It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Is Happening At Glacier Peak, Washington NOW (1/25/11)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Brandyfro and I were talking about how the sky has had a wierd hue to it the past couple of days. I went ahead and got a picture of it. Now, this is NOT the sunset. It was like this all day. (beautiful sunset tonight though)

This is again looking due west, towards the ocean.

edit on 27-1-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Oh, and just incase any of you are wondering why we don't have a bunch of hot springs if there is all this magma under us: We have 30 here in washington. The hottest is up at baker: 266 F !!!!

List of hot springs

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

One thing everyone needs to know is that we are NOT in a polluted area, temperatures are moderate so it is not wood stove smoke, there have been slight breezes so it is not stagnate air. The last two situations occur around here occasionally, but NOT the case this time.

The sky is just weird the past few days. It is unnerving, almost un-EARTHLY in nature.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I just had a thought. I can't say about the strange hue of the clouds, but, thinking about the rippled lenticular clouds and that stuff about the rumbling and whatnot, it occurred to me... could it be possible that the rippling of the clouds (well, specifically, the wave interference of the air flowing over the mountains) is caused by infrasonic vibrations (seismic or otherwise) coming from the ground?
edit on 27-1-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

What you mean like HAARP? Or like something the earth does naturally?
Has anything like that been documented in the past near volcanic or seismic events?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

That sounds like an interesting theory could you expand on it a little more? Don't mind the rest of this post it's just filler to avoid a one liner.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I don't know off-hand if there's much documented relating lenticular clouds to seismic activity. I (or someone else) will have to check that out, I suppose.

And, I wasn't thinking of HAARP. Personally, I'm not a fan of thinking HAARP as much to do with anything, so I'm leaning more towards the source being natural - like, related to the shifting magma chamber, the earthquakes, themselves, and/or whatever else is causing the rumbling people have been reporting. But, then, if HAARP is being sneaky and is affecting the Cascades...it is another possible source.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

Well...lenticular clouds form when moist air flows over mountains, the mountains disturb the air into a wave-like pattern, and, when the air condenses, it forms a rippling pattern. If infrasound is vibrating the mountains the air is flowing over, and if this is what's causing the wave formations (kinda like dimples on a golf ball ripple the air that flows past it), then that could cause the lenticular clouds that have been seen.
edit on 27-1-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Wierd. When I was out walking today, looking up at the clouds, I had the same exact thought. There were a couple of other wierd formations, but clouds are really hard to get your camera to focus on if they aren't sharply defined...but these were like a long string of upside down waves. Anyways...I think it is a very possible theory.

I have to mention helens. There has been a crap load of quakes there today:

MAP 1.8 2011/01/28 05:42:55 46.278 -122.209 5.6 9 km ( 6 mi) NNW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.0 2011/01/27 21:51:00 46.280 -122.206 4.0 9 km ( 6 mi) NNW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.1 2011/01/27 20:54:50 46.280 -122.204 3.9 9 km ( 6 mi) NNW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.4 2011/01/27 18:36:08 46.286 -122.206 5.6 10 km ( 6 mi) NNW of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.0 2011/01/27 13:55:23 48.533 -122.107 3.5 3 km ( 2 mi) WNW of Lyman, WA
MAP 1.3 2011/01/27 12:18:52 46.287 -122.201 3.8 10 km ( 6 mi) N of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

PLUS, the ones listed on PNSN that are under 1.0:

11/01/21 22:58:35 46.19N 122.17W 3.5-0.9 AB
11/01/22 20:53:42 46.19N 122.18W 3.0-1.2 AB
11/01/23 06:31:31 46.19N 122.19W 2.3 0.6 BA
11/01/25 07:21:48 46.19N 122.17W 6.4-0.4 AD
11/01/25 22:07:24 46.20N 122.16W 4.5-0.5 AD
11/01/25 23:41:20 46.19N 122.19W 2.3 1.9 AA
11/01/26 15:33:10 46.19N 122.18W 2.8-0.3 AA
11/01/27 09:56:34 46.21N 122.19W 5.0-1.1 AB
11/01/27 13:27:00 46.19N 122.18W 4.1-0.1 AA
11/01/27 13:38:44 46.19N 122.18W 4.3-0.9 AA

SOURCE

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

thanks for the information, no need to spend more time researching on my behalf.

I wondered if there was a more comprehensive database covering all types of activity for this area in general to see if there is any long term or immediate increase.

I guess this information is probably best obtained from source, depending on whether this information has been correlated for public access.

The seismo's and webicorder data are good though aren't detailed or specific enough to give accurate results when just faced with a graph, unless seen in context with general activity in the area and known causes.

I am certain there is a gov funded department somewhere that correlates all this information, ground and space and has accurate details. This may well not be accessable by the general public.

Correlated data from DMSP, see list of sensors / instruments, would clarify exact geomagnetic influences and whether the overall view is 'normal' or otherwise.

nsidc.org...
edit on 28-1-2011 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

the real time and previous data from NGDC isn't particularly accessible for the general public to enable analysis, though there are some free downloads, reports on various informative areas.

www.ngdc.noaa.gov...

edit on 28-1-2011 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Thanks for compelling me to do it. It was enlightening to see just how few quakes we really have in my county. I knew it wasn't often. At least now I know how to compile it!

You would think that someone would be watching/collecting data in such a way. I really wonder though. PNSN is really the only agency that I know of that monitors and then provides that info to others (such as USGS). As I have found out, they don't even have all the volcanos adequately covered, not even GPS on Glacier. You would think they'd have an observation station with GPS/gas emission/deformation etc set up. I mean, glacier has the potential of having the largest erruption, yet it has the least amount of monitoring. I find this disturbing.

