It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'd be willing to bet that I have met more Brits than most Americans and i can honestly say that I have never met a Brit I didn't like. The Danish are pretty cool too.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
It's somewhat off-topic I know, but I've always found Swedish people to be extremely pleasant and friendly.

And as my ex was Hungarian I got to know her family and a few of her friends too, and they also were really friendly people in general.

The Americans in Pennsylvania where I've visited a few times before are all fine. I do find that a lot of American people seem to trash talk when I'm playing Halo on the Xbox 360 but it's only because it's so easy to do and the same can apply to everybody, American or not. And it makes me smile anyway because it usually means that I've kicked there asses!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I dont know about the normal everyday American, but I personally love England and honestly wouldn't mind moving there - I was lucky and got to visit when I was 13 and loved everything about it.. other than the food and the beaches anyway... I really liked the people over there, but then again they might have been going out of their way to be nice to us - I was there w/ my church so.. who knows. Either way everyone I met was very friendly -- although my sister and one of her friends got a little lost in London and from what they said they asked a Nun directions and the Nun told them off..

I really like how you can be in the country one minute then in the middle of London the next, and thought all the houses were really cool - there'd be some really old house out in the middle of the "country" that would look all runned down, and have moss growing all over the walls - but then when you went inside of it everything was amazing.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Don't make us redo our flag! lol, nah just kidding, but I love the British! Only because they have funny accents that make me laugh even when I am down.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by catrynaaa
*Snipped* by Staff

Are you into tall, not very dark and skinny?

edit on 1/15/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Time2Think

Quite right.

I live in Stoke-on-Trent, a pretty grotty city on the whole that's slap bang in the middle of the country, and one that I can't wait to get out of someday. But no more than half an hour's drive and I'm into the Peak District, known for it's beauty and apparently (according to Wikipedia) the second most visited national park in the world!
edit on 15/12/11 by Trapt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusPrimate

I'm from Kentucky. Some of the family dishes the older women in my family whip up are mind blowing.
My grandmother makes "ky corn puff," as she calls it, which is a kind of corn pudding with this delicious browned crust.. it's crazy good. Of course biscuits and gravy, and many other home dishes. That is actually where culinary culture is, but it's nearly lost so it appears we don't have one because of fast food, hamburgers, and hot dogs.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
brits=good

come now! you can't be serious!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
oh and can't forget mr. bowie!

i dunno how you could think americans don't like brits. we probably bought more british stuff than any other country in the world

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Having read the first couple of pages, it seems clear to me that Americans & British do get on together, there has always been freindly rivalry between the two stemming from WW2-when the yanks got a real view of England

I once heard that Reagan once called England his 'aircraft carrier off the coast of Europe'-i don't know if that's true or not
Any hatred is usually born of igorance (helped by the media) of the true picture.You can't judge a book by it's cover, and you can't judge a country unless you have been there for some time, & have immersed yourself in it's culture. As for politics, we are all agreed the US government is equally rotten as the UK, no surprise there.
I have many internet contacts over the whole world, & it is plain to me that we are all equally mad at our useless leaders, all equally bent on peace, on progress. We are all communicating en-masse one on one & our governments REALLY don't want it to become a habit, they will do anything & everything to discourage it.
I would suggest that both countries read Bill Bryson, i would make it compulsory in all schools

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
My job requires me to call you guys on a regular basis and I must say 9 times out of 10 the individual I talk to is in high spirits and just give off a cool vibe. Not to mention the fact that I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing "Cheers" right before I hang up the phone.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Damn!

I reckon there's going to be a mass exodus of British men to the U.S to find themselves a hottie with a thing for the British accent. I wish I had known this earlier! Dunno if my Yorkshire twang would go down well though.

Our countries have a shared history. We used to own them, then they beat us down. But then, then we fought back to back against tyranny and oppression and our Grandfathers and Great-Grandfathers died for the freedom we have today. That means a lot.

Incidently, I think this is why a lot of big-bads in hollywood films are Brits. We are the original enemy but are mates now, so it's ok to use as the badguy as no-one cares about any implications.

