It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM's Watson is 2001's Monolith - 2011 The Year We Turned Back Into Monkeys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cabd28f210f8.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6f38f9898c77.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2b6728a23d6.jpg[/atsimg]

Just an observation.

He just beat our monkey brains on Jeopardy

Welcome our new computer overlords.

Welcome to A.I.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It's only a game let's see it write a book that has real meaning.Lets see the machine be creative.Lets see the machine produce a great painting.Where's his famous sculpture.Can it drive a car.How about a great civilization can it produce that.It's programming is limited your's is not.Don't panic yet.There is no AI yet.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Considering the monoliths in all 4 books, well except for monolith 1 (the monkey one; or was it #2 on the moon? can't remember exactly) in the 4th book wanted to eradicate humas IIRC, helped us to some degree, I'm not sure I see your point.

edit on 2/17/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Yeah I 2nd the above. Mankind is more than solving equations and answering questions.

I'm partial to the scene on that movie "iRobot" with Will Smith, where he was talking about his past brush with A.I. Robot that saved his life because, the equation of survivability on him was like 30% or something, and the younger girl was only 11%. Yeah, 11% is enough for me to give it a shot. Don't think we'll see Sir Watson make that call anytime soon, if at all.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Just joking around. Just the resemblance.

The other day I was watching the NOVA show about it, thinking of where this might progress, I'm not saying bad, and then I flipped the channel and it was couples ice skating on the next one. I said, computers will never do that.

At least not as graceful.

Go humans!
edit on 17-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
double
edit on 17-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Another observation, he beat 'Ken' and 'Brad' two yanks no doubt.

America isnt exactly a hotbed of bright educated minds, and I doubt the leading lights of it are showcasing their cranial abilities on Jeopardy' or whatever redneck hee-haw nonsense this is.

The ability to compile facts and data and make deductions does not equal intelligence and certainly does not equate true emotions or sentience, nor does an emulation of human emotions or reactions. It's always going to be just a program, no matter how impressive or convincing it looks.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

It's always going to be just a program, no matter how impressive or convincing it looks.

Exactly.

And a program that had its information entered by humans. It just so happened it was a collective of humans, a gathering of group intellect as it were, in one computer, and the competitors were individuals. Of course the program won. Anyone who doubted otherwise is plain silly.

AI? Nope, it was human I.

edit on 17-2-2011 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
A computer that can win Jeopardy is a far cry from Skynet mate.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Cool - I can imagine lots of potential ues for a prehensile tail!!

new topics

top topics

join