It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

get internet access when your government shuts it down

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+58 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
due to all the talk about a "internet kill switch" i thought this would be a good read for this thread. "These days, no popular movement goes without an Internet presence of some kind, whether it's organizing on Facebook or spreading the word through Twitter. And as we've seen in Egypt, that means that your Internet connection can be the first to go".
i am no tech guru, but i know that part of community survival is actual communicating to each other. i hope to never use this technology, but knowledge is good.

obama internet "kill switch"...

PC world article "internet access..."

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
S&F good find op!! bump.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
people should start organizing, perhaps have small groups of people hosting long range wi-fi networks.along.

And run tests every now and then, kind of like the emergency broadcast system. If anyone is willing to do that, I offer my help in any way I can, I only have minor network knowledge, but I am sure I can contribute to help such a project

People are doing it, but more people should get involved.

Wikipedia link on long range wi-fi

Also perhaps a server coalition would be nice.
edit on 13-2-2011 by Majestic Lumen because: Link

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Very nice op!

A genuinely informative article with stuff I didn't know in it!
Big virtual pat on the back for you

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic Lumen
people should start organizing, perhaps have small groups of people hosting long range wi-fi networks.along.

And run tests every now and then, kind of like the emergency broadcast system. If anyone is willing to do that, I offer my help in any way I can, I only have minor network knowledge, but I am sure I can contribute to help such a project

People are doing it, but more people should get involved.

Wikipedia link on long range wi-fi

Also perhaps a server coalition would be nice.
edit on 13-2-2011 by Majestic Lumen because: Link

That is one of the best ideas I have heard on here in awhile!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I ran a dial in BBS from a Commodore 64 before the internet started. With a wi-fi card and a really good wide area access point, this can be done with some knowledge of networking.

I ran a 24/7 video stream from our house before a totalitarian association decided that my information was "dangerous". Of course, the entire structure is in place for use in a SHTF situation as a mesh network. PM me and I can do a walk through of what's needed to do it.

This is a very important way to distribute communications.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is good info and needs to be distributed to every one. I glanced at the article and it looks like a useful spring board, I hope it can be refined to the point that us non techsavy humans can use that knowledge too.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
While the topic is hot;

Use something like this (my personal favorite), so you have long distance wireless communications.

What I get from the software manufacturer about this wireless mesh system that they've developed:

On your computer, you're going to running it as a server with a captive portal (when a connected user starts their web browser the web page that you're serving will come up, not their home page) you can have chat, survival information files, articles, a web cam - almost any type of communications - available. As the mesh network grows, all the users downstream would get the same information, (provided they have the driver installed over their wireless driver). The software in the OP should suffice. The idea is a stand alone captive portal that does not rely on the internet. You want to keep the internet out of the picture so the network is not on the radar. Thus, you have a survival/local communication mesh network in place.

In theory, if there are users within range of other users, the thing could span from coast to coast.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Instead of PM's, why not just put a how-to right in this thread(or start your own). The link in the op is good for general ideas of how things might get around loss of internet connection, but doesn't have enough details for us lacking tech savyness.
After reading the op, I realized I would be better off with smoke signals then trying to start or even access a network like described in my rural area.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by PplVSNWO
reply to post by billxam

Instead of PM's, why not just put a how-to right in this thread(or start your own). The link in the op is good for general ideas of how things might get around loss of internet connection, but doesn't have enough details for us lacking tech savyness.

Computers all have their own distinct personalities depending on manufacturer, hardware, revisions, updates. So a catch all article would be a series of generalizations that would evoke questions that would be non-sequitur to most other users

If the mods can do a sticky or something, we can have several of us that are network savvy do the posts, etc.. I'm more than willing to volunteer for the effort - it's a good plan to have in place. Besides, it can be used at any time not just in an emergency. What we should do first is get the system running in house and then we can base any advice and information on that setup. I'll start working on it here using a few of the computers I have laying around and my laptop.

The possibilities are literally endless for the uses of the system. Imagine an entire ad hoc network spanning hundreds of miles.

Term to remember: Captive portal. When you go to a cafe' with internet access, they will frequently have a splash or web page that "hijacks" your browser displaying a web page for logging onto or paying for the service before releasing you to the network/internet at large.

Short list of thoughts:

*Specific channel, not auto select.

*Wireless network card with external wlan antenna.

*Network setup - sounds like the master (server) computer needs to have the purchased software to establish a base unit. I'll email the company and engage in a conversation with them.

*Captive portal design. Easily done on any Win computer. I've got all the software to do it. Use AnalogX simpleserver for this.

*Dedicate a stripped down computer for this - no word processors, background processes, etc.. Think coffee shop internet portal here - that would work, probably the best and easiest.

*Master (server) should have the following requirements:
1. Highest ground or able to have antenna mast (lightning protection a must).
2. Able to have running 24/7. Think low power computer (old 486 or some such).
3. May be able to use wireless access point (see my previous post) instead of server for captive portal.
4. Beware of government intrusion. Use passwords, logins. Group should assign a background check person for this.

