It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Public Worker Protests Spread From Wisconsin to Ohio

page: 3
13
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
State employees in colorado are becoming angered as well....huge pay cuts and addition of 5 extra years to retire as well as lay offs. Friends working for the state say they are planning protests




posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I say fire them all - in today's economy for every state worker who is unwilling to bend a little to ensure they continued viability of the state for whom they work there are 10 or more people who would love to get their job at the proposed pay level and benefit schedule.

Maybe not for teachers and police right away as there is some training and licensing issues but for the rank and file state workers they could be easily and quickly replaced.



posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
the only government employees that are overpaid and need to be fired are our elected officials, president included.

I much rather have my tax dollars goto education and teachers then to some rich, corporate puppet, dis-info artists, though I do think public sector unions should take hits on medical. if we can't have that rate with our own money why should they have they rate with our money.



posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

I say fire them all - in today's economy for every state worker who is unwilling to bend a little to ensure they continued viability of the state for whom they work there are 10 or more people who would love to get their job at the proposed pay level and benefit schedule.

Maybe not for teachers and police right away as there is some training and licensing issues but for the rank and file state workers they could be easily and quickly replaced.


I can just imagine the insanity as the top few who are left try and interview for ALL the state's positions. That would be amusing to watch, I think.

Better, let's join the Ethical Planetarian Party. Link in my sig.



posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Originally posted by flyingdog
Everyone's pissed off about something - problem is there's no unifying "rallying cry" yet. This whole situation is the likely catalyst, but it needs to be handled CAREFULLY if we expect to see positive change.


May I offer one?

Here is the foundation: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The platform is linked in my sig.

Here, here for the Ethical Planitarian Party.


It may be a good plan, but you have to realize that the generation that will make this happen are the same generation that came up with the "l33t speak" tl;dr.. I was born in 82 myself and know that even most of the people I grew up with are addicted to video games and reality TV. The "platform" to unite people and make this happen needs to be something that not only makes sense to those who are less educated than they should be (let's face it, the majority of the US populace is fairly dim), but also needs to be something that actually addresses the issues that people perceive in their ordinary lives.

Remember, we're talking about children - many can attest that most of Gen X is still infantile in mentality, never mind my generation. From my own peek into the mentality of the people on such sites as 4chan who are actually taking a strong interest in this, the majority would rather "blow stuff up" than hold a sign and peaceably protest.

I've proposed on numerous occasions that the winning rallying cry would be "debt forgiveness" - specifically for those with student loan debt. That covers a VERY large portion of the people between 25 and 40. With college grads attaining useless bachelors degrees by the thousands only to find themselves stocking shelves and flipping burgers, there's a strong support for the idea that our gov't screwed us by laying with the corporations who sent our jobs overseas. The growing support for Ron Paul, as "fringe" as he may seem, is a clear indication of this.

The truth is that everyone has their own individual reason to take to the streets and protest - until we find common ground in this country (you know, not the manufactured one that I'm sure TPTB have ready), nothing positive will come of any of it.



posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by flyingdog

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Originally posted by flyingdog
Everyone's pissed off about something - problem is there's no unifying "rallying cry" yet. This whole situation is the likely catalyst, but it needs to be handled CAREFULLY if we expect to see positive change.


May I offer one?

Here is the foundation: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The platform is linked in my sig.

Here, here for the Ethical Planitarian Party.


It may be a good plan, but you have to realize that the generation that will make this happen are the same generation that came up with the "l33t speak" tl;dr.. I was born in 82 myself and know that even most of the people I grew up with are addicted to video games and reality TV. The "platform" to unite people and make this happen needs to be something that not only makes sense to those who are less educated than they should be (let's face it, the majority of the US populace is fairly dim), but also needs to be something that actually addresses the issues that people perceive in their ordinary lives.


I'm unsure why you think what I present would be unintelligible to young adults - not every one, agreed - but the ideas only need to spread to the tipping point. And there're plenty of more seasoned individuals. Perhaps you're thinking this is something for years down the road? If we get these ideas out there and to the tipping point, we could see major changes in as little as a year.

