It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget about ET - We are alone in the Universe!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
As an aside, it's interesting to see how different people are reading and seeing such different things in this article.
(Or it's just that some only read the OP and not bothered to read all of what was said)

I think it's an ingrained issue with UFOlogy, namely seeing what you want to see.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by planetzog
How can someone say we are alone when it cannot be confirmed.

There are millions of planets out there and the only way to confirm we are alone is to visit every planet.

And explain and confirm every UFO sighting since the dawn of time as non-ET.

I think some people make these outragous statements just to get attention. We dont even no if the universe is infinate or not. But if it is, then everything is possible.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I see the trend that members on ATS don't read all the replies of a first page before feeling their opinion on a matter should be stated is still going on strong.

Or even reading the headline in the link to the article involved:

We ARE alone: Despite discovering more planets, the chances of finding ET are unlikely, says astronomer

Let's not even start on the thread's author and how they manipulated an article to present unnecessary bias.

Good to see both sides of the community though agreeing that there probably is lots of life out there somewhere even if them reaching us or the other way around seem improbable.

-m0r

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

You seem to be a classic example of what I mention in the post above.

Notice I say "seems impossible"

Seeing what you want to see.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimshady

There are millions of planets out there and the only way to confirm we are alone is to visit every planet.

I think some people make these outragous statements just to get attention. We dont even no if the universe is infinate or not. But if it is, then everything is possible.

And your use of bad grammar is enough to get anyone's attention!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Well, in READING the article, he even applies this to ALL ET life, not just intelligent life. In stating this, he's already shooting himself in the foot. We've already identified liquid water and possible life conditions (as we know it) on planets and moons in our own solar system. How's THAT for close, Mr. Scientist?

This isn't even considering types of life that fall outside our normal experience, such as the recent announcement (of a decade's old discovery) by NASA of bacteria that have a different element-based DNA structure, etc.

Most scientists agree that there is a liquid ocean under the icy crust of Europa...Who knows what kinds of strange creatures may even now swim in that ocean? Perhaps even evolved intelligent aquatic aliens?

I think he's being way too close-minded here, given the available information just in our own solar system. The Universe is likely TEEMING with life, if our own solar system is the model.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I was agreeing with you. Im sorry my intelligence is'nt to your satisfaction.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I was agreeing with you. Im sorry my intelligence is'nt to your satisfaction.

Please accept my sincerest apology you handsome, gorgeous, kind, wonderful, intelligent human being that you are.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobbyTarass

Originally posted by Aliensun

Please read the second line in my signature. It explains a fairly simply how that math is irrelevant.

You can't be serious.

How wings can defy gravity ? Wtf are you thinking ?

Just for you, others are ahead in the class.
Lesson One (a question): Birds jump up into the air and then what?

Lesson Two: Birds do not immediately fall to the ground as physics (gravity) demands after jumping into the air.

Test (of your deductions from Lesson One and Two) : Why does physics( gravity) not rule in this case?

Answer: Birds have a remarkable ability to over come physics (gravity) with an innate bodily adaption.

Explanation of answer: This specific remarkable attribute is called "flying."

Historical note: Not much more than a century ago, most men of science refused to believe that humans could emulate bird flight. Authority after authority wrote paper after paper proclaiming that physics would not allow it.

Current revelency: Some people have difficulty accepting that a massless machine is possible. Probably causes are varied and several.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yeal ill admit im guilty of that, but the reason was, after reading the OP headline i didnt want to read the article (it already sounded so outrageous). It's rare that someone would post an article or news and make the Headline sound so misleading...

Putting that omission aside the article is still outrageous in many ways;

Excerpt:

Dr Smith said: ‘We have found that most other planets and solar systems are wildly different from our own.
‘They are very hostile to life as we know it.’

Original OP Article

How can he possibly know 100% that is the case??
edit on 24-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobbyTarass
He didn't say we were alone in the universe

You guys need to read the paper, the title of this thread is highly misleading.

Quote from online news article: "A leading astronomer has concluded there probably aren’t any aliens out there – meaning we are entirely alone in the universe"

Sorry, but it's the paper that's taken things out of context here from said Astronomer, as I quote what I've read.

