It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Homophobia Natural?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
WARNING! HIGHLY CONTRAVERCIAL CONTENT!!!

I would like to generate discussion on a topic considered taboo in most media.

To be considered a homophobe is totally unacceptable in todays societies outside of some religions anyway. The same can be said for racial bigotry, whilst there are those that espouse that being racist is an inbuilt self defence mechanism, an instinct that goes back to primal existance.

Could homophobia be another natural inbuilt mechanism for the continuation of our species and not just an indoctrinated form of intollerance?

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

I highly doubt that it's a natural thing.

For instance, take racism. When you were 5 did you see Doug the black kid as black? No you saw him as Doug.

Racism, Bigotry and all other forms of ridiculous behaviours/beliefs are learned from your environment.

Everybody is born with a clean slate. You are influenced by your environment when it comes to your moral code, beliefs etc..

That's my belief in any case.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I believe that homosexuality is natural; nature cognitively, so to speak, recognizes population overflow, and thus creates a deterrent for procreation. However, I think homophobia is just plain ignorance and stupidity. Homophobes=morons
edit on 26-1-2011 by ledzeppelin489 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2011 by ledzeppelin489 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Homo - man

phobia - fear

I don't fear men.

Why don't we call it what it is - homosexual aversion?

And in my neighborhood, a homosexual is not exactly the poster depiction of what we call a man.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
Homo - man

phobia - fear

I don't fear men.

Why don't we call it what it is - homosexual aversion?

And in my neighborhood, a homosexual is not exactly the poster depiction of what we call a man.

There's more criteria than having a penis to be labeled a man?

As far as I know male and female are determined by parts....

And the girly girl stereotype of gays, is well...a stereotype.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
My personal experience was growing up in a society where gays were not accepted and the fact that they were gay was their decision. Most likely because they were either weak, unathletic, sexually depraved, mentally ill, possessed or just couldnt get a girl.

Throughout my years of lifes lessons my beliefs and attitude toward gay men have changed, i am able to feel comfortable and act natural in their company and to accept them for who they are not what they are, something i considered impossible as a young man.

But i am repulsed at the idea of two men being intimate i cant help but wonder, is this a product of my environment or just a natural thing?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I think that if you're a moron then yes homophobia is natural, but for most people who have a genuine love and concern for others than any type of fear is unacceptable.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I think the word Homophobia is a misnomer to begin with. And the way it is applied in society is the same as the term "Anti-Semitic", meaning it is attributed to anyone who does not agree with the person applying the word or term.

The word implies Fear of Homosexuals, as if it is a medical condition like Agoraphobia or any other. In which case I find it is one of those words created for use in an Agenda.

So in this example we would find Homophobia is not natural because it does not describe a real health or mental illness. I say this not as a man afraid of homosexual men, and thus not Homophobic.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I wouldn't say that its natural to fear them, but I think think if you are straight, you might find it a turnoff, just like gays would find straight sex a turn off. I know for myself as a straight woman, I see two guys together and I think, "Aww what a cute couple" I see to females though, especially if they are kissing, and I find it utterly gross. Its a major turn off for me, but unfortunately some guys can't get that through their head. (sorry, mini rant)
Its not that I think its wrong, its just a natural reaction I have.
edit on 27-1-2011 by calstorm because: spelling error and grammar

edit on 27-1-2011 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
My personal experience was growing up in a society where gays were not accepted and the fact that they were gay was their decision. Most likely because they were either weak, unathletic, sexually depraved, mentally ill, possessed or just couldnt get a girl.

Throughout my years of lifes lessons my beliefs and attitude toward gay men have changed, i am able to feel comfortable and act natural in their company and to accept them for who they are not what they are, something i considered impossible as a young man.

But i am repulsed at the idea of two men being intimate i cant help but wonder, is this a product of my environment or just a natural thing?

Well good on your for growing up and learning to accept people.

And no I dont' think your repulsion of man on man sex is environmental. Your physical biology is set up different from homosexuals. You are aroused by women, they by men, you have no choice in the matter, neither do they.

