpiring around them.

We ponder why the youth act the way they do, maybe it’s because they are a reflection of the adults in today’s world.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join