It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 189
<< 186  187  188    190  191  192 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ur44lois

Quite honestly, I have given evacuation a lot of thought myself. Your best bet if you're above Little Rock and East of Conway would be to go straight north. Below Little Rock, head south, possibly to Texas, and avoid large bodies of water for as long as possible. Personally, I wouldn't try the freeways, too many insanely long bridges and if we had a massive earthquake, we could expect massive aftershocks as well. I don't think you're going to be able to totally avoid all bridges. but you definitely want to weigh the risks before you set out. If a bridge over the Arkansas River collapses, you're going to die. Very few people have been in those waters and lived to tell about it. However, if a bridge collapses over a small creek, or another road that's not too terrible far down, you'll probably be okay. Think about what you're going to drive too. A small car is about as good as a luxury SUV, but if you have a 'real' truck or SUV, it might be worth it to take it, even though it consumes more gas, because it will be able to drive places and manuever around things that a car wouldn't be able too. If you drive a truck and have gas cans around the house (as many Arkansans do, so they'll have what they need for lawn mowers, generators,chainsaws.. oh how the list goes on) consider not mixing anything in them until u are ready to use them, this way you can throw them in the back of your truck when you evacuate, just in case you can't buy more gas along the way. Unfortunately, evacuation will probably be impossible at least for the first 24 hours. 'Smart people' have chosen to make extreme lengths of main roads bridges, and the smaller, safer highways will probably be covered with large debris, down trees or power lines.
My husband and I are prepared to ride it out, so long as a nuclear disaster isn't eminent. We have the tents in the car, along with several gallons of water, MREs, canned foods etc. We also have blankets, clothes, shoes, leashes and tie outs for the dogs, an old set of pots and pans, lighters, first aid kit, camp stove, camp grill, and so on stored in his car which recently broke down, and we can't afford to fix at this time. I is parked away from things that can fall on it, so the idea is that our supplies should be good and ready for us to access in the event of an emergency. Hopefully, our efforts will be 'wasted,' but with everything going on in the world right now, it can't hurt to be prepared.
You should think about your neighborhood too. Be prepared to take charge or help lead. We have talked about how the people who walk out of their houses on their own would need immediate tasks. The weaker would be assigned to clear the roads, alongside stronger people with chainsaws. First Aid/CPR trained or medical personel would need to accompany the search party, checking each house for trapped survivors. Once the survivors have all been rescued, then it might be wise to send a scavenger party, to find food and supplies in the demolished homes (we live right next to the Greenbrier fault line, and most of our neighbors live in older mobile homes. We are expecting destruction beyond the point that it would be safe to live inside the home, if you can even locate the inside of a home, if an event happens.) We have identified a high elevated, large clear plot of land that several families could set up camp, if needed. It is close to a large pond, so some water purification tablets should make for drinkable water. We even decided that our spare tent should be used to house 'donated' supplies of food and first aid, and for one person to remain 'on duty' at all times in that tent, to try and work as a make-shift 'command center' where we can keep track of who is accounted for, who is missing, what needs to be done, and who is out doing it. We figure this type of organization would help prevent people from running in circles like their heads are cut off.

I think everyone should think of these things now, BEFORE something happens. Hopefully, you'll never have to use your plans/ideas. But if a time comes that this stuff is needed, the difference between having a plan and not having one could mean you neighbors life. It could mean that hundreds of pounds of meat in your neighborhood will spoil in toppled over refridgerators because you simply didn't think to go around and check them. If the Freezers are shut, keep them that way and they should keep the meat cool enough to be safe for about 2 days. Try not to open all refridgerators in the area at the same time, as you can eat out of them for a good 24 hours, remembering to eat things that take longer to spoil last. Try not to use anything that you find that doesn't require refridgeration until all cold foods are gone. This should help stretch your rations, minimizing waste. Think about the needs for guns and ammo for hunting while you're searching for people/supplies.Try and learn now, what plants in your area are edible, and what are poisonous. You might also look for what your pets can and cannot eat as well, remembering that they can't always eat what we do, and we can't always eat what they do.
Sorry about the novel.. haha, but if a big earthquake hits Arkansas, we need to think about these things.

EDIT: Forgot to say, you will probably have elderly neighbors, or some who will suffer minor injuries. You might utilize them by asking them to watch children who are too young to help, and cook meals for those who are working. This is another good reason that a 'camp' for your neighborhood would be a good idea. If everyone is staying in the same area, then more people will be available to take life saving measures, even though you'll want to stay with your kids. It's better for them if you leave them with the designated people, and get out there and save lifes and find supplies.
edit on 15-3-2011 by HadEnough because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Susan, I've been in Little Rock since yesterday morning, and about an hour ago my ears were ringing loudly again. They are still ringing now, but so quietly it's barely noticeable now. If a disaster is in the making, let's just pray that it will wait a few days so I can be out of this hospital and at home where I would belong during such an event! I should get out of here by Friday, hopefully things can be calm until then! I really can't stand being here right now. It's bothering me so much. I've never felt this way before. I've never felt like I was going to go insane because I can't be at home. I've noticed a couple of rumbles since I've been here. Silly people here think it's thunder. Thunder.. single booms, spread hours apart with no lightening, no rain. Okay, if they say so.. Please please please continue to keep me updated. You're closer to 'home' than I am, and I hate not being there now. I appreciate everything that everyone contributes here.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SusanFrey
reply to post by ur44lois

