It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

get internet access when your government shuts it down

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This can be useful for a variety of situations man made or natural.
Way to stay on the prowl.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
buzzz bizz buzzz.
the old telephone modem.
there must be a way to use PC with the modem.
just link it to a phone and you have one to one internet.
thats if the phones are still on.
and there must be a way to use a mobile with bluetooth.
link't to a PC. and the mobile connects to a satalight.
in europ it may be posible to link to othere #rys satalights.
yes it would be slow.
but as it is sent to a second computer.
that computer then sends it to a second computer.
1/2/4/8/16/32.....

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
thanks for the great resource. copy and pasted onto the HD.

I'd have to swing a vote on the Hamm radio side too when TSGD.
it would be a great way of communication. they are efficient and have long range capability.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
www.open-mesh.com

All you tech heads should check up on Open Mesh for the purposes of a public, ad hoc network. The Open Mesh system is non-vendor specific, and is based on the same MIT code project that gave birth to Meraki.

You can take an Open Mesh radio, a Ubiquiti radio, an Anaptyx radio, or even some Linksys and D-Link radios, flash them with the Open Mesh firmware, and you are off to the races.

The Open Mesh system is a self healing, self forming, self configured mesh network on an 802.11a/b/g/n Single Channel Architecture (SCA). You can use gear with a single radio, where all user access and backhauling occurs on the same medium, or you can get dual-radio gear that provides user access on one radio, and backhauling on the other.

Captive portal is built-in to the Open Mesh system. You can customize the page using built-in templates, or create your own. You can also elect to use the Coova captive portal system. You can provide free access to users, charge a fee, provide vouchers, etc.

The Open Mesh system provides two separate SSIDs - a Public and a Private. The public network can be rate limited, allowing you to set the maximum upload/download speeds. You can enable AP Isolation, making it virtually impossible for wireless clients to talk to each other on the same network (to prevent local network hacks). The system keeps up with usage per client, and keeps track of their MAC addresses.

The private side can be configured to bridge to the local LAN, or run NAT to keep things separate. You can even specify a VLAN for the wireless traffic to run in. The private and public sides have separate passwords, and both use WPA.

The mesh can be fed by a single internet connection, or by many. If everyone in your neighborhood installed an Open Mesh AP on the same "network", then your mesh network would be fed by everyone's internet connection. If you get on the wireless, the mesh will dynamically route your traffic out the best internet connection based on network load, connection outages, AP outages, etc.

There is plenty more to look at, but I think I've said enough to get you interested.

To my fellow network engineers, I realize that there are far better solutions for wireless access available than just this... however the Open Mesh system seems best for the purposes of creating a far-reaching, public, ad hoc network. The network isn't vendor locked, the code is freely available, the gear to run it is very cheap (as little as $25!), and it works.

Now, if you are building out a commercial/enterprise wireless network, I recommend you take a look at Ruckus Wireless. They have some new technology that is turning heads and causing a stir in the wireless industry.
edit on 13-2-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by locololo
reply to post by maddogron

when shtf there is no reason to google how to fasten a tie, no offense but we should be focusing on communiction through other methods, and we should get everything we need before it happens

I agree to an extent, but I do like the wireless mesh idea, without the Master Server implementation however, more as a peer to peer network, because otherwise you're just asking for trouble, master goes down, gets taken out, all connectivity ceases - defeats the purpose if you ask me.

Why I agree to a degree, well... 17 years ago, this is how things were to most people...

Bryant Gumble and Katie Couric Don't know what the Internet is in 1994.

"What is internet???"

People have really just become too reliant on it for the basics...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by locololo

if the internet is down the Cell system will be down...magic jack will be down..how many of us are all wireless? My hand is up....$30 bucks a month to Ma Bell for what?.....and with that bill goes the hard wire commo, gone....you are right!! details I didnt think about....I will admit most or all of my friends dont buy into TSHTF theory....so now what?you know I dont think land line will work either...Memory coming back, I was in southern oregon and we had an earthquake. I had no clue as to where is come from and it was common for them over on the coast. I tried to call my son thinking that if I had felt it where I was then they were hit worse. It appears a lot of people had the same idea cause I couldnt complete the call, a land line call........
edit on 13-2-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: add content

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
thanks for the encouraging remarks... i really do not know how this new world order game will end up but i intend to stand on a hill and face the evil winds with a brave face and know that there is like minds out there in the internet world.. thanks ATS!! DENY IGNORANCE..

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It's back to Morse code.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Thank you for pointing these techniques out to people. I have been trying to convince people the internet kill switch would not work because of the very design of the internet combined with alternative techniques such as these - all this time I should have been teaching techniques instead of getting around it instead of trying to push the conclusion that it wont work.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Royal76

maybe smoke signals and morris code would be the way to go?

