It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ask a christian

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
who died and made you jesus
edit on 17-2-2011 by nougat420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Do you cherry pick the bits you want to believe in the bible or do you believe whole heartedly in the written word of the bible? If you believe whole heartedly:

Please explain to me why Noah's flood was such a good act by God. Why HE felt it okay to kill every man. child and unborn child and save only one family - in the process, killing a huge number of races - this was the ultimate ethnic/multi special cleansing. Let's not forget all the animals He killed.

I truely cannot get my head around this event and yet it takes up so much of your time in the bible to glorify God, a very nasty, spiteful and merciless killer

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Seed76

Thank you for the answers. Unfortunately they are unacceptable.

Slavery of ANY kind cannot be justified morally. I could care less if it was based on race, social class, or anything else. Owning people is morally wrong. The Bible also gives tips on how to sell your daughter into slavery, does the fact that its not based on race make it okay to sell your daughter?

Your second offering is a pathetic mess of apologetics trying to excuse God's actions by bringing up Pharaoh's evil. This argument simply doesn't work, for several reasons. If someone comes into a house and kills a child it is hardly okay for the person whose child is dead to retaliate by killing the attacker's child. Two wrongs do not make a right. I'm well aware that Pharaoh was an evil and wicked man, in fact that is my entire point, Pharaoh is labeled as EVIL for enslaving the Hebrews and killing the Hebrew children, when God does it he is a HERO seen as being a just and righteous God. How horrible! So God, who is meant to be better than we humans, hardens Pharaoh's heart so that he can carry out an act of genocidal revenge.

As if to throw salt in the wounds the website you quote from claims that the plagues were an act of mercy. So murdering innocent children is an act of mercy. So their defense to make God seem like less of a jerk is to make him seem like more of a jerk by saying he SHOULD have destroyed all of Egypt

edit on 17-2-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

take the bible simply as a rule book. it's the rules to life. it's all you need to know. it's central message is to love everyone and everything.

you don't need religion. you need faith. you need action.

dude i'm not all about church. i mean the center of my message is the pulpit or the church is lying to us about what it claims the bible to represent. more so through it's actions and choices than anything. i mean come on, it changed it's day of worship into a pagan day of worship. it's been lying since its inception.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nougat420
who died and made you jesus
edit on 17-2-2011 by nougat420 because: (no reason given)

umm.... Jesus

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

because the masses were suffering anyway.. dude sometimes it's just better to die. ya know. like if i was a child that had been kidnapped and i was gonna get raped every single day(kinda like the system rapes us every single day) and there was no way for me to ever ever ever escape. i'd rather you blow my brains out then live that way.

we have fallen so far from our beginning and you people actually believe we are "progressing". progressing to what exactly? i'm sorry i'm tired of being a living zombie to the system. this machine is so lubed and ready to keep rolling through the times. we constantly crap all over ourselves the more we try to "simplify" life.

you want to simplify life... sell all your possessions and go live in nature. hunt for your food. that is what we were born to do. that is how we were created to be. we aren't evolving. we are just tightening the noose around our necks.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stuncrazy

Originally posted by stuncrazy
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

to genesis 1 there was light before there was sun. there was darkness before the moon.

...so? We know for a fact the sun is older than our planet and that the moon is older than plant life.

genesis 6-9 there are many historical and mythological documentation of this said event so i don't see how you say it's completely false.

Um...because there's no historical documentation and the stories of global deluge don't account for the lack of historical evidence or the out and out impossibility of a wooden ship the size of Noah's ark being seaworthy.

the thing about genesis and the first five books is that they were pinned by someone that wasn't there and was only going by what God told him to.

Or it was written by several bronze age desert people who didn't understand the first things about science or the formation of the universe...

he told him what he needed to know about creation or "the beginning". as far as we can tell scientifically this whole physical reality that we're living in could just be a giant figment of our own imagination. yes science is stranger than fiction.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing in science that shows that we could be living in a figment of our own imagination. You're thinking about philosophy.

the whole point is that figuring out exactly how we got here in no way shape or form gonna change our everyday life and it shouldn't. it's not important. seriously finding the answer to answer all questions... is gonna do what exactly?

Figuring out how we got here doesn't help us? I'm sorry, but I've benefited from modern medicine, much of which is derived from an understanding of evolutionary biology.