Yes you need that solid 6 hours once in a while, it sure does help to get it when you can. I'm glad they are finally listening to you at the Dr's office, maybe with more people coming in they will put 2 and 2 together. My ears are still ringing terribly. I am going to find the link to the quake clouds so that everyone can see them on this thread and have an idea of what to look for.
edit on 15-3-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

Have you tried chewing gum?

I hate to say this, but you are my proof. Whenever I suggest anything, I try to have information or a study to support my claim. There was just another 6.0 south of Tokyo. The waves just showed up. There was also another 6 pointer several hours before that.

I believe you are hearing the resonance of the water in the ground beneath you. The ground is literally humming. Like a transformer. Except it's not in the range we hear, but in the range that the vibrations in your ear are preceiving them. You can try large headphones meant for industrial purpose to block out the vibrations. But that may not help.

Try the gum. Even hum to yourself and play music in the background when you need a break.

I know this may sound crazy. But, without hurting yourself, spin around in circle like when we were kids to make yourself feel dizzy. Except don't try to make yourself dizzy. Instead, spin slowly and stop before you get to the point your about to become dizzy. Stop. Try this. And after a few attempts. Even tried spinning back in the other direction for a short bit.

I don't know if any of that will help. But experimenting to understand what's going on inside your ear may help you understand what you are experiencing. I've explain before, the ear serves more than one purpose. It's our center of balance as well. And we don't always register what the ear is telling us as sound we can hear. It will tell us about the other vibrations, but you will not precieve it as sound. It will be more of a feeling. This may be what causes the anxiety. You may be sense the movement and sounds, but cannot hear them. Your dogs will.

Excercise will help. Riding a stationary bike or pretty much anything will help muffle the sensations when you want them to subside or stop.

Someone post a picture of the inner ear showing our balancing system. Please.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HadEnough

If you are lucky enough to leave in time you are going to have problems in any direction you go. For me going north means I go through Greenbrier and Clinton and try to make it to Harrison, over some pretty steep and curvy roads and a few rivers to cross, if it's bad the roads will probably give way on the mountain sides and there will be rock slides. If I go West I have to go by the nuclear plant, which the fault could also trigger the one going into Oklahoma. I can't go east as that is right into the New Madrid and Mississippi River, and south I have to cross the Arkansas river. I really have no choice but to try to go west and get past the nuclear power plant before it goes, unless I'm out of here ahead of time which I would prefer.
edit on 15-3-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I hate dividing the world up into normal and abnormal. But you are not the norm. And niether am I. Most people don't give these matters much thought, let alone have their whole plan ready. Being preparded means never having to say you're sorry.

Please, everyone, read and star HadEnough's post. It could be a lifesaver.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Hi Robin,

I've tried all of the above except the stationary bike. Thank you, and yes they were posted maybe 15 or 20 pages back I think. Someone posted them for me. My equilibrium is off a little, it's not an ear infection. I squatted down to do something outside this weekend and fell over backwards, I couldn't stop it. We all laughed about it at the time, but the vertigo is there.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

How are your tests going? It's so hard to be having health issue's going on at the same time. You need to relax if you can and try not to worry, you don't need any more stress. Easier said than done I know. Ask them for something, tell them your ears are ringing, call attention to it but I'm sure you have been. My hubby works in Little Rock and commutes everyday. I hope that if one comes during the day he can get out too in time as I don't think he will make it home, so we have a meeting place set up in OK and to wait on each other at if cell phones are down. I am planning on going to Louisiana Thursday and may just stay down there a few days. What I'm worried about is getting in a bad spot down there too if the time lines everyone is thinking are right, that's not a good place to be either, but I want and need to see my other kids and grand-kids and it's spring break for Heath. Tons of black birds in the yard so that is a good sign. I'm keeping watch.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I do chew a lot of gum especially at work. Yesterday morning was an interesting morning. One of my nurse coworkers was standing up about 10 feet from me. My ears were buzzing and I knew there was a little quake coming. She looks up her eyes get big, she said OMG I'm dizzy and began to walk toward me. She says I'm gonna throw up. I looked up and smiled and said no its just the wave of the quake going by. This was the time of the 1030-11 am quakes. She is partially deaf, wears hearing aids but said she hadn't been wearing them as much because of the buzzing in her ears, she thought something was wrong with the aids. By 11:10 she was ok. I told her, you just felt your first quake in your ears, pay attention from now on. She said she had been having the same thing happen for the last 2 weeks and thought she must be getting an ear infection or a sinus cold but had been checked frequently. I explained remember how your grandma used to say a storm was brewing?Its the same kind of thing. We as humans have tryed to turn off our natural tuning forks so to speak. Yours is turning back on.
I'm off to Siloam Springs to help the eldest daughter get some things ready. She is empathic and has been having horrible daily migraines I told her I felt like part of it was her trying to block the sensations and feelings about the quakes not wanting to pick it up. So I'm gonna try to help her get in touch with some things and get prepared, it reduces the fear.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I haven't heard how the tests are going so far, though I'm beginning to feel like a pin cushion. I had to stay up all night long, so if my typing/spelling/grammar is off today, that would be why. What they're trying to do is trigger as many seizures as possible and catch them on video camera, to try and determine what my triggers and frequency are and so forth. So, the stress from this is actually a good thing.