As to looking at stats. Other than notable quakes, I don't know of any database for anything else. I am sure the geologists keep track of things, but given their lack of monitoring ability I really question just how much they CAN track and know. Generally speaking, this is a young science. These mountains have been forming over millions of years and we have only started to watch them in the past 30.

The deep tremors were even noticed until a few years ago. It wasn't until this past year that they got the deep tremor array set up and really collecting usable data. They don't even know what it is.

It is just obvious to me that there are a whole lot more unknowns than known. That is one of the reasons why I watch so much. I have two of these beasts whithin 50 miles from me. When I see stuff that looks like seismic activity, I get a bit anxious. In all the years I have been watching, that is biggest trace I have ever seen on these mountains (aside from helens with her steam erruptions and small releases this past decade).

Things seem to have quieted down at glacier,thankfully. The rockport station is oddly active though, given its location and it is very near where we had our two quakes yesterday so I'll watching that. (it is right in the middle of Baker and Glacier) Both Helens and Rainier are very noisy, with multiple quakes at helens in one day, so I'm keeping an eye on those too....but then, so are countless professionals.

Have you looked at SOHO? We just had an M class flare last night and it has a nice halo coming out from it right now. (which means a flare directed right at us) I can't help but wonder what/if this will have an affect on our surface!

As to the satellite info...I don't have a clue where to begin with that. Thanks for the link though. Yet one more thing I had never heard of!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
So, now that I've fallen asleep on the couch, woken up enough to drag myself up to bed, had a fews hours worth of sleep (the most I've had since the start of this year, for obvious reasons), and gotten back to business... I've had a chance to look up evidence for the effect of ground tremors on cloud formation. The first thing I've found is this:

www.terraresearch.net...

The most relevant part starts with the heading "What causes the sudden atmospheric formation?" and it seems to indicate that it's at least not a new theory that ground activity can cause strange clouds. It also reveals that this process has been seen by certain cultures for quite a while.

Also, I think what we both considered might be even more plausible considering that the air flowing over the mountains is, in fact, coming into contact with the vibrating ground. "Transient" vibration is linked to rather small ripples in the clouds, and more typical mountain-induced turbulence (lenticular clouds caused by mountains that aren't vibrating) seem to be slightly different than what you've shown and described. What you've been seeing actually seems to be a cross between typical lenticular clouds and what the website I linked to is calling "earth transient clouds".

Also, doing a quick Google search (for "volcano with lenticular clouds"), I found that a lot of volcanoes seem to be associated with them... of course, a lot of what I found is also making a UFO connection, but, ignoring that little bit of insanity, at least a circumstantial connection between volcanoes and lenticular clouds seems to exist.
edit on 28-1-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Here is the weekly report from the USGS

CASCADES VOLCANO OBSERVATORY WEEKLY UPDATE
Friday, January 28, 2011 10:14 AM PST (Friday, January 28, 2011 18:14 UTC)

CASCADE RANGE VOLCANOES
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

Activity Update: All volcanoes in the Cascade Range are at normal levels of background seismicity. These include Mount Baker, Glacier Peak, Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens, and Mount Adams in Washington State; Mount Hood, Mount Jefferson, Three Sisters, Newberry Volcano, and Crater Lake, in Oregon; and Medicine Lake volcano, Mount Shasta, and Lassen Peak in northern California.

Recent Observations: Monitoring systems show that activity at Cascade Range volcanoes during the past week remains at background levels. Five small earthquakes on January 27, located about 10 kilometers North-northwest of Mount St. Helens, occurred in an area of known seismic activity and are not considered unusual.

Source

I think they need more Monitoring Equipment... Frightening if you really think about it. We have an area that can and has caused major damage in many places and there is no or next to no monitoring equipment.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
There is a hella of a lot of tectonic/volcanic/siesmic activity atm arround the world including yellostone & Mt st hellens cnn had miko (physicist) on cnn a few days talking about it.
for good scientific info from vulcanologists (no not vulcans :p ) visit bigthink.com...

Peace & prosperity...opps... Live Long & Prosper!
edit on 28-1-2011 by hrmmm because: addition humor

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Not much of anything to report today (which is a GOOD thing!)

There has been pretty much NO activity today. Kinda wierd. Things were really rocking...hopefully it will stay this way.

I will keep a close eye on things and let you all know if it changes. I spent most of my day getting a bug-out bag made (been meaning to do it for years) and my fifth wheel fully stocked. So if nothing else, this compelled me to be prepared!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

It's good to be prepared! Good for you wc.

It may be the Egyptian thing but I feel VERY anxious and fidgity today.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Some here! I don't know if it's reading this thread lately or what, but I had a very vivid dream last night involving massive swaying, not shaking, but the worse kind of earthquakes and eruptions of massive flows of lava up from the crust in seemingly random areas where there are no volcanoes or mountains.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
i really hope the volcano erupts. Burning alive is my worst fear.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Well, it seems I spoke too soon. The volcanos are starting to really look active. Several small quakes at Rainier and a couple at helens (they won't get recorded until later though because they fall below the automatically recorded threshold.

Hood had a nice spell of some noise too....but until any of them start having regular quakes of significant size, or HT, no one will get worried. For me, it just seems as if it is all a possible symptom of something bigger. I'm still hoping that whatever is pent-up with have some small, low-key releases to keep things quiet for awhile!

How about that quake at the top of the world??

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hrmmm

for good scientific info from vulcanologists (no not vulcans :p ) visit bigthink.com...

Ooo! I've been reading Erik's blog for years now. I love it. Very informative. I live within thirty miles of Lassen and so I thought I better get up to speed on volcanos. Erik and Boris and Lurking and a few others over there are always WONDERFUL about answering any volcano-related questions. Highly recommended. They have calmed my frayed nerves (we had a swarm last month) more than a few times.

Pamela Britton-Baer

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join