It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Jefferson's report to the American Philosophical Society, regarding a UFO

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

Good point. However this meteor was described as being the size of a house. Wouldnt a meteor that size do enough damage that we would have physical proof of its crash still today? Wouldnt a meteor of that size have been a phenomena that would have been reported in the news papers of the day? I think that if a meteor that size fell in the United States at any time since we have occupied these shores it would be well documented as a very unusual event.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
OK...resembling figure 5? Does anybody know what figure 5 looks like does anybody have the pic at all?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunda

That story was one that was covered by UFO Hunters. Wasnt this the story where the UFO hit a windmill that operated a well. The crash was into a farmers field and they did claimed to bury the body in a local cemetary. The investigators on the show I saw were not permitted to dig in the cemetary. The invistigative team used an ultrasound machine to "view" what was underground. The team had photos taken in the 70's of the grave site before the marker was removed by the cemetary to protect the site. They used the photos to triangulate the location of the grave based on markers that were there at the time of the photo and still remained on the site today. There was also a claim that debris from the crash was put down the well which later caused illness in the household using the well. There was metal found buried in the ground near the site and one piece that was buried in an old tree which they detected with a metal detector.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

This is great. I'm sure most people on here are intelligent enough to NOT subscribe to the idea that UFO sightings did NOT originate in '47 but rather the average joe wasn't running around with his own camera until around then. And its so much easier to "debunk" a written report as a comet or whatever when there's no pretty pictures on the internet to look at. But it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Think of all the UNreported sightings by people who didn't want to be called crazy and locked up, which back in the day was done for far less reason than seeing lights in the sky.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I'm pretty sure a "figure 5" looks like this: V

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Awesome story, and TJ reports it to the Philosophical Society - how cool is that!

The report said it crashed northeast of Baton Rouge - who wants to scour google maps for a crater or something?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on January 11th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

um... meteorite?

Sounds like just a normal rock falling from the sky.

reply to post by Condemned0625

Any proof of this claim? Seems like a rock falling from the sky like it ought to.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
why would Thomas Jefferson, a very open supporter of the metric system, write a report using standard measurements and weights?

The U.S. does not now, or has it ever, regulated the use of the "standard" system over the "metric" system, so it's not like it was required.

He felt so strongly in opposition to the standard method that he even developed and submitted to congress a method similar to the current metric system before the French ever invented their own and put it to use.

Just struck me as odd...could be a fake?
edit on 11-1-2011 by PrimePorkchop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Perhaps it was. However, if you'll look back to my OP I said "Keep in mind too people, UFO means exactly that, an Unidentified Flying Object"

It could have been a meteorite. I've made no claims to as what it was. I just offered the document up for discussion, along with the fact that a notable astronomer of his time described it as a phenomenon, and a sitting vice President reporting on it.

Not like I said "OMG!! Indisputable Proof of Government Coverup!!11"
Thanks.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

lol that's true. But yea, this was a time of knowledge. People were still establishing what things were. Phenomenon seems like a proper term to use. Although like the user above your post said, why is it in standard unit sizes?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Sorry to but in, but what does S&F mean when some posts a comment about anothers post?
sorry to be thick , but i am new here.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Hey rigel...

The blank star above the word "posted" only needs to be clicked once to give that poster a Star! Usually for posts that are profound, witty, clever, ect...

Let's practice..! Try it on mine...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I just downloaded and found the part refered to in the OP and as stated in this pdf of the society one page is missing, only one. You got it figure 5, plate 5.

How strange.

So how far back does denial go?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by rigel4

Hey rigel...

The blank star above the word "posted" only needs to be clicked once to give that poster a Star! Usually for posts that are profound, witty, clever, ect...

Let's practice..! Try it on mine...

edit on 11-1-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

He He i get it , I am thick, but you have a star now. Sub Intellect FTW

Dare i ask what the F from S&F mean then?

edit on 11-1-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Star and Favorited is what it means. "S&F"

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The aliens are time travelers and we're not allowed to talk about them or we'll destroy the space-time continuum.... maybe. iono

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx

Dude, how did you get away with that avatar?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I had no idea there was anything wrong with it
The post too
Thanks for pointing it out though

I think this topic is pretty profound. Did they just discover this? How has it not been brought up before? S+F
edit on 11-1-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This was not the only UFO reported to Thomas Jefferson. Another was in July, 1813 by a tavern keeper, Edward Hansford and John L. Clarke.

Link - Letter: An Atmospheric Phenomenon

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join