It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Pianist Plays Anti American Tune At Obama's State Dinner for China

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Lamest thread ever, especially the comments.

I really don't see anything wrong with China thumbing their noses at us. We love to get all Johnny-Come-Lately and wave our little flags and sing "Don't # with us!". Why can't they do the same?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

It is not that Americans would not do the manufacturing jobs. It is that the workers would demand an equitable wage. The EPA would demand proper disposal of wastes. And OSHA would demand a safe work place. All of this comes at a cost to the profit margin of the company in question. I cannot fault the men, women, and children of China who work diligently to make a meager living. They are pawns in the larger game as are the Americans who have lost manufacturing jobs. I am flustered and frustrated that America does not manufacture our own goods anymore.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

You also have to consider the pathetic living conditions and lack of protective equipment. Getting paid $1 a day and living in a damn sweat shop. Oh lets not forget the child labor!

edit on 24-1-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
The posts on this thread are making me laugh. All I can say is WOW

No wonder America is in decline. Bush makes out with the King of Saudia Arabia and all the right wingers are OK with it. Obama bows(which is customary) to show respect for a head of State which owns the US and he's weak.

Frickin' hilarious. And who gives two rats asses about this made up controversy.

Blind Patriotism should be labelled a mental disorder.

Empires fall America, why would the US be any different. It's always the same reason also, they run out of money.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

That is unfortunate, as the poster above was saying, Americans will and would work those same manufacturing jobs, but because china will do it cheaper, basically they win the bid.

In my city alone 5 manufacturers of various products have moved to other countries to produce their products, leaving hundreds of factory workers without a job, many of them worked their entire lives in this factories, and still would if they were still open.

Now technology is the mainstay of American jobs it seems. Being a tech person, to be exact. Running all the computers and programs that are produced all over the world, america included. Higher paying jobs, no doubt, but a 50 yr old factory worker with no other skills is left behind.

The whole proposition is lose/lose for everyone except the company owners.

eidt to add info: I cannot view your videos from this computer.
edit on 24-1-2011 by space cadet because: adding info

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

No Harm done. That was another accurate attempt without soul. The resulting performance to anyone with a musically trained ear, would appear obviously shallow. Think about it, one of the most powerful and wealthy countries
in the the world....has only that Copyright infringement to offer. Make no mistake, I am a great lover of both the
I Ching and Lao Tzu. But I can smell intellectual property right infringement a mile a way.
Disrespect deserves punishment no matter what the culture, country, or time line of humanity.

It all balances out in the wash. One way or another.

I love China, but it appears that some of their citizens have forgotten that The United States of America
settled the invasions of Russia and Japan. Remember? Need I refresh your memory?
Give respect where respect is due, and not one Bruce Lee style chopstick less.

Don't mess with American Music.....Ever. And quit Stealing our designs, products, and patents.

The un carved block would consider you no more than an evil wind in the night.

Have you no honor? No dignity? No respect for your own ancestors?

Surely the great China is more than just a petty thief.

Have you become a spoiled child? Shame,,,Shame on you.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Typo

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

The first video is about a Nike contractor in Malaysia using forced labor and forcing workers to live in appalling conditions, The second about child labor in China.

Pros and Cons of Child labor

Child labor's main advantage is that compared with employing an adult it is remarkably cheap. This means that a business expense can be driven down be expanding its child workforce. This in turn increases a business profits, which is the ultimate goal in any economical climate. Child labor can be a key cog in a system which ultimately provides a nation with more money, which in turn grants it greater political power and a higher likelihood of being able to deal with the more advanced, richer nations in the West which tend not to use child labor.

Child labor is a prevalent driving force in countries such as China and Vietnam and it is easy to imagine the scope of goods that are manufactured from such regions. Good which are produced in bulk such as toys, packaging, furniture and clothes are all mainly produced in these countries and others like them, due to the low cost of manufacturing which is a result of child labor. A major benefit means that consumers in developed nations will theoretically pay less for the goods which they purchase.