Nowt wrong with a bit piss taking though. I reckon the OP needs a thicker skin.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by doubleplusungood

my ear could not tell the difference till i watched "my fair lady" and later met a lady who spoke the queen's english

before that, all british accents just triggered "this person is british" in my not so discerning ear.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obinhi
My wife also likes to point out that your nation did at one point have a global empire, and your nation ushered in the moder world, the united states gave the world...NASCAR?

If you looked at how the British got and maintained their "Empire" of blood, they would go down in history next to the Nazi's. Africa, Asia and the Middle East are messed up because of British Imperialism.

And the British are still hiding their human rights crimes from that era(we aren't talking about a botched operation, but the whole sale slaughter of hundreds of millions of people).

Then the British online(as well as other euro's) and what not call America an "Evil Imperial Nation"; during the early Bush Jr era British citizens would assault American Citizens in the UK for business(A British Magistrate dropped the assault charges once he found out the victim was an American).

Basically a growing number of Americans are starting to do the math. The British where our enemies in the beginning, middle and towards the end? Well the British lied to us about a German-Mexican Alliances, a lie that cost the lives of many Americans. The British and English American sympathizers dragged America into the second world war. America was conned into helping British OIL interests over throwing the democratically elected government of Iran. The list goes on and on.

And to top it off the most hateful and destructive form of feminism came from the UK, gee-whiz thanks for that too. You can argue individualism to a certain point, but I seriously doubt the "alliance" between the USA and UK will last another decade, let alone another generation.

The Brit's are like a bad friend, the kind of "friend" that is always setting you up for a fall.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Grow up.
What about the blood The Roman Empire was built on?
Or the slaughter the Persian's and Alexander conducted in building their respective Empire's.
And if you really want to compare anything to The Nazi's take a look at the wholescale devestation and complete destruction of civilizations The Spanish committed in Central and South America during their Empire day's.

If the truth is told then comparatively the British were pretty restrained, and very, very good at building their Empire.
Of course it's not quite PC to say that nowadays and certainly doesn't fit in with Hollywoods version of history, something you apparently seem to take as fact.

Another classic case of using today's morals and standards when judging the acts and deeds of yesterday.

All this is pretty ironic really coming from an American, a nation that is doing a fair bit of blood spilling today building it's own modern day empire, quite ironically again, whilst begging the UK to help you do so.

Femenism?
Please explain.

edit on 18/1/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Never fails. Just when we are all down like 4 flats and a spare, someone got to steal the tire iron.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Ermm...yeah..right.

Your a prime example of a prejudiced xenophobe.

You judge a whole nation by the historic actions of a multitude of Governments, as if this somehow justifies your damning of a whole people.

Your views sit well with historical genocidal maniacs.

Although in your case i would say your making provocative statements for the attention.

Do you really hate all Brits?

Cosmic...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well most American girls like the English guys as I found out from my time in Oregon & California

edit on 18-1-2011 by ac3rr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Yet all this would pale into insignificance alongside the crimes of the Russian, Japanese, German and Italian empires in the 1930s and 1940s. By the time Churchill became Prime Minister in 1940, the most likely alternatives to British rule were Hirohito's Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, Hitler's Thousand Year Reich and Mussolini's New Rome. Nor could the threat posed by Stalin's Soviet Union be discounted, though until after the Second World War most of his energies were devoted to terrorising his own subjects.

It was the staggering cost of fighting these imperial rivals that ultimately ruined the British Empire. In other words, the Empire was dismantled not because it had oppressed subject peoples for centuries, but because it took up arms for just a few years against far more oppressive empires. In the end, the British sacrificed the Empire to stop the Germans, Japanese and Italians from keeping theirs. It did the right thing, regardless of the cost. And that was why the ultimate heir of Britain's global power was not one of the evil empires of the East, but Britain's most successful former colony.

The British Empire was not pre-planned, coming about initially from the activities of pirates in the Caribbean, leading to traders and adventures and the mass emigration of white settlers to America, Australia and New Zealand. By Victorian times the Empire had become a burden costing too much to administer, in fact Britain was exporting more capital into the Empire than was being taken out.

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join