It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget about ET - We are alone in the Universe!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Listen, I think we misunderstood each other, I'm not a natural english speaker so I have a hard time trying to figure out if you're wordplaying with the meaning of "defying gravity" and "side-stepping the principles of physics" or going in another direction, I still don't understand what you're trying to explain with your quote but I won't argue anymore as I do not want to raise a quotewar over something like that and hope you'll forgive me if I sounded arrogant, that wasn't my intention, I tend to be a bit carried on when discussing some subjects, that's a bad habit of mine.

I will accept the fact that I may not understand your statement because of my lack of vocabulary and apologize about it.
edit on 24-1-2011 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Dear Chadwickus

Wright brothers Orville & Wilbur made there first powered flight in 1903, which is only 108 years ago.

If and it is a big if we survive what do you think we will be doing a thousand years from now???????????????????

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

I'm glad to see people still miss my point entirely...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
To say for certain that we're alone in the universe is just nonsense...
That kind of ignorance is not healthy for anyone..

Cant wait for the day they announce the fact we're not alone in this amazing universe though!

edit: spelling
edit on 25-1-2011 by skekke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by L.J.C

I really pity any Daily Mail readers who'd be duped.

I really pity Daily Mail readers.

Seriously, come on!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

With our current understanding of technology.....and THAT is the major caveat here.

Other civilizations that may be out there, may be far older and more advanced than we are.

Just a century ago, the idea of reaching the other side of the globe in a day seemed impossible, let alone a man setting foot on the moon.

As we've already seen in our own "recent" history...technology advances exponentially. A distance that seems impossible today may be commonplace in another century, even for us...let alone any older civilization that may be out there, and THAT is why the idea is NOT ludicrous, but logical, that others could certainly be visiting us, EVEN with those distances in mind.

Much as I would like to believe in FTL travel or some dimensional finagle, I just can't see anyway of doing it (even if you had the power and kit) without killing yourself, erasing your history and altering time. Major bummer, as all that SF stuff about interstellar trade, meeting new and interesting beings etc. goes straight in the bin. The only way I can see to do it is by some portal but with major caveats or a sort of "grow your own" avatar that your portal links into but is on a ship that travels way sub C.

As for the original post, obviously scientists talk complete cobblers sometimes.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong about the FTL thing, as I'm away to spend 6 weeks camping outside in the middle of nowhere looking for UFOs, so it's going to be a complete waste of time otherwise.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
i have no idea how anyone can believe that we are alone in this universe

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I trust Stephen Hawking a hellava lot more than that guy.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I think it is pretty ignorant to think that we are alone in the Universe. In fact, I think its mathematically impossible that we are alone.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienGrey

Just to reiterate, the scientist in the article is stressing that he feels we are alone in our immediate surroundings (in other words, a distance that HE feels would make travel possible). So, he isn't necessarily stating there aren't any, just not in our galactic neighborhood and visiting us.

But, I feel this is very short-sighted. For example, he's not considering that older civilizations may have developed ways of FTL travel that we cannot yet comprehend. Just using our own tech as an example, we can see how such advances happen exponentially...we went from horseback to being on the moon in a century's time.

In addition, we're learning that conditions once thought "hostile" to life may not be. I'll even make the prediction that within my lifetime (at least another 50 years, I'm hoping), we'll discover ET life right here in our own solar system (the oceans of Europa, for example). I didn't say intelligent life, but this scientist also failed to make that distinction.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't think we are the only intelligent life in the Universe -- the Universe is too big for us to be the only life...

...However, I would say we are "alone" in the same respects that I would say people stranded on a deserted island are "alone". Those castaways could consider themselves to be alone (as a group) because even though there are 6 billion other people on Earth, the castaways are isolated -- i.e. they are stuck on that island without any way to travel vast distances, and the rest of the world doesn't even know the island exists, because it is just a tiny island in a huge ocean
edit on 1/26/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hi group, I am a targetted individual of mind control and a lot of what is used on me could be describred as space aged weapons. If i didnt know better and havent been fully mind controlled to belive aliens are the ones behind the thousands of world wide targetted individuals targetting. I used to know a woman who was a target and claimed she was abducted by a E.T. Crazy claims some may say, but she really belives this, trouble is with mimd control os that the controllers can plant false memories in the mind of the target.