Now, understanding how the universe formed? Well, what's the harm in knowing it? It could help us understand how to better utilize the resources within it.

the whole point is that we cannot by our own will or actions recreate the beginning of everything. if we as highly intelligent beings cannot create this occurance you're really gonna sit there and tell me it "just happened"?

Yes. Because we also cannot create a star, yet those seem to 'just happen' all the time.

Just because we can't do them doesn't mean that they can't arise naturally.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Seed76

Slavery is still slavery, it's the ownership of individuals and is wrong. Hell, the idea that you should be allowed to beat an individual within an inch of their life and get away with it so long as you don't kill them is just insanely wrong.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

hey were you all for the death of Sadaam Hussein? Were you rooting for hitler? did you cry when he offed himself? would you cry if all the owners of the federal reserve somehow died? what about the bank owners?
have you ever wished death on someone you hated?

oh but your gonna get mad because he protected his people. your gonna get mad because he's God, yet you'd root for it if someone did it to someone you knew deserved to die.

don't be a hypocrite man.

he tortured and made a person suffer when that person lived a fabulous life Because of the torture and suffering of at least 40,000 people. that's poetic justice my friend. poetic justice at it's finest.

dude for the slave thing. do you have a job?
if yes
---your a slave
if no
---how do you pay for internet?

slavery is at the core of society and it always has been and it always will be. except in, and this is the great part, tribal communities.
tribal living is so much better than... well this crap.

i think the indians were pretty dead on honestly.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

take the bible simply as a rule book. it's the rules to life. it's all you need to know. it's central message is to love everyone and everything.

you don't need religion. you need faith. you need action.

dude i'm not all about church. i mean the center of my message is the pulpit or the church is lying to us about what it claims the bible to represent. more so through it's actions and choices than anything. i mean come on, it changed it's day of worship into a pagan day of worship. it's been lying since its inception.

I like that you choose to respect, care, etc.

But the bible can't be chosen as a rule book of life. For instance, the bible says homosexuality is wrong, you can't tell someone gay to marry a woman because the bible says so.

I don't know in you are a man but if you are and if the bible says a man should marry a man then would you marry a man because the bible says so?

My point is that the bible shouldn't be used as a rule book. People can love and care without religion.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

you have yet to ever tell me what it is about the spiritual side of christianity and the bible you have a problem with.

spirituality

spir·it·u·al   
[spir-i-choo-uhl] Show IPA
–adjective
of, pertaining to, or consisting of spirit; incorporeal.
of or pertaining to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature: a spiritual approach to life.
closely akin in interests, attitude, outlook, etc.: the professor's spiritual heir in linguistics.

source

the bible is a book of the spirit. it is about your attitude towards life and how you approach life.

what does the beginning of life and everything in it have to do with YOUR soul? with YOUR attitude towards others and life?

your fighting for science a cold, heartless observation of "facts" whom we easily survived without all this "great knowledge".

you chase the world and everything in it, and i'll chase God and the peace and tranquility he has to offer.
edit on 17-2-2011 by stuncrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

yea you can't make a girl leave a guy that beats her either. doesn't make it right.

if society as a whole were gay we wouldn't live more than one generation.

once again i'm with you on the religion thing. you don't need religion. religion implies church and you don't need church (although, if you can find one that's actually good well you'd want to go.) you need the virtues that the bible teaches.

if you can get to it without the bible if you can truly be a TRUELY GOOD PERSON. then by all means do it. if you can be consistently giving, loving, etc.. without a relationship with God. then by all means do it.

i don't do it cause i want to go to heaven. i do it cause i want to be a good person. and the bible tells you thats the only way to understand the bible. if your looking for a secret way into heaven or your trying to use it for you own reasons it won't work. it doesn't work, you won't understand it. but if you go through that book understanding it as you're guide book to life. you will.

it doesn't make itself sound good either. you follow christ you die like christ. we are the martyrs of the world. the only thing we can hope for is hate from the masses. why? because the world hates rays of light. the world loves it's darkness and it's lies. Martin L. King Jr., Malcolm X, JFK, Abraham Lincoln, Ghandi. what did we do to them? why? because the world wants you hate as much as it does. misery loves company my friends.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

yea you can't make a girl leave a guy that beats her either. doesn't make it right.