The title of the article at the bottom of page 5 of the newspaper itself says "Forget about ET - We are alone" yet this differs online - "We ARE alone: Despite discovering more planets, the chances of finding ET are unlikely, says astronomer" Capitals for 'ARE'...I detect a desperate need to convince - Brainwashing at it's best

Disclosure is the gravest threat to the current western economic control structure because if people ever put down their papers & decided to look up & really know & comprehend other life beyond their own mundane existence (religion/sport/celebs/gossip/entertainment/media/mantra etc....) it'll spell game over for so many reasons & those in the know are aware of that. Peoples attention focus would change & although I'd be a fool for thinking people will ever be united & living happily ever after, the power structure would crumble & that is what THEY FEAR!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The end all be all of it is....we as a society are far better off pulling our worlds resources together to find the answer for disease, famine, immortality, etc...than we are pulling the worlds resources together in order to find little green men billions of light years away.

After we get better on our feet as a world, there will still be plenty of time to focus our entire resources on exploring the galaxy (maybe even the universe). The earth isn't going anywhere anytime soon (despite what the ignorant alarmist cry every two days) so there is no need to push for anything but societal cures at this point in time.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I'll keep it simple : they do not defy gravity nor they are side-stepping the principles of physics

Lesson one : gravity pulls the bird down (toward the earth)

Lesson two : bird flaps his wings and so produce a force that pushes him up (away from the earth)

Lesson three : if a friend a you push a object up while you pull this object down with the same force, it won't go up or down.

That's like jumping : you push your body up with a greater force than the gravity that pull you down and thus are in the air (woohoo you are defying gravity).

I made it clear and hope you understand, this is not side-stepping the principles of physics, this is physics.

Keep your disdain as you don't seem to be the brightest individual in this "class".

@L.J.C : well you're right I was only stating that if you read the whole article you can clearly see that the astronomist isn't saying such things, the journalist and the creator of this thread are misleading.
edit on 24-1-2011 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This astronomer is a troll!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Dr Smith said: ‘We have found that most other planets and solar systems are wildly different from our own. ‘They are very hostile to life as we know it.’

hostile to whom? I rarely stereo-type, but for this guy I can say is the epitome of pedantry. One who is void of any imagination and can only think within the knowledge that he absorbs with no capability of extension. Any where a gourmet cappuccino cannot be obtained within 5 min. walking distance is a hostile environment to him...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Huge fan of your posts, much respect, but I have to say I strongly disagree with this point:

But the further away these intelligent beings are, the harder it is for them to get here.

Even the closest potential stars are so impossibly far away (or next to impossible) that the only possible way any being could hope to traverse those distances is with a method of travel that makes distance irrelevant (or next to irrelevant). For this reason, it's just as easy for the closest aliens to reach us as it is for the furthest.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thank you, this stuff is funny considering we don't even have quantum computers up and running all over the place yet; once we do (and it won't be to much longer) our technology will jump so far ahead from where it is now, it will be like comparing an iPhone to the stone age.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hmmm. well you know I think this is one arrogant astronomer in his statement. There are mathematical probabilities to the existence of life even intelligent life in the universe well beyond our own. My guess is he probably thinks the Earth is still flat too. Even here on Earth we discover new and unknown species of life all the time.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Get this scientist in a room full of abductes who genially believe that they experienced something out of this world and let him tell them this,he would be laughed out of he room.

Now for the implications that ETs could not get here and would not have the advanced teck to make this possible, i remember this article , see below;

VLT/Our Laws Of Physics COULD be Wrong?? **Breaking** VLT May Have Proven That Our Laws Of Physics Are Wrong - The Universe Is Not Equal!

"the VLT (Very Large Telescope) in Chile has found that may prove our science based knowledge of laws and physics in the universe is completely and utterly incorrect and the so called experts in these matters may have to issue apologies for trying to ridicule the people who disagreed with them". "Defying Einstein's equivalence principle, which states that the laws of physics are the same everywhere, researchers have found new evidence that supports the idea that we live in an area of the universe that is "just right" for our existence". Taking data from the Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile Webb has observed that alpha varies in space rather than time. The VLT data suggests that, elsewhere in the universe, the value of alpha is very slightly bigger than on Earth; Laws of physics are not the same everywhere;

The study above will be published in Physical Review Letters. (ANI)
link;sify.com...

SOURCE LINK; sify.com...

Now what are the chances of advanced ETs having technology so advanced and based on THEIR particular laws of physics that every photo or film every taken of their technology,(UFOs), are recording time and space distortions. Possibilities are endless, fact and until debunkers can prove without doubt that these possibilities are NOT endless then the case for ET visitation remains open.We don not know all that there is to know and those that bang the drum saying they do are the ones to AVOID.

edit on 15/07/2010 by K-PAX-PROT because: LINK SOURCE CORRECTION

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by L.J.C

Didn't john mac also work at harvard?

Did this guy know him and talk with him on what ever issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join