It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

get internet access when your government shuts it down

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The USA is getting on my nerves in regard to their opinion of the internet, the USA does not own the net and they need to learn that.

As for getting internet access if they manage to shut down the major ISP's and block dialup, well i imagine satellite internet would still be a viable option, as long as it's not a US provider of course. They can't stop a satelite from passing overhead although i wonder if HAARP could be used to disrupt sattelite internet over the USA?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hello ATS,(my first reply)

,, I was reading this post(and I had to join) and thought old teck ,,,ham radio (packet radio), there is hope and we can even set it up world wide It may be a little slow now, but when it was invented it was at its peek technology in hardware and software,,lets see if some of The ATS family would like to try a small experiment with me in packet radio,I am at the east cost of canada, pm me ..

,,here is a copy and paste from www.zetatalk.com...

There is no doubt the ham community can set up internet type links especially via VHF, packet radio and repeaters, ie no sattelites, no land lines, no cable and in very short time. The infrastucture is in place in Australia, known asWICEN, and this organisation regularly provides emergency communicationss when everything else is down. A link with this community is a must for Troubled Times, and with the purpose fully explained expect real support and some amazing knowhow, especially with the "Heathrobinson" emergency makeshift gear.

It is possible to build a packet radio to patch into a VHF transmitter and computer. Via ham repeaters "free" computer links and bulletin boards were in regular use long before anyone had heard of the internet. Today hams have taken this to an art form worthy of better understanding. A survival site should have a tower and a good VHF antenna that can work many stations simplex and many more via repeater. Web sites such as Iphone are available with pertinent information.

The way radio frequency propagation works is that with HF (high frequency, i.e. from 1 meg to 30 meg) most long distance short wave ham radio takes advantage of bouncing such radio frequencies off the Ionosphere. This is used for best long distance results, and a great favorite of hams, but these frequencies would not be useful with upper atmosphere interference. But VHF and UHF are much higher frequencies and do not bounce off the ionosphere - they go straight through it! Thus they are not so affected by disturbances in the upper atmosphere. My best guess is there might be some problems, but VHF would get through and UHF is even better.

A packet terminal node connector sits between the transmitter and the computer, and does not know what frequencies the operator is using any way. It is being used right now world wide with great results by tens of thousands of hams.

Authored by Darryl.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fessor
Hello ATS,(my first reply)

,, I was reading this post(and I had to join) and thought old teck ,,,ham radio (packet radio), there is hope and we can even set it up world wide It may be a little slow now, but when it was invented it was at its peek technology in hardware and software,,lets see if some of The ATS family would like to try a small experiment with me in packet radio,I am at the east cost of canada, pm me ..

,,here is a copy and paste from www.zetatalk.com...

There is no doubt the ham community can set up internet type links especially via VHF, packet radio and repeaters, ie no sattelites, no land lines, no cable and in very short time. The infrastucture is in place in Australia, known asWICEN, and this organisation regularly provides emergency communicationss when everything else is down. A link with this community is a must for Troubled Times, and with the purpose fully explained expect real support and some amazing knowhow, especially with the "Heathrobinson" emergency makeshift gear.

It is possible to build a packet radio to patch into a VHF transmitter and computer. Via ham repeaters "free" computer links and bulletin boards were in regular use long before anyone had heard of the internet. Today hams have taken this to an art form worthy of better understanding. A survival site should have a tower and a good VHF antenna that can work many stations simplex and many more via repeater. Web sites such as Iphone are available with pertinent information.

The way radio frequency propagation works is that with HF (high frequency, i.e. from 1 meg to 30 meg) most long distance short wave ham radio takes advantage of bouncing such radio frequencies off the Ionosphere. This is used for best long distance results, and a great favorite of hams, but these frequencies would not be useful with upper atmosphere interference. But VHF and UHF are much higher frequencies and do not bounce off the ionosphere - they go straight through it! Thus they are not so affected by disturbances in the upper atmosphere. My best guess is there might be some problems, but VHF would get through and UHF is even better.

A packet terminal node connector sits between the transmitter and the computer, and does not know what frequencies the operator is using any way. It is being used right now world wide with great results by tens of thousands of hams.

Authored by Darryl.

Also,, the feds dont like it but you can get packet radio to run on the frs/gmrs radio network,,,

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by billxam
I ran a dial in BBS from a Commodore 64 before the internet started. With a wi-fi card and a really good wide area access point, this can be done with some knowledge of networking.

I ran a 24/7 video stream from our house before a totalitarian association decided that my information was "dangerous". Of course, the entire structure is in place for use in a SHTF situation as a mesh network. PM me and I can do a walk through of what's needed to do it.

This is a very important way to distribute communications.

Yup this could be done, although a bunch of AP's acting as repeaters would be required and you need a AM Radio license to be able to push more than 2 watts in 2.4ghz band. But without the cash we'd need need to built powerful full-duplex antennafiers... Not everyone has the knowledge required to do nowadays...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
So USA holds the key to the whole Internet? damn...Im from UK so i hope whatever America does somehow doesnt affect us. If i didnt have the internet, Id probally die from boredom.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamount
It's back to Morse code.

Pigeons you whipper snapper!!

By the way, there was a humorous story done in Australia a while back that compared Telstra broadband with a carrier pigeon to transmit 700mb of data across a set distance.

Telstra timed out, wouldn't hit the maximum speeds, and eventually never completed the tansfer.

The pigeon beat the car that was also sent at the time.

Carrier pigeon with a sd card, car with usb stick, broadband direct packets..

Lol

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DamaSan
You know, even if the SHTF scenario never comes... an organically grown digital infrastructure built by the masses would give the telco giants such as AT&T, Comcast, and Level 3 a run for their money.

