It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget about ET - We are alone in the Universe!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by L.J.C

There is no possibility that we are alone in the universe, based on simple statistical chance. What is more likely is that the Einstein SOL constant will prevent any means of communication or visitation. So perhaps we are effectively "alone" if not actually.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
reply to post by L.J.C

There is no possibility that we are alone in the universe, based on simple statistical chance. What is more likely is that the Einstein SOL constant will prevent any means of communication or visitation. So perhaps we are effectively "alone" if not actually.

Lucky, I don't believe in Einstein.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

reply to post by L.J.C

Lucky, I don't believe in Einstein.

Yes and you are not alone there , take this below;

That idea was dismissed more than 100 years ago with the creation of Einstein's special theory of relativity. But the new study focuses on the fine structure constant, also known as alpha. This number determines the strength of interactions between light and matter. Taking data from the Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile Webb has observed that alpha varies in space rather than time. The VLT data suggests that, elsewhere in the universe, the value of alpha is very slightly bigger than on Earth. The difference in both cases is around a millionth of the value alpha has in our region of space.

link; sify.com...

There are new discoveries i feel on the horizon and i for one will not rule out more revelations pertaining to this vast and mysterious universe. Quantum physics is the area i feel will reveal these new and important revelations, time,well in a sense that is,will tell as they say, we are living in exciting times and there is no ned at all to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Exactly, I always have a laugh when people claim something like faster than light speed is IMPOSSIBLE.

I like to use the example of nuclear fission. Before the 1930's science claimed that fission was IMPOSSIBLE.

Than darn it all, Seaburg, Kennedy, Wahl and Segre came along and Ur-235 and Pu-239 was discovered.

Oppenheimer and his group than discovered the process at which a fission reaction could be created and in a short period of a couple of years two types of triggers were developed. Shortly after that, man made fusion reactions were made possible by using a fission reaction to start the process off.

But, before the 1930's physics claimed all that was IMPOSSIBLE.

The correct answer is: WE DO NOT KNOW. We are just starting in our understanding of quantum physics and we are already finding that the universe is much stranger than what classical and atomic physics would have one think.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Dreamwatcher because: Grammer

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It's the Daily Fail, to be expected I guess.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Gazrok

Hell, our galaxy is 100,000 light years across, the technology would need to be something special to commute those distances, we're talking about travelling faster than the speed of light by a factor of thousands, but again, it could be possible, couldn't it?

I look at it this way. In order to get to my garage from the living room I would have to walk through two walls, one of which is solid concrete. I deem that impossible or, if we must, highly improbable.

But I could walk down the hallway and through a door in a few seconds.

We look at the vast distances of space and think, well, it would be impossible to get in a rocket ship and blast through all the intervening space to get from here to there in a reasonable amount of time, THEREFORE the speed of light is a built-in limit to traverssing the stars.

Then someone comes along and invents Warp Drive.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
As futile as this is, people will support it... this saddens me.

The universe is incredibly diverse, as are the methods of travel!

Any report from a scientist or other official should be disregarded or scrutinized to see what information is being screened.

Every day, we are moving more and more out of the scientific paradigm.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Time2Think

Quantum computers...there's a can of worms. Assuming we are capable of it (may even already have them, for all we know), that certainly will change the ballgame.

May even make teleportation a reality (for objects, not people or animals). I for one, am never planning on stepping on a transporter, if we get them in my lifetime.

It's that whole disintegration thing I have a problem with.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well, the hypothesizing about various methods of travel through the universe that would make it practical is interesting, but it still doesn't put any alien in our skies.

I suppose the logic goes that if we exist, then 100,000 other intelligent civilizations must exist. And since we're a relatively young civilization, a lot of those would probably have to be way older and way smarter than us. And if one can figure out how to fly through wormholes or use warp speed, then 100,000 other must be able to figure it out, too.

So where are they? They all agree to leave us alone? Yeah, like all our countries can come to an agreement about anything and nobody ever disobeys. We're too far out in the boondocks to bother with? Hey, when you can travel easily through the universe, everyplace is as close as your back door. We're too violent, or spiritually undeveloped? Using the same logic above, if we're a tough civilization, there are going to be half of all civilizations tougher than us.

There just don't seem to be any aliens around. No big deal. There was never any guarantee there were any. Just a lot of stories. Whether we're the only civilization in the universe, or whether we're one in a trillion, it doesn't make any difference to us as individuals. We're just greasy little specks that twitch around for an instant then die. Nobody will ever know or care.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by L.J.C

wow..

that guy is a classic learned idiot..

so smart and full of himself he is stupid..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
wow, just wow.

The extent of our arrogance knows no bounds.

Yes, earth is the centre of the universe, yes, we are the only sentient life. And were doing one hell of a good job with wiping ourselves out - which at this current state would be a good thing - god help the universe if we realy were alone out here - we'd destroy it all in the name of money.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
hi ats freinds

Kinda strange how scientist or certain ones say this,,,???

Some years back so were saying no water was on mars or the moon,,,..

we only got a .000000000000001(10 to the power of a 100000) on a glimpse what we can see whats out there,,,and intelligent life can develop quite differently than us,,,,

i agree it is very very very rare when highly intelligent life happens,,but say you bought a 1-3 lottery ticket a day,,,pretty good chance you would eventually win after some millions of years or a billion ???

