It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head to the hills.......... what?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
So instead of teaching people here what to do and how to manage, you guys go on about whose gun is bigger and how deadly you people are. That's the reason the S is hitting the fan in the first place (bar a natural catastrophe), because people see it as Country folk vs. City folk. Divided we ALL fall. People are so concerned about themselves that they let the Government take control of everything. What is the point in insuring your own survival when in 20 years you will be gone. Who is gonna milk the cows then? Who is gonna tend to the crops? Everybody is forgetting about procreation. Is your family going to interbreed to survive? No. Unless you want the future of mankind to be severely retarded? You would be doing mankind no favor by only ensuring you and your family's survival. If everybody was only looking out for themselves, then the fate of mankind would fall on the youngest survivors. Once they are gone then that's that. Goodbye family, goodbye communities, goodbye humans.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Actually, city people outnumber country people immensely, and are the ones who keep voting for the "safety" laws that are putting us in this situation. I know of no country person who would trade their freedom for safety and try as we might our smaller votes can't undo what your larger number of votes have done.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

No goodbye, just join the positive thinking. Please search the thread backward in time. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by SaturnFX

Depends on the need...if your starving and wont make it even a few more days, you eat the bird and eggs

But, if its not a complete emergency, you eat the bird and raise the chicks for food and breeding if possible.

Only if you only plan to eat for one day. If you want sustainable meals you eat the eggs. The adult can and will lay more within a few weeks to replace what you took if the weather is good. If you kill the mother and "try" to raise the eggs you will have killed of not just one hatch but most likely the whole batch. The eggs must be kept at a specific temperature and humidity for a specific number of days, the eggs gently turned twice a day, and let me tell you... feeding new born chicks is a pain if they aren't hatched with feathers, eyes open and on their feet! If you made it that far most would still die.

The idea behind survival is sustainable survival. What good does it do to outlast your fellow man if you kill off your food supply? Country people already know this. You never take more than is absolutely necessary, you give back to nature to repair/replace what you've taken, and you never destroy the sustainability of the future.

That's why you need us.

It was sort of a trick question, wasn't it.
You can add all sorts of senarios to back up either argument overall. If you have the proper tools to raise chicks, such as warmers, some general foodstuffs to feel baby chicks, then having 10 chicks = far greater than having a bird providing eggs (that will eventually die..and you have been eating the eggs all along).
It is of course best to simply leave em both if that is an option, but if that isn't an option, then you make a decision based on what is most logical.

The most helpful thing you can learn for survival is how to make jerky though. initially there is going to be a lot of food..and most of that will rot away. If it becomes a full time job dehydrating and salting every possible thing under the sun, you can quickly amass enough food for years upon years of survival while you wait for a new supply to come into play. Turning sparky into dog jerky, all cats, rats, etc..even fruits and veggies can be dehydrated.

The only real issue will be clean water...depending on the senario., and fuel. If you sort the fuel issue out (mirrored surfaces on a sunny day can do wonders) then you can turn crap water into clean water by simply boiling it, or with really bad water, evaporation methods.

Ultimately, what I am saying is that even if your living in a 35th floor highrise in the center of a city, you can have a very good chance of long term survival if you know the basics of survival to begin with and get out of your head you need to be in some lush rainforest to eat. Sure, eventually you will have your neighbors banging on your door asking for some of your fido-jerky, but thats when people come together...you can have some, but you need to go out and collect a bucket of water from somewhere, or find a few rats, etc...teaching them also, and so on. People can be seen as either a liability for personal survival, or a benefit.

But of course, this all goes out the door if its a zombie apocolypse we are talking about anyhow..then the main resource needed is bullets

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Hehehe... the drama doesn't effect me.

I meant it will be red hot plasma.

edit on 7-1-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Actually, city people outnumber country people immensely, and are the ones who keep voting for the "safety" laws that are putting us in this situation. I know of no country person who would trade their freedom for safety and try as we might our smaller votes can't undo what your larger number of votes have done.

Lets not forget that "we" were promised things that never came to be. We were fooled into voting for somebody who later turned out to be the exact opposite of what we thought we were getting. If we knew what they really had in mind we would not have voted for them in the first place. But this is not about politics. It's about survival. After all, this is in the "Survival Tactics/Equipment" forum. We need to get rid of this Us vs. Them, Me vs. You way of thinking, and start thinking about how to live with each other. We need you, you need us. We need each other to be able to tell our children about the reasons we came to be in this situation in the first place. So that our children shall tell their children and so on...Otherwise, what is the point?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Two words... Machu Picchu.

