It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weirdness in Dixie

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Thank you for your kind words.

I think it is important to not worry about the 'why' and simply be prepared for the 'whatever'. Sharing like this helps to calm down nerves, and helps to build a community of people who are at least 'watching'.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Minnesota here.
Snow, snow, snow, snow, and then some more snow. Oh and cold. We've had near record snow fall totals, but it seems like I hear the weather guy say that every year.

Don't see too many birds out when it's sub-zero

Around Christmas, it warmed up to near 40, rained like crazy for a day and melted half of our deep snow blanket. Then it got cold again (40 is a heat wave up here and folks bust out their shorts and t-shirts) and has snowed a couple days a week since.

50% chance of snow today and tomorrow. Go figure.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Maui checking in... Don't hate me because I choose not to be cold..
We had some wicked storms move through the other day, it dumped up to 5 inches in Kihei. Road closures, landslides and flash floods oh my!!!
Now where did I put my water wings?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Turned warm about a week ago here, all the snow and ice melted. I went for a walk and saw snowdrops blooming, got a mosquito bite too ... and pigeons are building a nest near my window. None of this should be happening for another couple months here.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I know it's a little late for this but all you southerners who are not familiar with snow..... DON'T EAT THE YELLOW SNOW!!!!!! Hope you all make out ok though something strange is certainly going on lately.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Global warming, the seasons become more extreme. This has been long predicted.

I was wondering how long it would be before someone tried to tell me that this is all because of too much heat.
  • The theoretical mechanism behind Global Warming/Climate Change is thus:
    • Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere captures heat radiated from the earth.
    • This heat is re-emitted in a random direction, redirecting approximately 50% of it back to the earth.
    • This action causes the earth to lose less heat, warming the atmosphere and surface.

This means that GW cannot be responsible for a drop in global temperatures.

• Climate is the sum of weather; therefore, weather and climate are interrelated. If one area becomes colder, more areas must become warmer in order to sum to a rise in temperature.

• There have been no reports I have seen that large areas of the globe are experiencing heat waves in excess of a 20°F departure from normal to offset the 20°F deficit being experienced in North America and the UK. If you know of some, please point them out.

• It is not physically possible for average global temperatures to affect such things as the length of the day, which seems to be one of the cues birds use when migrating. Nor can average global temperatures affect the magnetic flux of the planet, another navigational tool. Therefore, Global Warming cannot be responsible for the lack of migration of the birds.

• The only possible method Global Warming could have concerning migration would be to cause birds to leave colder areas sooner to move to warmer areas. Yet, the birds are doing the opposite.

Can we get off this religion now and back to some actual attempts to understand what is happening? I swear it would be easier to deal with a hoard of Jehovah's Witnesses on Easter Sunday than one lone Global Warming advocate in a snowstorm! The Bible-pushers are much more open-minded.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Could this be a gradual tilting to catch up with Magnetic movement of the N. pole? Also, I used to be a Cancer and now I'm a Gemini. Is there a cause and effect situation going on which is noticably influencing bird migration?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thankfully I haven't noticed anything odd up here yet, SW Virginia in the Appalachians. We have all the normal birds and snow fall isn't as bad as it has been in years past.

I'm counting on the mountains to keep us safe. They tend to block storms enough to force them to go around us at least.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
For the past ten years we have had a real problem with Geese that didn't fly south for the mild winters we've had in the past. They have caused all manner of problems for folks up here in the North East. We use too see them flying at dusk all the time heading for their favorite field or lake island. They fouled and eaten the grass on all the sports fields around here. This year....haven't seen a goose flying in months and the ponds and lakes seen to have only the odd duck or two swimming around!
Zindo

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
im here in MD and we have had maybe 4 inches at the most this years...... and that is whats so strange. we here in MD are use to at least a foot by now. but hardly anything. the storm that hit the north east blew right past us and we just got the butt end of it.

whats even stranger is the nights drop down to below 20o and the days have not been going above 38o (which is normal but........) maryland is a rainy place, for those that have not had the privilege of dealing with this wetness abundance of a state you now know. we usually get at least slush but its been a dry winter. any one know why this may be?

last year all together the whole year we got about 6 feet (at least in annapolis and we were lucky the first 3 feet had enough time to melt a few feet before the next 3 bombarded us)

every one is weirded out about getting snow and im weirded out about not getting it....... whats going on?

we also had 100,000s of fish and crabs die in the chesapeake bay........ and i know its not due to the cold weather since it gets this cold every year.
edit on 14-1-2011 by fallow the light because: add info i forgot to put in cuz iv gotten 3 hours of sleep

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by enemoplem
i think the birds in the snow is unusual..... they've got to be seriously confused!! i'm kind of surprised they've survived the snow. i'm in texas and haven't seen any out of place birds although i've noticed over the past several years that the blue jays are almost gone and the grackles (or cow birds) have missing tails. it's mostly the male grackles.

