It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Worker Protests Spread From Wisconsin to Ohio

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Public Worker Protests Spread From Wisconsin to Ohio

www.bloomberg.com

In Columbus, Ohio, about 3,800 state workers, teachers and other public employees came to the statehouse for a committee hearing. President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner, an Ohioan, argued over whether the bills are “an assault on unions.”

Ohio firefighters Dave Hefflinger and Jerry Greer said they were. They stood near hundreds of workers elbow-to-elbow in the statehouse atrium and listened to a Senate hearing through speakers. Chants of “Kill the bill”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Are we beginning to see the underpinnings of a nationwide uprising here folks?

Are the events of Wisconsin the catalyst behind protestors and dissidents taking to the streets on a mass scale, and flooding state capitol buildings?

Looks like Ohio is next in line!

My feeling is that Big brother and their controllers will take and take and take, until we no longer have anything left to give, and they have forced our backs against the wall, to a point where we are literally fighting for our very survival. I feel we are fast approaching that point.

Things are becoming quite interesting and attention worthy here, imho...We should be watching these events VERY closely.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Wow...it's spreading. Yes. We may well be at the beginning of something. I know a quite a few states are watching this very closely. In particular, so states where governments "borrowed" secured pension money put in by union workers and never paid it back (FL and NJ come to mind immediately). Probably a lot of other states are watching for other reasons as well. The governor of Wisconsin couldn't have handled this more poorly if he tried or started it at a worst time, given the global and economic climates, Then again maybe that's the plan. When people start dying, everyone will start paying attention.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This whole scene seems suspiciously similar to all the recent and current events in the North Africa / Middle East and the recent past in Europe!!!!

We see something start innocently in one place and then "flash-mob" itself somewhere else all with the "same" issues????

Is there a bigger picture here?

Is there a worldwide "driver's seat" somewhere with "somebody" directing the whole thing?

Is Google involved?? (George Soros owns a high percentage of Google by the way)

Are the "Unions" acting like the "Muslim Brotherhood" ???

Great Caesar's Ghost ...... what's going on ???

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I wonder if we might see some of this in Texas due to the cuts to education and stuff. People are really getting fed up.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
So there's no question their setup is unsustainable. It's already bankrupt after all.

So the react to a proposed helping measure by refusing to go along with it?

They know its bankrupt right? They know its unsustainable right?

Do they just not care? Would they rather lose their jobs altogether than make minor concessions?

That just seems stupid.

I love how nobody wants to sacrifice anything but everybody expects others to sacrifice for them.

Like it's an abomination for me to accept a pay cut to keep my job but its okay of me to expect everybodys taxes to go up so I can keep my job. What the hell is that?

NH is in the black. We're good. To stay good we had to make some cuts. As I type there are judges, sheriffs and a every other state employee at home right now taking unpaid time off. It was either that or jack taxes, lay off some of them, or just keep pretending money grows on trees. No protests. No whining and bitching. Just people making a small sacrifice for the greater good.

Where did this idea that the greater should sacrifice for the smaller good come from?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
union or not, teachers have had a bullseye on them awhile in the US. I see this movement spreading swiftly if not properly addressed now.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A nationwide uprising of overpaid underworked public sector employees. I'd gladly man the firehose over this one.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I have never met an overpaid underworked public employee. Most of them have had terrible wages, mediocre benefits, and terrible hours.

But then I live in a non-union state. *shrug*

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

teachers have one of the toughest jobs with some of the worse pay. thier job literally follows them out of the classroom. most all of them have to pay for supplies out of pocket. the right-wing has really taken a vicious stance villifying them.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Is this any different than what happened in Greece ? If our government systems are broke, what choice is there logically, but to cut spending?? If private sector workers pay a higher proportion of income for medical care and pension funds than government workers, how is that fair?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I got news for you.
Its a lot more than just union employees there and should show which way the populous is swaying.
But GOP and their head in the Corporate butt tactics wont allow them too see any Civil Logic.
Why the Attack on folks earning only $30-$50 k a year and not even a Boo for those making the 6,7 and 8 figures a year?

YeeHaw......

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I wonder if we might see some of this in Texas due to the cuts to education and stuff. People are really getting fed up.

It looks like a LOT of states are attempting "budget cuts" by targeting Public Workers!!!

Legislation is similar and the timing is coordinated !!!

WHO is actually "writing" these similar law changes????

conspiracy???

Obama claims to "support" the unions ... but what has REALLY been happening ?? Hmmmmm..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

No. The first nationwide uprising of all workers and former workers that happens to be being started by union workers you deem whatever it is you deemed them.

See the plutocracy made it first big mistake here. They finally tangled with some really strong and organized unions.

See they always knew unions would be a problem and this is why they've been working so diligently to get rid of them.

The sectors they've attacked and stolen pensions from and cut wages for and jobs from up until now have been either non-unionized, had more corrupt unions that sold them out, or had their unions busted first.

People who didn't have the benefits of have a strong organizing force are watching this just as closely and may well be motivated to action. We'll have to see, won't we?

edit on 2/18/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So.. Can this be the spark thats needed to wake up our country?
It seems that the only thing that can "rile" up Americans, is something that affects their health care or their jobs.
Thats understandable of course because these topics are more blatant and exposed, while the real threats, like passive surveillance and the more current "snitch on your neighbor" campaigns tend to go unnoticed by the majority of the population.

I will save you the trouble and answer my initial question myself.. I doubt it

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by VType

Why the Attack on folks earning only $30-$50 k a year and not even a Boo for those making the 6,7 and 8 figures a year?

YeeHaw......

because they brainwashed us into thinking the more money the rich make and keep, the better we all are off cause of it. the entire world economy is getting worse by the day, yet corporate profit stays healthy if not outright record-breaking. we now live in a world where 3/4 of all the wealth is tied up with a very scant few. this system will not last.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Is that what they tell you or have you seen their financials?

Ive been in the public sector for 20 years now across several states and nearly all of us are overpaid, under-worked, and live with very little if any threat to our employment.

Why do you think I spend so much time on ATS?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I have been very vocal about the idea that there is a world wide revolution brewing. It started with Egypt and WILL work its way over here if it hasn't already.

To me, the question isn't whether or not America is going to have a revolution.
It is when...and...Is it being engeneered?
It will be hard to get excited about the change a revolution could bring about when you suspect that it was all engeneered in the first place.

As we are all aware, the reason for engeneering civil unrest/revolution is for an exuse to impliment Martial Law.

I wish someone could give me the warm and fuzzies and tell me that the 2nd American Revolution will be a positive experience but I have my doubts.

In any case, I would suggest that all of the Hard asses that I constantly see popping their heads up talking smack about how they are going to be first in line to take our country back please remember,
There is a time and a place to fight. You may very well be luered in only to get smacked down.
Keep your heads down for now and wait out the storm.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

I think it can be, but it is nowhere near there yet.

If the Mortgage Servicers such as BOA and JPMCB continue making news with their shenanigans, though, it might be enough.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I have worked with City workers who were in terrible shape.. and not because of their own mismanagement of funds. And Teachers are definately not in good shape regarding money or work hours here. In fact, I tend to have to buy a lot of supplies for projects and assignments in the school.

I do admit there is a LOT of waste in all levels of government and there are definately people who sit around wasting time all day and get paid well to do it.. but then that exists in the private sector as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join