That's all for now, that should get us started.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I have to add a single thought...

do not forget jammers and locators... yall facing the big boys and they will play dirty... if the game warden can track when you use shock devices on fish I am pretty sure the feds will be able to hunt broadcast points...

listen all your cell phones are is evovled two way radios off of ham radio operators... you will want to include portable transmitters...

look into the ham radio operators,

and remember just because your paranoid does not mean you are wrong...

some great post here...

great idea op s and f

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by maddogron

when shtf there is no reason to google how to fasten a tie, no offense but we should be focusing on communiction through other methods, and we should get everything we need before it happens

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Being able to locate the signal and being able to log on are two different things. I'd be inclined to use a very large random password - the more characters, the harder to crack. Of course, the software that is in the OP is commercial and may "be fixed". But there are other methods to achieve the same result, mostly via an outdoor access point and locking it down with encryption. Still worried? Easy to make a highly directional antenna with a Pringles can. That brings us to two wireless cards per computer. User A points to user B, user B points to user C and A, user C points to user B and D, etc., etc. Same idea, different way of getting to the end result.

Short of strings and tin cans, there is a way for any information transfer to be tracked. Coding everything would be another way to go until the front door busts in on one of the members and it's all compromised. But if you're that far up on the food chain during a SHTF, good luck to us all.

Another thought. Run the wireless access point from solar and a deep cycle battery from a remote location. Directional antennas for everyone to one point. Reduces the wireless cards to one each.

Edited to add: Wi-fi is blocked by trees and structures. There are antennas that rotate the wavelength (think a series of matchsticks rotating through the air instead of all the same direction) for extra distance. Suggest mounting remote access point in trees, mounted just above canopy. Paint green or use plastic leaves for Ghillie effect.

edit on 13-2-2011 by billxam because: add information to end of post.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Anything thing can be traced and cracked...goverments have learned that and continually want to think others have not learned from old history... codes are all broken...

It is just basic security... Because half of what I have read makes no sense online over this part... the key system make no sense because you use it to log in elsewhere... the crook just has to catch at the store instead of home analogy...

the main issue is they will block the access out of country... in country they can control, this is what I am refering to. it has to have a link out of country otherwise all you have created is a monitored intranet...

It is what I would do... let people think most of their email is still up and webpages good to go... leave some links down 404ed... control as you go... even the pings would be the same...

hence portable transmitters... they would allow outside confirmation of links...

I just did not like the idea of their being no words of this mentioned.... also I think they would have to face a lot of hackers... this scenario left that out... Id say about two weeks post shutdowns free hackers inside side break it...

outside maybe a week....

The channel markers are easy to read... I will not post those but I will start with the easy ones...

Government starts fishing for scenarios over how to do it...

Government steers conversation in the directions it will go...then to 1984 scenarios... you cant think of exterior of the box their is no outside the box...

thank you for your time...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Thanks. Always nice to know the little ways around a government that might choose to really show it's angry head should the people not stand up for what is right, and what we stand for. Nice links as well.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This is a great idea. Post more like it, your thinking on the right track! S+F

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm not sure I agree with the hacking angle of this idea. In a SHTF situation, I doubt the hackers will - how shall I put this - be in a specific area in good health for an extended length of time. There aren't a lot of us out here that have both the outdoor skills and tech savvy to pull of a successful undercover hack in a neighborhood where a group communicating like this is likely to be.

In the situations that we're talking about (you can see this happening right now if you sit back and look at it) the main focus of the government will be to prevent information exchange and gatherings. Primary methodology will be to prevent travel. Think lack of fuel to run vehicles and generators either through high prices or shortages (off topic: the recent news of "great new drilling method" is a red herring. Those lands are locked up by the feds.), check points on roadways, helicopter patrols. Next and probably primary to the travel would be the internet, cell phone (smartphones) and landline disruptions.

Hackers (and government agents) need to get to the position of signal interception physically. It isn't going to be satellites or from the air. The signals just aren't strong enough. A real, real good private signal will go at most 1 mile if there aren't any trees or buildings. A roving vehicle or group is very likely to trip and fall if found sneaking around. Any group worth surviving will have the area patrolled or under surveillance.

While keeping in mind that there is a possibility of hacking and government monitoring, I would say that the chances are remote. Of course now that we've all talked about it we're on the short list so they know where we are right.........now.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by billxam
While the topic is hot;

Use something like this (my personal favorite), so you have long distance wireless communications.

What I get from the software manufacturer about this wireless mesh system that they've developed:

On your computer, you're going to running it as a server with a captive portal (when a connected user starts their web browser the web page that you're serving will come up, not their home page) you can have chat, survival information files, articles, a web cam - almost any type of communications - available. As the mesh network grows, all the users downstream would get the same information, (provided they have the driver installed over their wireless driver). The software in the OP should suffice. The idea is a stand alone captive portal that does not rely on the internet. You want to keep the internet out of the picture so the network is not on the radar. Thus, you have a survival/local communication mesh network in place.

In theory, if there are users within range of other users, the thing could span from coast to coast.

Thanks for the link. I plan on looking much more into this. Look foreward to seeing more posts on this from you.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by maddogron
i am no tech guru, but i know that part of community survival is actual communicating to each other. i hope to never use this technology, but knowledge is good.

PC world article "internet access..."

Get Internet Access When Your Government Shuts It Down

PC world, wow. That is a conspiracy in itself. I can 't believe Pc world have put out an article of this nature, I always thought they were a part of the governbent corporation. I will go back and star/flag you. Thanks

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
S&F
good find ..... BUT I doubt any of us will take our time to go on the Internet when SHTF .... especially those live in urban and suburban area like myself.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join