It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Obinhi

As an eastcoaster I know nothing of intolerance of Brits

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Down in the Southern United States, we do seem to get a kick out of each others' expressions and accents.

I think the only times we have a bit of a row here on ATS is when someone from another country - including Britain - decides to talk a bit of trash about our nation, our Constitution, or our Second Amendment rights.

To use poor American, "them's fighting words."

We really don't like our politicians, but they're OUR politicians, and we don't want to hear other criticizing them. We're quite capable of doing that ourselves.

What is the old saying, "A devil to be sure. But OUR devil."

When we get our butts in a crack, you guys sure come in handy, along with the Greater British Contingent, meaning Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc., etc.

And when you get your butts in a crack, we seem to come in handy too.

Like brothers, we can fight all the day long, argue, fuss, and berate, but let outsiders attempt to do so, and now they have all of us jumping them of one mind.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Well Said.. I spent some time in Britain, three months to be exact, in the early 1990's and found that the people over across the pond were really the same as the people here. We've grown our separate ways over the past couple hundred years, but the spirit of freedom and helping others to achieve it are ingrained in our hearts, no matter what our governments do.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
We really don't like our politicians, but they're OUR politicians, and we don't want to hear other criticizing them. We're quite capable of doing that ourselves.

What is the old saying, "A devil to be sure. But OUR devil."

And this is the kind of attitude which makes the USA so unpopular throughout the world.

You are saying that because you have some weird politicians, that you are the only people to validly comment on them, because you are from within the borders of your country ?!

No sir !

Someone like Sarah Palin is a complete joke in my country, and probably the rest of Europe.

We have every right to criticise someone like her.

Granted, she's a MILF, and I wouldn't say no to a sesh if she asked me politely
, but that appears to be her only credentials to be to a front-running 'politician' in the USA.

Sarah Palin is a joke, your political system ( where she became a vice-presidential candidate, is also a joke )... Why do you get so defensive if an outsider criticises your politicians ?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by Wh00pS
One thing i do hate about a lot of people from the US is them refering to us all as Brits!
I'm not a Brit, i'm English born and bred and proud of it.
The term Great Britain to me just smacks of colonialism and is outdated.
Another thing is i've noticed a few people mention our views on US gunlaws, Well i'm 42 years old and i've never had a conversation or heard other people discussing US gunlaws.Honestly i dont think 99.9% of the population could give two hoots on the subject.

You're English, British, European and an Earthling.

Your political views are irrelevant.

The term 'Brit' has taken over in New Zealand as well, from the word Pom (no improvement.) Most New Zealanders are either Scots or Irish in descent, and whereas the Scots don't make a meal of it, the Irish do! It's almost as tough being English in New Zealand as it must be in the USA.
Vicky

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sailor Sam

It is not the "British" as such, it is the "English" that are some of the most hated/obnoxious people on earth. If you exclude the Scots and Welsh you are closer to the mark.

Speaking as an Englishwoman, I have to say "thanks a bunch!" What an ignorant, bigoted remark. (My mother was a Scot, but I identify as Emglish, because frankly the Scots drive me up the wall, always with the whinging! (To use an Americanism...)

Vicky

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
I found some of your SAS to be rather likeable, and we took some delight in talking about our differences.

I do with you guys could learn how to spell some words properly "color," for one. I mean, it's silly having these minor grammatical differences since we all speak American.

I know you're having a laugh, but even so, you've hit on my pet peeve. A pox on Microsoft spell check and Hollywood. I am a ESOL teacher in New Zealand, and I am going spare explaining to my students why New Zealand 20-somethings they will meet use a horrible bastardised Amenglish - and explaining to dumb blonde receptionists in offices why a statement such as "the bathroom is near the elevator" when I ask for the toilet, is an abomination.
I don't want to take a shower, I want to take a leak. Got it blondie?
Color is wrong. Favor is wrong. Honor is wrong. These spellings are just laziness.
Traveler and jeweler are just - well, WTH? Who thought those up and why?
Vicky

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Just to bring this to everyones attention, this was posted on another thread yesterday.

..............................................................................................................

Originally posted by rebeldog
reply to post by ridcully

you sorry sacks of cow balls in england have stuck your beaks in everyones business for hundreds of years.. you D-bags are reeping the rewards of damn near global theft for hundreds of years.. do you not think your sorry little country got wealthy by honest means.. the crown of england exploited the whole world..

pompous little polite girly talking choads.. to actually think you of all people have the right to tell anyone to mind their own business after the history of theft, slavery, and oppression of billions JUST in the last 200 years.. south africa, india, the US, etc..

go find a dentist, sip your tea, run from the chavs, never forget that your whole nation was built on sticking your beaks into others business.. pompous douche bag... cheerio---queerio

...............................................................................................................................

Although I admit that Britain has had a rather chequered history, but that is utter abuse.

I personally would be ashamed if someone from Britain were to post something like this towards any other human being, just wondering what everyone else thinks?
edit on 13/1/11 by NonKonphormist because: to do editing type stuff

edit on 13/1/11 by NonKonphormist because: to do editing type stuff

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
and your point is?
oh I see, History repeated itself when America decided to "police" the World and do a better job of it.

btw.
Your money and politicoes are governed behind the screens by the Brits.
Do some serious research on that.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by stewalters1
I have noticed in my short time here on ats allot of hate from americans directed at the british.
Do most americans see the british as a weak spineless nation that can't do anything without american backing, be the backing financial or help to win wars.

I am a british person and i love america i have family there and would prefer to be a 51st state of america than a european state.
My feelings are changing after tacking a bashing from some american members of ats. One guy even blamed the british for his ancestors being brutalised in some war way back.

