It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head to the hills.......... what?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mike184ever

Because an explosive tipped arrow and a bada$$ headband really will allow you to destroy any opposition singlehandedly.

I know you're mostly joking about the movie addiction but you're absolutely right that the movies everyone has seen a million times completely color what we think will happen when reality will most likely be a dulled down, boring, and much less glamorous version of the video games and movies that are leading people to believe they are awesome and really could survive more than a few hours in the world they are imagining.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
WOW seenmyshare? Only this many flags and this many responces? I agree with you for the most part.. Does'nt sound like you'll get a friendly hand in the City.. If ATSers knew who you were/are.
All I'm sayin...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

thanks for seeing my humor and reality...From the Cinima standpoint every author/director has the camera on a bleak and hopeless land so so empty....City and country folks both will have their hands full in any given Apocalyptic scenario. Nobody on the thread mentioned tooth care as critical to survival. How many of us here on this thread know they can extract a tooth without breaking it off upon extraction...How many know they can deal with Isolation,the worst enemy of the mountain man. Seriously how many days can you stand off from a secluded cabin deep in the hills and not make contact, not knowing how your presence will be received. People have this weird idea in there heads that it will be glory days,,, no more taxes and the only people in my face, well I can just shoot them,right? Well wrong.If people loose their humanity through the course of any event they are no better than a wild animal.

It is my opinion that we here on these pages learned that humans through the course of an Apocalyptic scenario must not give up on humanity.

It is also my opinion that I can steal the eggs out of SeenMyShare's henhouse any time I like and leave her with that "Fresh Clucked" look on her face

Lastly my opinion is that sitting around the coffee table cleaning weapons dont make you ready for a nuclear winter

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dachende
reply to post by SeenMyShare

It is this moronic type of thinking that will probably get us into trouble in the first place.

I know for sure, I'll be opening my doors when TSHTF to anyone who needs it.

I think it's your type of thinking that will get your family killed. I personally feel I've done my moral duty to tell people what I think is coming. After getting nothing but ridicule, my "spreading the message" days are over. I will help my neighbors on each side of me, as their safety is to my benefit, and my family members. But others are on their own.. I have seen enough of the bad side of human nature in my life to have a realistic view of what people turn into when facing hard times. if you want to turn your home into an aid center, and help all the idiots who were too stupid to see the handwritting on the wall---go ahead. I'll feed my family, and help my closest neighbors, and call it good.
I would encourage anyone, before they want to go Mother Teresa in an economic chaos situation, better do some research, and find out what people turn into when they get hungry. It's your call.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I plan to help the public, when I can without taking undue risks.

I plan to set my self up as a sort of "Judge Roy Bean" type, and be the source of both groceries as well as "law and order" as I feel like it. I'd use the Constitution, Revised Statutes of Texas, and a copy of Black's Law Dictionary

That'd be in everyone's interest. I could help people, found a civic community, and make the rules at the same time.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

people in a panic will not be thinking about anyone but themselves and their immediate family if even that some people are just that selfish. I live in the city but am lucky to have a farming family, so I know where I will end up. And I agree as someone who knows the minds of country folk, ignorant invaders who have no clue how to survive without a cell phone and god forbid having to forage for food instead of just going to a store are not going to survive. Although if you have goods to trade with those already in the "hills" you may be welcome or shot for what you have on you.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I wonder how many here know the proper etiquette for approaching someones camp or home in the hills.

Its the same as the cowboys used in the 1800s.

I am a old miner/prospector and have visited many people in the hills and never had a problem and made good friends with many.

I have also run into a number of city folk that have told me of being met by hill folk with guns and ask to leave. They did not know proper etiquette and were spotted as city folk right there..

I have been offered a cold beer and food and the next time i stopped by i brought beer or food.

I move in to old mining town to open up a small mine near the town.
First thing i noticed was they had a volunteer fire department. A few days later i saw someone at the fire house and stopped and joined the volunteer fire department.
When they found out i was a trained firefighter/EMT with mine rescue and heavy rescue training i became a local miner right there..I stayed for 5 years with no problems. And help when ever i needed it.

If i want to take my motor home and stay for the summer now i would have a place to park and if SHTF i would be welcome.

edit on 17-1-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I llive in a fairly rural area, not far from the mountains and sea (Med). It is an old village with a number of houses that have not been occupied for years.

If the STHTF, we, as a village, will stay put and work together. We feel that we have the skill-set to stay put and make a go of it. Depending on the visitor's attitiude, all will be welcomed with open arms and housed, as long as they are willing to integrate and get their hands dirty.

We are all humans. We have the right to fight for survival and if can assist in any way, without risk of injury or death to me of my loved ones, by f**k I will help.
edit on 17/1/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Watch out Lone Archer, I said that those wishing to integrate were required to pull their weight and was accused of promoting slavery. Personally, I don't think one person could farm enough on their own to feed a multitude, but that's just me. Call me lazy and selfish because I won't do all the work to feed 100 people nor supply the seeds to those people who were not willing to earn them. On a case by case basis those integrating will be evaluated. If they are able they must help and if they are not able they will be cared for, but the ratio of those working to those who are not must by necessity be higher.