You agree with my previous post?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

well i agree to the point that you were trying to make. you can't make someone who has chosen to be gay to love a person of the opposite sex.

just like you can't make someone leave someone that is beating them, because they choose to love that person.

either way doesn't make it right.

either way i won't treat the person like trash because they don't listen to me.

their choice is their choice. it is not of my concern what they do or don't do. I do know 1 thing though if their morale and spirituality were founded in the bible they wouldn't take being beaten and they wouldn't be gay.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

just like you can't make someone leave someone that is beating them, because they choose to love that person.

I do know 1 thing though if their morale and spirituality were founded in the bible they wouldn't take being beaten and they wouldn't be gay.

A woman that doesn't leave a man that beats her has mental issues. Someone gay can't love a woman because it's not his choice just like you can't love a man because you were born like that.

In your last sentence you say "wouldn't be gay". Do you mean that someone being gay can change to not being gay?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

yea it happens alot.

being gay is a choice.

trust me i've been down that road. you grow up with the insecurity that your feminine, those insecurities turn into questions which turn into decisions that you choose to make.

or if your a girl... guys suck i can totally understand that one.

it's all choices. genetics is one of the biggest loads i've ever heard of. genetics makes you believe that you aren't fully responsible for every action you take. genetics is a crutch for someone to use instead of take responsibility for his/herself.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

yea it happens alot.

being gay is a choice.

trust me i've been down that road. you grow up with the insecurity that your feminine, those insecurities turn into questions which turn into decisions that you choose to make.

or if your a girl... guys suck i can totally understand that one.

it's all choices. genetics is one of the biggest loads i've ever heard of. genetics makes you believe that you aren't fully responsible for every action you take. genetics is a crutch for someone to use instead of take responsibility for his/herself.

Please, don't tell me that being gay is a choice. Please get educated in that field because it's ignorance to say it's a choice.

Ask any sexologist about it if you want.

There are guys who are confused. Some find out they are not gay, others find out they are.

Tell me, can you choose to sleep with a man right now? you can't. You can't choose who you love.

edit on 17-2-2011 by danielsil18 because: grammar

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

that's a load of crap that's like an alcoholic saying they can't quit drinking. it's a choice. every desire is a choice. it is your mind. it is your emotions. control them or they will control you.

do you agree that we have free will? do you agree that our brains can make decisions? do you believe that you can change your mind?

i know we can, and i don't need scientific proof that this is true. i can prove it. what's your favorite color? whatever color you choose, you just made a decision.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

that's a load of crap that's like an alcoholic saying they can't quit drinking. it's a choice. every desire is a choice. it is your mind. it is your emotions. control them or they will control you.

do you agree that we have free will? do you agree that our brains can make decisions? do you believe that you can change your mind?

Oh please, you are comparing an alcoholic to a homosexual. Compare things that can be compared, we all know an alcoholic has the choice but homosexuality doesn't. I told you already, stop with the ignorance and ask a sexologist if you want.

We do have free will and yes our brains can make decisions. Now prove it and go and sleep with a man, can you make that choice? you can't, why? because you are not gay. Same way goes with a homosexual.

edit on 17-2-2011 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

ok why is it that what is beautiful to us usually follow the same lines.

why are we attracted to young, skinny, toned chicks with big boobs and big butts? because we are molded into seeing this as beautiful. by every magazine, by every television show, and every commercial that sells sex.

when back in the day people were attracted to larger women. in china woman would wear weird shoes to deform their feet cause it was considered beautiful. there have always been "social structures" to tell you what to think is attractive. if they can teach you to follow these thoughts you are allowing them to decide what is attractive for you... either way you choose to be attracted to it.

LOVE is a choice. just like it's a choice to love your fellow man.

you either lust or you love the choice is yours.

the problem you have with this ideology is it makes you responsible for yourself. and when it all comes down to it that's all you are accountable for. you, your thoughts, and your actions.

you can't control my thoughts and i can't control your thoughts likewise with action. so i am not responsible for you nor you me, but i am responsible for my actions. i used to be a drug addict cause i chose to be. i use to drink cause i chose to drink. i've been with people that were bad for me, because i chose to love them. i loved their outward appearance and not their inward appearance.

what applies to the whole, must apply to the individual. because it cannot happen to the whole if the individual doesn't do his part.

it would be bad for humanity if everyone was gay because there would be no children. plain and simple.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join