It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to hand Commerce Dept. authority over cybersecurity ID

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Obama to hand Commerce Dept. authority over cybersecurity ID

news.cnet.com

President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for Americans, a White House official said here today.

It's "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

"We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy, and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."

Sure it doesn't....

"The government cannot create that identity infrastructure," Dempsey said. "If it tried to, it wouldn't be trusted."

And since when do they care about being trusted?

Of course they'll say it's all good, and it's ``for the safety of the consumers on the internet``... and blocking ``traitors like Wikileak to leak information that harms the US``... or that kind of BS.

This is the take over of the internet. You know what this will come to... as MANY OF US here predicted... National ID/Internet ID to buy/sell anything... maybe even GET on the internet... wouldn't surprise me.

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Surfing without a licence will get you pulled over and digitally tazed by the cyber police?

Seriously, this is a move to remove any anonymity from the internet, it will fail, but I can understand why they want to do this.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Surfing without a licence will get you pulled over and digitally tazed by the cyber police?

Seriously, this is a move to remove any anonymity from the internet, it will fail, but I can understand why they want to do this.

It will fail... for 0.1% of the population. The other 99.9% who are not hackers will get in the system and be screwed.

They want everyone on the internet to be identified with an ``Internet ID`` so they can sue you, imprison you, ect... for anything you do on the internet.

Internet was created by DARPA after all... and release to the public as a massive spy operation... which backfired on them... and now they are moving to do it like they intended it in the first place.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Think of all of the identity and other problems that arise with licence plates on motor vehicles... The same problems will happen on the net.

I can't see how they could implement this effectively enough to even come close to achieving the security level they are seeking... No matter how they try to sell this, it is doomed to fail.

Ultimately, if you have nothing to hide, why be afraid of this?

Most people surfing online are probably unaware that websites and/or ad networks collect data from them with every page load, and can include their identity, even a home address and more right now.

They would literally have to change the internet infrastructure so that an individual must log on with a fingerprint or retina scan before gaining access, and that individual will be responsible for any and all online activity.

Among other vast changes that they simply cannot make happen at this stage in the game... The internet is as close to secure now as it likely ever will be.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This is just silly. This goes against one of the first things you learn in network administration - different password for everything. A centralized id/password is bad news security wise. A single point of failure. If that one password gets compromised YOU are compromised.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
So in other words the INTERNET will be taxed just like everything else today.

Can I scream money.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by Vitchilo

Think of all of the identity and other problems that arise with licence plates on motor vehicles... The same problems will happen on the net.

I can't see how they could implement this effectively enough to even come close to achieving the security level they are seeking... No matter how they try to sell this, it is doomed to fail.

Most people surfing online are probably unaware that websites and/or ad networks collect data from them with every page load, and can include their identity, even a home address and more right now.

They would literally have to change the internet infrastructure so that an individual must log on with a fingerprint or retina scan before gaining access, and that individual will be responsible for any and all online activity.

Among other vast changes that they simply cannot make happen at this stage in the game... The internet is as close to secure now as it likely ever will be.

deleted sorry I was still in the "I donttust the gubbermint" thread...

edit on 7-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

It doesn't matter what I have to hide or if I have anything to hide at all. There are still people who want their information kept private.

51 Free Tools to Stay Informed and Invisible on the Internet

[KNOCK, KNOCK] Who is it? We're from the government and we're here to help...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'd give this mad-a$$ scheme a week
until hackers are selling these ID's in bulk
along with their current credit card number business.

Imagine the emails sent out with Obama or Palins "internet ID"

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
My biggest concern is the Commerce Department taking control. Is't the economy already stuffed? What diabolical plans have they got for the rest of us? Thankfully they are incompetent with numbers and integrity so I do not like their chances of success.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
ISP's have to be neutral but the govt don't.
State's want to tax inet purchases; with this the fed could track and tax.

top topics

join