It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michio Kaku Warns the World Citizens of Potential Mega Earthquake

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
not really an accurate thread as only large earthquakes can occur on plate boundaries not any where. they only affect cities nearby and there have been much larger earthquakes than the 8.8 chilean earth quake , for instance the like the valdivia earthquake which was 9.5 on the richter scale and a +1 icrease has an amplified impact which is 10 times more powerful. Also i think your title is quite misleading as a mega earthquake wil still only have an affect on a small local area unless it is in the ocean which as we saw in 2004 will cause a tsunami. and ok it may affect the length of the day but a micro second doesn't cause any drastic difference, nobody would notice if they weren't told lol

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
reply to post by WhizPhiz

i have to agree with you .. volcanoes are terrible especially if the yellowstone one erupt
but i was saying that we need an earthquake to wakeup a volcano of that magnitude

i dont beleive that a volcano can erupt just like that ..
its a consequence from an earthquake .. so in basic term ... its earthquakes that we need to fear more
they are the start of a chain reactions

Like this one is about too
www.eutimes.net...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
if it comes out of michio mouth it's either hacked, because all that guy does is hack everyone else's ideas, or it's some delusion plot from a star trek episode that he thinks is real.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
if it comes out of michio mouth it's either hacked, because all that guy does is hack everyone else's ideas, or it's some delusion plot from a star trek episode that he thinks is real.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This guy is like Ron Paul.
Interesting to listen too but most likely wrong on everything.

BTW I like them both.

They have good intentions.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 8311-XHT

If you are right and they don't leave your side... they will have your nice yummy corpse to survive off of for a while...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Funny...I live in the the Great NW..and we are going to have a one of a kind earthquake drill soon.
Wondering if they know something we don't know...or are just prepping us for somthing bigger?
Getting my BOB bag ready just in case.

Oregon's Largest Earthquake Drill Set For Jan. 26

PORTLAND, Ore. -- City and county emergency management offices are planning the state’s largest earthquake drill at 10:15 a.m. Wednesday.

www.kptv.com...
edit on 21-1-2011 by blue_fish because: spelling issues

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Being woken up at 4 am in the morning back in september by a 7.1 right under our feet, really opened my eyes to earthquakes can happen anywhere at any time. Un believeable feeling and noise. If a 9.0 or bigger happened, I dont think much will save you.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue_fish
Funny...I live in the the Great NW..and we are going to have a one of a kind earthquake drill soon.
Wondering if they know something we don't know...or are just prepping us for somthing bigger?
Getting my BOB bag ready just in case.

Oregon's Largest Earthquake Drill Set For Jan. 26

PORTLAND, Ore. -- City and county emergency management offices are planning the state’s largest earthquake drill at 10:15 a.m. Wednesday.

www.kptv.com...
edit on 21-1-2011 by blue_fish because: spelling issues

California had their statewide drill last fall. This article has some excellent info - here are a few tid bits from it:

It’s part of California’s annual earthquake drill – The Great California Shakeout. The event comes at time when scientists are warning a large-scale earthquake is long overdue.

UC Irvine seismologist Lisa Grant Ludwig has her eye on the southern San Andreas fault. "This section of the fault has accumulated as much strain, basically as much energy as it released in the last big one in 1857,"

www.kpbs.org...

And about the Great Oregon Shakeout:

why Jan. 26? That’s the 311th anniversary of the great Cascadia subduction zone earthquake, whose magnitude measured somewhere between 8.7 and 9.2 (Haiti’s earthquake was a 7, and Chile’s an 8.8). That massive tremor rattled the entire Pacific Northwest and caused a tsunami in Japan.

No quake of this magnitude has struck Oregon lately, but all that means is that we’re overdue for another massive seismic jolt.

blogs.wweek.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Well in the event that the SHTF you can find solace in the fact that your pets will serve as a short-term supply of food if you get trapped.
edit on 21-1-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
Well in the event that the SHTF you can find solace in the fact that your pets will serve as a short-term supply of food if you get trapped.

omg .. i will eat grass before i eat my pets

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I will eat it/them for you

Anyway, I doubt anything catastrophic will occur. Earthquakes happen, and a 1 microsecond change in the Earth's rotation is about as significant as a grain of sand in a beach. Probably occurs more often than we know.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
reply to post by Ben81

I will eat it/them for you

Anyway, I doubt anything catastrophic will occur. Earthquakes happen, and a 1 microsecond change in the Earth's rotation is about as significant as a grain of sand in a beach. Probably occurs more often than we know.

you will have to go through me first

humans are mostly ressourcefull .. and if something happen and we can go shpping food anymore .. we will grow gardens

i would have to be very desperated to kill a living thing and eat it afterward
after kiling it i would thank earth like in Avatar

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

That was the consensus when I was in University Geology courses in the early 1970's. It's been known and often repeated. Los Angeles is way overdue and each day is a gift when it does not happen. That has been taught and known for a long time now. It's hardly theory any longer and its just a matter of not knowing exactly how long the fuse is.

The person who's classes I took made us memorize and recite verbatim, three typewritten pages of what to do before during and after an earthquake. He tried to get the media in Los Angeles to routinely warn the residents this was a reality of living there, but he was blocked for economic worries. I see though that the last couple of years people are getting better information.

This person's prediction was a 9.1 or greater (old scale) epicentered east of Los Angeles. Oddly though his own house was built right at that location. Never understood that.

Nice to see a post about a credible prediction, from a credible source. He's also doing a good job of spreading truth about the absurd scare fest about the animal die offs. Not everyone likes to scare themselves with wild hysterical nonsense. But then truth can be boring. Not when it comes to this however. People living there need to be scared enough to be prepared and do what they can to make their homes safer and survivable.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I don't think Michio Kaku have any published named "Physics of the Future", the only one that I know is "Physics of the Impossible"

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
HEED THE KAKU!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join