It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget about ET - We are alone in the Universe!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
"Still waiting for little green men to make contact? Don’t hold your breath.
A leading astronomer has concluded there probably aren’t any aliens out there – meaning we are entirely alone in the universe"

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Oh heaven help me Mr Smith, for I may yet lose the will to Live.
How 'on earth' can some members of my species be so ignorant & conceited to actually...really...no you're kidding me right? Indulge the belief we are the only Living organisms in our Star System, oh no our Galaxy, no wait the Universe itself!

You'd have to be crazy to think that, you're making me crazy suggesting it!
I really pity any Daily Mail readers who'd be duped.

Our home planet is less than a speck of dust in the scheme of eternity, so I think it's time for my favourite video to regain a fraction of perspective & restore a bit of sanity & logical thinking to the whole prospect & chance of us actually being 'alone'

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry about that guy. Even skeptics like me aren't dumb enough to think we are alone in the universe. I doubt you will find anyone around here that thinks so. Hell, that's about the only thing that we can agree on around here.

However, irrefutable evidence of it doesn't exist at this time, so all we can base our opinion on is the scientific discovery of the abundance of planets, water and elements in the universe. Time will prove us right, but not in our lifetime for sure.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Totally agree, I was however under the impression the MSM might/possibly be bringing us up to speed on the subject of Alien Life & it just left me so disheartened to read such pure dis-info from one of Britains leading rags.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Sometimes I think these "scientists" are just taking turns pulling the publics chain. "Yes, there's life out there." "Oh wait, no there isn't", "Then again, maybe", "Not really, just kidding". And on and on. Actually, I'm probably blaming the wrong guys, at least partially. The media would never take the scientific community's words out of context, would they?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I think his point is that the chances of there being intelligent life close to us is slim.

Fair enough to say that there are billions of stars out there that could harbour life but the distances between these places is ridiculously huge.

The closest star to earth is over 4 light years away and light travels at nearly 300,000,000 metres a second.

Do the math and you can see why it seems impossible.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Oh...Errr ...... right then ..... Close the board , looks like this game is over
Oooooh wait , you may want to revisit you OP , Dr Howard Smith doesn't say there are no Et's

believes there is very little hope of discovering aliens and, even if we did, it would be almost impossible to make contact.

So what he is saying is not that they don't exist but it would be hard for us to find then , like we don't already know that .

The article reads like its from someone who for reasons known only to himself doesn't believe in or want to look for other life forms .

link   
How can someone say we are alone when it cannot be confirmed.

There are millions of planets out there and the only way to confirm we are alone is to visit every planet.

And explain and confirm every UFO sighting since the dawn of time as non-ET.

link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

That's such a definitive word. How about improbable. It sounds so much more possible.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

With our current understanding of technology.....and THAT is the major caveat here.

Other civilizations that may be out there, may be far older and more advanced than we are.

Just a century ago, the idea of reaching the other side of the globe in a day seemed impossible, let alone a man setting foot on the moon.

As we've already seen in our own "recent" history...technology advances exponentially. A distance that seems impossible today may be commonplace in another century, even for us...let alone any older civilization that may be out there, and THAT is why the idea is NOT ludicrous, but logical, that others could certainly be visiting us, EVEN with those distances in mind.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by L.J.C

Well I can see why he's a 'senior' member.

Buzz Aldrin has said basically the same thing and THAT'S from an astronaut whose main passion/purpose was believing and finding alien life off this planet.

It's like a priest, pope, bishop, rabbi or any other religious leader not believing in a God.

So...this coming from an astronomer, to me, looks like a set up!
It's the good-cop/bad-cop tactic. Keep the people of planet Earth confused, divided and debating that way, we surely won't ever unite as an agreeing species on any one topic.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by L.J.C

We're specks of dust among the largest desert on mars, and mars is basically one large desert. To think we are alone is speaking in a speculative manner. There is no proof but we haven't explore much of our own universe let alone the billions of other universes. This is similar to saying we have discovered every single species of animal on Earth! Which is not true at all.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
Oh...Errr ...... right then ..... Close the board , looks like this game is over
Oooooh wait , you may want to revisit you OP , Dr Howard Smith doesn't say there are no Et's

believes there is very little hope of discovering aliens and, even if we did, it would be almost impossible to make contact.

Well I wish someone would inform 'them' to stop discovering and making contact with some of us then.
That would be peachy!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It would be impossible to travel those distances using our technology and knowledge of physics , but we are only a couple of thousand years old as a technological species .
If there are species out there with millenia of tech under their belt then who knows what is possible .

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
A leading Astronomer??

Come on, you dont need to be a genius to realsie that out of all the Stars and Galaxies there would be other life than ours..

Is this guy serious? Perhaps he holds religon in higher regard than science? Dont get me wrong i was raised a Catholic and know all about the creation myth blah blah... but seriously??

This guy is a joke to make a statement like that.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
He didn't say we were alone in the universe, he just said that it is unlikely that a form of life (and all the more an intelligent one) arise on most of earth-like planets located among other galaxies in a 1250ly radius around us due to the different conditions (such as extreme temperatures or egg-shaped orbits) and he's pointing the fact that even if a similar civilisation exists in this radius, it would take decades or even centuries to send a message a receive an answer back.

You guys need to read the paper, the title of this thread is highly misleading.

edit on 24-1-2011 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I think his point is that the chances of there being intelligent life close to us is slim.

Fair enough to say that there are billions of stars out there that could harbour life but the distances between these places is ridiculously huge.

The closest star to earth is over 4 light years away and light travels at nearly 300,000,000 metres a second.

You seem to accept the math that travel beyond the speed of light is impossible and fail to accept that there are several possibilities to suggest that shortcoming can be by-passed.

UFO evidence does tend to show something strange is wrong with our perceptions, or physics, no?

Please read the second line in my signature. It explains a fairly simply how that math is irrelevant.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I laughed at this guy until my stomach started to hurt. No life? Are you serious...There has recently been a discovery anyway that the universe doesn't have billions of stars, but 300 sextillion stars, and you mean to tell me out of all of them there are no planets with no life. These are just one of those scientists that wants a little popularity. Oh yea, and aliens do exist, there in Arizona LOL. Lets give some respect and say Extra-Terrestrial.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Of course, the possibilities are endless.

But the further away these intelligent beings are, the harder it is for them to get here.

Hell, our galaxy is 100,000 light years across, the technology would need to be something special to commute those distances, we're talking about travelling faster than the speed of light by a factor of thousands, but again, it could be possible, couldn't it?

Then there are all the other variables such as would we even be noticed by such a super advanced race? Would it not be plausible to assume that other intelligent beings out there followed a similar path of technology to us and wiped themselves out? Or maybe some cosmic event wiped them out....

The reasons as to why we may be the only ones in this universe are as vast as the reasons why we may not be the only ones.

I guess it all depends on how deep one wants to go with it.

edit on 24/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Please read the second line in my signature. It explains a fairly simply how that math is irrelevant.

You can't be serious.

How wings can defy gravity ? Wtf are you thinking ?

And for everyone still commenting the "we are alone" line, read the damn paper for f*ck's sake.

HE - DID - NOT - SAY - WE - ARE - ALONE - IN - THE - UNIVERSE.
edit on 24-1-2011 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

What he is saying is not that they don't exist but it would be hard for us to find , and that in the massive [ sarcasm ] 500 planets we've discovered none of them are earth-like.
What he fails to mention is the reason that we haven't found any , and that is as we all know because our limited technology can only detect large planets , or rather the path of the planet as it passes in front of its parent star .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join