Anyway she tells me of REMOTE VIEWERS (has anybody heard of remote viewing) telling her that there was high activity of Negs and Greys in the area of the U.S that she was living. Remote Viewers are said to be able to pick up on u.f.o activity, Idont know what you think about this. I personally dont belive in aliens and belive they are used to cover up technologies and incidents that the secret services are up to. But I will close my mind to nothing and would not ridicule no-one for there sincere belifes.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

With our current understanding of technology.....and THAT is the major caveat here.

Other civilizations that may be out there, may be far older and more advanced than we are.

Just a century ago, the idea of reaching the other side of the globe in a day seemed impossible, let alone a man setting foot on the moon.

As we've already seen in our own "recent" history...technology advances exponentially. A distance that seems impossible today may be commonplace in another century, even for us...let alone any older civilization that may be out there, and THAT is why the idea is NOT ludicrous, but logical, that others could certainly be visiting us, EVEN with those distances in mind.

Exactly. I don't understand why more people don't understand this. We always think of technology in terms of what WE know. You can't do that if you're talking about an advanced race of aliens. We simply have no concept of what they might be capable of. I laugh when people say 'never' or 'impossible'. It's just so ridiculous and close-minded to think that way. All evidence suggests we most likely are NOT alone.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
...However, I would say we are "alone" in the same respects that I would say people stranded on a deserted island are "alone". Those castaways could consider themselves to be alone (as a group) because even though there are 6 billion other people on Earth, the castaways are isolated -- i.e. they are stuck on that island without any way to travel vast distances, and the rest of the world doesn't even know the island exists, because it is just a tiny island in a huge ocean
That's a brilliant analogy, relevant to the thread and somewhat representative of what the professor is claiming.

Carl Sagan did several calculations of the number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy.

Using his optimistic numbers the quantity was so huge that SETI should have already detected alien technology.

Using his more pessimistic numbers, he came up with 10 intelligent civilizations in the Milky way. If that number is right and if they are somewhat uniformly distributed through the galaxy, there is no way SETI will detect them with today's technology and even with their more advanced technology, there's no guarantee they will be able to detect us or travel here, though we can't say it's impossible.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Using his optimistic numbers the quantity was so huge that SETI should have already detected alien technology.

Did he factor in time though? (and types of communications?) For example, how long until we stop using radio waves, etc.? That means that maybe (once we stopped using them) we've been sending out radio communications for (lets be generous) 300 years. Cosmologically speaking, that's a VERY tight window. Even if an advanced civilization is within 300 light years of us, they may be too advanced to be looking for such waves, or not yet advanced enough to be using them. Additionally, if further, even the first messages are STILL ON THE WAY to this civilization.....

Same thing works in reverse. If THEIR last signals were sent 1000 years ago, means they got here 700 years ago, when were ill-equipped to recognize them, etc.

I'm not surprised SETI hasn't detected a signal, even if the galaxy is teeming with civilizations. The distances involved mean overlapping windows of using recognized messages is pretty limiting.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by L.J.C

Yeah.. That article is idiotic as hell.
Of course we have found no earth like planets when we dont have the capability to even look for solar systems that are like our own. We are currently only able to find large gas like planets or rocky planets that orbit very closely to their star. If we had the capability to find earth sized planets with same distance from a similar star then i bet things would be very different.
I bet there are plenty of earth like planets out there.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
*Sigh* it's very easy to find out the truth. Dig at the bottom of a Mars canyon. There must be at least microscophic fossilized life forms.

If not, we are alone and the formation of a DNA chain was indeed an impossible occurrence of events that shouldn't have happened but it did. All I know is I'm alive and gonna drink beer tomorrow. So good thing it did. If this "isn't meant to be" it sure as hell is a nice thing to happen, this life.

Maybe someone out there somewhere is also wondering if aliens exist. To them I'm an alien, one who drinks beer wondering the same thing, they just don't know it.

Of course someone would say Mars was once a part of us... and we'd have to go dig to that sea bottom of the Jupiter moon...
edit on 27-1-2011 by Jonas86 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join