Continued - see link.

Child labor pros and cons continued

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Your explanation is well understood to more people every day.

The exploitation however, is casually ignored.

Where are the global standards? Where is The United States of America? Where is the United Nations?

They seem to have turned a blind eye to this matter. Influenced by profiteers, and controlled by profiteers.

When there are no ethics or morals, there is no cornerstone or foundation.

The World becomes a castle made of sand.

The merciless ocean tides, unruly and regardless,,,, have their way.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Insert/typo

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 24-1-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Castles Made of Sand link added

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
MY America did not suffer from so fragile an ego.

MY America expects guests to behave in a better fashion.
Especially those wined and dined on my tax money with a state dinner honoring them.

Originally posted by vox2442
What I see is a story designed to portray the PRC government as laughing at the USA, and portray supporters of the PRC as anti-American.

If the story is true .. and so far we don't have anything to say it isn't .. then the Chinese Gov't IS laughing at the USA.

Originally posted by harryhaller
This is hilarious!! Not really an insult, more like a friendly poke. .

If the Queen of England came for a state dinner and the band started playing Darth Vader music when she came in, do you think that would be a friendly poke .. or something totally out of place for an event at that level? There is a time and place for everything.

Originally posted by space cadet
That song is about as anti American as Kid Rock's 'Born Free'. What is the big deal here?
Thanks for putting the lyrics up Puterman.

Again .. it's not the lyrics of the song .. it's the movie that the song goes to. The movie is anti-american .. 'Kill the Jackels' (Jackels being Americans) ... What you are saying the equivalant to this ... it would be okay to play the Darth Vader theme music when the Queen of England came in because there isn't anything anti-English in the lyrics of the music .. even though the music itself is completely attached to the dark evil darth vader and THAT is what the message would be. Get it??

Originally posted by harrytuttle
This thread seems more like an excuse to do some Obama bashing than anything else.

:shk: And where did you see that? No where. But YOU sure are trying to do some spinning here. :shk:
Obama is discussed a bit because it was him who threw the state dinner, but if you think this is a Obama bashing thread, then you seriously need to get out and tour ATS more often. It's not even close.

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ
Bush makes out with the King of Saudia Arabia and all the right wingers are OK with it. Obama bows(which is customary) to show respect for a head of State which owns the US and he's weak.

1 - Bush didn't 'make out' with the King of Saudi Arabia .. he held his hand while walking which is a custom over there. It DID set off the homophobic back here however ...
2 - Obama's 'bows' were way too deep and over used - even by the standards of the countries that he is supposedly honoring with them. More ineptitude from someone who isn't qualified to hold the office.

Blind Patriotism should be labelled a mental disorder.

So should your partisanship ... BTW .. are you telling deliberate lies or just getting your facts wrong? :shk:
edit on 1/24/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed italics

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
Epoch Times has a habit of making things up to make the PRC government look bad. ...
I'd retire this one to the Sorcha Fail file for now.

They got it right.

Wall Street Journal

So it comes as a bit of a surprise that he is now being praised by nationalist Internet users in China for a perceived anti-U.S. slight supposedly implied in the 28-year-old’s choice of music that night.

Mr. Lang was invited to perform along with a number of U.S. jazz musicians. After bilingual comments to the assembled VIPs in which Mr. Lang said it was a “great honor” to be playing, he proceeded to perform a solo piece, which he introduced as a “Chinese song called ‘My Motherland.’”

As Chinese netizens have pointed out, “My Motherland” is the theme song for a famous anti-U.S. movie about the Korean War from 1956, titled “Battle on Shangganling Mountain.”

The performance has set the Chinese web abuzz—and more than a few people are convinced it wasn’t an accident.

