It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Is Happening At Glacier Peak, Washington NOW (1/25/11)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Brandyfro

That may have been the effect of the 4.1 off the coast this morning.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

I don't think so. The 4.1 was at 13:02 UTC....the one I'm looking at happened at 14:40 UTC.

Kinda ironic, there is only a small blip at 13:04, so you don't even really see the 4.1 quake on it!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This is a bit strange. They changed the 2.1 quake at Helens yesterday to -.3.??

Magnitude -0.3 - duration magnitude (Md)
Time Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 7:33:10 AM (PST)
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 15:33:10 (UTC)
Distance from Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA - 0 km (0 miles) W (259 degrees)
Amboy, WA - 39 km (25 miles) NNE (33 degrees)
Morton, WA - 40 km (25 miles) S (169 degrees)
Vancouver, WA - 71 km (44 miles) NNE (27 degrees)

Coordinates 46 deg. 12.0 min. N (46.200N), 122 deg. 11.0 min. W (122.184W)
Depth 2.8 km (1.7 miles)
Location Quality Excellent

So how in the world do we go from a 2.1 to a negatvie -0.3???
edit on 27-1-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm not sure whether to post here or in the rumbling in Washington thread, but it may relate to both. In the rumbling in WA thread I told about my experience about hearing the sound & how it's been especially loud yesterday (and today too). I *may* have found something that could possibly be a connection. This weekend I remembered a dream I had years ago that involved a deep sound (I know this is in a science area...just stay with me here). I do keep dream journals & I this is one I wrote down as it was an extremely lucid one:

06-13-2005 I was on a tour in Scotland. I really thought I was there. We came by a castle at the top of a huge hill and I was looking over a spectacular sight of land. It was green & so ancient. Then I could actually hear the land. It was a deep, deep vibration and I just closed my eyes and raised my hands and just soaked it all up.

I've only recently heard about the phenomenom of the "hum" (in the last year) and I only just now associated the two because of the current sound I'm hearing in WA being eerily the same sound as in the dream. In the dream, I *knew* the sound to be the tone of that particular land...like it's own voice but out of the normal sound range for a human.

Then yesterday I found an article called "Earth Speaks in an Inaudible Voice"
I'm too new so I don't think I can post a link but it's an article at discovermagazine from Aug 2007 and the article being earth-speaks-in-an-inaudible-voice. (Sorry it's inconveniant to get to with no link). The first page it says the earth hums but out of human hearing. It suggests that it's "ocean waves colliding over continental shelves", but I think it's a lot more than that. The 2nd page, 1st line says "Infrasound detection may also be useful for predicting volcanic events".

I know this may be old news science-wise, but what I'm wondering is if the 1-5% of the population who is hearing "the hum" have become extra sensitive to these types of things that science is still just becoming aware of. Or maybe it's an extra sensory that we've lost touched with and are becoming aware of again since things are escalating in nature? Or maybe not becoming more sensitive, it's just becoming so strong/loud that we just aren't going to be able to ignore it anymore.

I think the article may have stumbled onto something more than it realized. And perhaps we're feeling (I believe this was suggested in multiple different threads) what the animals have always sensed when they got weirded out before something happened. I guess summed up I'm wondering if this is the connection between animals sixth sense, us being more sensitive to the earth activities, & science's findings (though far from enough data to make this conclusion). Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by onthelookout

Here is the article

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Thank you - that makes it much easier!

On a separate note to another person. I wrote a long reply to a U2U...and realized I need 20 posts to do a U2U. Doh!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Bummer, You can just say yes or no if you want!

Thank you for your post, BTW. Extremely interesting. I fell back asleep this morning because I was up so late....so I don't know if my little dog sensed the 1.0 quake that just happened less than an hour ago, about 10 miles from my house. (she was asleep too) EDIT: I take that back. I was at 5:55 AM...darn those UTC conversions!! So I was still asleep though.

I tell ya, things are really rocking up here.