Good plan for your community!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Yes but won't they still have to know the ATS handshake or at the least have an ATS t-shirt to be
recognized as a "friendly" by you?

edit on 17-1-2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I really see your point about protecting your land and not allowing squatters etc.....My parents are the same kind of people. "We already have land and family is all we're having on it if TSHTF." It's just their attitude like it doesn't matter if we have close friends staying with us at the time we're just supposed to say - Sorry you didn't prepare for this my parents will shoot you if I bring you out there. That's horrible if I had my own land I would say sticking together is the best way to survive possible a larger group could deter a larger threat if it ever came knocking as well as could do more work in a more efficient and faster way than a small group. Just a point...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonSpirit2

It isn't that others would not be welcomed. Its that there is just so many people the land can feed and without modern equipment the work is back breaking. One person or even a few could not sustain a large group without the large group chipping in to help. If they camp out on the growing land there is less to be grown. The best one could hope for is to feed 8 people per acre per year. Considering the conditions I'd realistically put that down to 4 or 5 per acre per year. Even so that's a lot of work. If one has five acres of workable land available that realistically will feed 20 - 25 people a year. Can you imagine hand working five acres with just two or three people? I can't. Yes, more people are needed but also those people need to be willing to pull their own weight.

One more thing. How much seed is put back? Enough to grow for a community and plant extra for the next year's seed? It only goes so far. Its nice to say you'd help all who came, but how far can that go? Do any of you keep enough seed to feed 20, 50, 100 or more people? We don't.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This might help a lot of people in their planning:

How Many Vegetable Seeds are in an Ounce? How Many Plants are Needed to Feed a Family of Four?

Isn't it annoying when seed companies list their inventory in ounces instead of seed numbers? And why is it so difficult to figure out how much to grow? Here's a list of ounce to seed number equivalency and how much to grow to feed a family of four.

The plant numbers given are the "thin to X inches apart" number. Not the original number needed to plant. For space you need to figure how far apart the plants need to be and how far apart the rows need to be. Then factor in how many people you plan to help and multiply your results by that number.

Here's another source:
How Much to Plant Per Person in the Vegetable Garden

To grow all the food for one person's needs for the whole year requires, for most people, at least 4,000 square feet—though some diet designs are possible that can use a smaller area.

Now, picture people tromping through or camping on the available planting ground. For an easy "resting" spot they ruin their own and other's food supply. Even if the person growing had enough seed or crops to spare it could so quickly be reduced to nothing for that year.
edit on 21/1/2011 by SeenMyShare because: Edited to add another link.

Edited to add one more thing. All of the above estimates for space and produce do not include planting the extra that is NOT eaten for seeds for the following year. It does not include the grains which take up extraordinary amounts of space to have a decent harvest that will last until the following year's harvest. It takes about two bushels of wheat to plan an acre and the harvest is roughly 40 bushels an acre if you're lucky. A bushel of wheat will make approximately 90 1lb loaves. Source - Wheat Facts That's not counting any grain grown to feed livestock, or to save seed for the following year.
edit on 21/1/2011 by SeenMyShare because: Edited to add more information.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'm reading the news.
New' s includes Huffington Post, Drudge Report, yeah Beck, Mother Earth News...and the Japan News releases......
NONE of them are reporting News for US with guidence and direction.
I know the thread is dead.... but..I'm posting.
ATS is getting some real legs. Watch..

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I have plans for bugging in and bugging out. I choose my bug out location very carefully. I may live in the suburbs at the moment but I was raised in a small rural town, but based on my location I am not to worried about neighbors.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Blatant bump because folks need this. And its a good topic.

And a second line to go over things, one more time....... is probably something worth doing.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
I'm simply amazed at the number of people who would kill to protect their bug out bag who think that people like me who already live on the land should just roll over and let you take my family's and neighbors' food and supplies!!

I agree with what your saying fully.

The problem is you will never be able to explain your position to most people who refuse to prep or live a self sufficient lifestyle. They have spent their entire lives on the tit of someone who provides all they think they are entitled to.

They will all talk about what they want but very, very few are actually willing to work towards it. If someone won't give it to them then they will take it from those who cared enough to think ahead and plan.

I am in the same boat you are but I quit preaching to people long ago.

One thing those people don't think about is that I am not an island. I am not out here all alone with my poor little land to protect. I live among many people who feel as I do and to even get to my land you have to venture across many other plots of land.

Most likely if your causing trouble of taking what isn't yours you won't even make it to my property.

Everybody here has very large gardens, animals, guard dogs, firearms and are more than willing to protect whats theirs.

It's not as simple as picking on one land owner and over powering and taking what you want. Be prepared to take on a whole country side. If anything bad happened like a raid or gun play around here there are about 40-50 people who would come running and be heavily armed to assist. (as I would for them)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Its ok youll be waiting a LOOOONG TIME for the STHTF , i got news for you mate , in another 20 years we will all be still talking about the impending doom that almost always NEVER arrives. enjoy your countryside ^^ coz youll have it to yourself for a lot longer.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Spoke like a true Celt!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I agree with what the OP is saying. I am from the city but I have my crap figured out. Gonna hunker down for a few weeks then move on out to the country once all the panickers who left killed themselves off.

OP I would be worried for the first month or so when the "golden hoard" starts pouring in. After a month or so the smart, prepared people will start showing up. Because anyone who has a plan in the city should know not to leave with everyone else. Thats how you get killed or robbed, AND piss off people like the OP lol. OP if I were you I would make pipe bombs or something just in case

I have seeds, condoms, tampoonies, pads, ammo, alcohol and what not for barter when I do leave town. My ultimate goal would be to find a permanent spot on a farm and lend a hand. More helping hands and community the better.

This is just my opinion and idea's that I think COULD happen and i'm prepared for it.

Just look at the Vancouver riot, people rioted over nothing, just imagine how sheeple will act when they are cut off and desperate and hungry. BEWARE OF THE "GOLDEN HOARD"!

top topics

<< 18  19  20   >>

join