It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Block of Wood Discovered on Iceberg at Magnetic South Pole

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Okay. Now that I stopped laughing....could someone explain to me what was meant by:

within the no compass region around the magnetic south pole.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Okay. Now that I stopped laughing....could someone explain to me what was meant by:

Maybe it means that area is so close to the south pole that the compass points north regardless of what way you face. (i.e., a region where the compass is pretty much useless).

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
When the first explorers went to the pole some of the ships were trapped and crushed in the ice. This could be just a remnant of a keel or some other part of the ship. Just my 2.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
That's definitely interesting. I just saw this video on CNN... it's a piano on a sand bar!

The tropical equivalent to a door on an iceberg.
edit on 1/25/2011 by InterestedObserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by InterestedObserver
That's definitely interesting. I just saw this video on CNN... it's a piano on a sand bar!

The tropical equivalent to a door on an iceberg.
edit on 1/25/2011 by InterestedObserver because: (no reason given)

Now THAT'S bizarre. I'd say it's likely from a capsized Yacht (victimized from the Bermuda Triangle of course) but what are the odds of it washing on shore standing upright????

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

Not everything is a conspiracy ... and it is only a piece of wood which even by your own validation was mistaken for a reclining seal so that provides some size perspective.

What are your personal thoughts on it purpose and/or origin ?

Woody

Look at you just TRYING to get us all to look away and ignore this...yeah Woody, I see what you are doing here. I am not fooled. You can't hide your wooden friend from us. MR WOODY!

MM

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by Human_Alien
I wonder what it really is???

Check back later TWILITE cause I'm sure you'll have a long list to choose from!
Thanks darlin!! I'm sure I will.Are they(whomever) going to pluck it off the ice to study it??

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
HEY ! You dang woodchucks stop chucking my wood !

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Maybe it means that area is so close to the south pole that the compass points north regardless of what way you face. (i.e., a region where the compass is pretty much useless).

Ah. I see. Makes sense.
Well the rate things are going, a compass will be rendered useless by one and all ---from near and far, pretty soon

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The object is on a icy surface that is not exactly flat. I estimate it's in like a 10-15% angle.
Ice is a low friction surface.
I'm wondering why the object simply isn't sliding into the ocean?

If it's frozen into the iceberg and we can only see the top of the object, this raises other questions.
Water expands as it freezes into ice.
Since the object is in the middle of the iceberg it would have eventually been crushed by the expanding ice.
Especially if the object is (as it appears) made of wood.
Only the top that is not covered in ice would then have been intact and detached from the rest of the object and thus sliding into the ocean (since the low friction surface it is on certainly isn't flat, and it isn't any longer attached to anything below the visible ice).

Conclusions:
#1 The object is placed there and sealed to the surface just before the picture is taken.
#2 The object is frozen into the ice and it's not made of wood, but a sturdier material that can withstand the pressure from the expanding ice.
#3 The object is photoshopped into the picture.

Whatever it is tho, it's a funny looking thing to be seen in the middle of nowhere like that

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I would have definitely retrieved it. If it's old enough, big enough and well enough preserved, that piece of wood could be worth a fortune!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
my theory, its ed leedskalnin's mysterious box. its just as unlikely as any other guess. but i dont think its been posted yet. so this is my first post on ats.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm familiar with ed leedskalnin. I never heard anything about a box though..?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think we may have found the famous locked box Al Gore was looking for all those years ago.

I bet he could have won Florida if it would have turned up back then.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It's probably Han Solo in carbonite... or the obelisk from 2001: A Space Odyssey!

Go touch it!!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

Wow! You gave this some healthy thought. Much appreciated. But what makes you say it's on an angle though?
Great post by the way!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Oh No! It's the start of the bridge to nowhere, (I mean literally Nowhere!). Probably just flotsam from a ship 2000 miles away. However, it is strange.
edit on 1/25/2011 by hoagy1199 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It looks like it could be a wooden pallet from a parachute air-drop. These drops must happen all the time in Antarctica -depositing supplies to explorers, military personnel e.t.c. Either that or an eskimo has lost his cupboard.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/163869a960b9.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:41:15 -0600 by Silver Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

reply to post by woodwytch

Sure it could. It could be anything. From anywhere. Who said it was a conspiracy? I just think it's a mystery.

Much to my chagrin as you can well imagine, ATS didn't offer me a 'Mystery Wood-Iceberg' category so I had to stick it under 'conspiracy'.
Sorry Woodwytch for misleading you.
You may want to speak to management about this matter tout de suite.

'Mystery Wood-Iceberg' Forum ... love it

You didn't answer the other part of my post though ... what are your personal thoughts about it ?

Woody

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
leedskalnin had a large tripod hoist with a mysterious box at the top. He used it during the day, which was odd, and also with a lot of block and tackle, also odd. he was fascinated with magnetics and i dont think he used conventional construction methods......or that could just be a piece of wood in the ocean

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join