This is stupid because the modern day average british person doesn't share the same views our ancestors did, regardless of what our ancestors did it has nothing to do with us in this day and age.

I don't really like the british government and disagree with allot of their agendas but its like people think the british government makes decisions and that all the british people agree and that we are all tossers!!

When president bush was saying stupid things on the television i didnt think the whole of america is dumb as hell like him.

Does anybody see my point?

I, as an American, have my own free mind and do not subscribe to U.S. Government propaganda. I like the British people,.........not so much their government. As I would hope the same from the rest of the world, don't jusdge the American people by the evils of our government either. British people are nice and tey are intelligent so far as I know.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
As a Welshmen first and a Brit second I have to say that even though there's banter amongst the three home countries (for clarity; England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland - and perhaps even Cornwall if I'm feeling extra de-evolutionist!). I suddenly feel very 'British' when in the states.
I have found my anglo accent (I have a middle class anglosised Welsh accent) goes down well in the few places I've been to in North America....I like the american/canadian accents alot btw! (well except for in Quebec that was just plain wierd).
I felt like a country bumbkin when I was in L.A franticly taking picture of fire engines and lo-ridding carsh and meth heads....I even took the metro and joked with some massive scary fellas who were beatboxing.)

I do feel the need to comment directly on American affairs, mostly because I feel alot of frustration; it could be an absolute utopia of a place in our world - its given the world so many cool things and ideas, but, because its soooo massive; when the U.S farts everyone in the room smells it!
Most anti-American (hell, anti-anycountry!) bollocks soon evaporates when you actually seperate government from populace.
I can't wait for my coast to coast trip.

I'm personally glad that we can all be friends, I do however refute the teeth comments, mine are lovely and straight.

edit on 13-1-2011 by OptimusPrimate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I don't know about Americans, I'm Japanese, and we LOVE the British. We love everyone, but most especially the American, British and French. Make love, not war, guys

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

I just got one thing to say about this...

"YEAH BABY"... Brits are cool, sexy and buxom.. Love you guys to death!!!

Now the French on the other hand....

lol just kidding.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

If so, it must be a sort of self-hate projected onto the British. In my experience, Americans and Brits are too similar for one to hate the other.

But I'll say this, Americans really don't seem to give the Brits the airtime for hate. Sorry, one thing the Brits and Americans are both good at is thinking themselves as the center of the world. Thinking the Americans are taking up their time with hating the Brits seems a bit borderline of you, OP.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
As a Brit who has family in Pennsylvania and have visited a few times, I've never received anything but a warm welcome generally from American's and have made many friends who I stay in touch with. One thing I have noticed also is the a lot of you US lady's seem to love our accent.

I think a lot of our dry sense of humor is lost on many American's, who perhaps prefer more slapstick and in your face humor, and even though we speak the same language I've found that we pronounce many words differently, which can lead to a bit of confusion.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't think most Americans hate us Brits in particular. I think they pity us.

We haven't done a thing in years and in the days when we did contribute, the results were lucklustre and disappointing. The only export we had were the Beatles and people are now seeing how overhyped they were.

We have the most boring food in the world, the worst teeth and the most violent people. If we had guns like the Americans, we'd kill a hell of a lot more than they do.

I consider the USA to be a far superior place. When they choose to do something, thay always do it better than the British - always, without fail. They have better music, food, culture, outlook on life, customer service and looks.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by brintonwhite

thanks for putting some wit and fun back into the thread

Good luck and all that

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Only Tony Blair & the food. Well, & British Leyland (although nostalgia has set in with age)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I too am unfortunately British, I hate it here, I love America so much. I really dislike the EU and I think if we became a new U.S. state I would be over the moon.

Even most of the EU hate us, look how well we did in 'Eurovision', that proves it right there.

I've even gone so far as flying an American flag outside the front of my house, I also have a mailbox and anything else that would make me feel like I am part of the best country in the world.

Please America, take over us and get rid of our terrible government
Make us as awesome as you and give us the American dream

I know for a fact some British people are ignorant and show a dislike towards the U.S, when they do that it really upsets me but I don't mind people from America disliking us, even I dislike us and wish I was American

Always remember when those people show dislike they don't speak for the rest of the nation

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by blah yada
reply to post by KingDoey

I think your avatar says enough.Are you a royalist too?Or are you offended because I disparaged a chain-pub and uneducated feral youth who drive after-market accessorised and suped-up Hondas and the like, with obnoxious stereo systems with ludicrous bass attenuation,belting out cheesy music at top volume, whilst driving dangerously,all to enhance their image?One of the key traits of chavs is that they do not realise that they are chavs.

It's not like I invented the term "chav".It's a widely deployed term in the British lexicon.It exists for a reason.Maybe it was conceived by a bunch of elitist bigots over there.Yeah that's probably it,some snooty middle class conspiracy by literate people with jobs who don't spend their life in chain pubs drinking crap beer,playing the ubiquitous slot machine or reading the red-tops, or watching some tripe soap like Eastenders or Coronation St..Pesky Oxford and Cambridge types no doubt, with their ordinary,factory spec cars and their clothes with the labels on the inside.Elitists......aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh drive for the hills(with the stereo blaring and wheels spinning)

edit on 12-1-2011 by blah yada because: (no reason given)

After writing a highly off topic post, with offensive content in response to your pathetic views of British Society I have decided to remove it simply because i cannot be bothered to get banned for the likes of someone like you.

Enjoy your middle class boring average Joe life snob

edit on 13-1-2011 by KingDoey because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join