I wonder what his theory on if theres plant life/animal life on other planets...

There are some skeptics who beleive this,,some are good kind people to but just their beleif,,,,,the church as also opened up a tiny tad saying its possible...

i guess we are at a stalemate with eachother on this,,,but the numbers and now knowing mars had rivers and sea's at one time add more credibilty that maybey there could be vast life out there,,

we also need warp speed capabilty to learn more but maybe only 1 out of a million intelligent advanced species ever get that far,,,or the other intelligent species isnt to far away,,,and after a 1000+ years some species have made such contact,,,

conatct also can be in question as well,,,if its wise,,,reguardless on good intentions even on both parties....

if we found a tiny tiny small snail fossil on mars that would really shake up some those scientist,,,,,,lol,,they better be wearing their diaper that day!!!!!

I myself beleive there are some advanced or races similar to us,,,,,,but what I think on mostly is just plant life on planets,,,its a matter of time if conditioned right other species would pop up,,,

I know if a planet has a ocean,,,i am not saying grizzly bears or elephants will be there in a couple billion years,,,,,,smile

life itself can pop out of no where I guess,,,,

microbes that can live and thrive in 500 degree water,,,or sit dorment for for ages hidden,,,

maybey some planets could have deep underground rivers/ice sheets,,,

I was reading and looking at pictures of planets that are 100's of times the size of earth and suns that could hold a 1000 of ours,,,,

its beyond unbeleivable whats out there,,a few million light years away,,space could be a ocean and the other dimension/univeres could be like land,,,

we all can agree its beyond our imagination,,where the laws of physics dont apply to certain areas of space,,,,

I understand with my heart if some dont think ET's have visited her,,, but to say the universe is void of any life is beyond me...that we are the only intelligent life is ,,,well,,,blind to me,,,

thanks for the post on this and kinda gets one thinking...

smile

Kona

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I believe life exists elsewhere in the universe, it's probably teeming with it, but to be really open minded I must also acknowledge that life in the universe has to start somewhere and there's still a small chance that that somewhere is here, that we are the first intelligent life forms ever and it's us who will eventually spread the seed of life throughout the cosmos.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobbyTarass
reply to post by Aliensun

I'll keep it simple : they do not defy gravity nor they are side-stepping the principles of physics

Lesson one : gravity pulls the bird down (toward the earth)

Lesson two : bird flaps his wings and so produce a force that pushes him up (away from the earth)

Lesson three : if a friend a you push a object up while you pull this object down with the same force, it won't go up or down.

That's like jumping : you push your body up with a greater force than the gravity that pull you down and thus are in the air (woohoo you are defying gravity).

I made it clear and hope you understand, this is not side-stepping the principles of physics, this is physics.

Keep your disdain as you don't seem to be the brightest individual in this "class".

"Distain?" please read the kindness in your original post to me to understand "distain." I usually respond in kind. Sorry, an old habit of mine.

Thank you for twisting your original statement around to agree with the simple example in my signature line and in my response to you. However, it still seems in your argument above you are still confused about what the natural consequences that pure physics demands and what strange things can happen when pure physics is augmented with another force. In this case, that would be wings on birds and null-mass units in UFOs.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I agree.
Fishtanks.
We will never meet anyone.
It's simple.
Question is only one:
is this for purpose(and here's interesting thing for another topic).

(rest read my sig).
edit on 24-1-2011 by potential_problem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by L.J.C

If people keep thinking like that mindkind will never reach to the Stars

Second line

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
That would be unlikely. There are so many planets in our galaxy, which had many millenia of habitable life headstart on us, that we might actually be among the last ones to join the party.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
very interesting replies,,

we may not be able to travel to the vast depths of space to meet them,,,but do keep an open mind what we have acheived in the last 70 years,,we just opened our eyes somewhat,,,

we us as people got to strive better to survive this life and hope we can make it,,
I hope no nucleur bombs dont blow up and set us back,,,
somehow I worry though on that.....there are some here who would happily use it..

lets hope and pray not..

but back to the topic in another 50-100 years who knows what new ways of science and discovery will bring us,,new devices to search for intelligent life,,,

In a 100 years the hubble would be a magnifying glass compared to the new insturments...like 8mm to dvd,,,

may take more than a GI joe walkie talkie to communicate or our so called high tech as we know it,,,to find intelligent life,,,

in another 100 years from now will be unbeleivable...

i sure hope things get better but tend to think unhappy about life...and our world,,,

but lets stay positive,,ok

Kona

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
That scientist is like most conventional scientists, he can't even think outside his own house never mind the universe. One word... Imbecile.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Uhoh! Nasa forgot to photoshop a couple of their images!

www.funnydesigns.com...

www.seeitornot.faketrix.com...

Guess this proves ET life exists. My guess based off these highly authentic & verifiable photographs is about as logical as that Harvard astronomer claiming there is "no life" in the universe based off analysis of a few planets.
edit on 24-1-2011 by MasonicFantom because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join