Down in Houston area of Texas and I've noticed starting in 2009 migratory birds such as blue jays and cardinals weren't leaving for the winter. I have shrubs and mulberry tree next to my window and they house both blue jays and cardinals for the last year. There's even a green flock of parakettes that sometimes fly through the area so go figure. Hearing bird chatter all day everyday has been the norm for two years now.
edit on 14-1-2011 by Chai_An because: spelling

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
All is well here in southern ontario. i had to shovel twice yesterday. Lovin winter

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

A couple of days ago I heard George Noory on C2Cam report there was snow in 49 states, including Hawaii. The only state snow free was Florida. Lots of folk predicted this, mostly because of the disaster in the Gulf. That mess isn't over & you are likely to be looking at an after effect. I'm in Kansas. We're used to cold winters. I feel for you all who aren't accustom to it thought. Driving is difficult for all of us who know about winter roads. So, a word of advise, give every idiot on the road all the room they need to do something stupid.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by Libertygal

Cool...don't think I've ever seen a catbird around here,,,really sweet looking bird and such a pretty singer! But that's not the bird. This one's more reddish-grey and like a puffball. I'll get a pic today if I can. The two who were hanging out this week almost seemed out of energy and sick. I watched but never caught them flying away.

reply to post by kosmicjack

Too bad most of us don't have ice skates and sleds...haha. I have a snow shovel I brought down from NY 20 years ago and have used mainly for mulch all this time. Everyone's been borrowing it all week. Half the people here have never seen one!

Hmm...looked those up, and that's not it either. We do have a lot of those. Thanks. I'm going to venture out later too...still haven't left the house...lol!

edit on 1/13/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

Also for anyone with iced up driveways and sidewalks, go grab some rock salt and spread it over the ice. Helps melt the ice, and saves you from slipping on your back side.
Be safe everyone and please be careful driving!!!

ETA: we have extra show shovels up here in Washington State, anyone in the south want to start a snow shovel business lol I bet you could make a killing right now, and help some people. Just a thought.
edit on 1/14/2011 by JohnnyR because: ETA

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Jet stream damage + more water in the hydro cycle due to global warming and glacial melt + damaged magnetic waves from a sick sun. It rarely happens all together, but it happens. The birds don't have a damn clue what the hell to do because they're built on instinct, plus ape-like intelligence. This means that they simply think that because the signal isn't given, they should stay and cope with it. Rest assured they're able to. But they're just not used to the large scale combination of events. Migration's only real purpose is to route out the weak of the species in a less violent manner. better to die of tire than starvation.

Anyway, stuff like this happens ever here and there. Oil spill sure didn't help. But life finds a way. I'm sure, like me, you've noticed nests far too late to be still occupied. I even found a baby bird newly hatched in December! he fell from the nest and was very confused. A dog nearly ate him but his owner restrained him. I took the bird and gave him some heat, then I left him on my window ledge with some food and water. He kind of just sat there confused and wondering what happened. He never took any food or water. He just stared at me for 2 minutes, then flew off.

Anyway, it's all part of the circle of life. It actually is a cycle that runs about every 150 years, like you said. Nothing is too bad though. The Earth is going through processes of self-recovery in order to reach equilibrium. You get to have fun on the ride. Once the sun settles down, the earth will do the same. Probably the poles will switch and the Earth will come off its axis a bit, but in the end nothing much will change other than maybe more extreme seasons due to greater tilt. That in and of itself is part of a greater cycle. The earth will eventually go sideways in its rotation and then return due to the stabilizing nature of gravity + velocity.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
5 years or more ago we started seeing seabirds in NWGA close to alabama. I guess they just got lost but they hung out at a fast food place eating fries all the time.

I keep thinking ice age ice age ice age - shut up it's just a hard winter ice age ice age ice age Shut UP it's just a hard winter lol

It snowed this time in 1996 here. It lasted 3-4 days and was very cold. It's just a hard winter.

Ice Age

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kno22
Lots of folk predicted this, mostly because of the disaster in the Gulf.

That's what I thought of too.

Something has definitely disrupted the normal weather pattern. I can't say what, but seeing that photo of snow in Alabama was ... eerie. If it last happened in the 1850's, maybe it's some long-term natural cycle or something after all, but coming right after the gulf disaster I really have my doubts.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm in So. California. Los Angeles.

