It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Mysterious Block of Wood Discovered on Iceberg at Magnetic South Pole

page: 13
61
<< 10  11  12   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
......ugh!! so.....um....have we ruled out the finding of Hoffa? was looking forward to the thread of how exactly he got there.




posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by undo
 


Maybe it's a star-gate?

Scratch that, it's too small, must be a star-cat flap.

For the inter-dimensional cats to pop through to catch some fresh Patagonian tooth fish...



posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by undo
 


Maybe it's a star-gate?

Scratch that, it's too small, must be a star-cat flap.

For the inter-dimensional cats to pop through to catch some fresh Patagonian tooth fish...


well now, mr. wickus, this is a side of you i've not seen before.
are you challenging me to a duel?
i surrender. you win.
now then, why post these images where they can be scrutinzed, if you don't want people to scrutinize them. make uppa your mind.



posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by undo
 


I always joke around....I hope you saw the humourous side of it...

By all means scrutinize but also don't ignore that despite being a really odd thing to see, it's nothing groundbreaking or even that amazing, to fake it seems quite odd, don't you think?

Then there is the source of the image, a reputable journalist who is on an ice breaker down at Antarctica, she's been blogging since the start of the month, so she's going to an awful lot of trouble to fake a piece of wood on an iceberg.



posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus
 


true. and i agree, but then i looked at the larger pic that the smaller or close up pic was taken from supposedly, and they aren't the same. then i put it my handy dandy paintshop, found that there's a nice little cut and paste along the top edge of the ice chunk the wood is floating on in the close up and that the areas to the left and right of the wood block are both smudgy, like someone took a smudge tool and had at it. could be totally wrong, but most of it looks heavily photoshopped, to disguise something else. maybe one of the people on board the ship was on, saw it, and they had to provide a credible alternative reference for it on the mainstream before it became an alternative media problem. i dunno.

then again, i've been known to find anomalies in images that other people claim just look like blurry blobs. so it could just be my eyes.
edit on 26-1-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by undo
 


Don't forget you're looking at a compressed and cropped image, you're going to get image artifacts show up when this has happened and it will often occur around where there are contrasting colours, such as the white ice against the dark brown of the wood andr the white ice against the blue of the ocean.



posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by undo
 


Don't forget you're looking at a compressed and cropped image, you're going to get image artifacts show up when this has happened and it will often occur around where there are contrasting colours, such as the white ice against the dark brown of the wood andr the white ice against the blue of the ocean.


hrm. well anyway, yeah, this is one of the reasons i don't like anomalous images. lol
i always find things that either are artifacts, natural byproducts of compression, light problems or something else, equally frustrating. don't show me anomalous images if you don't want me to LOOK at them, cause i will. and then you gotta spend 2 days trying to convince me i'm not seeing what my eyes tell me i'm seeing. you know how frustrating that is? eh, maybe it's my artistic side coming thru, cause dang, that sure looks like a nice clean paste edge.



posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I still like the idea that it could be a piece of Noahs Ark....



posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This is probably a viral advertisement for the prequel of John Carpenters, "The Thing" that is to be released October 14 2011. The new movie is also called , "The Thing"
This is supposed to be the story about what happens before Kurt Russel's team finds it. The setting is Antarctica.



The Thing is not a remake, but a prequel. As screenwriter Ronald D. Moore explains, "Well, it's not a remake. It's really a companion piece to the [John] Carpenter version. We're telling the story of the Norwegian camp that found the Thing before the Kurt Russell group did, so it's very buried in the continuity [and] it's supposed to be the other story that you saw part of. So we didn't want to reinvent it. It was really much the opposite. We really wanted to have this flow seamlessly into what he did."

www.movieinsider.com...

edit:
It looks like Windwalker beat me to it. Good work!
www.abovetopsecret.com...



edit on 1/26/2011 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/26/2011 by Sparky63 because: to give Windwalker props.



posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It could still be faked.

Just because some person from ABC posted it doesn't really make any difference.

I remember when ABC told me Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and an invasion was absolutely needed.

Look how that turned out.

So no matter what source something is, does not automatically mean it's fake or real.

I can see a hundred reasons why someone would fake something like this.
To generate publicity and attention.

If it is indeed faked, which we don't know for sure yet, than it is pretty desperate however at the same time creative and original.



posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It was the only place I could find to safely hide my porn and snuff films, and Number 1 pencils. I placed it there. Sorry to cause the confusion. I told the camera guy on the boat to take it to Antarctica and put it there for safe keeping. Any time I need to rub one out, I send someone up there to get it for me. This is my crop circle excepts its made of wood.



posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


Even if it is real, I don't understand why it would be "mysterious". I don't understand why people are trying to think of ways this could have been faked when it could very easily be real.

It's a block of wood floating in the ocean. Why is that mysterious? Perhaps a large wave washed it on the ice, or perhaps it fell directly on the ice from an ice breaker.

edit on 1/27/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Ya know, If I was going to photoshop something floating on top of a berg in the Southern Ocean, I don't think a block of wood would come to mind. A '57 Chevy would be cool, or even a box of pop tarts would be more mysterious. Just another reason I'm inclined to think it's real.

I will add this though, the Gulf Stream routinely carries driftwood to Arctic shores which early explorers and resident Inuit could gather and burn for heat, however, there is very little to no driftwood in the Antarctic because the Southern Ocean currents simply don't allow for it.



posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien
 


I think it may be a piece of wood from Shakleton's expedition. LOL
The only problem here is, the wood is a darker color, and would have started to melt the very flat top of the iceberg had it been there very long. Maybe it fell there from another iceburg, or was thrown there from another iceberg as it broke apart.

remyrange



posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
It could still be faked.

Just because some person from ABC posted it doesn't really make any difference.

I remember when ABC told me Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and an invasion was absolutely needed.

Look how that turned out.

So no matter what source something is, does not automatically mean it's fake or real.

I can see a hundred reasons why someone would fake something like this.
To generate publicity and attention.

If it is indeed faked, which we don't know for sure yet, than it is pretty desperate however at the same time creative and original.


I didn't realize there was someone even more skeptical, cynical and suspicious than me on this forum. Nice to have company!



posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So as of now no real explanation... Interesting why is it not warped and expanded from cold weather and water?
edit on 1/27/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsawyer2
Ya know, If I was going to photoshop something floating on top of a berg in the Southern Ocean, I don't think a block of wood would come to mind. A '57 Chevy would be cool, or even a box of pop tarts would be more mysterious. Just another reason I'm inclined to think it's real.

I will add this though, the Gulf Stream routinely carries driftwood to Arctic shores which early explorers and resident Inuit could gather and burn for heat, however, there is very little to no driftwood in the Antarctic because the Southern Ocean currents simply don't allow for it.

It doesn't need to have drifted to the antarctic from afar. There are plenty of ships that travel the Southern Ocean, plus there are quite a few scientist in Antarctica who produce a whole bunch of garbage.

Sure -- they attempt to contain that rubbish to keep Antarctica as pristine as possible, but I don't see it odd that a few stray pieces of wood from a ship or other rubbish would be floating around.



posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien
 


No worries, we all have "moments" like that.



Springer...



new topics

top topics



 
61
<< 10  11  12   >>

log in

join