It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Pianist Plays Anti American Tune At Obama's State Dinner for China

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I betting that Obama's administration didn't even knew that he was going to play and if they did they didn't care; half expecting us to not notice or care ourselves, but we did. I'm really beginning to wonder what the funk the world would do if we said;guess what world handle it all yourselves because were going recluse for a lonnnnng while.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

blogs.wsj.com...

Chinese-born pianist Lang Lang has responded to critics of his performance at a recent White House state dinner for President Hu Jintao and President Barack Obama.

At the event, Lang played a a number that he introduced as “a Chinese song called ‘My Motherland.’”

“My Motherland” is the theme song for “Battle on Shangganling Mountain,” a 1956 anti-U.S. movie about the Korean War. Some listeners have interpreted the song choice as a slight against the U.S.

In a statement, Lang said “I selected this song because it has been a favorite of mine since I was a child. It was selected for no other reason but for the beauty of its melody.”

He also said “America and China are my two homes. I am most grateful to the United States for providing me with such wonderful opportunities, both in my musical studies and for furthering my career. I couldn’t be who I am today without those two countries.”

Lang said that he wants to “bridge cultures together through the beauty and inspiration of music.”

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Its been completly blown out of proportion!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

Yep. Not an unfamilair phenomena these days in politics. ...both left and right.

All we can do is continue to call for sanity.

Just because some who were born in 1950's in China associate it with the movie doesn't mean this kid who played it who was was born in the 80's has any such association.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Just because some who were born in 1950's in China associate it with the movie doesn't mean this kid who played it who was was born in the 80's has any such association.

Again, just your wishful thinking and not what the article said. Are you purposely trying to be disingenuous?

How many people in the UK would just laugh it off if, for example, an American artist played "the Battle of New Orleans" during a visit to the queen of England?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by brianjordan
Does the talks with China remind anybody else of the Japanese Peace Talks just before World War 2?

No.

The Japanese were polite.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It's interesting because in actuality America actually owns China almost as much as they own us.

This is because although they own a huge portion of our debt, they need America and the rest of the world to keep spending and raising that debt or they won't have anywhere to export all their stuff to.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by maybereal11

Again, just your wishful thinking and not what the article said. Are you purposely trying to be disingenuous?

Uhhh What? Am I obligated to repeat the OP article or I am being dishonest?

What I did do was research to try to understand the situation...the history of the song, it's association with the movie, when that movie came out, how younger Chinese folks like the Pianist do not associate it with the movie at all etc.

I also posted links to the WSJ statement he released.

What a weird claim....I am being disingenuous for not repeating the OP article, but instead adding more information? Please explain.
edit on 24-1-2011 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This is really embarassing for our country. Every time Obama tries to do something with foreign relations, he ends up looking like an idiot, cant wait for this to end in 2012, we need a Patriot like Ron Paul to run again.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

Nothing represents something for everyone. It represents something for the people who know it. That cannot possibly be all 1.3 billion Chinese, just like not every American knows that Apocalypse now means A B C.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I heard a quote from an interview from Lang Lang. He said that "he had no idea about the subject matter of the music. It was just a lovely melody".

Horse Crap!

Show me a real musician that has no idea about the history of the music he is playing.

Had he been a European with no idea about chinese music. I MIGHT give them a "maybe".

This was just a finger in the eye.

Screw China and anyone that supports it!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
How many people in the UK would just laugh it off if, for example, an American artist played "the Battle of New Orleans" during a visit to the queen of England?

How about this one:

How would Americans react if Elgar's "Land of Hope and Glory", a strongly British, pro-Monarchist song that is the anthem of the UK's conservative party (ie. the Tories) were played at graduations across the USA every year?

Oh, wait, it is.

I was in Washington years ago for independence day ceremonies, and I had a bit of a laugh (quietly, mind you) as the band struck up "My country tis of thee" - the music of course being "God Save The Queen" anywhere else in the world.

Does the origin of these two songs have any bearing on how they're perceived in the USA? I'd say it doesn't. People remember songs long after the reasons for their composition have been lost to the musicologists and folklorists, and assign them new meanings - often regardless of the lyrics. Think about that next time you hear "Good Riddance (Time of your life)".

Anyway. One more for your consideration:

Hail to the chief, who in triumph advances,
Honored and bless'd be the evergreen pine!
Long may the tree in his banner that glances,
Flourish, the shelter and grace of our line.
Heav'n send it happy dew,
Earth lend it sap anew,
Gaily to bourgeon and broadly to grow;
While ev'ry highland glen,
Sends our shout back again,
"Roderigh Vich Alpine dhu, ho! i-e-roe!"

