It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ask a christian

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by galactictuan

as the bible does call being gay an abomination. i can understand the stance the church takes. although i am completely against it, because to understand the bible you have to take it as a whole not knit pick at scriptures and use one to justify whatever emotion, action, thought you are having.

it's very easy to "make" the bible say what you want it to, but once again the bible is a whole and should be treated as such. while being gay is an abomination, it is only God's place to judge.

i may not agree with the lifestyle choice, but that is because where my morals are founded. either way i will treat you like anyone else, because hate never breeds peace.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

to genesis 1 there was light before there was sun. there was darkness before the moon.

genesis 6-9 there are many historical and mythological documentation of this said event so i don't see how you say it's completely false.

the thing about genesis and the first five books is that they were pinned by someone that wasn't there and was only going by what God told him to.

he told him what he needed to know about creation or "the beginning". as far as we can tell scientifically this whole physical reality that we're living in could just be a giant figment of our own imagination. yes science is stranger than fiction.

the whole point is that figuring out exactly how we got here in no way shape or form gonna change our everyday life and it shouldn't. it's not important. seriously finding the answer to answer all questions... is gonna do what exactly?

the whole point is that we cannot by our own will or actions recreate the beginning of everything. if we as highly intelligent beings cannot create this occurance you're really gonna sit there and tell me it "just happened"?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

one more thing about the slave thing. what we call slavery today is not what slavery was in the past.

people were slaves by choice. they would sell themselves as a slave because they needed the cash or they were in debt or this and that.

you have a job right? you work for someone who in turn pays you and in turn you provide food and shelter for yourself and anyone else who you might be providing for.

isn't a job a modern form of slavery?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I will try to answer your two questions, in a simple manner. Please feel free to do further research if you are truly interested.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Why is a supposedly Holy book giving tips on how hard people are allowed to beat their slaves?

Although, your question is just, what you fail to understand is that slavery in biblical times was very different from the slavery used in the past few centuries.

The slavery in the Bible was not based on race. People were not enslaved because of their nationality or the color of their skin. In Bible times, slavery was more a matter of social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could not pay their debts or provide for their families.

The key issue is that the slavery the Bible allowed for in no way resembled the racial slavery that plagued our world in the past few centuries.

Source

Try to do a Historical and Cultural research, on "Slavery" 2000-3000 Years ago.

In the book of Exodus after repeatedly hardening Pharaoh's heart to make sure the Hebrews remained enslaved God decides to kill the first born of Egypt, he then goes out and murders every first born of Egypt.

Although it´s a just question, you have to understand two crucial points from the Biblical point of view.

First, the pharaoh was not an innocent or godly man. He was a brutal dictator overseeing the terrible abuse and oppression of the Israelites. The Egyptian pharaohs had enslaved the Israelites for 400 years. A previous pharaoh (possibly even the pharaoh in question) ordered that male Israelite babies be killed at birth (Exodus 1:16). The pharaoh God hardened was an evil man, and the nation he ruled agreed with, or at least did not oppose, his evil actions.

Second, before the first few plagues, Pharaoh hardened his own heart against letting the Israelites go. “Pharaoh's heart became hard” (Exodus 7:13, 22; 8:19). “But when Pharaoh saw that there was relief, he hardened his heart” (Exodus 8:15). “But this time also Pharaoh hardened his heart” (Exodus 8:32).

The pharaoh could have spared Egypt of all the plagues if he had not hardened his own heart. God was giving Pharaoh increasingly severe warnings of the judgment that was to come. The pharaoh chose to bring judgment on himself and on his nation by hardening his own heart against God’s commands.

As a result of Pharaoh’s hard-heartedness, God hardened Pharaoh’s heart even further, allowing for the last few plagues as mentioned in (Exodus 9:12; 10:20, 27). Pharaoh and Egypt had brought these judgments on themselves with 400 years of slavery and mass murder. Since the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23), and Pharaoh and Egypt had horribly sinned against God, it would have been just if God had completely annihilated Egypt.

Therefore, God’s hardening Pharaoh’s heart was not unjust, and His bringing additional plagues against Egypt was not unjust. The plagues, as terrible as they were, actually demonstrate God’s mercy in not completely destroying Egypt, which would have been a perfectly just penalty.

Source
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sources used : Got Questions?

Sources as reference points for further research :

Slavery in Biblical Times.
Pharaos in the hebrew Bible
Dating the Exodus

Peace
edit on 17-2-2011 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2011 by Seed76 because: I have forget ex tags to include.

edit on 17-2-2011 by Seed76 because: Minor corrections

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
Okay, I have a question for you.

The bible teaches that the earth is somewhere around 6000 years old. Yet carbon dating can prove for example that the dinosaurs roamed the earth over 265 millions years ago.

Please explain.

Ummm carbon dating can only date an item to about 60,000 years as carbon 14's half life is about 6000 years. Uranium dating, on the other hand ....

Do yourself a favor: if you decide to bludgeon Christian’s beliefs using the cudgel of science, try to get you science right.

edit on 17-2-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by stuncrazy

the bible teaches you not to question God and not to worry about things of which are not of your concern.