It snowed here two weeks ago on Jan 4th for six hours! We had 4 inches. People around here don't recall any snow of any sort for over 25 yrs and not this much. It's been very cold here in So. Cal. Nights here are 30-39 deg. Days aren't climbing over 62 until today. It's warm, about 76 but with 80mph gusts through this canyon...normal.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Can we get off this religion now and back to some actual attempts to understand what is happening? I swear it would be easier to deal with a hoard of Jehovah's Witnesses on Easter Sunday than one lone Global Warming advocate in a snowstorm! The Bible-pushers are much more open-minded.

Well Redneck, nice to see you're back on the "global warming = religion...blah blah" bandwagon. A bit ironic seeing as how you seemed to completely bail on our scientific debate after I debunked your numbers don't lie thread, but whatever...

There have been no reports I have seen that large areas of the globe are experiencing heat waves in excess of a 20°F departure from normal to offset the 20°F deficit being experienced in North America and the UK. If you know of some, please point them out.

This is the GISS Surface Temperature Anomaly Map for December 2010:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ce046d97038.gif[/atsimg]

Source

There's your Alabama immersed in a sea of deep blue. Meanwhile notice that GIANT "Crimson Tide"
over the Arctic?

Now - here's an ATS thread from November that most people (as usual) ignored because it talked about the relationship between Global Warming and colder temperatures.

The gist of that thread was to point out how extreme warming in the Arctic can push cold northern air, which normally stays "bottled up" there, further south. Here's an article referencing a NOAA report that had this to say about it:

There is evidence that the effect of higher air temperatures in the lower Arctic atmosphere in fall is contributing to changes in the atmospheric circulation in both the Arctic and northern mid-latitudes," wrote the report's authors, a team of 69 international scientists.

Extreme cold and big snowfalls can be blamed on the Arctic changes, according to NOAA.

That report was released on October 14th by the way.

Since then let's see what has happened:

I have personally been paying close attention for the last month and a half to the weather report on Arctic temperatures here in Canada. There have been numerous times in that period where temperatures in Iqaluit were 30 C above normal.

30 C. That's 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Above normal. In the Arctic. In the middle of winter.

Temperatures in the Arctic have been so high in fact they are causing refraction effects that extend sunlight to places normally supposed to be completely dark this time of year.

So when there's higher temperatures, there tends to be higher pressure. When there's relatively high pressure over the Arctic, this results in a negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation. A negative AO phase means cold northern air gets pushed into lower latitudes. This is all explained on NSIDC's website.

They even include a neat diagram of what the negative phase looks like (on the right):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/251c87b8d09a.jpg[/atsimg]

See that cold air arrow? It's pointing right at Alabama.

Now, take a look at the Arctic Oscillation data and see for yourself how negative this phase has been for the last 2 months:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83c35b460f6b.jpg[/atsimg]

Source

In fact, the last two winters now have shown two of the most extremely negative AO phases ever recorded.

These are sandwiched around a year that was declared tied for warmest on record. It was also the wettest. Despite that 2010 saw record droughts in Russia and the Amazon, which were of course contrasted by massive floods in Pakistan and Australia. Everybody, even on this website, is acknowledging that crazy things are happening to the climate these days. But attributing crazy climate happenings to exactly what mainstream climate scientists have been predicting for decades now? Naaaah, that's just crazy!...

So you know Redneck - you claim to be big on science. This information is all out there for you to dig up and check yourself. I went and found it just by doing some googling and looking through NASA, NOAA and NSIDC's websites. But instead you come to a conspiracy forum pleading for answers, and then proceed to belittle anyone who tells you anything you don't want to hear.

You really might want to reconsider who's the one acting like a religious demagogue.

edit on 14-1-2011 by mc_squared because: dyslexic weather = dyslexic typos

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

I for one don't disagree that odd things are going on with the Earth's climate, but I don't think CO2 is to blame. At least not from industrial pollution, because the destruction of the rain forests causes a MUCH greater amount of CO2 to go unchecked in the atmosphere (trees, especially rain forests absorb CO2 and produce oxygen) yet no one seems to care about that.

Have you seen what government officials are trying to implement to "help" the "global warming problem"? It's the industrial equivalent of the Federal Reserve, where all the biggest companies can continue to pollute all they want by purchasing "carbon credits," while smaller businesses that can't afford them will be run out of business. I think there are a lot of problems with pollution but consolidating power into the hands of the biggest industries, and giving them exemptions on their pollution, is not a solution.

In light of all this I'm glad so many people are fighting global warming-related legislation. Maybe when someone proposes a real solution I'll be interested, but so far there are no real solutions, or even real investigations into what is causing all the erratic weather.
edit on 14-1-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join