So feeling repulsed by something that is non attractive for you is certainly normal. Although I don't really like the word repulsed in reference to that, it certainly is an appropriate term.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Yes i understand the literal sense of the word is fear of, but used inplace of dislike, unaccepted and even hatred of. Also i do not fear any unarmed man, except maybe Chuck Norris.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Homophobia is learned behaviour, imo, you only have to look through history and see the societies where homosexuality was accepted, even encouraged.
I personally don't get a buzz out of same sex action, but then again, I don't get off on lots of things, doesn't make it wrong and I don't judge anyone with different tastes, as long as they aren't hurting anyone then what's the problem?
If it's the thought of what they get up to in their bed's that repulses people, then maybe people should stop being pervy buggers and stop fantasizing about other peoples private sex lives.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
If gays are born gay why do a small percentage denounce their gayness and return to a more traditional lifestyle?
A relative of mine recently come out of the cupboard and this effected me and my attitudes, but the bit i dont understand is why his voice climbed three octives similtaniously?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Yes, I was confused about the Act of Camping it Up too. I've met many gay men and women in different countries, many of those played that Shock Tactic until they got to know me as a human being.. then they stopped the act and just let themselves be who they are... thankfully.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

This is a question that my husband and I have talked about several times. Why is it that a man is NOT repulsed by two women together - to the contrary, it's quite a turn-on to many - but two men together makes them want to wretch?? Here's my husband's theory (and I must agree).

Whenever a man watches other people having sexual relations (or thinks about it), the thought of the possibility of his participation in the act is a natural occurrence in his brain. In other words, he puts himself in the scenario. He thinks: That could be me. If he's watching a man and woman, he is almost imagining being the man. He mentally inserts himself into the scene... imagining how the woman would feel, smell, taste, etc.

Now, when a straight man sees or thinks of two men together, inserting himself into the scene causes a short circuit in the brain and repulsion ensues.
For there is no woman to concentrate his attention on. The only thing there to see are man parts. And ewww. Since he's straight, this is VERY unappealing to him.

It's one thing though, to be repulsed by the thought of two men together. As a woman, I'm not crazy about the thought either. It's quite another to be homophobic. That, as tenth explained, is a learned behavior, IMO.
edit on 1/27/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I've never figured out what there is to fear. Being raised in Vancouver, there are areas in that city where there are more gay people than in other areas. They're absolutely harmless, as much as anyone else anyways. It isn't catching. There's no "agenda".

No, it isn't natural. Homophobia is learned behaviour.

They're just people, like the rest of us. It's just as easy to say "no" to one gender as the other, if one was to ever come on to you. What is there to fear?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I am a left-leaner, with a beloved family member who is of non strait orientation, BUT like you, it REPULSES me. I am a woman, and I used to work as a security guard, occassionaly at receptionists 'posts' in corporate offices, and am single. Quite aggressively, I was hit on by lesbians a couple of times. One was a beautiful tall buxom blonde. And one girl in the military when I was serving. All I could think of, was how much I wanted to punch them in the nose.
Presently, I don't hate them, especially after my own family member came 'Out', but I harbor an aversion that is NOT a secret like, as so many propagandize is true. I am convinced there is an inbuilt aversion.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I don't understand what you mean by homophobia...if you mean hating homosexuals then no i think that stems out of ignorance and is irrational in nature. If you mean homophobia in the sense of seeing two gay men kissing and groping each other and it making you wince or turning your stomach then i think that is a different matter entirely and i would not class it as homophobia, an extremely overweight woman in a small bikini might have the same effect on a heterosexual man for example. As long as you respect a homosexuals right to be happy and live their life as they wish then i would not class you as a homophobe in the end.
edit on 27-1-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ledzeppelin489
I believe that homosexuality is natural; nature cognitively, so to speak, recognizes population overflow, and thus creates a deterrent for procreation. However, I think homophobia is just plain ignorance and stupidity. Homophobes=morons

Surely. The same with many other n a t u r a l (so good) things like canibalism (by eating of your enemy brain and heart you acquire his courage/inteligence
) Who denais it= moron
Or pedophilia (old man coupled with a child gets younger again ...and the poor neglected child gets love
) Everybody against it= moron
Wars are also natural ("nature cognitively recognises poulatin overvlow"...bla bla bla) pacifists=morons

Yeah folks: Culture (White Man culture especially) is bad!
I will tell you more: Christianity is the worst thing in the world...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I highly doubt that it's a natural thing.

For instance, take racism. When you were 5 did you see Doug the black kid as black? No you saw him as Doug.

Racism, Bigotry and all other forms of ridiculous behaviours/beliefs are learned from your environment.

Everybody is born with a clean slate. You are influenced by your environment when it comes to your moral code, beliefs etc..

That's my belief in any case.

~Keeper

You are contradicting yourself.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join