Ours is no sapling, chance-sown by the fountain,
Blooming at Beltane, in winter to fade;
When the whirlwind has stripp'd ev'ry leaf on the mountain,
The more shall Clan Alpine exult in her shade.
Moor'd in the lifted rock,
Proof to the tempest shock,
Firmer he roots him, the ruder it blow;
Menteith and Breadalbane, then,
Echo his praise again,
"Roderigh Vich alpine dhu, ho! i-e-roe!"

Row, vassals, row for the pride of the Highlands!
Stretch to your oars for the evergreen pine!
Oh, that the rosebud that graces yon islands,
Were wreath'd in a garland around him to twine!
O, that some seedling gem,
Worthy such noble stem,
Honor'd and bless'd in their shadow might grow!
Loud should Clan Alpine then,
Ring from her deepmost glen,
"Roderigh Vich Alpine dhu, ho! i-e-roe!"

...that's the original form. Strange message it's sending - if anyone ever bothered to look close enough. But no one does - and because no one does, it doesn't have that meaning anymore.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Marulo
Well I am a fan of Lang Lang. I suppose I don't really know his intentions, but I highly doubt any sinister intent. It sure was a pretty song. .

SIDE NOTE .. I love your avatar!!

The music itself is very nice. Great tune. BUT .. The intent of the song is very important and can't be over stated. You don't go to a state dinner in another country and strike up a tune in 'the people's house' .. a tune that calls their military 'jackels' and calls for killing them .. ya' know?

I haven't seen any info that can debate those facts. I hope the story is wrong.
But so far it looks to be correct.

well certainly anything can be overstated. for example "Him playing this tune was a declaration of war, and should be treated as such".

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
who the hell gives a crap

if this is how people can vent their opinions then id say its better than war.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sectumsempra
Got to love the current imagine of the U.S.Of A. I guess this is what the people of the Left, the anti war supports, people with White guilt, just guilt it's self and so forth wanted in the White House.

I really don't know what it is that your trying to convey with this sporatic, non-sensical jibberish. If you want to re-write this in proper literary form, then some might read it. I think I would have an easier time translating brail.

Current imagine??????? what does it all mean Basel

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I don't understand why so many people are brushing this off and calling it uneventful.
Clearly this was a deliberate and succesful attempt at humiliating the US and especially the President in his own home.

There are Trojan Horse elements at play here and all Obama can do is smile like the noted "jackal".

Duhhhhh!

Security may have been breached.
Don't be surprised if the White House has now been bugged.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The hypocrisy of anti-China whiners.

On one hand these people come to ATS supposedly to be "free thinking" / denying ignorance, on the other hand the very same people chew up any anti-China rethorics and propaganda that is served to them by the Imperialists Elite.

Sad....
edit on 24/1/11 by IchiNiSan because: Typo

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I love how people make assumptions based off something they read on the internet without actually visiting the countries. Let me give you a video of Shanghai www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I hate to degrade anyone but if you are seriously "offended" by a pianist playing a song, "anti-American" or not, then you are a LOSER. Plain and simple.

Every single person here complaining about it could fill a room, hear that song, and think nothing of it.

You were told to get upset and you get upset. And you get upset over a piece of music??? Really???

What happened to the phrase "sticks an stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me". If you heard this and were "hurt" you are a baby. Grow up.

I could care less what this pianist played, because it doesn't change anything. Did this song cost jobs? Did it shake up taxes? Did it cause an earthquake? No!!! It caused the overly sensitive, over reactive, cry baby, nanny state, hypocratic, PC American dummies to cry; but only after they were told to become upset of course.
edit on 24-1-2011 by GeechQuestInfo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Nice video, especially of the military man sitting behind her smiling all the while..beautiful voice and nice short presentation.

This has provoked a lot of comments that show some here love to see Americans get theirs so to speak while others are displaying very strong fears of China's owning America, especially now that the Dems are in power once again. It is all politics as usual.

Odd that when Bush was in office, the UK and Britain were America's best friend, and now that Barack Obama is in the office, it is France who is America's best friend...so say the media buffs.

I would like to know several things before becoming alarmed:

One, how much property in America does China own?
Two, how deeply in debt did the Bush Administration plunge America into by having China as the creditor?

What is the real relationship between the two nations? Is the Pentagon really afraid of the new Chinese stealth jet? Will China really become the superpower of the world in twenty years? Is China for real or bogus ?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join