Here is where I have to differ. The Bible as we know it was written by MEN, not by God. That being said, the warning not to question God/Bible or anything having to do with the Divine is what makes a Christian a slave to things unknown. A man, or men told you that. Question everything. I, on two occasions, had the opportunity to see what could be called "God," I mean glowing with golden hue, sitting on a golden throne, seemingly a very powerful being. I could have fallen on my face and worshipped as anyone who was not "in the know" might do. but no, I questioned the being. Upon direct questioning both being admitted being Annunaki, and not Gods at all. It is easy to see what the Ancient Sumerian thought these Annunaki were Gods, I mean, the way they look, and flying through the skies in visible craft that left a trail of smoke and fire. These events are even described in the Bible, but with heavy religious overtones. To end, friend, everything is of my concern. I am totally free of the chains of organized religion and Christian dogma, and have gained power over the light and dark elemental beings. I walk the Ether, and am able to do a lot more too, but I will not go into that here.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
Okay, I have a question for you.

The bible teaches that the earth is somewhere around 6000 years old. Yet carbon dating can prove for example that the dinosaurs roamed the earth over 265 millions years ago.

Please explain.

HUH? Carbon dating cannot show something is 265 million years old. Dinosaur fossils are aged by what rock layer they are found in.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69

OK what’s it mean if you witness a golden hand or hand of god appear above you.
And is it a common occurrence?

I don't know if this is a common occurrence, but it happened to me also. I saw two huge golden feet, complete with sandals descend right into my living room, and stand there for some minutes. the energy field that came with the being was very strong, and both positive and negative. It was only later, during other experiences I discovered this was the Annunaki. I think they are back, and have been back since 1999. They are hiding in another dimension.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Answer me these questions with squared honesty.

?Given to the fact that Christianity had adapted some of the ancient summerian mythic concept of creation, the wars in heaven and the final battle yet to come is it not more truthful to acknowledge those scriptures as wisdomic fact over the modern interpretation found in todays christian bibles.

?Given to fact that nearly all modern christian bibles have been re-edited countless times by many different people how can you validate your answers without error when you quote scripture references as part of your replies.

?Given to fact that there are many synonyms of the word 'evil' and since many humans all think they 'know' what evil is which one are you ascribing to when you refer to it in your replies.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
doesn't every Christian think that they are "real" christians and that all the other ones aren't? I've never heard somebody say "I'm just one of those fake christians!" There is no real christianity.
I have no problem with what the bible does or does not "teach" because i stopped reading the damn nonsense when i was a kid, around the same time that i read the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the fifth and final time. It's very interesting and can be enlightening, but in the end is just a long, meandering fantasy story that really doesn't make much sense and has a terrible ending. It seems unwise to put out troll bait like this with the intention of answering questions which really have no answers.
I'll save everybody the trouble on this one; the answer to any question you ask boils down to a smug grin and the phrase "just have faith."

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Because prior to Christians adopting this practice, beating slaves to death was not only permitted it was common.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

no there are certain things you should not concern yourself with simply cause finding the answer doesn't change a thing. origin of life for example. say we figure it all out we have the scientific solution to the problem.... then what?
what HUGE difference is it gonna make? other than someone touting "YAY!!! now i know everything" finding this answer is about pride and nothing else.

yes, the bible teaches you to question the motives of man and the principalities and powers. judge every man's words. (not judge as in "shame shame" but rather weigh what they say and don't take it as is)

i can almost guarantee Jesus would be a skeptic like many of us here.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013

?Given to the fact that Christianity had adapted some of the ancient summerian mythic concept of creation, the wars in heaven and the final battle yet to come is it not more truthful to acknowledge those scriptures as wisdomic fact over the modern interpretation found in todays christian bibles.

yes. the book should be acknowledged as a book of wisdom. it claims to be nothing else.

it claims to be the word of God and has proven itself over the ages. take the Danielle 70 week prophesy for example. it was written 500 some odd years before Jesus roamed this earth and was completely correct in it's timing of the Jesus even to the point of his crucifixion.

?Given to fact that nearly all modern christian bibles have been re-edited countless times by many different people how can you validate your answers without error when you quote scripture references as part of your replies.

in all cases the bible must be taken with common sense. the bible cannot contradict itself, and it is always for the good of man.

you see that is the only part of atheism that chokes the debate. the bible was written by men inspired by the Holy Spirit. this is important to note. while certain translations (NIV, NLV... and other "feel good" bibles) were purposely changed, which simply means get the right translation. i've found the king james to be the best.

the bible is a very personal tool. it teaches you how to act appropriately. it teaches the evil (i'll answer that question in a sec) of man, it teaches virtues, morals, and error. it is the ruler by which you are measured. it was given to man so no man could say he didn't know how to be a good person.

please understand. we are not judged on what we believe per se, but rather how our beliefs affect the actions we do towards our fellow man. you are judged on whether you were caring, loving, helpful, or not.

?Given to fact that there are many synonyms of the word 'evil' and since many humans all think they 'know' what evil is which one are you ascribing to when you refer to it in your replies.