Okay, off to read that article!! (thanks annmarie)

Edit AGAIN to add: I commented last night on what looked like a quake near marblemount, and I still think they are going to be adding it. Around 0900 UTC.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
YES!!! I knew it! I actually felt this one, which is one of the reasons I got up last night (or should I say this morning?) What in the world is going on? We NEVER have this many quakes in our area in such a short time frame. Something is most defiantely UP!

(this again is about 10 miles from my house!)

Magnitude 1.7
Date-Time Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 09:23:31 UTC
Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 01:23:31 AM at epicenter

Location 48.524°N, 122.087°W
Depth 1.9 km (1.2 miles) set by location program
Region WASHINGTON
Distances 2 km (1 miles) W (266°) from Lyman, WA
7 km (4 miles) W (268°) from Hamilton, WA
11 km (7 miles) E (79°) from Sedro-Woolley, WA
21 km (13 miles) ENE (57°) from Mount Vernon, WA
62 km (38 miles) SSE (165°) from Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
101 km (63 miles) N (10°) from Seattle, WA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 25, Nph= 26, Dmin=11 km, Rmss=0.2 sec, Gp= 61°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=1
Source Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network

Event ID uw01270923

And this one later this morning...I was asleep for this one though: (again 10 miles from my house)

Magnitude 1.0
Date-Time Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 13:55:23 UTC
Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 05:55:23 AM at epicenter

Location 48.533°N, 122.107°W
Depth 3.5 km (2.2 miles) set by location program
Region WASHINGTON
Distances 3 km (2 miles) WNW (285°) from Lyman, WA
9 km (5 miles) W (276°) from Hamilton, WA
10 km (6 miles) ENE (71°) from Sedro-Woolley, WA
21 km (13 miles) NE (52°) from Mount Vernon, WA
60 km (37 miles) SSE (166°) from Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
102 km (64 miles) N (9°) from Seattle, WA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 9, Nph= 11, Dmin=12 km, Rmss=0.17 sec, Gp=108°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=1
Source Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network

Event ID uw01271355

Notice the very shallow depth on both of these. They are also probably whithin 30 miles or less from Glacier Peak. It is VERY ODD to be having this many quakes here. We maybe see one or two a YEAR in this area.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Wow I slept right through the first one. But I bet the second one (which I don't think I felt either...) had a lot to do with my animal's behavior.....

You are right, it is EXTREMELY unusual.
edit on 27-1-2011 by Brandyfro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandyfro

Good, glad you saw this. I was going to send you a U2U about it, but had to go somehwere first.

I wouldn't have felt it if I werent awake, lying in bed, already thinking about earthquakes.
It was not like other small quakes I have experienced. Those have been more of a sharp bang! Like, something hitting the house. This was more like my bed was vibrating,as if really large truck was passing by. I thought I was just getting really paranoid, or thinking about it too much....but wow, when I saw them finally update the list this morning and the time, I knew it had been that. My one dog that barks at quakes was agitated last night and barking at nothing,

I just can't express enough to people how odd these quakes are for this area. I think I will compile an email with all the stuff I've linked in this thread and send it off to someone at PNSN. See what they say. I'll try and get that done this afternoon.

I see helens had yet another quake.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

The way you describe your 'bed vibrating.......big truck passing.......dog barking.......' is so much like the issues I had this morning with Howie the Chihuahua and his water dish. And I was on top of the quake and didn't notice it. Animals did, now I am positive!

Wow I am going to be on high alert for a while, but sooooo glad to be informed as to what is going on, while others are oblivious.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

That's an interesting theory/hypothesis, Westcoast. It sounds plausible. I would say just for now that the subducting plate would certainly be capable of providing some of the magmatic material and energy input required. However as I'm no genius and also bushed, I'm going to sleep on it and see if I get any bright ideas or suggestions to add. (It's nearly 1 a.m. here now.)