Robin,
Thanks for your comment, I'm definitely not the norm, and I have known that for a long time. You see, the thing is, sometimes I get random obsessions about a bad thing potentially happening, and the obsession is I have to work out every kink on how I would handle it if it did. I have learned to take these obsessions as a warning, because many times now, the bad thing has happened and my plans had to be utilized. Example: I once had a friend who was brain dead, and miraculously woke up one day and began to slowly return to normal and start functioning properly again (woke up when they turned off the life support actually.) One day I as visiting him in the hospital, and I got this thought in my head, 'what would I do if his father died while he was still in the hospital?' The thought turned into an obsession, with me carefully looking at my schedule and figuring out how I could plan to be there so that his family could take care of the funeral and all. 3 days after the obsession began, his father died. He was buried in his home town, over a thousand miles away. Upon hearing the news, I called his friends to the hospital to comfort him, and immediately volunteered to make daily visits to the hospital to check on him and relay information to the family for him. I was prepared to help them. Not all of my obsessions prove to be valid like that one though. But, I have had a recurring dream since childhood about a devastating earthquake that cracks the land and such. Bottom line: It never hurts to be prepared, and always trust your instincts, because they just might be on to something.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The USGS is listing the newest Japanese quake at ? magnitude. I thought it look bigger than that judging from the waves on the graphs.

I've been watching Japanese TV, they say it was 6.4. I think the jury is still out. The quake was near Mt. Fuji.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Awsome! Thanks for the links.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Most excellent post. It sounds very much like what our neighborhood did after Hurricaine Ivan. We were without power for over a week and several of our neighbors we elderly. I cooked on a make-shift grill, passed around coffee to others as no one else had any way to make any. When we would go pick up ice & MREs we would take a truck & several people went together for those who couldn't go on their own. It was a real neighborhood effort and was heartwarming to see people comming together like that.

My family has lived close to the Earth for generations, lol. We are survivalists at heart and often just randomly discuss senarios and what everyone's talents are and where they fit in.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The inner ear is the organ of balance. Made up of three circular tubes designed to detect movement of the head in any dimension (semi-circular canals), this apparatus sends messages to the brain about one’s position, direction and velocity of movement. Other messages, provided separately by sensors in muscles and joints, also provide the brain with information about position and movement of the body. Finally, what we see with our eyes tells the brain where we are in space, where we are going,

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

I emailed the USGS about the shaking at the house and I volunteered to train as an earthquake "spotter" (I am a weather spotter). I understand it is hard to "spot" an earthquake.

I got a response today, asking if I want a seismograph that transmits automatically via the Web. They will install it in my garage.

The details should be on the USGS page, that is where they sent me

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

I am not sure why, but when I read that I got so excited my eyes teared up! Yay, we are on the right track and they are taking us all seriously! It's great to see all of the people on here taking the initiative to turn our concerns into progress. Please let us know if you do it and how it all works out.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

Can someone post the following videos directly to this thread? I can't post stuff, and ain't gonna try.
I know why you are dizzy. It's all about signalling.

Are you going to get one? Make sure you tell me what channel it's on.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

I suppose if the firing rate of signalling was hyper active, let's say, the hairs are constanlty vibrating, this causes misfiring of the nervous systems signalling. In extreme cases this could result in a seizure. Just like the lady who thought she smell burnt toast just before a siezure. When sensory systems in the brain are overloaded, you get a siezure. This lady who smell toast was one of the first people to have her head opened and examined by a surgeon.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

I am going to call them and fax it to them if they will accept us here.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

I am going to call them and fax it to them if they will accept us here.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

Fantastic!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

HEARING & Balance www.youtube.com...

How the Body Works :The Organs of Balance www.youtube.com...

The Sense of Position (1) www.youtube.com...

The Sense of Balance (2) www.youtube.com...

Dr. Wilder Penfield ( I can smell burnt toast) www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-3-2011 by ConsentioExpono because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2011 by ConsentioExpono because: Fix links for You Tube

top topics

<< 186  187  188    190  191  192 >>

join