It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jordan's king dismisses government, appoints new PM

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Jordan's king dismisses government, appoints new PM

edition.cnn.com

- The king of Jordan dismissed his government Tuesday and appointed a new prime minister, a move follows protests calling for political reform.

King Abdullah II asked Marouf Al Bakhit to form a government that will implement "genuine political reform," the Royal Court said in a statement.

The government will "take practical steps, quick and concrete, to launch a process of genuine political reform, comprehensive development, and take genuine steps towards strengthening democracy," among other tasks, according to Al Bakhit's letter of instruction, which was also released.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Well, let's see how this works out for King Abdullah II. There have been protests in Amman and a few other cities throughout the county. He has scrapped the cabinet and PM, appointed a new PM who will form a new government and "strengthen" democracy.

It will be interesting to see how this strategy works compared to Egypt. The King appears to be listening, although it also quite obvious he just took the advice that was being thrown at Mubarak.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Wow. Now that's a real measure of just how scared the region's autocrats are. Next up is Syria where demonstrations are planned to start on Feb 5. Algeria will follow. The real wildcard will be if the Saudi people get restless. However, I doubt the Saudi's will change. Their government is the most ruthless, their power the greatest, their popluation much smaller and poverty is far less a problem than the nation's of North Africa.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Yes, sure is getting really interesting.

I'm still not convinced that Saudi will go, the people seem very happy with their bribe.

There is of the coarse the Wahabi faction, which would absolutely not be our interests and if they took power, or were voted in, I definitely see US military action.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I wouldnt say that its obvious that the King of Jordan would need to take the advice being thrown at the president of a completely different nation. For one thing the issues Jordanians have are not the same as the issues that Egyptians have, so the same remedy would not work.
Second of all , if he was actualy following the advice being thrown at Mubarak , then rather than reorganising the government, he would merely hand the crown to the next in line , and dissapear, which I do not believe would be in the best interests of the people.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Demonstrations already sweeping Saudi Arabia right now.....

Lets hope Syria is next and I understand one in Syria is planned for this week

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I've heard of demonstrations in other countries. So far Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan are effected with the governments dissolved. Is there in riot or protest information coming out of Saudi Arabia or other nations. Links?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
maybe one thing they need to do is get rid of the king having the right to just change the government as he please. that sounds like reform to me

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by KonigKaos

demonstrations, not riots in Saudi Arabia........and thousands demonstrating in Jordan right now too

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
but it's still a dictatorship
if the officials are not democratically
elected by voting of the populace
so what good would this do ???
Is the new PM gonna have free
elections? Or is he to select
somebody ???

I call this preventative maintenance.
edit on 2/1/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
interesting to say the least ....

i wish our king would do that . but hes just a puppet for the norwegian government ....

i hope this helps the people of Jordan

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I don't know what the point is of a King "dismissing his government", isn't the king himself the government?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Ok, this muslim rebel stuff is starting to get old. so, the King is doing what is failing in Egypt... interesting...
Tunisia, Egypt. and now Jordan .... I fear this is only the beginning -- and I still dont have a clue, we are
intentionally causing food inflation... by wasting corn on ethanol. Monsanto Seeds... Chemtrails (Oh, forgot to mention the connection I discovered..... Chemtrails are dispersing chemicals..... and we have reports of Halograms... I wonder if Chemtrails put something in the Atmosphere that allows this Halogram Projector on the ISS to work..... interesting huh,,,, get ready for Jesus Christ ---- and if that doesnt work .... get ready for Alien Invasion.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I hope this manages to maintain stability in the country, tho I think the main difference (my understanding) is that the King and Queen are liked by the people a bit more than say, Mubarak is by his.

I wonder if it will male a difference that the King is of British/Arabic decent, and he is still Colonel in Chief of the Light Dragoons (his former regiment)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Wow. Very interesting indeed. The question I'd ask is, is it that the king appears to be listening or is it more the king appears to be falling into step with a plan? There's way more to this whole ME situation than we're going to be able to put together for a while. Crazy fascinating to watch all this unfold..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Interestingly enough what I am more or less detecting here is an effort to protect the Status Quo of the Camp David Accords that set Egypt and Jordan up to be two peaceful and strategically important neighbors of Israel.

Wile Israel is our biggest foreign aide out lay, Egypt and Jordan are each paid handsomely each year too coming in 2 and 3 on the list, to more or less keep peaceful realtions with Israel.

It seems like the dubious and stubborn insistence on the U.S.'s part to stand by Mubarak, as well as the preemptive move that the King of Jordan are taking is to ensure that governments remain in power that are predisposed to peace with Israel.

While it won't be said publicly, behind the scenes I am willing to bet most of the International Diplomacy going on in regards to this crisis is factoring in the Camp David Accords heavily as a Status Quo to be protected at all costs.

With a new Hizbollah government in Lebanon Israel would be hard pressed to find pro-Islamic regimes suddenly pop up in Egypt and Jordan.

It could in essence find itself surrounded again by nothing but openly hostile neighbors and that's something that the powerful Israeli Lobby and the American State Department would not want.

This appears a preemptive move on Jordan's part to primarily more than anything protect Israel.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Kings and Queens must also go

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It's a constitutional monarchy like several European countries, or Japan. Asking a PM to step down or form a new cabinet isn't really that big a deal, if you look at the history of such occurrences in other constitutional monarchies. In Jordan it seems (so far) to be about the recession and high-prices that are causing a backlash by the poor. The government and monarchy in Jordan have economically gutted the country. But I think there might be a little more beneath the surface... like the fact that this is another US ally being turned out.

King Abdullah (Jordan) and King Mohammed VI (Morocco) were two big supporters of the US's "rendition program" and all the CIA shenanigans that take place in the ME. Abdullah like Mubarak is among those factions that play international politics for their own enrichment but do little to nothing for their own people.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
Kings and Queens must also go

Perhaps it might be nice to let the Jordanians decide that for themselves!

And not all Tyrants are monarchs, Mubarak for instance is not Royal..

And I cringe at the thought of the UK being a Republic... *shudders imagining a President Blair*

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I still believe that in the end they will be gone

top topics

<<   2 >>

join