Regards,

Mike

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Thanks Mike, I was thinking the same thing. I mean, if you look at the physical interactions that would have to be going on if there were a magma chamber under there, I think it makes sense. If there were any kind of movement within the subducting plates, it would most definately displace or shift the viscous magma above it. Depending on how much movement there was, would dictate te results at the surface. I would think though, that we would see a lot of what we are currently experiencing. The one telling thing for me, is looking at the current quakes plotted by depth.

Helens is really getting active too, which you would expect the volcanos to react...and also small to large shallow quakes (depending on how much shifting there was) would be happening near the surface, perhaps in places where you don't normally see them. What I mean is, that instead of being just along the fault, you would also see them in other areas, where the magma is closest to the surface...such as near or around the volcanos. (like our quakes here near lyman,sedro) As I already mentioned, the increase in the deep tremors would be another indicator. I wonder how much there might happening inland too (like near me) but we just don't know about because they don't have anything monitoring it here. The deep tremor array is only along the coast and peninsula, where the subduction zone is. But what if I am right and it has more to do with the magma chamber? That means there would be deep tremors inland too, which might explain both the rumbling AND the weird quakes up near bellingham, lyman and winthrop.

Yes, this is all speculation and as always I'm not trying to say I believe this to be the truth, only one of many possibilities. It's just that the more things develop, the more plausible it seems.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The ring of fire,"a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there."Seriously unless you live in a trailer park I can get you a sweet deal on a nice place,depending on what you do for a living,how far out of town you want to live,and of course spider,snake phobias ect.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
as the PNSN data and status at Glacier Peak is again reading normal and hasn't reported any recent quakes though you surmise increased activity, are there any stats to validate any of this data?

There are quakes being recorded in other PNSN areas, though, as far as the data given on the sites provides, appears to be at average levels for an area of such activity.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Thank you! That article has helped me figure what the rumbling noise is! It all ties in together, just like I thought. So here is the article:

No matter how closely you listen, you will not hear the Earth hum—but humming it is.No matter how closely you listen, you will not hear the Earth hum—but humming it is.

Far, far below the range of human hearing, waves of energy are coursing through the crust, causing the ground beneath your feet to rise and fall about three-millionths of an inch every few minutes. First detected by networks monitoring seismic activity in 1998, the tiny ripples were initially chalked up to the many small earthquakes that occur each day around the world. But studies over the past decade have proved that the hum is far too constant for that explanation.

In February, oceanographer-turned-seismologist Spahr Webb, of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, reported finding the hum’s likely origin: ocean waves colliding over continental shelves. When two trains of waves, traveling in different directions, smash into one another, they send a continuous cacophony down to the seafloor. That energy triggers vibrations that ripple through the planet, producing an inaudible ringing. “It’s the equivalent of a magnitude 6 earthquake occurring every day,” Webb says. “That’s the kind of energy we’re talking about.”

Earth’s hum turns out to be just one of the many enigmatic signals resonating in the range known as infrasound. Broadly defined as sound waves longer than 56 feet, infrasound lies below the rumbling 20-hertz bass notes at the threshold of human hearing. Hurricanes, tsunamis, and tornadoes also generate their own characteristic low-frequency noise. Scientists are now studying infrasound to learn more about those powerful natural events and how to predict them—a skill that certain animals may already have. In fact, some animals generate their own ultrabass tones for a unique type of long-distance communication.

A spectrogram of ocean sounds
records a tremor from an underwater
volcano near Japan. Each column represents a
three-minute pulse of an ultralow sound.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCE

Okay, so the whole article is interesting, but what really grabbed my attention was the picture off to the side of the soundwaves recorded from the underwater volcano The small bit at the end of the article quoted above refrences it.

Remember I mentioned the underwater volcano that I talked about in my Washington thread? This is a newly discovered underwater volcano last year that sits about 200 miles W of Puget Sound. HERE is the article about it.

Maps from previous missions showed only a bump on the seafloor about 200 miles west of Grays Harbor. But the contours of a large volcano emerged as sonar mapped the ocean floor more than 10,000 feet below the surface.