"evil" is anything that is opposite of love. love is the greatest of all virtues. so anything that you do for any reason besides love for mankind and the creations and creator is evil.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

the bible, while yes is about faith. you have to understand what that actually means.

you have faith in your dollar. you have faith in your paycheck. you have a belief that if you go to your bank they will cash your check and you will be able to buy stuff with the money you get from cashing your check, right?

faith = action

don't talk about it be about it. i don't say i'm a real Christian because i read a book. i say i'm a real Christian because i follow the life of Jesus and am a imitator of Christ. I love. I care, I give.

i am the change i want to see in this world. there is nothing else i control other than myself and my emotions. if i ever get the opportunity to make actual change in this world i will(and in the process be assassinated), but until then i can only help as much as i can.

edit on 17-2-2011 by stuncrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My question is if you need religion to be a good person?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stuncrazy

the bible condones brotherly love. the bible promotes to be giving, sharing, caring and self sacrifice.

the bible also states that if you have slaves to be a good slave owner. meaning treat the slaves as individuals and to care and watch over them as a father watches over his children.

once again your quote comes from the old testament and the old testament is simply a testament to the folly of man. want to know how God truly feels? study the words of Jesus for he is the only one who completely knows God. i'm positive he never condoned slaves.

though the fact remains. a rebellious slave never changed the fact that they were slaves

why do xtians distance themselves from the old testament?
Wasn't the old testament the "word of god"?
Isn't the new testament just a rewrite of the old one with lots of the bad stuff changed or taken out completely?
If the old testament was the word of god, then shouldn't xtians follow that version and who gave anyone the right to rewrite the word of god?
Genuine questions.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Completely dumbfounded at how the so called christians are defending slavery? Slavery back then is different than slavery was recently what kinda BS line of this???? The meaning of slavery has never changed ever! how you can sit here and justify beating people you own with a rod until their almost dead is pretty absurd to say the least.... Just shows how far some people will go to try to defend their holy books...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NonKonphormist

because if you look at it from a broad standpoint. the old testament is more like a history book about a people or "race". while there is alot of wisdom in it. it is almost a guide on what the jews did wrong. it also paints a pretty grim picture. (i for one think thats why the new testament is "the good news")

the picture is simply this people stopped doing things the right way. instead of giving they were taking. instead of serving they were being served. they became proud and loved other things than God.

----- quick note
to understand the importance of loving God you have to take who/what he is, and his name tells us this I AM ALL THAT I AM. he is the great IS he IS he Was and he forever WILL BE. He is Everything.

so to love God totally and fully you will have to love everything
-----

This world has been given to us. this life has been given to us. cherish it. love it. this world and this life were gifts. we've turned it into a job. a chore.

this is why i believe the end is nigh. we've destroyed the beauty that is God and all his creation.

generation by generation we have followed the footsteps of the jews and rejected God. now today we either follow their destruction to it's end, or we change. that is our choice with this generation. we either change ourselves and return to the way God intended things to be or we destroy ourselves from the inside out.

come on this is the routine. sleep 8 hrs work 8 hrs relax 8 hrs. i'm sorry but there's nothing this world has to offer me that will benefit me better than anything God does. all i need is love and food and water.

the world can take all it's garbage. it's television, its money, it's materialism, it's wars, it's famines(can you believe so many innocent children die from hunger, and people have the audacity to throw food away), it's man made deceases, it's banks, it's selfishness, it's pride. all that junk i can live without it. i choose love man. it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

while there have always been time's where people were forced into slavery. people have also become slaves voluntarily. it was common practice if people were having money problems, as punishment for a crime, or to pay off a debt.

Slavery in ancient cultures was known to occur in civilizations as old as Sumer, and it was found in every civilization, including Ancient Egypt, the Akkadian Empire, Assyria, Ancient Greece,[8] Rome and parts of its empire. Such institutions were a mixture of debt-slavery, punishment for crime, the enslavement of prisoners of war, child abandonment, and the birth of slave children to slaves.[9] In the Roman Empire, probably over 25% of the empire's population,[10] and 30 to 40% of the population of Italy[11] was enslaved. Records of slavery in Ancient Greece go as far back as Mycenaean Greece. It is often said that the Greeks as well as philosophers such as Aristotle accepted the theory of natural slavery i.e. that some men are slaves by nature.[12][13] At the time of Plato and Socrates, slavery was so accepted by the Greeks (including philosophers) that few people indeed protested it as an institution,[14] although there were in fact a few voices of opposition; Aristotle in Politics, Book 1, Chapter 6 noted and then discounted three voices opposed to his view of slavery, a jurist, philosopher and one other:

source

i'm pretty sure having a job is like being a slave and running a company is like owning slaves. only difference is with this version of slavery you have to pay to keep yourself fed and put a roof over your house, and your slave owner doesn't. oh BTW not only that but in order to eat and live you have to pay other slave owners, and not just any slave owners. you gotta pay the jerks who don't care if you live or die.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stuncrazy
reply to post by NonKonphormist

i choose love man. it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I don't think you need religion to make that choice, why choose to follow a religion?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join