It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do so many refuse to use the search?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Ive been noticing a trend recently where there are MULTIPLE threads about exactly the same thing...even the titles for the most part are identical.

Ive seen the live New Threads bar thing be filled with multiple threads all talking about the same thing

Just now therehave been 4 threads about the temple mount UFO...and despite showing evidence to prove they are faked the users are still awarded stars and flags.

I thought you recieved stars for good information thats not proven to be a hoax??

Thats my rant lol

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I have used the search and not found topics that apparently had been authored prior to mine(usually about 5 minutes or so time difference). It is irritating as hell to go and set up a topic after searching, just to have all your work deleted. I can only assume that there must be a time delay on the search function.

Edit: Honestly, it is pretty demoralizing when it happens. It is one of the reasons I don't submit as many threads as I would like. I am always crawling a variety of news sites when I am traveling(gotta kill time in the airports or on the planes or wherever I am stuck at that moment) and find many interesting topics. I think about posting them, but often don't even bother to search thinking that I may not find it now, but it might get posted just as I finish and I have just wasted more time.
edit on 2-2-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

I have several theories regarding this "issues" within ATS.

1) People post duplicates because they are in a "rush" to beat peers to the "topic" in such cases as breaking news or recent news.

2) ATS has pretty much discussed/presented everything under the sun, above the sun, around, behind, and parallel dimension to the sun...not much room left for "new threads" at all when considering this. So many post threads on "duplicate" topics because they don't feel like resurrecting the proverbial dead horse in a thread 5 years old and 600 pages deep.

3) a percentage are just that lazy and would rather put the effort into posting a thread that might be a duplicate and might get deleted as opposed to "searching" to see if they should bother.

4) the search function isn't 100% reliable (from my own experience)

I think its a mix of all 4 of those things...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Yea i suppose it could be a mix of all 4. But when stories have been posted days in advance the time delay would surely not be an issue.

grrrr got some crumbs under my keys making it hard to type lol....time to clean the keyboard

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
its funny you say this, because im sure theres been a thread about people whinging about people not using the search
!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Perhaps when we have the situation where 2 threads are posted within minutes of each other, the mods could combine them? That has to be a better solution imo.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
the search isn't great I was trying to find a thread for ages via the search until someone else pointed it out, I use the google search facility on a few of my own websites and depending on the way your site is set up it may not search thread titles and only scan the content.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
In my experience the search function on this site sucks. That is my opinion.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by questcequecest
its funny you say this, because im sure theres been a thread about people whinging about people not using the search
!!!

Haha this is a RANT.....people will rant about the same things.
This is not a thread about a specific story that has been covered OVER and OVER again.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Search here is kind of borked. I find that I have better luck using Google or Bing to search ATS than ATS's own native search function.

There are a few sites are still worse that way, but most of the common bulletinboard/forum format ones seem to have figured it out. It seems that it's primarily the sites that try to get too fancy with the scripting and layout are the ones that fail when it comes to certain aspects of basic functionality.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

I know what you mean, its so simple and I get that the results that I need.

p.s check your u2u inbox I have sent instructions on how to do upload your avatar.

new topics

top topics

join