TeThe ocean's floor hasn't been mapped in great detail along much of Washington's coast, making it a worthwhile place to test the sonar technology, Weirich said. The high-resolution sonar mapped each depth as a different color, showing a dynamic ocean floor with deep ridges and canyonsxt

My theory on the other thread was that perhpas the magma chamber was also feeding this underwater volcano, which of course ties nicely into the rumbling and deep tremors and what is going on now!!

Here is an article about the suspected magma chamber (but I think it may be bigger than they think): LINK

Geologists recently announced that there might be more things that Mount St. Helens, Mount Rainier and Mount Adams have in common, other than the fact that they are all volcanoes. Preliminary studies seem to indicate that they draw their lava from the same enormous magma pool that spans the entire southwestern portion of Washington state. The science team that conducted the investigation revealed in the October 25 issue of the journal Nature Geoscience that the setup in Washington might be similar to the one known to exist under the Yellowstone supervolcano, LiveScience reports.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Okay, so now PNSN seems to be down. I can only pull up the 6 hr seismo for glacier and did this screen shot:

You seem very knowledgable (probably more than me), so I know I don't need to explain the above picture to you. Yes, there seems to be some interference spikes in there...but I think there is also some undeniable seismic activity of some sort being recorded. I would be willing to agree it could be local noise such as avalanche, snow plow, a large elk grazing, etc....except for the fact that this is also being picked up at Mount Baker and Rockport seismos, so it is obviously not local. The PNSN site only records quakes for Glacier. They only have two seismos there and no GPS. There are no roads, so no snow plows or cars or other things that can cause 'noise'. If this IS some sort of wierd of equipment failure that is affecting this many locations, than great. The problem is, typically if it is an equipment problem that affects a whole array, it affects them all the same. This has the characteristic of being most pronounced at Glacier, then next at nearest station to the North (rockport) and then again fainter at the next station to the north (Baker). I have NEVER seen a technical or mechanical problem with that characteristic. THIS is why I think it is seismic in nature.

Obviously these are not typical earthquakes. The signatures are not the same. THIS is why earthquakes are not being recorded at PNSN. But then again, Harmonic Tremor doesn't even get reported until it is prolonged and noted enough to raise the alarm. I am not saying this IS harmonic tremor, but it is SOMETHING, IMO.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

there is a lot going on in the solar system and beyong that is influencing Earth, people are reportedly hearing more audio frequencies, it could be space sound from various possible events or planetary / other positioning, all of which could cause increased geomagnetic activity.

The reason I suggested stats is, it's the only real way of ascertaining any real increases.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

You are absolutely correct. I have been thinking about this possibly correlating with solar activity, given all the info lately on the tear in the magnetosphere and the affects it can here on the ground. Is there anyone out there that knows how to possibly correlate it?

As to showing history; I know that I have been merely giving you my own personal opinion and observation. I understand you wanting to see the hard facts before taking my word for it. I would probably feel the same way if it were reversed. I wish I knew how to pull that data. I know Puterman (and a couple others) could do that....but they have been having a hard time accessing the data bases. This is another reason it makes me think there may be something bigger here...not as a conspiracy theory per say, but that there are a lot of electronics acting wacky.

I will try some of my frequented sites to see if I can come up with the seismic history of my area...but I don't know how to mash that into a graph. Maybe someone else would be so kind to try and do it.

I think you are asking for some very reasonable 'proof' though, and I will try my best to provide it!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

So I went into the USGS database and figured out how to do a simple search. Bear with me here. I used the lat/long from the last quake nearest to my location at Lyman. These are the quakes I am referring to as being wierd.