And I do believe what I present addresses issues - such as having food, clothing, shelter - that we all presently have to worry about. How do you see this as not so?


Remember, we're talking about children - many can attest that most of Gen X is still infantile in mentality, never mind my generation. From my own peek into the mentality of the people on such sites as 4chan who are actually taking a strong interest in this, the majority would rather "blow stuff up" than hold a sign and peaceably protest.


Ah, but if the ideas spread, they will see that blowing stuff up is unnecessary (and a waste of resources, at that). We, as a planet, can wrest control via the elimination of money from the current elite and give it to each one of us - without bloodshed, without blowing stuff up.


I've proposed on numerous occasions that the winning rallying cry would be "debt forgiveness" - specifically for those with student loan debt. That covers a VERY large portion of the people between 25 and 40. With college grads attaining useless bachelors degrees by the thousands only to find themselves stocking shelves and flipping burgers, there's a strong support for the idea that our gov't screwed us by laying with the corporations who sent our jobs overseas. The growing support for Ron Paul, as "fringe" as he may seem, is a clear indication of this.


If we get rid of money...monetary debt will be forgiven. No one will have to flip burgers, or stock shelves - we will have robots to do all that. Not in a year, I suppose, but within a surprisingly short amount of time, nonetheless.


The truth is that everyone has their own individual reason to take to the streets and protest - until we find common ground in this country (you know, not the manufactured one that I'm sure TPTB have ready), nothing positive will come of any of it.


And that is why we need to spread these ideas. Now. Given what happened to me at a neocon board (see this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com... and this one: www.abovetopsecret.com... ), I am betting the PTB are a bit nervous and don't want this to spread. There must be a reason.

I hope the protesting workers have a chance to consider these ideas. If we act quickly, we can skirt martial law.



posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu
 


When we have "tea party" protesters protesting the protesters, you can clearly see why I'm saying we'd need a very clear, very to-the-point rallying cry.. if it's more than 3 or 4 words, it wont take.. not with the mentality of today's Americans. Not yet. When it comes to protests, it's all about the chant. If it can't be chanted, it just wont drum up support

Honestly, I'm about as (true) conservative / libertarian as they come for my generation. I was with the "tea party" before there was one. Now I'm just sitting here shaking my head over what I see the "tea party" doing and the support these GOP neo cons have garnered. How did they get that support from people who obviously started out with the right ideas? They simply delivered an easy to chant one-liner that the people grabbed on to. I say, "When in Rome"

Funny story - we had a power flash yesterday as a transformer blew down the street - I immediately thought to myself "# - it's anonymous!" Next time it might actually be them



posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by flyingdog
reply to post by Amaterasu
 


When we have "tea party" protesters protesting the protesters, you can clearly see why I'm saying we'd need a very clear, very to-the-point rallying cry.. if it's more than 3 or 4 words, it wont take.. not with the mentality of today's Americans. Not yet. When it comes to protests, it's all about the chant. If it can't be chanted, it just wont drum up support


How about... Do the 'Digm! (As in the abundance paradigm...pronounced "Do the "dime") Here are lyrics needing a tune, even.... www.abovetopsecret.com...


Honestly, I'm about as (true) conservative / libertarian as they come for my generation. I was with the "tea party" before there was one. Now I'm just sitting here shaking my head over what I see the "tea party" doing and the support these GOP neo cons have garnered. How did they get that support from people who obviously started out with the right ideas? They simply delivered an easy to chant one-liner that the people grabbed on to. I say, "When in Rome"


I agree. I thought the Tea Party was awesome - initially. Then...what weirdness crept into their behavior and stated goals! Heh. Do the 'Digm!


Funny story - we had a power flash yesterday as a transformer blew down the street - I immediately thought to myself "# - it's anonymous!" Next time it might actually be them


LOL! Or it might be...Them.

Do the 'Digm!



new topics

top topics



 
13
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join