This will be the evacuation site on the big day.
Dont stay in your farms or cities, you must head here! It will be the one and only place where shelter and a chance to leave the death and destruction behind awaits.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings

No goodbye, just join the positive thinking. Please search the thread backward in time. Thanks.

I am thinking positively! I was just stating what WOULD happen. Sorry friend, you have me pegged wrong. Also, search a little farther back for my first post. Gracias my fellow Tejano!
edit on 1/7/2011 by CastleMadeOfSand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Agreed, lets keep politics out of this.

Yes, if those evacuating the cities came to us to learn how to live out here it would be a win win situation. Mostly I read how they'll over run those already here, blow them away and take what they want. That type of thinking is what prompted this thread. That type of action would ensure more hardship than need be. We can grow food enough to share, but only if we're alive to do it and the ground isn't raped and ruined.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Play Fallout new vegas! It's all the training you will need when TSHTF! Well probably trade in goods to start as even gold and silver will be worthless in the start! people will trade for food/weapons to start. Hunger will be issue number 1 and that means food and seeds will be the number one trade item. then weapons because they will protect the food. ammo as well. After that probably items to grow food. So a horse/cow/chicken ect and growing equipment will be the second trading item.
Communities of like minded growers of food will get together. So skills will be a sort of trade item. People with skills in GROWING FOOD will be #1, then skills in fixing and inventing things (blacksmiths/mechanics/inventors) then medical people. So if you think just because you have knowledge of medicine will be #1 you will be wrong, hell I know farmers that won't go to the doctor now, and it's free even if they have pneumonia, all because they got work to do and going to the doctor takes time away from farming. lol
Years after communities are going strong is when some ass will come along and try to band communities together with a monetary system for trading. This is when things will go either way. 1. people will go with it or 2. the communities will run the ass off. I'd go with number 2, but people will remember the old ways and want it back it some way.
This is speculating that oil will be gone forever and to expensive to produce to use again. We will see

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Yes, if those evacuating the cities came to us to learn how to live out here it would be a win win situation. Mostly I read how they'll over run those already here, blow them away and take what they want. That type of thinking is what prompted this thread. That type of action would ensure more hardship than need be. We can grow food enough to share, but only if we're alive to do it and the ground isn't raped and ruined.

Absolutely. It is a fine line when dealing with that kind of stuff. You would need to build a large community that you can trust to deal with any hostile mobs. But first you have to be able to gather the RIGHT kind of people. Anybody who steps out of line should be dealt with swiftly, but justly. When you have amassed a community of people who are working together towards the same goal and following all the rules, then you have a mighty force to be reckoned with. That is what we need. That is what this world is lacking right now. I hate to say this, but a SHTF scenario may just be what the world needs right now. Lets just hope there is more good than evil should that happen.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I can see the OP's point. While I don't have the funds to purchase any land currently if I were to "bug out" rest assured that my survival skills and ability to subsist off the land along with the things I bring along would make me valuable to others. Like I would HAVE to be. If SHTF it is not going to be a good idea to go around killing people just so you feel like some post-apocalyptic badass. Let me let you in on something:

if we are in a SHTF scenario going it completely alone will not be wise. Being in a large group "village" type numbers around 40-50 people with varying strengths in different fields (doctors teachers farmers etc) to have a productive and comfortable life trying to rebuild the world. Going off on a shooting rampage because you feel like you've waited for an apocalypse will NOT work because you're going to make alot more enemies than friends. Going onto someone's land and stealing food is WRONG and that's true before or after the SHTF. For the most part in our world smart and good people figure out a way to subsist. Stealing and murdering because you like "Fallout 3" will get your head blown off quickly.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverApologize
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

I ALWAYS, tell the truth.

Look me up. G.F**o*
Stationed at the following:
- Bentwaters, UK
- Woodbridge, UK
- Spangalim, GER
- Offutt AFB, NB
- Witchita Falls, TX

Again, I will survive, LOL. I think I will be OK. City Slicker who appears to be a Halo Fan and War movie Fan. Go back to your fantasy land and TRULY Prepare. I will GLADLY assist you in the events to come! GLADLY...

Ha, you give me a good laugh! Well I am pretty good at Halo as well, lol.

Truth of the matter is, I am not going to beleve some random person I met on the internet that I have absolutely no idea about. How simple is it to make up your own credientials... hum?!? pretty damn easy. And fact of the matter is, you also have no idea who you are talking to. So lets not jump to conclusions here, shall we.

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

One of the golden rules is never become overconfident. (ie) Full of yourself.
And never brag.

See my previous posts if you think I am being over confident.