And the bloggers in China are saying (because of this) that the USA is 'really stupid' ....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

how come the clothes in china seem to stay togther then?
one sided no it was just the other side of the argument
big difference
so i suppose everything in your house is made in the us is it?
i highly doubt that

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

We roll out the red carpet and serve $200 bottles of wine for a nation that despises our impure culture and the pianist plots to play this song. Pathetic. I am still waiting for the state dinner for our strongest allies in the UK. I don't think that dinner is on the WH calendar anytime soon.

This is an insulting slap in the face by a nation that literally has the US by the gonads. Oh what have we gotten ourselves into with this disturbing relationship with China....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

If no-one made an issue of this type of event, there wouldn't be an issue.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Actually the tune is extremely popular in China, but not because of it is tied to a Movie that has any"anti-American" sentiment. The fact is that the film has been pretty much forgotten in comparison to the music. Most Chinese people probably couldn't even tell you the movie it came from. The song itself has no anti-American lyrics at all.
Here is a translation of the Song
Chorus
This is a great river, its waves are wide and calm
The wind blows through the rice flowers, bearing fragrance to either shore
My home is right there by the water
I am used to hearing the punters' whistle
and seeing the white sails on the boats

Solo
This is a great river, its waves are wide and calm
The wind blows through the rice flowers, bearing fragrance to either shore
My home is right there by the water
I am used to hearing the punters' whistle
and seeing the white sails on the boats

Chorus
This is the beautiful motherland
The place where I grew up
In this expansive stretch of land
Wonderful landscape can be seen everywhere

Solo
Young ladies are like flowers
Young men have a big heart and grand visions
In order to construct a new realm
They have waked the sleeping mountains
And made the rivers change their appearance

Chorus
This is the motherland of heroes
In this stretch of ancient land
There is youthful vigour found everywhere

Solo
Great mountains, great rivers and an amazing place
Every road is flat and wide
When friends are here, there is fine wine
But if the wolves come
What greets it is the hunting gun

Chorus
This is the strong motherland
On this stretch of warm and friendly land
The sunshine of peace is everywhere

Also here is what the Wikipedia article had to say QUOTE:: "My Motherland" was called as "A Big River" (Chinese: 一条大河) by the author initially; it represented the hundreds of rivers that flowed by the homes of the Chinese people. The title was changed when it was published with movie.
Although the song was written for the movie about Korean War in 1950s, there is no mention of the war at all. It describes a soldier (or anyone who is away from home) thinking about his home and his family. Thus, this song is extremely popular even when the movie itself is almost forgotten.
The music for solo part has folk song styles similar to those in northern China. ::END QUOTE

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

The number of crazy freaky stories involving the US has now gone from monthly to weekly,
I guess once it gets to every day, it's game over.

Maybe Uncle Ben should just print and give 1 Trillion Bucks to every person in Umerica then you can spend your way out of Debt.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
Most Chinese people probably couldn't even tell you the movie it came from.

That's not what the Chinese blogs are saying today.

The song itself has no anti-American lyrics at all.

You didn't read the thread, did you?
We already know the song has no anti-American lyrics. It's the MOVIE that the song is a theme to that is anti-American. Go back and read the thread .. you'll see what the problem with this song being played at the white house is.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I am not really supprised ! The only people who have still got any respect for America, are a few American citizens who are too blind to see the truth about their beloved country.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Poor American babies....I'm sure you'll get over it.

"We're better than you!" "No WE'RE better than you!"

Yawn....

So tired of American immaturity and contempt when it comes to China-America or Iran-America threads.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by Marulo

We display American pride at the expense of foreigners everyday. Although I am not aware of an example of the same nature as this state dinner, I would not be surprised to learn of one.

Try doing the research before making such an absurd claim.

Would 'The star spangled banner' perchance be sufficient?

"Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just", some countries/states may see that in a similar manner. Of course, Rule Britannia is no better if we want to look for more examples.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
You know, every time I see something like this the words 'Much ado about nothing' swim into my head. Clearly I should be watching more Faux news and drinking the kool aid some more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join