Ex

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This thread is the reason I love ATS!
Learning something new just blows billowing winds up my skirt

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by billxam

I would be in on this. I believe the best scenario for setup would be a combination of ham and systems described here. Ham could cover the long distances while the other technologies could be used for the clusters. Due to the nature of this setup, information would be somewhat limited, but what do you really need to be communicated other than simple language. Encryption is key as well as being able to prevent someone from communicating false information.

Anyway, I suggest we take the topic offlline and approach each other via u2u then email. If anyone is game, let's start the process.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
You’re gonna, have to use an offshore access point.
www.ts2.pl...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I agree if everyone began using wireless mesh network (WMN) there would be no centralization no pyramid to sit atop and give orders from.

Research and support wireless mesh network technology and the open source projects going on right now. These are the tools of freedom of the future. Personally my opinion is if you go through life deferring your power to someone and never learning what your potential is. You have no ground to stand on when they decide to take it away.

You have the ability to make a difference now today before your rights are all dominated. You know what? If you support this evolution of the net you will be supporting innovation, ingenuity and doing your small Part to protect your freedom and the freedom of your children.

People who seek power over others will always try to find new ways to control. This should never be a surprise. Recognize it as the nature of the beast. being angry at this sort of human creature for following their nature is like being angry at a snake when it bites you.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The cyberweapon that could take down the internet

You mean they are already working on it?

A new cyberweapon could take down the entire internet – and there's not much that current defences can do to stop it. So say Max Schuchard at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and his colleagues, the masterminds who have created the digital ordnance. But thankfully they have no intention of destroying the net just yet. Instead, they are suggesting improvements to its defences.

New scientist

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol
I have to add a single thought...

do not forget jammers and locators... yall facing the big boys and they will play dirty... if the game warden can track when you use shock devices on fish I am pretty sure the feds will be able to hunt broadcast points...

listen all your cell phones are is evovled two way radios off of ham radio operators... you will want to include portable transmitters...

look into the ham radio operators,

and remember just because your paranoid does not mean you are wrong...

some great post here...

great idea op s and f

I thought it would be too hard to do somehting like this but if you can do it then great. I still think radio is going to reach more people in a disaster situation. We should also set up a guerilla network radio.

Pirate radio can be one of the most effective tools we have in our arsenal beyond a good web presence, we can own that media and even reach people who are too poor to afford a computer or MP3 player. Now use the skills we teach elsewhere to fill the waves with content entertaining and informative enough to warrant the effort of tweaking the FCC's nose.

"Money or time properly invested in building or buying quality transmitting hardware and antenna is not wasted, there is less chance of complaints against a station that stays on frequency and does not bleed over. Most propaganda against low power radio brings examples of small stations using low quality transmitters which interfere with other nearby stations. Once you get some listeners you will want dump the junk to upgrade a quality stable VFO that will not drift frequencies or have distorted sound. With our instructions you should be able to make a really good pirate station in under a week for between $50 and $100 for everything except the hospital bill from falling off of your tower. "
wiki.stealthiswiki.org...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

There are two sides to all of this: the Access Layer and the Distribution Layer

Everyone has the ability to connect to wireless and ethernet. The access layer of the post-SHTF internet will likely need to focus on these 802.3 and 802.11 technologies since everyone can already connect to them. People can run ethernet (or fiber) between homes and buildings and/or setup 802.11 mesh networks to get everyone connected to each other in an area.

Once everyone has a local network to plug into, there's the question of feeding the network at the distribution layer. We should assume that there won't be any US based ISPs that can be used or are worth using. We'll have to come up with our own means of interconnecting our various ad hoc networks together. This is where satellite, HAM, and other RF technologies come into play.

The people can build out a traditional ad hoc network in local areas at the access layer, then satellite, wireless, and HAM-type communications can bridge the gap between these local access networks, interconnecting them to each other and to friendly foreign networks. The small local networks can be bridged to nearby local networks using point-to-point 802.11 and 802.16 wireless solutions, and these clusters of networks can bridge the long-distance gaps with satellite and HAM.

So again, there is the ACCESS layer and the DISTRIBUTION layer. The masses should focus on setting up these ad hoc mesh networks, while the network and RF engineers focus on ways to interconnect and feed all of these networks. If we are to have our own distributed internet-type of network after the SHTF, then we need to plan for it and get the gear in place now. Once the SHTF, it will be hard to get networking gear and, of course, communication/coordination with others will be difficult.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
you might find some interesting things also in the reply posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good reading. especially the Data Drops.

Have fun.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by yrwehere1
reply to post by Royal76

maybe smoke signals and morris code would be the way to go?

smoke signals??... with all the chemtrails, BP oil smoke, falling birds, ufo's... do you really think you would understand the message?... and morris code... dunno...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You know, even if the SHTF scenario never comes... an organically grown digital infrastructure built by the masses would give the telco giants such as AT&T, Comcast, and Level 3 a run for their money.

Just imagine if all the copper wires, fiber, and wireless links that create the internet was owned by no one person.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join