It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Meteor Sightings Across 5 U.S. States

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
It could be a case of the old chinese whispers, FEMA may very well have contacted NORAD to see if it was space debris, which would make sense, so the statement that 'FEMA had talked to NORAD about what everyone saw that night" turned into NORAD told FEMA there was to be heightened activity. It doesn't appear to be their department, they deal with space junk, it would be like saying that astronomers at NASA are supposed to be tracking whales or something I guess.
It does seem a little worrying that there appears to be no set system to detect sizeable objects entering our stmosphere, if there is one we should find out who it is.

Here is the official information page the space control centre at Cheyenne Mountain, it does say that it only tracks man-made objects:

www.cheyennemountain.af.mil...

And this news story seems to be all over the place, saying that NORAD didn't track the object:

www.thekansascitychannel.com...

[edit on 15-7-2004 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
They track UFO's too! I dont believe for a minuite that they only track man made things. I bet if it enters our airspace and they spot it, they will check it out. Here is an example:

Peter Davenport at the National Reporting Center reports, "We received numerous reports that one or more red/orange changing to blue ovals were seen over Andrews Air Force Base on July 26, 2002." Their existence was first indicated on radio station WTOP because several listeners called in confirming the sighting. NORAD radar spotted a sphere and fighters were scrambled, but the they had disappeared. The 113th Air Wing keeps pilots and armed jets on 24-hour alert at Andrews to respond to incidents as part of an air defense system. Fox and MSNBC reported that "Renny Rogers of Waldorf claims, " Just before two in the morning, he saw a large blue ball of light streaking across the sky. But it was the military jets that really startled him. The jets were right on its tail."

www.aufosg.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I finally got a follow-up from Mr. Passey at FEMA:

I spoke with contacts at NORAD. They have no role with meteor activity.
Despite investigation, they are not sure how the stations you cited came up
with the information. The bottom line is that there was no NORAD-FEMA
communication about meteor activity. US Strategic Command, a Department of
Defense command, tracks man-made space debris, but we have not found a good
federal contact for meteor activity. I hope this answers your questions.

Dave Passey
FEMA Public Affairs

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I know that Space Command tracks man-made objects orbiting Earth and monitors them for stability and possible break-up reporting their data to NORAD. I assume that they only have so many trackers available and those are dedicated to specific objects...So I guess I am letting them off the hook for not tracking this thing. I agree with you that if they had picked it up..they would have tracked it. I live in East Texas and my husband and myself have been searching for someone talking about this thing..glad to have found you! From all of the sightings....shouldn't this have crashed somewhere? Did they just swoop down and gather it up? It was a large object.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Just as a follow up on my earleir post, I thought this might be relevant. It was in the body of an email so I have no link. Sorry

Whitley Strieber's Unknown Country
Mystery Booms
08-Sep-2004

Mysterious booms have been reported before in California, and now a
serious of loud booming noises is shaking houses in Indiana.
In Fort Wayne, Justin Brugger says, "It's a quick, solid, boom-type
noise. One lady described it as a tremor." It first started happening
about a month ago. He says, "I thought it might be construction�but
that doesn't appear to be it."

Brugger plans to plot boom locations on a map from calls he receives
from residents who've heard them, in order to find out where they're
coming from. So far, they seem to be occurring at random times on a
long, narrow stretch of land.

Denise Porter-Ross of the mayor's office says, "It's just a little
disturbing. You're hearing these noises, but you go out to investigate
and nothing's there."

Originally posted by astrocreep
At about 3:30 (EDT) am this morning (7-13-04) a large explosion over East KY and West WVA brought me and my family out of bed in a panic. The first thing we did was check the weather but no clouds or storms close by. I did see a faint flash of light reflected through a mirror facing the window just a half second after the explosion but wasn't looking out of it as we were still trying to gain composure. I thought at first it might have been thunder but waited to see and no others were heard. If it was a lightening strike, it was a fluke and it was right on top of us.

With all the severe weather we've had this year, I have gotten to the point that most of the time thunder doesn't even wake me now but this was a brief instant explosion and then all was quiet again. I went outside and saw nothing and heard nothing else. I can't say it was a meteor. It could have been a sonic boom which is what it sounded most like to me. What ever it was, it was almost deafening.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I couldn't find a better thread to post this in, but a few months ago I saw a meteor strike North of Santa Cruz.

You could actually see the fireball and the trail of smoke behind it. For a moment, it lit up the night sky. I hope I get to see this again in my lifetime.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by KindaGrayish

lol so you dig a post up from 7 years ago ^_^ gwizz mr

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join