Just imagine if all the copper wires, fiber, and wireless links that create the internet was owned by no one person.

Exactly, take the power away from the telcos, distribute the packets ourselved, each one a node.. Just like a wide area network, only public and easily contactable just by peer to peer access via our neighbours.

We're not there yet in terms of reliable technology and speeds, but hell, when I pop in my wireless usb stick, I piuck up 4 or 5 others neighbours. They are all secure obviously, no access, but the potential...

I see that taking off at some point, free connectivity to make our own intranet. Screw google!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

I do agree,, but lets think easier and cheaper...for example if my gov were to shut my internet down and i could not communicate ..I would not have any problems in hacking a frs radio to do packet data transfer(short range,cheap and easy)(google it)

Now lets say there is at least one guy in every town who has a ham radio and all the antenna gear ,who can communicate outside the town or city,,,My pc transferring data over a frs radio,,the guy with the ham radio also has frs and his computer can receive my data and resend it out over vhf packet radio at a greater distance,,we could create small frs radio networks to connect to vhf hubs that can connect world wide....( we need all the ATS radio guys to get together to start a conversation about undertaking a project like this, instead of just brushing it off..)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by maddogron

Excellent information that is a MUST for everyone for the days of Martial Law will be coming.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

In the not so Distant Future Hopefully this doesn't happen or should it be used it against them

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I'm thinking Blackberry Rim Servers. There is always a way to connect to the Rim Servers in Canada, if not Canada try another country. The good thing about Blackberry is there not Apple.

There is one reason I have blackberry and that is , there is always a way to get internet service, even if your local internet is down, An unlock Blackberry is a must have for your survival kit. you don't even need data for the phone to work. WIFI will still work on blackberry without data. you just have to know how to configure it that way. You would still need a wifi connection, there is a way around that. Think Sub bands.

edit on 14-2-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Cellular Sub Band Frequencies could be used as well. you can pick the transmitters off old cell analog wireless alarms systems and boost the signal with an amplifier, install an easy digital conversion board or keep it anaglog for greater range. The antennas could use the 800 Mhz spectrum for wireless. You can pick up a Yaggie with this range or use your old GM onstar antenna that is also in the 800Hmz range for mobility in you car or truck. Become a mobile WIFI station. If you need a GPS tap the the old GM onstar GPS box with the older type map software.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This is all very interesting, but I do have to look into it more.

But, here's what i'd like to see. We here on ATS have a great many intelligent peeps, and it would be nice to know there is a network available that we could use a dial-up entry to incase the regular way to access the internet is taken away from us. I'd feel lost without being able to connect into ATS and see what everyone was thinking about a circumstance, especially if it's something major going on. But, I think we need to get on this now, and get the word out to organize it as an emergency line incase everything we talk about becomes true!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I've been thinking about an "ad hoc" internet for quite some time.

We don't need to be running through a regulated pipe, and paying for an Internet from an ISP when our tax dollars built the infrastructure.

An alternative, I think, is to use the same technology as is used in Peer to Peer networks: when you "join" the Ad Hoc network, the connection to you is stored in a lookup table, Everyone joining, helps distribute and connect, much the way DNS servers propagate IP addresses connected with URLs (website names).

Using Wi-Max, people could create a wireless internet, one neighborhood at a time.

There would need to be strategies for caching of data (becoming a member would require storing some off-fetched files), and routing people with algorithms designed to deliver the most direct connection.

The latency would probably be much higher -- but it would be free to use, and good for moving files and news -- not very good for gaming and video-conferencing.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
The problem with even the best small network equipment is the DHCP system has a limit of 255 computers on one network.

If you want to get your own wide area network going with more than that….. then……

Learn about layer 3 routers.
Learn about RIP protocol routing.
Learn about netmasks
Learn about subnets.
Learn about DHCP.
Learn about edge routers.
If you want to just use raw IP’s then fine. If not, then learn about setting up your own DNS.

For long distance connectivity, go with mini DSLAM’s
www.buy.com...

They will support DSL speeds at distances of a mile or more over a simple twisted pair connection. All the end user has to have is a DSL modem.

And get some place for them to go when they get on the system.

A collection of useful software is the turnkey linux website.

www.turnkeylinux.org...

Web appliances. Pre set up packages. Just load it onto a computer and you have a web server.

I really like the PHPBB one. A web forum ready to go. All you have to do is log on and set up the groups you want to have. Connect it to the network, and anyone on the network can go to the IP address and discuss what is going on in the neighborhood.

I suggest you download a few and try them. they are literally plug and play.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The internet? That thing still around?

All joking aside, I have a plan that will allow me to access the internet always. I'm friends with Al Gore. Kidding again. It's all about satellite equipment. You can't stop the signal.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
One of the methods used to "Shutdown" the Internet in Egypt was to take the primary DNS servers off-line. Doing this prevented users from accessing websites via the website name ( e.g., www.abcd.com ). However, this did not prevent an estimated 15% of users from switching to an alternative DNS and restoring access to sites within Egypt ( International network traffic was blocked using a different method ).

The DNS shutdown also did not prevent users from accessing (Egyptian based) websites via their IP Address.

I have written a post on it here
edit on 14-2-2011 by V3isM3 because: Fix typo & add info

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

is that the whole internet ?, or just the states. i dont have any idea how the internet works, i just use it lol

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by speedmaster

Without the internet, my job would be in jeopardy but let's look at the good side.

I'd spend more time with my family - and they would too. We're too jacked-in to the internet now at the expense of our own personal relationships. Two weeks ago, internet was out for a day and school was out and my two teenage kids spend just about the whole day playing together and having a great time. Best day of the year so far, if you ask me. I sat and talked with my wife more that day than usual.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join