It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Proposal for Postponement of Nov Elections

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
According to NewsWeek, officials are reviewing a proposal that would allow for the postponement of 2004 elections should a terror attack occur inside the United States this fall. Last week's terror warning involving Al Qaeda and possible election disruptions have many in counter-terrorism worried.

www.msnbc.msn.com
American counter-terrorism officials, citing what they call "alarming" intelligence about a possible Qaeda strike inside the United States this fall, are reviewing a proposal that could allow for the postponement of the November presidential election in the event of such an attack, NEWSWEEK has learned.

The prospect that Al Qaeda might seek to disrupt the U.S. election was a major factor behind last week's terror warning by Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge. Ridge and other counterterrorism officials concede they have no intel about any specific plots. But the success of March's Madrid railway bombings in influencing the Spanish elections�as well as intercepted "chatter" among Qaeda operatives�has led analysts to conclude "they want to interfere with the elections," says one official.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well someones prediction at ATS is about to come true. So many naysayers have really brushed this one off - this article gives me the chills. Elections are so important in this country - they must continue despite any disruption. I am really interested to hear ATS member chatter on this one.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 13-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
[edit on 2004-7-14 by Teknik]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It sounds like we are being set-up for a fall, this fall. It is apparent that the CIA and the Bush administration don't get along, so if Bush does something to pull off a coup, say, fake a terrorist attack, who's going to do it? The CIA?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Truly is beginning to sound like a coup in the works.

Aside from this cancellation - oops - I meant indefinite postponement of elections,
� the same NeoConderthals are also behind New bill seeks to nullify Constitution .

Considering the timing, there are probably more surprises soon to follow.

Wonder what other sweet-smelling treats they are brewing in their kitchens?

...X...

[edit on 2004-7-11 by Teknik]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I am assuming, and we all know what happens when you assume, that in order to be able to legally pull this off, they will need a constitutional amendment.

A long dranw out process...

So would this have to be done by a presidential decree?

A decree of this type would have to hopefully contain a time limitation, 30, 60 days or so.

I don't think you can stop an election in this country. But like Joseph Stalin once said, It's not how the votes are cast, it's how the votes are counted.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Didn't I hear on the news that at the end of last week after the security briefing that all the lawmakers were going in to pass a bunch more "security" measures? I mean, if they wanted to couldn't they also push a constitutional amendment through quickly in the "Interest of National Security?" Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
i dont see anything bad here, you expect people to vote when a disaster just happened and things are in chaos and likely there is no way to get to the voting place because traffic, loss of power, destruction, panic etc?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by gkoelker
Didn't I hear on the news that at the end of last week after the security briefing that all the lawmakers were going in to pass a bunch more "security" measures? I mean, if they wanted to couldn't they also push a constitutional amendment through quickly in the "Interest of National Security?" Just a thought.

I just heard it from NPR about legislation for such action under certain circumstance.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, But I believe a constitutional ammendment needs to be ratified by 2/3 of the states as well.

A federal law could be pushed through, like the patriot act was.

But I realy think election law requires approval from the states.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng
I just heard it from NPR about legislation for such action under certain circumstance.

My question is, who is to say what those circumstances are? I mean, if they know something but don't tell us, how are we to ever know if such action is really justified? Or worse, if it is not justified.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It's funny because the more that I read about the subject, the more it reminds me of that John Titor story... Yeah, it's most probably a hoax... but have'nt Titor spoke of a terrible civil war to start in the US around 2004-2005, as a result of a national political crisis, and fueled by an "inconsistent" US foreign policy??? That the elite in power had appearantly try to takeover and install a tyranny but too many people in the US, against all odds, resisted and thus a war began?

Anyways, no matter if the Titor thing is real or fake, if the elections are postponed or suspended, then you people in America are gonna be in real big trouble!

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by gkoelker
My question is, who is to say what those circumstances are? I mean, if they know something but don't tell us, how are we to ever know if such action is really justified? Or worse, if it is not justified.

If you know, how can they pull that off? I guess if Kerry agree than there will be no resistance. Repugants control Executive branch, Both House in Congress, and Majority in Supreme Court. They have the power to do so, they only need to work out the process to make it look ligitimate as much as possible for American consumption.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
delete

[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
If got down to that we would probably be dealing with Martial Law or a Police State revolt; rather than waiting to vote!

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Well now I understand what the Madrid Train Bombing was for, think about it.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Wouldn't you postpone the elections if you knew you were going to lose?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The implementation of FEMA protocols and their impact on the electoral process was a hot topic at ATS 12-15 months ago.

I am not sure why this would even need to go through a "proposal" stage for it to come to pass... unless it is just a cover-up to make it look like there has been due consultation before this happens.

To the adjectives "most corrupt" and "most criminal" that apply to the Bush administration's place in US governmental history, prepare to add "most desperate".

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The terrorists have no real reason to try and disrupt our elections. They have nothing to gain from it. Given the advanced warning we have been given by our government I can only assume that any attack around election time would have been coordinated by our own government and I along with many others would assume a suspension of the elections to be a war against the people of the US by our own government. If you want to remain in office all I can say is think long and hard before you try and suspend any election.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Hitler

Enabling Act.

Google those.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join