Originally posted by mamabeth

I am a 55 year old grandma with minor arthritis.
I can also stop someone with a gun and I do
make kill shots everytime,head and chest.
I am also a proud member of the USCCA!

Not sure if I understand your point..... A lot of people know how to use a weapon, which I beleive is an absolutely essentail skill in todays world. Kudos to you

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05
I can see the OP's point. While I don't have the funds to purchase any land currently if I were to "bug out" rest assured that my survival skills and ability to subsist off the land along with the things I bring along would make me valuable to others. Like I would HAVE to be. If SHTF it is not going to be a good idea to go around killing people just so you feel like some post-apocalyptic badass. Let me let you in on something:

if we are in a SHTF scenario going it completely alone will not be wise. Being in a large group "village" type numbers around 40-50 people with varying strengths in different fields (doctors teachers farmers etc) to have a productive and comfortable life trying to rebuild the world. Going off on a shooting rampage because you feel like you've waited for an apocalypse will NOT work because you're going to make alot more enemies than friends. Going onto someone's land and stealing food is WRONG and that's true before or after the SHTF. For the most part in our world smart and good people figure out a way to subsist. Stealing and murdering because you like "Fallout 3" will get your head blown off quickly.

Hopefully those kinds of people will kill themselves off first, leaving little resistance for the good people to deal with.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Of which you started when you claimed that in your OP "If the SHTF many of us already in the country/hills/boonies will not take kindly to a bunch of city folk pouring in and squatting on our farmlands, in our woods, and on our mountains acting as if they have the right to be there.."

Fact of the matter is, if this did ever happen we would all need to obviously work together. not blow away the "city-slickers" because they are trying to find refuge on "your" land. If anything like this did happen, I can assure you that it would not be your land. As if you have any more right to a specific location on this planet than anybody else.

So you see, we wouldn't be here in the first place if you would have chosen your words more carefully

So make up your mind... you want to help us now or you want to shoot us for coming on your land.... now I'm really confused ?!?!?

edit on 7-1-2011 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dachende
reply to post by SeenMyShare

It is this moronic type of thinking that will probably get us into trouble in the first place.

I know for sure, I'll be opening my doors when TSHTF to anyone who needs it.

Ah a more evolved person! Thank goodness. You share my sentiments precisely. Your power and authority exceeds that of the selfish me first gone toting ____ by many orders of magnitude.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

"fire mission... over.... OP guy's hill....send 1 HE round.over... add 100...left 100...fire for effect.over...out."
There now its not yours and is now mine. ....you can run but never hide

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I agree with you for the most part about the idea of running for the hills to be stupid however.

If the SHTF many of us already in the country/hills/boonies will not take kindly to a bunch of city folk pouring in and squatting on our farmlands, in our woods, and on our mountains acting as if they have the right to be there..

This is a huge double standard when it comes to country and city folk. Country people maintain the idea that they (collectivley) own LARGE geographical areas like mountain ranges and forrests. People from the city think more along the lines of what is mine is mine.
So the country people get bent about the idea of " city people commin to our mountains", but i have not ever heard anyone complain about "them country people comming to my Los Angeles".

Don't think that those of us already in the rural locations will welcome you with open arms. Its nearly as dangerous for bug outers in the wilds as it will be in the cities, except in the wilds you'll be faced with folk who know how to live there, know the area well, and will in most cases use deadly force to protect it.

This is why if anything happens im staying home, if there is anything this survival board has tought me it is that when SHTF survivalists all fight over HUGE plots of land and just want to run around killing each other. So long term survivalists will kill each other off while people like me get by without problems.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

And if you had a strong back and weren't afraid of callouses you'd be welcome to share our food, shelter and water.
I have a thread on ATS called Community Survival - Looking beyond the chaos and it pretty much describes what you said about banding together.

edit on 7/1/2011 by SeenMyShare because: fixed a typo

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
You Yanks are lucky! Vast open spaces and guns. The UK has NONE of those two things, it would be a game of who had the biggest muscles the highest fitness and the most stamina, i'm in a town which is kind of a peninsula with a population of around 60,000 with only 1 way out unless you have a fast boat and has the some of the roughest and toughest parts in the country, and if you yanks think you have it hard if TSHTF then think again, because the UK and Europe will be going back to it's barbaric roots, punching someone to death is much harder than pulling a trigger.

I understand where the OP is coming from but just don't forget the world isn't made of just the U.S because the country people in the UK would be f*cked trying to defend land because people in the UK at least where i come from, travel in packs and would be hunting in packs.
edit on 7/1/2011 by BarmyBilly because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join