This is what I got. (2011 is apparently not included in this database yet, so it is not including them)

When I used a 30 KM radius (circular) I got 48 quakes since 1974. That is only 48 quakes in my geological location in the past 36 years. There were only 10 quakes in that radius since 2000. None in 2010, 2 in 2009

When I used a 25 Km radius, I got 36 quakes since 1974 only 6 since 2000

I am located about 10 km from these quakes epicenter. So I used a 20 KM radius search. This is my result:

FILE CREATED: Fri Jan 28 03:44:04 2011
Circle Search Earthquakes= 25
Circle Center Point Latitude: 48.533N Longitude: 122.107W
Radius: 20.000 km
Catalog Used: PDE
Data Selection: Historical & Preliminary Data

CAT YEAR MO DA ORIG TIME LAT LONG DEP MAGNITUDE IEM DTSVNWG DIST
NFO km
TF

PDE 1974 12 15 175905.70 48.50 -122.08 1 3.1 UKSEA 5F. ....... 4
PDE 1974 12 15 180659 48.50 -122.10 2.1 UKSEA 3.. ....... 3
PDE 1977 10 14 025332.50 48.51 -122.15 11 3.3 MLGS 2F. ....... 4
PDE 1984 07 10 124232.90 48.59 -122.09 4 2.9 MDSEA .F. ....... 6
PDE 1984 12 02 161724.40 48.57 -121.86 2 3.3 MLGS 3F. ....... 18
PDE 1984 12 03 190321.80 48.56 -121.85 2 2.9 MLGS .F. ....... 19
PDE 1986 02 10 171207.05 48.39 -121.95 1 2.3 MLGS .F. ....... 19
PDE 1986 02 10 180508.05 48.40 -121.95 1 3.7 MLGS 5F. ....... 19
PDE 1988 04 04 024735.76 48.50 -122.13 2 2.9 MDSEA .F. ....... 4
PDE 1989 02 06 012552.70 48.42 -122.21 0 3.8 MLSEA 5F. ....... 15
PDE 1989 02 06 091900.96 48.41 -122.22 0 1.8 MDSEA ... ....... 15
PDE 1989 02 14 214110.59 48.43 -122.23 0 4.2 MLSEA 5D. ....... 14
PDE 1989 02 15 011129.76 48.42 -122.22 0 2.4 MDSEA .F. ....... 15
PDE 1989 02 16 205930.71 48.43 -122.22 0 2.3 MDSEA .F. ....... 14
PDE 1989 02 16 211211.69 48.43 -122.23 0 2.8 MDSEA .F. ....... 14
PDE 1989 03 06 030954.02 48.43 -122.23 1 4.2 MDSEA 5F. ....... 14
PDE 1989 03 06 075706.68 48.42 -122.22 0 2.0 MDSEA .F. ....... 15
PDE 1989 03 06 080001.17 48.42 -122.23 0 2.4 MDSEA .F. ....... 15
PDE 1989 04 12 121245.19 48.42 -122.23 0 1.5 MDSEA .F. ....... 15
PDE 1989 04 16 153555.10 48.42 -122.22 0 2.7 MDSEA ... ....... 15
PDE 1997 07 27 151540.04 48.53 -122.08 2 2.6 MDSEA ... ....... 1
PDE 2000 04 11 090903.85 48.41 -122.27 14 3.2 MDSEA .F. ....... 18
PDE 2002 09 13 145954 48.60 -121.96 0 2.4 MDSEA ... ....... 13
PDE 2002 09 25 053549.75 48.61 -121.96 3 2.6 MDSEA .F. ....... 14
PDE 2004 03 17 113427.27 48.45 -122.27 0 3.8 MDSEA 5F. ....... 15

As you can see, there were only 25 since 1974. There were 4 since 2000. Before this month, there hasn't been one in my immediate area since 2004

I also had it generate a map to make sure I was in the region...I am !! Here it is:

I believe there have been more than these two inside that search area this month, but I'll be darned if I can find a list going back further than two weeks. Can someone figure out how to get the info for January?

Anyways...there you go. I hope that helps. This is just for my area. I can do a search too for a larger region to include the other recent quakes near bellingham, etc. It will have to be later though. I just don't have time to right now!

This is why when there were two just today....I am thinking it odd.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join